The 13 “Deaths” of Cartoon Network (Editorial)

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
A major issue is that the only streaming services that get a grade of B or higher in terms of animation are Crunchyroll, Hidive, and Disney+. I do think Max is trying to be the successor to Adult Swim as Max seems to respect adult comedy, and nothing else. That's why Harley Quinn, Velma, Rick and Morty, and Smiling Friends get the red carpet treatment and Scavengers Reign and Jellystone are chopped liver. It's not just Max that's failing non adult comedy animation as Paramount +'s mistreatment of Star Trek Prodigy in favor of the adult comedy Star Trek Lower Decks proves that they are just as bad as Max in terms of genre nepotism. Adult action cartoon Ark: The Animated Series got dumped at random with no real promotion or release date announcement. This seems to be streaming service's hierarchy: live action>adult comedy cartoons>adult action cartoons>kids/family action cartoons (at least if based on legacy franchise like Transformers)>kids/family comedy based on legacy franchises or video games (Animaniacs, Cuphead)>family/kids/teen/young adult dramedy cartoons like Infinity Train=kids/family comedy not based on legacy franchises=adult drama like Pantheon and Scavengers Reign (the obvious bottom three for streaming).

I still feel a streaming service would do best to succeed Cartoon Network and Adult Swim as animation destination, but one specifically tied to animation rather than one where where animation is the second class citizen to the live action stuff. There is still the issue of whether the hypothetical Cartoons+ streaming service would have the same genre biases that led to Infinity Train, Scavengers Reign, and Pantheon getting the boot. Maybe they won't refuse to make family friendly comedy and action cartoons not based on legacy franchises like all the current streamers do. Currently, Paramount+ and Max have done a lot of bad in terms of how animation has been handled and fail as successors to Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network/Adult Swim.

aegisrawks

The Disney name is practically synonymous with animation, so the presence of the Disney cartoon library was always kind of implied.
This post right here is just the most heartbreaking thing ever. If WARNER BROS is not associated with animation WHAT THE HELL IS!? Disney may have earned more than 9 Oscars for their animation shorts, but it wasnt Disney who came to refine the soul of cartoons. Animated movies yes but not cartoons. I know they do live action movies and are a famous Live Action studio with HUNDREDS of acclaimed and famous movies, but if its animation side is not EVEN IMPLIED then something here has FAILED.

And this is from someone who DIDNT love Warner Bros until becoming an adult and reappraising them with the gift of hindsight. I am not saying this because I am just nostalgia goggle'd their way into loving their cartoons.

EDIT: A more accurate way of doing this post is that Disney is a kid friendly brand. You go and subscribe to Disney+ because you want to keep your kiddo happy and watch something as a family. Or heck, just your kiddo using the account to see cartoons on their own. Which is a thing that doesnt really happen with Max especially before it dropped the HBO part.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
This post right here is just the most heartbreaking thing ever. If WARNER BROS is not associated with animation WHAT THE HELL IS!? Disney may have earned more than 9 Oscars for their animation shorts, but it wasnt Disney who came to refine the soul of cartoons. Animated movies yes but not cartoons. I know they do live action movies and are a famous Live Action studio with HUNDREDS of acclaimed and famous movies, but if its animation side is not EVEN IMPLIED then something here has FAILED.

Warner has so little faith in it's brand that their streaming service is just Max rather than Warner Bros. Max. Previously, they thought HBO was a stronger brand than Warner. Probably the last time Warner Bros. had a lot of recognizability as an animation brand was when Kids' WB ran. The thing is that before the steaming wars, the general public probably didn't associate Cartoon Network with Warner and recognized Cartoon Network as its own brand. Paramount+ does seem to heavily advertise Nickelodeon's presence, but Max doesn't seem to advertise Cartoon Network/Adult Swim much at all. Most Max commercials seem to not even acknowledge they have cartoons. Paramount+ seems like they already are the Nickelodeon replacement (although what happened with Star Trek Prodigy is still fresh in people's minds), but Max doesn't seem want to advertise themselves as the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim replacement. Warner seems embarrassed by their animation and seems to want to advertise themselves as a live action streaming service.

aegisrawks

Warner has so little faith in it's brand that their streaming service is just Max rather than Warner Bros. Max. Previously, they thought HBO was a stronger brand than Warner. Probably the last time Warner Bros. had a lot of recognizability as an animation brand was when Kids' WB ran. The thing is that before the steaming wars, the general public probably didn't associate Cartoon Network with Warner and recognized Cartoon Network as its own brand. Paramount+ does seem to heavily advertise Nickelodeon's presence, but Max doesn't seem to advertise Cartoon Network/Adult Swim much at all. Most Max commercials seem to not even acknowledge they have cartoons. Paramount+ seems like they already are the Nickelodeon replacement (although what happened with Star Trek Prodigy is still fresh in people's minds), but Max doesn't seem want to advertise themselves as the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim replacement. Warner seems embarrassed by their animation and seems to want to advertise themselves as a live action streaming service.
This is so true. And its not just animation that suffers under Max, they bought Sesame Street and proceded to treat it awfully.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
This is so true. And its not just animation that suffers under Max, they bought Sesame Street and proceded to treat it awfully.
Warner Brothers didn't actually buy Sesame Street. It's still owned by Sesame Workshop. WB acquired the broadcasting rights to the show so that the new episodes would debut on HBO and would then air on PBS 6 months later. Nonetheless, your point is still a valid one.

Like I said before: If my streaming service had Scooby Doo, Tom and Jerry,, The Flintstones, Hanna-Barbera and the freakin' Looney Tunes on it, I would mention it.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
It's not just Max that's failing non adult comedy animation as Paramount +'s mistreatment of Star Trek Prodigy in favor of the adult comedy Star Trek Lower Decks proves that they are just as bad as Max in terms of genre nepotism.
Well, then again, that’s all coming back to bite Paramount’s ass as Star Trek Lower Decks is going to be ending soon, so..
Warner has so little faith in its brand that their streaming service is just Max rather than Warner Bros. Max. Previously, they thought HBO was a stronger brand than Warner. Probably the last time Warner Bros. had a lot of recognizability as an animation brand was when Kids' WB ran. The thing is that before the steaming wars, the general public probably didn't associate Cartoon Network with Warner and recognized Cartoon Network as its own brand. Paramount+ does seem to heavily advertise Nickelodeon's presence, but Max doesn't seem to advertise Cartoon Network/Adult Swim much at all. Most Max commercials seem to not even acknowledge they have cartoons. Paramount+ seems like they already are the Nickelodeon replacement (although what happened with Star Trek Prodigy is still fresh in people's minds), but Max doesn't seem want to advertise themselves as the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim replacement. Warner seems embarrassed by their animation and seems to want to advertise themselves as a live action streaming service.
THIS!!!

The whole situation with HBO Max all around it just a mess. They failed their own customers. They failed their fan base. They failed their own talent. And they failed themselves as a business all for the purpose of trying to be the next Netflix. Now, they gotta learn the hard way.

aegisrawks

Warner Brothers didn't actually buy Sesame Street. It's still owned by Sesame Workshop. WB acquired the broadcasting rights to the show so that the new episodes would debut on HBO and would then air on PBS 6 months later. Nonetheless, your point is still a valid one.

Like I said before: If my streaming service had Scooby Doo, Tom and Jerry,, The Flintstones, Hanna-Barbera and the freakin' Looney Tunes on it, I would mention it.
*aegis now wishes Goldstar had responded to the Soul of Cartoons post*

You are right though

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
The whole situation with HBO Max all around it just a mess. They failed their own customers. They failed their fan base. They failed their own talent. And they failed themselves as a business all for the purpose of trying to be the next Netflix. Now, they gotta learn the hard way.

Interesting to note that it seems like cartoons do better on the Max charts than Netflix's charts. Smiling Friends is number 2. Okay, Max does seem to succeed with adult comedy animation, but not the other genres. If I remember right, Infinity Train actually performed very well on the Max charts, but that didn't prevent what happened from happening. Even if 9 of the ten of today's top 10 spots are live action, at least there are cartoons that break into the charts. My Adventures with Superman and Ninja Kamui have also charted this year, proving that adult comedy isn't the only type of cartoons people watch on Max. Still, the reason they treat non adult comedy animation as badly as they do is because live action and adult comedy cartoons dominate the charts. Max seems to able to work as Adult Swim's successor, but not really Cartoon Network's.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Interesting to note that it seems like cartoons do better on the Max charts than Netflix's charts. Smiling Friends is number 2. Okay, Max does seem to succeed with adult comedy animation, but not the other genres. If I remember right, Infinity Train actually performed very well on the Max charts, but that didn't prevent what happened from happening. Even if 9 of the ten of today's top 10 spots are live action, at least there are cartoons that break into the charts. My Adventures with Superman and Ninja Kamui have also charted this year, proving that adult comedy isn't the only type of cartoons people watch on Max. Still, the reason they treat non adult comedy animation as badly as they do is because live action and adult comedy cartoons dominate the charts. Max seems to able to work as Adult Swim's successor, but not really Cartoon Network's.
That, and also management changes prevents any non adult comedy cartoons to succeeds on Max and CN.

cartoonnetworkpoke

Yeah agree with most of thee stuff that has been posted here. CN has been decent overseas due to cable still be profitable so it isn't all doom and gloom. But I will say this streaming and other digital services are going through kind of going through a lot of the moment. Hey who knows what the future holds. I've learned that anything can happen in life. But if CN is gonna remain relevant there has to be, BETTER MANAGEMENT from higher ups. If that doesn't happen then CN will cease to exist.

I honestly think if CN doesn't change then by 2030 the brand will shut down.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts