"Netflix" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Light Lucario

Staff member
What about having some, if not most, of Netflix's films get theatrical runs a couple days before hitting the streamer, but AMC, Regal, and other chains across America and the world allow those films to be shown on their screens?
I just don't really see the appeal of Netflix teaming up with AMC, Regal or any of the other theater chains. It goes against Netflix's business model and more importantly, I don't think that it would really help them. Using theaters to preview their original movies feels pretty backwards to me. The whole point of Netflix originals is that you can only watch them on Netflix. I don't think that theaters showing Netflix movies on the big screen is really going to make people more eager to create a Netflix account. People would just as easily wait a few days to watch those movies on Netflix instead of going to a theater, especially when they can watch Netflix movies whenever they want that way as opposed to having a limited amount of time to watch them on a big screen.

Like I said before, Netflix not having their movies playing in theaters isn't one of their problems. There are bigger problems with their business model that they should address instead. They put a lot of money into a lot of projects, but a lot of their original content are seen as disposable. Aside from some of their huge hits, they don't tend to stand out that much, which is a problem when they make so many and want to get a lot of money back. They've often emphasized quantity over quality, but they should care about quality instead of just the view numbers or the algorithm. Having a weekly release schedule instead of releasing a ton of episodes all at once might help them out too. They should obviously do more with their animation projects and not treat their creative teams like dirt too. Using movie theaters as promos for their upcoming movies wouldn't address any of these issues and I don't think more people would sign up for Netflix just because they saw some of their movies in theaters.

DogBoneController

Cool THR article about the moments that led to Netflix's current sorry state.

Surreal Kangaroo

Staff member
I honestly think many people are opting for streaming services that are owned by major entertainment studios. Netflix has only been making their own stuff for like a decade, versus the almost century for stuff like Disney and Warner Bros.

DogBoneController

I honestly think many people are opting for streaming services that are owned by major entertainment studios. Netflix has only been making their own stuff for like a decade, versus the almost century for stuff like Disney and Warner Bros.
People still have limits though. Many people who have streaming services still pay for cable, and will only pay for services they'll use the most.

I only have Peacock because it's free with my family's Xfinity account, and the only way I can see myself getting Paramount+ is if Paramount gave special discounts to subscribers of Showtime (not just OTT but cable/satellite/digital subs as well). Heck, they could take the HBO Max route and make Paramount+ default with *any* Showtime subscription. But Paramount is just dropping the ball and that's why their stock is oversold to hell.

Update:
Netflix laying off writers today. Almost all are from Tudum.

Last edited:

TsWade2

That's very sad to hear, but thank goodness I didn't subscribe Netflix. And Disney+ is the only streaming service I subscribed.

the greenman

Honestly guys, I hadn't been on Netflix since 2020 (ironically the year the pandemic began). My reasoning was and is simple, once they picked up the film "Cuties", and I looked what all it was about. I unsubscribed. They asked for the reason, and I specifically mentioned that film, and I would no longer support them.

Besides that, as we know more streaming services were on their way, so I had too much on my plate.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
I hadn’t been subscribed to Netflix since last year when we got Disney+. Assuming it doesn’t get cancelled, Wings of Fire is the only Netflix show I’m dying to see probably on one of my family members Netflix, most of their other upcoming series don’t interest me that much. That said I am pretty hopeful they improve on what shows they release and how they handle them.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
This was announced a couple days ago, but Space Force was cancelled by Netflix:

I think Netflix is going to be very surprised that a ton of people are going to drop it now. It makes no sense to hook them on new TV shows and then cancel them for something cheaper. If we know Netflix is never going to see anything of quality through, there's no need to actually watch it. All of the wounds Netflix is currently suffering are entirely self-inflicted. And anybody could have told them this from the outset.

zeebre12

Does NBCUniversal have some kind of clause built into it's contract with Netflix that the kids series it produces for them can then be shown on their own linear Dreamworks channel/sold to other channels or how does it work?

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
If Netflix does end up collapsing, would the other streaming services (Disney+, HBO Max, Peacock, Hulu, Paramount+,etc.) still be able to survive?

Light Lucario

Staff member
If Netflix does end up collapsing, would the other streaming services (Disney+, HBO Max, Peacock, Hulu, Paramount+,etc.) still be able to survive?
Why wouldn't they? Streaming services won't disappear or struggle to survive without Netflix. Disney+ and HBO Max in particular seem to be doing quite well, so I don't think that they're in any danger regardless. Netflix is arguably the most mainstream out of the streaming services out there, but there are still other successful streaming services too.

I still think that people are a bit quick to assume that Netflix is going to go under. That is definitely a possibility, but despite all of the backlash they've dealt with lately and losing money, I don't think that their situation is that dire yet. It easily could get to that point if they don't start working on their various problems, but I don't think that they're there yet.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Of course they would. Besides Amazon Prime, Netflix is the streaming service I'm currently subscribed to I already watch the least. The only thing it going under would have on my streaming habits is that I would save around 9 bucks a month.

jokerbeans2091

Here was Netflix can do to stop their decline
1. GIVE NEW SHOWS A CHANCE AND STOP CANCELLING EVERYTHING AFTER A SEASON. they do this continuously.
2.Don’t raise prices because it’s absolutely ridiculous.
3. Locking down on password sharing is kinda ridiculous.
4. looking at the increased competition netflix is pretty much done for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandouga

Looks like Netflix will might be coming out with a ad-supported tier by the end of 2022.

I think it’s been said already, but what’s the point if you have to pay for it anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
If Netflix does end up collapsing, would the other streaming services (Disney+, HBO Max, Peacock, Hulu, Paramount+ etc.) still be able to survive?
Of course, given that they're owned by the Big Five film studios, while Netflix doesn't own a major or mini-major film studios unlike Amazon, who's been the owner of MGM for the past few months.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these proposals:

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.

Featured Posts