The Spectacular Spider-Man "Natural Selection" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate This Episode

• Total voters

Captain Highwind

Well, he did have to stop the Lizard from eating everyone.

...And cash in on the situation. But don't let that bother you Pete, at least you cured him, it's not like he needs that good reputation.

:)

Although in honesty, Conners probably doesn't deserve a good reputation. I mean, he's helped screw up Max's life, and Pete's having doubts about his spider bite at the lab...

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
...And cash in on it. But don't let that bother you Pete, at least you cured him, it's not like he needs that good reputation.

1. Again, you act like Spider-Man never errored in the early comics before, so I'll recap it. In ASM #9, he willingly took pictures claiming that Spider-Man is Electro and turned them in. Not really anymore ethical. And this was in the Lee/Ditko comic at that.

2. And as mentioned before, he turned in photos of the Lizard in the 90s cartoon, yet I don't see anyone else taking that into consideration.

lukecage

wow!

another dope episodes.

Edited By Stu: Watch your language.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Highwind

1. Again, you act like Spider-Man never errored in the early comics before, so I'll recap it. In ASM #9, he willingly took pictures claiming that Spider-Man is Electro and turned them in. Not really anymore ethical. And this was in the Lee/Ditko comic at that.

Maybe, but also in the comics, Peter knew Conners had a wife and kid to think about, and he did here too.

Granted, you're probably thinking, "in the comics, maybe Electro had a family and Spidey still did what he did." But here in the series Spidey cares about Max's situation, so why'd he shaft Conners knowing what he did?

I mean, this is like somebody posting pictures of your friend all over the Internet without their permission, so what should you do? Help spread the pictures around?

2. And as mentioned before, he turned in photos of the Lizard in the 90s cartoon, yet I don't see anyone else taking that into consideration.

That series has enough problems, so I'll let it go.

In any case, did not like. Moving on.

creativerealms

I think that the "straw that breaks the camels back" so to speak with Eddie Brock will be when the symbiont lands on him. By then i figure he will have forgiven Peter a bit and then suddenly when the symbiont bonds with him he learns that petter has been lying to him all the time and that he's spiderman. Done right such a thing could drive Brock insane.

Honestly, I'd rather this Brock--after 'destroying the mind of the symbiot' by overcoming it--use that big ol' black goo to be a hero as it would actually work with this much less a***** of a character.

Antiyonder

Staff member
Maybe, but also in the comics, Peter knew Conners had a wife and kid to think about, and he did here too.

Granted, you're probably thinking, "in the comics, maybe Electro had a family and Spidey still did what he did." But here in the series Spidey cares about Max's situation, so why'd he shaft Conners knowing what he did?

I mean, this is like somebody posting pictures of your friend all over the Internet without their permission, so what should you do? Help spread the pictures around?

Point is that he still made a questionable decision (And the one I provided was false advertisemn/fraud). In other words, he lied to the public.

Wonderwall

Staff member
Awesome episode. I liked it just as much as my beloved Night of the Lizard. I thought in the last two episodes Spidey did have trouble and for the first time had a real challenge, but this episode...whoa..He's was in it deep, he got his hand busted, thrown around with ease, and almost had his head chewed off in the train, even his one liners were kept to a minimum( a sure sign he's in trouble is when he can't think of one in the heat of battle ). And I understood the ending as well and was really played out well, lazy writing this wasn't, you want to see the bar lazy super hero writing is at..watch an episode of Smallville from the last 4 years. So yea the ending was very heart breaking and touching, good Uncle Ben is somehow always in his eyeline whenever a big decision is about to be made:p . I liked the continuing sub plots going on now that the first mini arc is done. And trains make great action pieces in superhero shows I've noticed.

Antiyonder

Staff member
To be honest, I see this as a nice variation on Night Of The Lizards. This time around Peter's not so lucky and Eddie Brock comes out with some dignity.

theRedDeath

Mr. Highwind, no offense, but your totally reading this episode wrong.

The reason everyone was mad at Peter, and the reason Peter is still a sympathetic character, isn't that he took pictures of the Lizard, but because he took pictures of the Lizard INSTEAD of working on the antidote.

But we, the audience, know that Peter couldn't have stayed to work on the antidote because he had to go out and be Spider-man.

That was the purpose of the scene at the beginning of the episode where Gwen was chiding Peter for lamenting his big brain. Where she was saying he had a responsibility to use his intelligence to help people. That's why they're mad at the end, because to them it seemed like instead of applying his vast intelligence (because presumably, Peter is the smartest of all the kids) into helping Connors, he instead did something they see as selfish.

But we know that it wasn't selfish, because he did go out and help Dr. Connors, using both his brain and body.

The issue here isn't the photographs, the issue is the time devoted to taking them.

---

Anwar

Lord of the Vindaloovians
Honestly, I'd rather this Brock--after 'destroying the mind of the symbiot' by overcoming it--use that big ol' black goo to be a hero as it would actually work with this much less a***** of a character.

I hope they disregard the entire "Lethal Protector" aspect of Venom, it was a dumb idea to begin with and is still a dumb idea. You don't make psycho killers out to be heroes.

Maybe they shouldn't have more than a few Venom stories either, TAS did it right by having him show up only twice or so. That way Venom doesn't lose his image by being beaten repeatedly.

Rembrant

Funny, one would think Gwen would at the very least be a teensy tiny bit understanding about the why of Peter taking the pictures. Hadn't they spoken even in the first episode how they're having financial problems and Peter was really needing to find a way to make some money? Seems that was forgotten during the whole stress of the situation.

I also saw what I believe could be a bit of foreshadowing on how Eddie could find out Peter's secret identity. There were instances where, during the whole thing, Eddie and Spider-Man were able to talk calmly and take everything into account, and even under stress, people can remember things. For starters, if Peter shows any signs of his hand being injured, Eddie had seen Spidey with a hand bandaged. Spidey accidentally called him bro, and also, when Spidey swung and tried to take Lizard by surprise, his curfew alarm went off, and if Eddie were to hear it again, I'm sure he'd recognize it. Sure throwing a lot of possibilities there.

RONDC20

Swashbuckling Rouge
Well I loved this episode and preatty much everything I loved about it hase already been sadi in one way or another by someone else. I really don't know what Mr Highwind's problem is, but I totally understood what they were trying to do.

I hope they disregard the entire "Lethal Protector" aspect of Venom, it was a dumb idea to begin with and is still a dumb idea. You don't make psycho killers out to be heroes.

Maybe they shouldn't have more than a few Venom stories either, TAS did it right by having him show up only twice or so. That way Venom doesn't lose his image by being beaten repeatedly.

Well, I'm looking at this now like a 'Leathal Protector' but rather just a hero. I think this Brock may be the one to redeem all Brocks.

Antiyonder

Staff member

For the comics yes, but since this Venom probably won't be a Psycho Killer, he could actually work as a hero. Add that to the fact that this version of Eddie has a conscience.

Krypton_Knight

Loved it, but I'm wondering if Gwen is going to get fired too.

The moment that Billy entered the combat zone, Gwen became the Worst Baby-sitter Evar. :) (Except maybe for that one on the Simpsons).

KK

comicchaser

The Random Germ(an)
What I noticed in this episode even more than in the ones before: This show is on ****ing speed.
I don't remember having ever seen such long, intense, fast-paced action scenes in a cartoon. There is so much stuff happening at an incredible speed, that it managed to give a kind of adrenaline rush this time around. Sounds somewhat stupid, I know, but it was awesomely freaky nontheless.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts