"Monarch: Legacy of Monsters" Apple+ Series News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Premiere: November 17, 2023

There will be an Apple+ series run by Chris Black and Matt Fraction.
"Following the thunderous battle between Godzilla and the Titans that leveled San Francisco and the shocking new reality that monsters are real, the series explores one family's journey to uncover its buried secrets and a legacy linking them to the secret organization known as Monarch."

Related Threads:
-Godzilla (2014) News & Discussion
-Godzilla (2014) Talkback
-Kong: Skull Island News & Discussion
-Kong: Skull Island Talkback
-Godzilla: King of the Monsters News & Discussion
-Godzilla: King of the Monsters Talkback
-Godzilla vs. Kong News & Discussion
-Godzilla vs. Kong Talkback
-Godzilla x Kong: New Empire News & Discussion

Related Links:
-MONARCH Science

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Not how I expected the Monster-verse to expand, but I'm curious how many monsters will actually be in it...especially name monsters.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I wonder why it's going to be on Apple TV+ than on HBO Max, given that the Monsterverse is a co-production of Warner Bros. and Legendary Entertainment.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I wonder why it's going to be on Apple TV+ than on HBO Max, given that the Monsterverse is a co-production of Warner Bros. and Legendary Entertainment.
Behind the scenes stuff (Legendary wasn't happy about Warner Bros. putting their movies, including Godzilla vs. Kong, on HBO Max during the pandemic) or simply Apple+ had the highest bid.

the greenman

Behind the scenes stuff (Legendary wasn't happy about Warner Bros. putting their movies, including Godzilla vs. Kong, on HBO Max during the pandemic) or simply Apple+ had the highest bid.
Well, most of us "called it" years ago, that Legendary could sue WB over that. Especially since it was without notice to anyone at all.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Warner still likes to sell some of their series to other streaming services- for instance, Ted Lasso, which is also on Apple+, is a Warner production. I think they probably make more money selling off properties than they do when they bring their content to HBO Max.

the greenman

Warner still likes to sell some of their series to other streaming services- for instance, Ted Lasso, which is also on Apple+, is a Warner production. I think they probably make more money selling off properties than they do when they bring their content to HBO Max.
Well, they kept Friends & Sex & the City. So it all depends I guess.

I wish they (HBOmax) could have purchased certain IP's of MGM without having to take it all.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Well, pretty much any studio with a major streaming service does that, not just WB.

Frontier

Staff member
Sounds like a sitcom :p.

I'm actually surprised they seem to be able to use Godzilla and actual Titans. Did Toho sign off on this? Do they have the budget to pull this off o_O?

I would actually call it "Godzilla versus the Titans" and have it be a weekly show of Godzilla taking on new Kaiju every week...and maybe bringing back some old Toho favorites, but that's me being greedy :rolleyes2:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Sounds like a sitcom :p.

I'm actually surprised they seem to be able to use Godzilla and actual Titans. Did Toho sign off on this? Do they have the budget to pull this off o_O?

I would actually call it "Godzilla versus the Titans" and have it be a weekly show of Godzilla taking on new Kaiju every week...and maybe bringing back some old Toho favorites, but that's me being greedy :rolleyes2:.
The article seems to call it a working title so it could change at any point. I'm a little skeptical of how much of the Titans appear each episode because it's a streaming show -- but we'll see...

Frontier

Staff member
The article seems to call it a working title so it could change at any point. I'm a little skeptical of how much of the Titans appear each episode because it's a streaming show -- but we'll see...
I guess to some extent it depends on their budget, but I'm not sure what to really expect from this.

Comparatively we've got, say, Moon Knight where we had CGI monsters (briefly, and they worked around showing them at times) and Khonshu who appeared frequently but was only a major physical presence in maybe 2 episodes. But he (and the other CG Egyptian deities) were just about like Kaiju.

Then there's Halo on Paramount+ where it seemed like they had to write around using the Covenant as much as they possibly could.

I know they would never do it but I feel like using physical suits might help a bit.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Cast includes Anna Sawai, Ren Watabe, Kiersey Clemons, Joe Tippett and Elisa Lasowski. Series is set after the battle between Godzilla and the Titans that destroyed San Francisco in 2014's Godzilla. The drama follows a family as they uncover their hidden connection to Monarch, the government organization responsible for researching the Titans. Sawai will play Cate, a teacher who survived the attack—now known as G-Day and when she travels to Japan to settle some family matters, she discovers a secret that will upend her seemingly simple life. Watabe will star as Kentaro, "an intelligent, creative and curious young man who wants to learn more about his revered yet mysterious father." Clemons will portray May, an American who is described as having a "roguish exterior." Tippett will play Tim, an office worker who wants nothing more than to go an adventure. Laswoski portrays Duvall, a skilled agent with high-level confidence in herself and her abilities. The series was co-created by Chris Black and Matt Fraction , with the former also serving as showrunner. Matt Shakman will direct the first couple of episodes. All three will executive produce alongside Safehouse Pictures' Joby Harold and Tory Tunnell, and Hiro Matsuoka and Takemasa Arita of Toho Co. Ltd.

Started filming in Vancouver as "Hourglass."

Frontier

Staff member
Cast includes Anna Sawai, Ren Watabe, Kiersey Clemons, Joe Tippett and Elisa Lasowski. Series is set after the battle between Godzilla and the Titans that destroyed San Francisco in 2014's Godzilla. The drama follows a family as they uncover their hidden connection to Monarch, the government organization responsible for researching the Titans. Sawai will play Cate, a teacher who survived the attack—now known as G-Day and when she travels to Japan to settle some family matters, she discovers a secret that will upend her seemingly simple life. Watabe will star as Kentaro, "an intelligent, creative and curious young man who wants to learn more about his revered yet mysterious father." Clemons will portray May, an American who is described as having a "roguish exterior." Tippett will play Tim, an office worker who wants nothing more than to go an adventure. Laswoski portrays Duvall, a skilled agent with high-level confidence in herself and her abilities. The series was co-created by Chris Black and Matt Fraction , with the former also serving as showrunner. Matt Shakman will direct the first couple of episodes. All three will executive produce alongside Safehouse Pictures' Joby Harold and Tory Tunnell, and Hiro Matsuoka and Takemasa Arita of Toho Co. Ltd.

Started filming in Vancouver as "Hourglass."
Feels like the kind of plot that will focus more on the (cheaper) character drama and probably get away with showing as little Kaiju as possible :p.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts