"MeTV Toons" Network Launching on June 25th

Mandouga

Like I said, how do you mess up this badly?…

“The copy Warner Bros. gave them”? That’s a laugh. Not saying it’s a lie, just that it’s ridiculous when the “Rise and Shine” opening has been shown for years, AND showing full openings usually isn’t a problem for Weigel/MeTV, well, not the last time I checked, anyway.

In the meantime, I’m going to stick with Tubi, Max, Boomerang, and the DVD release for the original series (I repeat: the original series). I’m sorry everyone, but there is just no excuse, especially since Weigel is serious about “the celebration, curation, and education of classic animation”, and since one of their MeTV Toons promos has a screenshot of the very end of the “Rise and Shine” opening (the TV set).

Mandouga

Okay, so I saw a "Cartoon College" segment a while ago about The Flintstones and its two openings (and how the ending of the first seemed to inspire a certain...other animated sitcom). If I had to guess, it was probably their way of saying "Yes, we know, but we have our reasons.", or something like that.

It doesn't change what I said before, though. I really wish they would show the right openings for each episode.

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
Admittedly haven't seen a lot of these classic Looney Tunes before. "One Meat Brawl" is pretty funny.

"The Cat's Bah"...is a little questionable, to say the least. Funny that the "censored version" from The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show cuts the intro because Pepe is smoking, like that's the objectionable thing here.

Hulkwummy

I downloaded Philo TV so I can get Me TV Toons, but I can't find it on Amazon Prime, what do I do?

Moe

Like I said, how do you mess up this badly?…

“The copy Warner Bros. gave them”? That’s a laugh. Not saying it’s a lie, just that it’s ridiculous when the “Rise and Shine” opening has been shown for years, AND showing full openings usually isn’t a problem for Weigel/MeTV, well, not the last time I checked, anyway.

In the meantime, I’m going to stick with Tubi, Max, Boomerang, and the DVD release for the original series (I repeat: the original series). I’m sorry everyone, but there is just no excuse, especially since Weigel is serious about “the celebration, curation, and education of classic animation”, and since one of their MeTV Toons promos has a screenshot of the very end of the “Rise and Shine” opening (the TV set).
After I saw your post, I had to pay attention closely and checked The Flintstones that I bought via iTunes.

iTunes version has bowling scene at open, “Rise and Shine” playing after bowl scene and throw newspaper at Fred scene that are all absent in MeTV and MeTV Toons.

I believe those cut is done by WB before they sold syndication package to networks like MeTV.

Mandouga

Okay, Rocky and Bullwinkle is weird. It seems like the narrator's voice was completely redone here. It's defintely not the original. OTOH, the other voices are the same, but what's up with the narrator? Is this from a DVD or something?

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I know that MeTV Toons is out today, and as much as I want to see it. I'm going to hold off on it for a while because:

1) I'm very busy IRL right now.

2) I heard that some of the members didn't get MeTV Toons over the air on Day 1 launch(Some are, but not all of them). So, it's going to take a while for things to get settle. I decided to stay back a bit.

3) I did try to look for MeTV Toons in my local area (Miami) that was listed on Rabbit Ears (Channel 33.7 WBFSTV7), and it wasn't even there. I did look up MeTV Toons' official website, and my local area wasn't listed yet either, which is odd. So I guess it won't be out until things get settled after its launch, who knows?

4) I'm not interested in paying Friendly TV or Philo TV just watch one channel. Plus, both of those platforms never appeal to me anyway.

And 5) I know this might sound like a bit of betrayal, but.....I've been on a Adult Swim kick lately. Hear me out. Ever since I've been loving Smiling Friends since late April of this year, I'd grew more fondly of Adult Swim as time went on. I've begin watching their old classic shows, loving the old black and white text bumpers, pool bumpers, old bumps music, and stuff like that. It was a trip. Sure, I was aggravated when AS taking over CN primetime hours and kids and family content being part of the adult label, but besides that though, I have zero problem with Adult Swim. I like Adult Swim a lot. So this is going to be my hyperfixation for a while lol

So yeah, I'm still interest in MeTV Toons, but not for the time being.

DeanBurrito25

Oh my gosh, I get MeTV Toons in my neck of the woods and I didn't even think it would be available. All of those years of not watching cable at my grandma's house have prepared me for this moment in time! (Probably.)

No feed issues on my end. The channel is not an HD broadcast, but my MeTV affiliate isn't, either. Beggars can't be choosers. Nice to put my antenna to use on a channel that isn't my local CBS or NBC affiliate. I look forward to catching whatever retro toons are playing on my remote/off days.

This is all so cool and still hard to imagine as real.

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
Speed Racer is officially on the air, for the first time in about two decades (the show hopped around quite a few channels, including Cartoon Network, Boomerang, and the Speed Channel at one point). I'm not holding out for a ton of anime, but Astro Boy (1963) and Princess Knight would fit the spirit of the channel.

One little nerdy complaint I have about the station is that the V-chip rating icons are very ugly with large untrimmed borders. At least they only appear at the start of the show and not after every commercial break.

Moe

Speed Racer is officially on the air, for the first time in about two decades (the show hopped around quite a few channels, including Cartoon Network, Boomerang, and the Speed Channel at one point).
MTV aired Speed Racers in 1993.

Cartoons90

Which show currently on the MeTV Toons schedule ran the closest to the modern era? Like, I know the Bible Adventures program ran into the early 1990s, but I believe The Mask: The Animated Series ran all the way to 1997. Did anything go later?

Moe

Which show currently on the MeTV Toons schedule ran the closest to the modern era? Like, I know the Bible Adventures program ran into the early 1990s, but I believe The Mask: The Animated Series ran all the way to 1997. Did anything go later?
Yes, youngest show would be Duck Dodgers coming this weekend and this show came out in 2003.

Review Metabee

Who gets stuck with all the bad luck?
I am pretty much sure it's between Baby Looney Tunes and Duck Dodgers

Mejo

Jukebox Bird
Okay, Rocky and Bullwinkle is weird. It seems like the narrator's voice was completely redone here. It's defintely not the original. OTOH, the other voices are the same, but what's up with the narrator? Is this from a DVD or something?
The narrator’s voice wasn’t re-recorded all. The print they used was the 1997 version seen on DVD that had the laugh track used only on the first few episode of Rocky and His Friends removed. This was done by utilizing separate voice and effect tracks, which is why the voices sound very clear and re-recorded.

Also, I just want to comment that after viewing the first broadcast of Casper and Company, it has some oddities that are pretty interesting to me:

All the shorts in the episode are sourced from 90s Harveytoons Show prints except for the first short (Boo Bop), which is actually a 50s Havey Films print. Even though the intro for The Harveytoons Show doesn’t open the episode, it DOES later appear in it…after the 3rd short (Clown on the Farm if you’re wondering). Also, Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow is the redub from the 90s, which is in sharp contrast to the DVD version of the 90s print, which uses the original audiotrack.

Also, for some reason (despite a full Harveytoons Show version of it already existing), Git Along Lil' Duckie was shown on Cartoon All Stars as a Toontake.

Oh, one more thing. Apparently Wacky Races had a new restoration:

Last edited:

Mandouga

I believe the version of Wacky Races being shown is the DVD version, which brings back the narrator’s closing narration (along with Dick’s lines near the end; you can even hear Muttley laughing right at the end). It’s also the version that’s on the Boomerang streaming service (I think…).

wiley207

The narrator’s voice wasn’t re-recorded all. The print they used was the 1997 version seen on DVD that had the laugh track used only on the first few episode of Rocky and His Friends removed. This was done by utilizing separate voice and effect tracks, which is why the voices sound very clear and re-recorded.
Yep. I remember when I saw a recording of the first episode with the laugh track, that confirmed the voice tracks were indeed original, compared to my initially thinking they re-recorded the narrator and June Foray's characters' lines. It's neat how they actually went back to the original soundtrack elements in remastering that episode to try and remove the laugh track.

So anyways, I signed up for Frndly TV to get MeTV Toons, since it's unavailable to those with cable or satellite. (My parents started using cable TV in the late 1980s, a little before I was born.) So far I'm liking what I see!
1719443005989.png

Additionally, MeTV Toons is likely the first place the WB restoration of "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!" has aired on television in the USA, especially since Boomerang still shows the 1990s Turner prints (save for "Go Away Ghost Ship" being a fuzzy time-compressed 1980s syndication print).

powergate92

Power Rangers and Stargate fan
Apparently Weigel has decided to switch what Channel MeTV Toons is on in Phoenix at the last minute and putting on 40.1 instead of 40.2. Or at least that's what it now shows on their website and RabbitEars. I'll have to check on the TV later after work.
Looks like they switched the Channel in Phoenix again and they added a notice to the website this time saying MeTV Toons is KEJR 40.2 and MeTV+ will continue to be on KEJR 40.1 and Cox Channel 56.
1000009250.png

Also, KMOH in Kingman, AZ apparently isn't going to launch until the Fall now.
1000009251.png

powergate92

Power Rangers and Stargate fan
Apparently MeTV Toons Saturday night block of 80s cartoons will be appropriately name "Totally 80s Animated." Also, I'm noticing more paid ads during the commercial breaks than yesterday. I wonder if they limited paid ads on the first day to focus the commercial breaks on promoting their other shows.

1000009253.jpg

1000009255.jpg

Last edited:

Moe

Also, I just want to comment that after viewing the first broadcast of Casper and Company, it has some oddities that are pretty interesting to me:

All the shorts in the episode are sourced from 90s Harveytoons Show prints except for the first short (Boo Bop), which is actually a 50s Havey Films print. Even though the intro for The Harveytoons Show doesn’t open the episode, it DOES later appear in it…after the 3rd short (Clown on the Farm if you’re wondering). Also, Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow is the redub from the 90s, which is in sharp contrast to the DVD version of the 90s print, which uses the original audiotrack.

Also, for some reason (despite a full Harveytoons Show version of it already existing), Git Along Lil' Duckie was shown on Cartoon All Stars as a Toontake.

Oh, one more thing. Apparently Wacky Races had a new restoration:
Just wonder, why studios used laugh tracks back in 1960s and 1970s? I cannot hear the laugh tracks and don't know about how feel the difference between with and without one.

Looks like they switched the Channel in Phoenix again and they added a notice to the website this time saying MeTV Toons is KEJR 40.2 and MeTV+ will continue to be on KEJR 40.1 and Cox Channel 56.View attachment 308939
Also, KMOH in Kingman, AZ apparently isn't going to launch until the Fall now.
View attachment 308940
It looks like Weigel may had tech issue that end up MeTV Toons showed on first channel on 6/25 and they fixed and go back to second channel.

If there is change with MeTV+, cable subscribers likely notice cartoon shows air that is inconsistent with schedule that supposed to be Police Story.

That remind me few years ago about one Sinclair channel (The CW or MyNet) showed CHiPs with Charge! logo on it to be seen on cable and YouTube TV, so it was Sinclair had tech issue with channel and viewers weren't happy.

Apparently MeTV Toons Saturday night block of 80s cartoons will be appropriately name "Totally 80s Animated." Also, I'm noticing more paid ads during the commercial breaks than yesterday. I wonder if they limited paid ads on the first day to focus the commercial breaks on promoting their other shows.

View attachment 308941
View attachment 308942
Yes, I saw it on 6/25 and of course, weekend is 80s party.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts