"MeTV Toons" Network Launching on June 25th

Mandouga

They’re airing an Al Brodax Popeye short, but with the second Famous Studios theme. This must mean Weigel also brought in Hearst Entertainment as a partner, because Hearst Entertainment has the rights to everything based on a King Features character that was made for TV (which for some reason, includes the Betty Boop TV specials that came out in the 1980s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: Moe

Mejo

Jukebox Bird
They just ran a black and white Matty's Funday Funnies print of the Casper short, Boo Hoo Baby.

Universal really just gave MeTV these prints without looking at them first lol.
While watching Casper and Company, I was pleasantly surprise to see an episode of the 90's revival of Richie Rich on there. Think they'll also ad the 90's revival of Baby Huey there as well?
Possibly but I doubt it. All of 1996 Richie Rich cartoons (sans Cleaned Out for some odd reason) aired as part of The Harveytoons Show, which is where Casper and Company mostly got their prints from. None of the 1994 Baby Huey cartoons aired as part of The Harveytoons Show however.

Speaking of The Haverytoons Show, the intro showed up 3 TIMES during today’s broadcast of Casper and Company.

Moe

Cincinnati is out of luck for now.
It seems like Birmingham is out of luck too because WVTM-TV is owned by Hearst like WLWT-TV.

@JMTV Cord Cutters News claimed MeTV Toons on Miami station is live now, any confirmation?

Mandouga

Jonny Quest is airing right now. At first it looked like it was going to be the version of the intro that leaves out the show's logo, but I was surprised to see that not only does the logo appear, but it even finishes the sponsor spot introduction:

“Jonny Quest, brought to you by…”

Not only that, it works, too, because it is being brought to everyone by…MeTV Toons!

Incidentally, the reason it has sponsor spots is because it originally aired in prime time. It might have to do with the fact that this is Hanna-Barbera's first ever action-adventure series.

EDIT: Now they’re showing The Underdog Show, but for some reason that “defies all explanation”(maybe), after showing the Underdog segment intro…they switched to a Tennessee Tuxedo segment. Now, I don't THINK MeTV Toons pulled a Cartoon Network here, so how could this have happened…or is everyone supposed to assume that this is somehow the master tape Weigel was given?…

Last edited:

Mejo

Jukebox Bird
EDIT: Now they’re showing The Underdog Show, but for some reason that “defies all explanation”(maybe), after showing the Underdog segment intro…they switched to a Tennessee Tuxedo segment. Now, I don't THINK MeTV Toons pulled a Cartoon Network here, so how could this have happened…or is everyone supposed to assume that this is somehow the master tape Weigel was given?…

That's because they're showing the Golden Books version (though with the standard syndicated opening and the Underdog song intro from before the second Underdog segment replacing the new intro at the beginning), which used Underdog mainly as an umbrella title for nearly all of the Total TV cartoons, regardless of whether they originally aired on Underdog or not (heck some episodes of that version don't even contain ANY Underdog parts).

(On the subject, a lot of people online keep saying that Tennessee Tuxedo was originally part of Underdog. He wasn't initially. He originally aired as part of his own show called Tennessee Tuxedo and His Tales and only started to air alongside Underdog around 1966, when both of those cartoons (alongside Commander McBragg's) were featured in a syndicated series entitled Cartoon Cut Ups. This was later repackaged as the first season of the 1970s syndicated version of The Underdog Show, creating the confusion.)

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Jonny Quest is airing right now. At first it looked like it was going to be the version of the intro that leaves out the show's logo, but I was surprised to see that not only does the logo appear, but it even finishes the sponsor spot introduction:

Not only that, it works, too, because it is being brought to everyone by…MeTV Toons!

Incidentally, the reason it has sponsor spots is because it originally aired in prime time. It might have to do with the fact
It's like that on Tubi as well. So Warner is disturbing a good version there.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I watched Captain Planet and Histeria this morning. I liked Captain Planet as a little kid, but it does not hold up (I already knew that). I haven’t seen Histeria in close in a quarter century. I watched it occasionally before school as I want to say it was on either before or after pokemon on Kids WB. I enjoyed it well enough but it was never one of my absolute faves. I remember having a friend in the 3rd grade who loved it and was always talking about it. He was the one who told me about it. I think it holds up but I think the main “problem” is that it purports to be educational, but much of it is played for laughs, exaggerated, or parodied. As an adult, I can tell what’s a joke and what’s not but if you were a literal minded kid? Not so much.

aegisrawks

Incidentally, the reason it has sponsor spots is because it originally aired in prime time. It might have to do with the fact that this is Hanna-Barbera's first ever action-adventure series.

I now absolutely HAVE to see this!

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
I watched Captain Planet and Histeria this morning. I liked Captain Planet as a little kid, but it does not hold up (I already knew that). I haven’t seen Histeria in close in a quarter century. I watched it occasionally before school as I want to say it was on either before or after pokemon on Kids WB. I enjoyed it well enough but it was never one of my absolute faves. I remember having a friend in the 3rd grade who loved it and was always talking about it. He was the one who told me about it. I think it holds up but I think the main “problem” is that it purports to be educational, but much of it is played for laughs, exaggerated, or parodied. As an adult, I can tell what’s a joke and what’s not but if you were a literal minded kid? Not so much.
The exaggerated aspect is part of the point of the show: the show is trying to be educational while maintaining the wit from other Silver Age WB cartoons and maintaining the interest of younger viewers (who would be turned be into toilet humor and references to stuff that they are familiar with).

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I think it holds up but I think the main “problem” is that it purports to be educational, but much of it is played for laughs, exaggerated, or parodied. As an adult, I can tell what’s a joke and what’s not but if you were a literal minded kid? Not so much.
It's educational in the sense that it brings up historical concepts and quick popular facts. This could be the a show where kid first even hears about Oppenheimer, Leonardo da Vinci, etc. and maybe encourages them to go and learn more in the proper channels. It was a good example of "Hey, we have to make this kind of programming, might as well make a program in our own style"

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Sex On Planet X?? How'd that get through? We're talking the 1960s here!

sexonplanetx.jpg

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Sparklefan1234 wrote on Classic Speedy's profile.
I just saw this on Reddit and instantly thought of you. ;)

Least favourite cartoon?

For me it's Poochini, I dislike the torment that Poochini goes through most of the time.
It's been 17 years and 17 days since the Problem Solverz pilot for Adult Swim (Neon Knome) was made! Even though I do prefer the final product, I think this pilot would make for a good series on [as].
Episode 2 of The Amazing Digital Circus just crossed the 100 million views mark!

I dont know if CNNickFan is a new member or an old one I didnt notice before but I loved their post on Jamie Kellner. A much needed voice of Reason

Featured Posts