Maxwell Atoms is writing a Billy & Mandy movie.

TFormersMarvel

Atoms made a follow-up post on the matter, since some people have blown up the story. As PinkieLopBun pointed out, Atoms was referring to his initial firing from 2009. Therefore. Tom Aschiem nor Sam Register would even be in power at Cartoon Network to make such as call (Tom's already been scapegoated on Twitter). This only adds to the theory that it's Michael Ouweleen, who was active and currently Adult Swim's president, would be a deterrent.

Last edited:

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Atoms made a follow-up post on the matter, since some people have blown up the story. As PinkieLopBun pointed out, Atoms was referring to his initial firing from 2008. Therefore. Tom Aschiem nor Sam Register would even be in power at Cartoon Network to make such as call (Tom's already been scapegoated on Twitter). This only adds to the theory that it's Michael Ouweleen, who was active and currently Adult Swim's president, would be a deterrent.

Ooooh okay okay. Thank you so much for the clarification.

Honestly, thinking back on my last post, I feel stupid for writing it, so I decided to deleted it. I almost become one of those people who like to jump on the hate bandwagon rather than taking a step back and wait and see on what the results were or doing some research. For that, I apologize.

With that said, it's true that Atoms (and everyone) was fired from CN in 2009 due to the exces favoring CN Real and Tom Ashciem didn't became the CEO of CN until over a decade later. So I'll cut Tom some slack.

If it was Michael Owueleen who actually pulled that move, then that's very disappointing.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I do have to wonder if some of the details of Atoms story is off. I mean he said Genndy was fired in 2009 but... wasn't Genndy in the middle of Sym Bionic Titan then which was only cancelled in 2011 because CN couldn't get a proper licensing deal for toys for that series thus axed it? So Genndy wouldn't of been let go then. That said 2009 was a big transitional period for the network where a lot of the line up and talent was switching out for a new guard even if some were people who worked on the previous era of shows. And regardless, yeah I get why Atoms wouldn't make an Adult Swim show. IMHO he really should of gotten a pitch together for HBO Max and have a Billy and Mandy revival movie on their streaming site as that is something I could see happening. Besides Samurai Jack season 5 (which let's face it probably got the ball rolling again because Genndy had the Hotel Transylvania movies which were such big hits) Adult Swim isn't really any better then CN in wanting to revive classic Cartoon Network properties. Maybe their own now but not CN stuff nor even from original CN creators either. Though at least they seem more upfront about it then actual CN whose whole "oh kids wouldn't recognize that anymore" is total bull. They just only want to make redos of Cartoons the original creative team wouldn't want to work on to do their own thing (see Powerpuff Girls 2016) then you know hire back the original team who have an idea to not just redo what was done before but add to it.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Well, that certainly explains why 2009 was a crap year for CN.
All just for the sake of cashing in on Nick and Disney. Wonderful.
Capture984.PNG

Perla Magica

Digital Love
I do have to wonder if some of the details of Atoms story is off. I mean he said Genndy was fired in 2009 but... wasn't Genndy in the middle of Sym Bionic Titan then which was only cancelled in 2011 because CN couldn't get a proper licensing deal for toys for that series thus axed it? So Genndy wouldn't of been let go then. That said 2009 was a big transitional period for the network where a lot of the line up and talent was switching out for a new guard even if some were people who worked on the previous era of shows. And regardless, yeah I get why Atoms wouldn't make an Adult Swim show. IMHO he really should of gotten a pitch together for HBO Max and have a Billy and Mandy revival movie on their streaming site as that is something I could see happening.
HBO Max would work too, and to be honest, every show that is well known from TV cable gets a revival/reboot on streaming platform and became successful.

Well, that certainly explains why 2009 was a crap year for CN.
Exactly.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Stuart Snyder became the president of CN in May 2007.

Maxwell is talking about the 9 CN originals that ended in September 2007 - November 2008.

-Squirrel Boy (September 2007)
-The Grim Adventures of and Mandy (November 2007)
-Codename: Kids Next Door (January 2008)
-Camp Lazlo (March 2008)
-Ben 10 (April 2008, replaced by a sequel without Man of Action's involvement, who they started developing Generator Rex)
-Class of 3000 (May 2008)
-Ed Edd n Eddy (June 2008, followed by a movie that got postponed forever in the USA)
-My Gym Partner's a Monkey (November 2008)
-Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (November 2008, followed by last 5 episodes on May 3rd, 2009, pretty much no reruns after November 2008)

The following 4 programs were also picked up by Jim Samples, but cancelled soon by Stuart Snyder. They premiered after the horrible meeting in 2007, so of course they were not cancelled immediately. That would have been a complete waste of money.

-Transformers Animated (May 2009)
-The Secret Saturdays (January 2010)
-Chowder (August 2010)
-The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack (August 2010)

Ben 10: Alien Force was continued, but there was some executive meddling: the writers were asked to make Ben more childish in season 3. The series was continued as Ben 10: Ultimate Alien in 2010.

The first cartoons that got greenlight by Stuart Snyder were Adventure Time, Generator Rex and Regular Show. By the time Regular Show had premiered, the entire network had been cleared from Jim Samples' cartoons.

Last edited:

The new guy

Stuart Snyder became the president of CN in May 2007.

Maxwell is talking about the 9 CN originals that ended in September 2007 - November 2008.

-Squirrel Boy (September 2007)
-The Grim Adventures of and Mandy (November 2007)
-Codename: Kids Next Door (January 2008)
-Camp Lazlo (March 2008)
-Ben 10 (April 2008, replaced by a sequel without Man of Action's involvement, who they started developping Generator Rex)
-Class of 3000 (May 2008)
-Ed Edd n Eddy (June 2008, followed by a movie that got postponed forever in the USA)
-My Gym Partner's a Monkey (November 2008)
-Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (November 2008, followed by last 5 episodes on May 3rd, 2009, pretty much no reruns after November 2008)

The following 4 programs were also picked up by Jim Samples, but cancelled soon by Stuart Snyder. They premiered after the horrible meeting in 2007, so of course they were not cancelled immediately. That would have been a complete waste of money.

-Transformers Animated (May 2009)
-The Secret Saturdays (January 2010)
-Chowder (August 2010)
-The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack (August 2010)

Ben 10: Alien Force was continued, but there was some executive meddling: the writers were asked to make Ben more childish in season 3. The series was continued as Ben 10: Ultimate Alien in 2010.

The first cartoon that got greenlight by Stuart Snyder was Adventure Time.
Actually Adventure time wasn't the first original Ben 10 alien force and Star Wars the clone wars were actually the first but I have a question why do they say on the cartoon network wiki and consider that Stuart Snyder was the person who greenlit chowder Transformers animated the marvelous misadventures of flapjack and the secret Saturdays when they were greenlit by Jim samples right before he left and why do they consider and say that Class of 3000 the last cartoon network original to be greenlit by Jim Samples

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
This is just something the wiki does, unfortunately. They do it for all presidents.

Ben 10: Hero Generation / Alien Force was announced in February 2007 by Jim Samples.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars wasn't made by CN Studios. They don't make any CGI cartoons (except the movie Firebreather).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A202F met Tapatalk

The new guy

This is just something the wiki does, unfortunately. They do it for all presidents.

Ben 10: Hero Generation / Alien Force was announced in February 2007 by Jim Samples.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars wasn't made by CN Studios. They don't make any CGI cartoons (except the movie Firebreather).

Ok I didn't find ben 10 hero generation in the February 2007 upfront but I found all the other shows you mentioned could it be possible that ben 10 hero generation was changed to ben 10 alien force during the Stuart Snyder era and Stuart Snyder is the one who gave the greenlight to Ben 10 alien force during his era and not Jim Samples and Jim Samples only greenlit the series when it was Ben 10 hero generation then Stuart Snyder came in and changed the series to ben 10 alien force and do you know why do the wikis do that and people start considering these cartoons are from this era and this president rather than the one before and from the previous president do you know why they do this and why do people start considering for example chowder from the stuart snyder era rather than the Jim Samples Era I wish you could answer all my questions

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
No, I don't know.

A name change doesn't mean much. We don't know if it were the creators or the executives who changed the name. It doesn't really matter that much, it's just a name.

The new guy

No, I don't know.

A name change doesn't mean much. We don't know if it were the creators or the executives who changed the name. It doesn't really matter that much, it's just a name.
Ok then why do they say that these shows were greenlit under this president when it was actually greenlit by the previous president and people start considering Chowder Transformers animated The marvelous misadventures of flapjack the secret Saturdays etc being Stuart Snyder era shows rather than Jim Samples era shows do you know why please I wish you could answer

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel

This article has a very important insight :O Maxwell Atoms was talking about Michael Ouweleen, who was the program director of Cartoon Network in 2006-2008 and also temporarily the placeholder president of CN in 2019-2020. Currently he is responsible for Adult Swim.

To me it seems obvious now that the people higher up at Turner Broadcasting System were dissatisfied with Cartoon Network in 2006. They gradually fired Jim Samples (replaced by Stuart Snyder), the program director (replaced by Michael Ouweleen), all execs from Georgia (first moved to LA, then fired) and nearly all of the creators at CN Studios. Wow.

Michael Ouweleen was some kind of ditcher (not sure if this is the right English word): first he had to fire everyone, and then he was given a different job.

And notice how Michael Ouweleen became president for 6 months in 2020! What does this mean for CN? Did he have to fire everyone again?

Last edited:

PM13

Anyone find it strange how they rejected the movie because they don't air the show and today's kids won't recognize the characters, yet they're airing Christmas specials of older shows that today's kids won't recognized either? Not to mention they have no plans of airing Billy and Mandy Save Christmas

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
To me it seems obvious now that the people higher up at Turner Broadcasting System were dissatisfied with Cartoon Network in 2006. They gradually fired Jim Samples (replaced by Stuart Snyder), the program director (replaced by Michael Ouweleen), all execs from Georgia (first moved to LA, then fired) and nearly all of the creators at CN Studios. Wow.
I thought Samples resigned. What I was thinking happened is that Snyder felt the direction he wanted to take the channel required new people and the mass firings stemmed from that.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
That also explains why Fridays, Cartoon Theater, Miguzi, got shuttered in 2007. And the likes of Billy and Mandy, Camp Lazlo, Class of 3000, Squirrel Boy, Ed Edd n Eddy, Kids Next Door, and Foster's are slowly ending their runs.

Anyone find it strange how they rejected the movie because they don't air the show and today's kids won't recognize the characters, yet they're airing Christmas specials of older shows that today's kids won't recognized either? Not to mention they have no plans of airing Billy and Mandy Save Christmas
Yeah. It does.
I thought Samples resigned. What I was thinking happened is that Snyder felt the direction he wanted to take the channel required new people and the mass firings stemmed from that.
Yeah, he resigned due the Boston Bomb scare.

Though, for me, I wouldn't be surprised if Fridays got canceled in 2007 due to the exces left, but I don't really know for sure.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Well, resigned and fired are very similar verbs in Hollywood... At Nickelodeon, Cyma Zarghami, Dan Schneider and Butch Hartman also recently "resigned". But Cyma Zarghami's new job clearly pays less. They were clearly just fired.

Snyder started in 2007, but Michael Ouweleen was already hired in 2006 for firing people. So it was people higher up changing the network, not Snyder.

Furthermore, the plans for live-action on CN were already there before Snyder started in July 2007. In this Toonzone thread from February 2007, forum members speculated that now that Jim Samples was gone, maybe CN would finally stop airing live-action (lol).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts