"Marvel on Disney+" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDawg

Nerfariously planning

Disney's upcoming streaming service will be hosting a Marvel-based live-action series.
There isn’t much information about the series, but it will be released exclusively on Disney’s streaming service. The service is set to launch in 2019. The Star Wars series will be joined by three other live-action shows also based on Disney properties; one will be based on Marvel, another on Monster’s Inc. and a third one based on the High School Musical franchise.

Yes, it's really light on material right now, but it looks like it won't be anything already announced, but something completely new. Maybe a place to get Damage Control, Inc? I wonder if the Netflix series will slowly pull away to Disney's service if it is a success.

Announced Series

1. Falcon & Winter Soldier
(title confirmed 4/11/19)
Tentative Release: August 2020/Fall 2020 (Disney+ Year 1)

2. WandaVision (title confirmed 4/11/19)
Tentative Release: Spring 2021 (Disney+ Year 2)

3. Loki (title confirmed 11/8/18)
Tentative Release: Spring 2021 (Disney+ Year 2)

4. What If?
Tentative Release:
Summer 2021

5. Hawkeye
Tentative Release:
Fall 2021

6. Ms. Marvel
Tentative Release:
TBA

7. Moon Knight
Tentative Release:
TBA

8. She-Hulk
Tentative Release:
TBA

Rumored

Rocket Raccoon and Groot

Lady Sif

Power Pack

Young Avengers

Last edited by a moderator:

Frontier

Staff member
I think I've heard rumors that the Netflix shows might migrate into this service so Disney has all their Marvel properties under one roof, streaming-wise, and that it was partially why they were looking to obtain 21st Century Fox for their catalogue (plus the X-Men and FF).

I'm curious if it's related to the John Ridley or Laurence Fishburne projects...

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
New York Times posted a report about the Disney Streaming Service
  • No current plans to move Netflix TV series to Disney's but it will happen "as time goes on"
  • Plans for new TV shows, plural, to debut on the streaming service
  • Also, starting with Captain Marvel, the MCU movies will debut on the streaming service instead of Netflix after their run in theaters.

glennbyrnes

Why would Disney even need a streaming service of its own now that it has a controlling interest in Hulu?

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I could imagine Power Pack (last rumored for Freeform) or a reworked attempt at New Warriors being Marvel's live-action entry for the streaming service while Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur was the first animated offering. It will be interesting to see what property they might actually have in mind, and who would be the show's developers.
Why would Disney even need a streaming service of its own now that it has a controlling interest in Hulu?
The article mentions that Hulu will be getting the stuff meant for older audiences, like the Animation Domination shows. The Disney streaming service will remain family friendly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Several characters in the MCU will get their own limited series, including Scarlet Witch and Loki. The series will focus on those that won't have their own stand alone movies but the budget will still be "hefty" enough to rival major studio productions. Marvel Studios retains creative control and Feige is heavily involved in development.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
If true, this is potentially HUGE. Like others have said, with the MCU getting X-Men and FF, there simply isn't room to give everyone a movie. This is the way out: giving popular supporting characters their own miniseries (and with the same actors, to boot!)

It also raises a bunch of possibilities:

Would it be possible for some characters to debut on these shows, and then appear in a movie (not necessarily their own)?

Could these ever crossover with other Marvel shows (like SHIELD, or Netflix)? I know it seems unlikely, but isn't Netflix's Sabrina show in the same continuity as the CW Riverdale show?

And finally....will these make the Netflix/ABC/Hulu shows obsolete? Will they even still be considered "canon" at the end of the day? So many questions.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Plus, they could even do other formats like the TV Movie/TV Special length, revive the One-Short shorts... revive cancelled shows like Agent Carter. I'd love to see them do a limited series with Ghost Rider/Robbie.

I think the canon will be okay. The Netflix shows are staying where they are. And I mean they're just starting to reference more of the MCU like ABC shows do. Hulu - hard to say - they're content with being stand alone but who knows.

As for what this means about Marvel Television -- we'll see. It's been speculated for a bit now that they may be reorganized under Marvel Studios again with Perlmutter working for the feds and in the wake of the Fox deal. NYCC is right around the corner, so Loeb will be there. Hopefully, someone asks him about it.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Hawkeye wasn't mentioned, but I hope he gets a miniseries or something. I feel like from all the MCU characters, he could use that the most.

the greenman

One thing came to mind are the One-Shots. Would love a series of "What if?"'s. Funny would've expected a Hawkeye film. I also wonder if this is a backdoor for a Hulk film.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Honestly? Out of all of the new streaming services like this, and DC Universe, and CBS All Access, and Boomerang, this is the service I can picture subscribing to regularly. The reason I pulled the trigger on Netflix last month is that there was enough content on it of stuff I wanted to watch to justify 8 bucks a month. Hulu is something I'll look into too after I've explored every inch of Netflix. But like those, Disney Play will probably actually have a ton of shows I'd want to actually watch.

Frontier

Staff member
Several characters in the MCU will get their own limited series, including Scarlet Witch and Loki. The series will focus on those that won't have their own stand alone movies but the budget will still be "hefty" enough to rival major studio productions. Marvel Studios retains creative control and Feige is heavily involved in development.
Wow, I can't say I saw this coming :eek:.

In concept this reminds me of how comic book companies would do mini-series spotlighting secondary or supporting characters or even the odd villain series or two :cool:.

Just a lot of possibilities with this, especially regarding how it will balance out with the movies and the other Marvel television offerings, although it seems there will be a more direct connection with the former with Feige involved :).

Story wise I'm curious how they might plan to fit these series in with the movie timeline. Will Loki's series be a prequel or did they just spoil that he faked his death again :p?

Maybe Wanda's could explore her learning more about her powers...maybe even introducing the more magical nature of her abilities :anime:?

And if the solo movie Avengers won't appear, I wonder who of the main movie heroes they would be able to get for this...could we see a return of the Warriors Three and Sif in Loki's series? Will Vision turn up in some form in Scarlet Witch :D?

Just so much potential for who could get their own series...maybe give War Machine a solo series that lets him shine outside of Tony's shadow, maybe something with Okoye or Shuri, give Sharon Carter her own "Agent Carter" show to really let her shine...just so many possibilities :proud:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Nick Fury could be another one. The untold missions he's been up to with Hill and his Helicarrier crew.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
For Wanda if they are soon introducing mutants, this could spend sometime on her history. Retcon or not.
Perhaps but I wonder what's left to elaborate on. They only really talked out their parents' death and how they were buried under rubble for days looking at the Stark weapon and got involved in the anti-foreigner movement then accepted Dr. List's offer.

A good time, imo, would be between Civil War and Infinity War since that's the real point she's on her own until she rekindled things with Vision in Scotland. But then again, they know what happens in Avengers 4 so they could as well be planning a story taking place after it if she survives.

I admit it's been awhile since I saw Age of Ultron, but I think they only went to far to say the Scepter (really the Mind Stone) awakened what was already within the twins - which could later be explained to be a latent mutant gene. I suppose they could also add their parents that were killed by the Stark weapon were just fosters. So nothing is really contradicted .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these proposals:

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.

Featured Posts