"My Adventures With Superman" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Mandouga

Technically every adaptation would be an elseworld story.
I don't think so. All the other adaptations (the 1930s-40's movie serial; the Max Fleischer shorts; the radio series; the George Reeves series; Filmation's version; the Christopher Reeve movies; the 1980s "Superboy" series; the Ruby-Spears series from 1988; "Superman: The Animated Seres"; "Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman; yes, even the "Dark Knight Universe" version, not to mention all the "DC Universe" direct-to-video movies, and possibly others*), while each having their own ideas, are actual adaptations of the Superman story and his career as a crime fighter. This upcoming series, from what I can understand (at this point, I'll admit), focuses (or appears to focus) less on that, and more on the slice of life parts of it, more like a sitcom, you could say; something that any show can do. That, and as a previous poster mentioned, all three of them have just graduated college, and are apparently the same age. That by itself feels more like an "Elseworlds" story to me. For these reasons, IMHO, I don't really think it's fair to call any and other adaptations of the Superman story an Elseworlds story.

*I didn't mention SuperFriends, Justice League, Legion of Superheroes, or Young Justice since those are all ensemble series that aren't strictly about Superman. Also, I refuse to refer to the universe "Man of Steel" belongs to as the "DC Extended Universe", or other names like, but that's actually for another topic.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Tom Anschiem talked about My Adventures With Superman in this article. A few things of note:

1. While still an action show, it's also a romantic comedy.

2. Clark, Lois, and Jimmy are all college graduates who are in their early 20s.

Interesting, the rom com angle is gonna be fun. Article also mentioned Clark is still new to his powers.

hobbyfan

So in other words, this isn’t really Superman at all…or rather, it’s an “Elseworlds” version of Superman.

I know nobody said it, but I can’t see this as being in the same universe as “Batman: Caped Crusader”…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A number of years ago, Marvel did the same thing with Iron Man: Armored Adventures for Nickelodeon, in which Tony Stark, Pepper Potts, & James Rhodes were all de-aged to teenagers. Unfortunately, Armored Adventures didn't last very long.

I get what DC/WB is trying to do here, making Jimmy more of an equal instead of the traditional cub reporter (because who would be a cub reporter today, anyway?). With a 2 year commitment, they have some breathing room.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
A number of years ago, Marvel did the same thing with Iron Man: Armored Adventures for Nickelodeon, in which Tony Stark, Pepper Potts, & James Rhodes were all de-aged to teenagers. Unfortunately, Armored Adventures didn't last very long.
Armored Adventures lasted for 52 episodes, which might actually end up as equal or even longer than the 2 seasons worth of this show, depending on how many episodes a season is supposed to have.

Dragnatek

I don't think so. All the other adaptations (the 1930s-40's movie serial; the Max Fleischer shorts; the radio series; the George Reeves series; Filmation's version; the Christopher Reeve movies; the 1980s "Superboy" series; the Ruby-Spears series from 1988; "Superman: The Animated Seres"; "Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman; yes, even the "Dark Knight Universe" version, not to mention all the "DC Universe" direct-to-video movies, and possibly others*), while each having their own ideas, are actual adaptations of the Superman story and his career as a crime fighter. This upcoming series, from what I can understand (at this point, I'll admit), focuses (or appears to focus) less on that, and more on the slice of life parts of it, more like a sitcom, you could say; something that any show can do. That, and as a previous poster mentioned, all three of them have just graduated college, and are apparently the same age. That by itself feels more like an "Elseworlds" story to me. For these reasons, IMHO, I don't really think it's fair to call any and other adaptations of the Superman story an Elseworlds story.

*I didn't mention SuperFriends, Justice League, Legion of Superheroes, or Young Justice since those are all ensemble series that aren't strictly about Superman. Also, I refuse to refer to the universe "Man of Steel" belongs to as the "DC Extended Universe", or other names like, but that's actually for another topic.
What I mean is that only the comics is the main DC universe and every adaptation no matter how close to the source it is trying to be is still doing it's own thing and will make changes. In that sense all adoptions are elseworld stories. Yeah I know people prefer to use that term when HUGE changes are made. So I am splitting hairs but I stand by it.

Last edited:

hobbyfan

Armored Adventures lasted for 52 episodes, which might actually end up as equal or even longer than the 2 seasons worth of this show, depending on how many episodes a season is supposed to have.
2 seasons of 26, which is standard for some WB series these days.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I might have missed it, but I didn't notice any confirmation of 26 episodes per season yet. It's possible and pretty likely, though. And of course I wouldn't mind seeing the show get renewed past this initial 2 seasons order.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So, remember when I posted that article about My Adventures With Superman? Well, at 8:15 in this video, Tom Anschiem mentioned how the Christopher Reeves Superman movies are a large inspiration for this series.

Frontier

Staff member
Except DC Superhero Girls I assume. Maybe we are finally going to see a shift to marketing to boys and girls.
Although DC Superhero Girls, at least the current take, always struck me as trying to market to both girls and boys in terms of their take ;).
So, remember when I posted that article about My Adventures With Superman? Well, at 8:15 in this video, Tom Anschiem mentioned how the Christopher Reeves Superman movies are a large inspiration for this series.

I wonder if this will impact the cast's characterization...particularly Clark and Lois :).

Will Lex be walking around with Miss Tessmacher and Otis :p?

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Although DC Superhero Girls, at least the current take, always struck me as trying to market to both girls and boys in terms of their take ;).

I would have happily watched DC Superhero Girls when I was a young boy. They should be making more shows that hits both demographics equally, so this one sounds like a ton of fun.

reflection01

I would have happily watched DC Superhero Girls when I was a young boy. They should be making more shows that hits both demographics equally, so this one sounds like a ton of fun.

Same here. And I grew up in the 80s which there were maybe a handful of shows with multiple male and female characters with broad appeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Cynthia Furey is writing for the series. She's worked at Sesame Workshop and also worked on Clifford The Big Red Dog (2019), The Ghost And Molly McGee, Hello Jack! The Kindness Show, and Unlimited Squirrels.

Screenshot_20210704-190158.png

Screenshot_20210704-190209.png

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I'd say looking at Josie Campbell's profile could help out a bit. After working as a story editor for She Ra And The Princesses Of Power and Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous, she returned to Warner Brothers in 2020 to work on projects currently in development, with one of them being this series.

Screenshot_20210704-201517.png

Spotlight

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts