"Pryde of the X-Men" Classic Talkback (Spoilers)

"Pryde of the X-Men" - Rate & Comment

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 7 20.6%

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 6 17.6%

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • **1/2

Votes: 1 2.9%

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • *1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1/2

• Total voters

Bat-Fan Beyond

What's funny about "Pryde of The X-men" is that most people believe it to be the original or lost pilot of the 90's X-Men animated series, and it's not. It may have been a pilot for an X-Men series that was never produced, but it is not the pilot for the 90's X-Men series. If anything, it is a spin-off of sorts to Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends -- similar animation style (more like Marvel's superior Sunbow stuff than crappy Saban) and similar voice actors (including the same Australian Wolverine).

Spider-Friends

www.spider-friends.com
...most people believe it to be the original or lost pilot of the 90's X-Men animated series, and it's not.

Just last week, I did an interview with Rick Hoberg, who did the storyboards for "Pryde" and the 90's X-Men. "Pryde" was intended, of course, to sell an X-Men cartoon that was similar to it. When that failed, they actually used "Pryde" as an example to sell the 90's cartoon to Fox. So, technically, it was a pilot for the 90's cartoon.

Bat-Fan Beyond

Just last week, I did an interview with Rick Hoberg, who did the storyboards for "Pryde" and the 90's X-Men. "Pryde" was intended, of course, to sell an X-Men cartoon that was similar to it. When that failed, they actually used "Pryde" as an example to sell the 90's cartoon to Fox. So, technically, it was a pilot for the 90's cartoon.

Ok, so maybe I'm wrong. But I still think it's more reminiscent of the 80's Marvel shows than the 90's.

Dayspring

I hope they use this as an excuse to include it as bonus "lost episode/pilot" on the X-Men TAS dvd sets.

marvelfan101

wear could I find this iterview :confused:

Hypestyle

Pretty much.

I love the game too. Always wished that there was a console port .

adamantium laser beam! heh-heh.. i guess it's too late for someone to try and port it as an easter egg..

maybe write to konami or the X-box network where you can download-purchase old school games..

Does Disney have the rights to this? and if they do, what are the chances of it appearing on the fifth X-Men Tas boxset? Is there anything we as fans can do to possibly request this to Disney?

Spider-Friends

www.spider-friends.com
Does Disney have the rights to this? and if they do, what are the chances of it appearing on the fifth X-Men Tas boxset? Is there anything we as fans can do to possibly request this to Disney?

Jim Harvey has a contact at Disney and has relayed the information that "Pryde" would be a welcome bonus feature on any of the X-Men releases. You can read his original post about it here.

Monarch

Smirkpocalypse
Does Disney have the rights to this?

Yes, they do. They own all of the Marvel back catalogue from the late 90s on back. If they somehow don't know where Pryde is in the Saban inventory, it's probably filed alongside the Robocop 1988 animated series.

Michael24

Staff member
I still have my VHS copy, but I would welcome Pryde being a bonus feature on one of these new volumes.

Also have many fond memories of the arcade game. (One of the few coin-op games I could ever beat on a regular basis.) Fortunately, the Beach Boardwalk in nearby Santa Cruz, California actually still has it, so I always make sure and spend a few dollars' worth of quarters on it whenever I visit. :)

TMC1982

Is this episode the thing the X-Men arcade game by Konami based on? I love that game

I never really understood why the Konami X-Men arcade game was never released for consoles (maybe because it would've been somewhat confusing for viewers who were more familar with the FOX series at the time).

TMC1982

Just saw this for the first time, and it was pretty cool.

The Good
  • Darn good animation, and it's aged a lot better than a number of 80s shows I could mention.
  • Good voices for the most part. Michael Bell makes an excellent Cyclops, and John Stephenson is perfect as Professor X. I also liked Pat Fraley's Pyro and Ronald Gans's Magneto. Frank Welker made a cool Nightcrawler (he's also Toad and Lockheed), while Earl Boen was (heh) solid as Colossus, and Kath Soucie, thank the merciful heavens, is not totally annoying as Kitty Pryde. The only voice who doesn't work is Neil Ross's Wolverine; while Ross is not bad in the role, the Australian accent is utterly inappropriate.
The Bad
  • Um, who the heck is Dazzler? And why does she have such a lame power? Sure, it has its' uses, but if I had to take Wolverine and the choice of Kitty Pryde or Dazzler on a mission, I'd take Kitty.
  • Script is kinda lame at times, although there are some good lines like the first exchange between Juggernaut and Xavier.
Overall, I'd give this **** out of *****.

I read elsewhere thar Earl Boen actually did Magneto's voice, Neil Ross did Nightcrawler's voice, and Dan Gilvezan (the voice of Spider-Man on Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends) did the voice of Colossus.

Bat-Fan Beyond

Hey! I love Dazzler! And I'm so glad they went went with her 80's new wave look, rather than her 70's disco look.

Sure, she's a strange choice, but she was actually on the team in the Uncanny X-men comic at the time.

Trevor

Boy, I'll have to pop my DVD of the show in someday and rewatch it. It's been a few months since I last watched it.

TMC1982

Hey! I love Dazzler! And I'm so glad they went went with her 80's new wave look, rather than her 70's disco look.

Sure, she's a strange choice, but she was actually on the team in the Uncanny X-men comic at the time.

When I first saw the pilot, I was mostly familiar with the FOX show at the time. So I didn't know who Dazzler or even Kitty Pryde were at the time. I guess I saw Dazzler filling Rogue's role (the other main "X-Woman" besides Storm), Kitty filling Jubliee's role (i.e. the young female recuit), Nightcrawler playing Gambit's role (since both seemed to be a bit of a romantic, flirt with the ladies), and Colossus playing Beast's role (i.e. the resident "big, brawny and strong guy").

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts