Tomboys in cartoons

Daphne Blake

'Hellooooooooooooooooo Nurse!'
Of course not. I'm just saying that Lola Bunny hardly fills the tomboy label just because she wanted to play basketball. A tomboy by definition dresses and acts more masculine than feminine. I'd hardly say that's an accurate description of Lola Bunny.

I do see your point, I think she is probably in between both, she's not afraid to get her hands dirty, lets say that.

DarthGonzo

Fourteen Years!
I do see your point, I think she is probably in between both, she's not afraid to get her hands dirty, lets say that.

But that doesn't mean she's a tomboy. I mean...just look at her. Even if you knew nothing about her all you have to do is look at an image of her to know she's not a tomboy.

DinoQueen13

Life is Now or Never
Has anyone mentioned Haruka (Amara) from Sailor Moon? She is a tomboy. Not only does she dress (and even look a little bit) like a boy, she is also very tough and strong. Also in Sailor Moon is Makoto (Lita). She isn't that much of a tomboy as Amara, however she still does things in a boyish way. She can rough up bullies like that (snaps). I realized that someone did. And Amara deals with swords, and in the beginning the senshi thought she was a boy, and a man who had a crush on Raye thought she was a girl. Lita deals with sledgehammers. And Silverstar just because someone's lesb doesn't mean they are a tomboy. They can act very girly-girl, both of them. So in my opinion Amara is still a tomboy.

Zorak Masaki

Up until last saturday's episode, i was going to include sari from transformers:animated but now that we know her secret i guess she doesnt really count.

Silverstar

Kooky Spooky
Tom boys don't always LOOK like a boy. I resent that.

What's to resent? No one here ever said that tomboys had to look like boys. But a tomboy, by the very definition of the word, is a girl who is more man-like than lady-like in dress, attitude and mannerisms. Nothing in that description applies to Lola Bunny. One look at Lola should tell you that she's as girly as they come.

lola.gif

Honestly, does this look like a tomboy to you?

-Once more, fearlessness and spunk do not automatically make a girl a tomboy. Anybody who sees Lola Bunny and their brain registers 'tomboy' clearly possesses a different definition of the word.

Last edited by a moderator:

Movie06

Has anyone mentioned Haruka (Amara) from Sailor Moon? She is a tomboy. Not only does she dress (and even look a little bit) like a boy, she is also very tough and strong. Also in Sailor Moon is Makoto (Lita). She isn't that much of a tomboy as Amara, however she still does things in a boyish way. She can rough up bullies like that (snaps). I realized that someone did. And Amara deals with swords, and in the beginning the senshi thought she was a boy, and a man who had a crush on Raye thought she was a girl. Lita deals with sledgehammers. And Silverstar just because someone's lesb doesn't mean they are a tomboy. They can act very girly-girl, both of them. So in my opinion Amara is still a tomboy.

I mentioned Haruka and Makoto. And I think Silverstar knows that Haruka counts as a tomboy but Haruka's a good example of a tomboy.

And I'm with Silverstar on Lola Bunny, I don't think she counts as a tomboy.

Zorak Masaki

Would Edward Wong from cowboy bebop count? She's gone on solo missions, hardly ever acts or even looks like a girl (faye didnt even know she was female until she got on the ship, etc).

Silverstar

Kooky Spooky
Would Edward Wong from cowboy bebop count? She's gone on solo missions, hardly ever acts or even looks like a girl (faye didnt even know she was female until she got on the ship, etc).

I personally don't count Ed as a tomboy. Ed doesn't act like a boy, she just acts...weird.

(Though I recall reading somewhere that the character of Ed was originally going to be a boy, though I'm not sure why they changed her gender.)

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
There's also Akane Tendo from Ranma 1/2. She doesn't care if she's attractive or not. Actually, she lacks alot feminine traits.

I know this is conventional wisdom but I don't think I really agree with this. Not in her heart and not during most of the series, although she might have been more tomboyish as a younger child.

For example, she did get really upset when her long hair was cut off, she almost always wears nice dresses when she isn't wearing her gi, she tries to do feminine things like learning to cook the way her older sister does even though she's bad at them, she likes cute things like P-Chan and she's clearly the most popular girl in the school with the boys. Even if she very violently rejects them she has good reasons for that having more to do with Kuno being a jerk than not liking boys, she did have a crush on Dr. Tofu. She's a little "uncute" but that's mostly because of her toughness, violentness, stubborness and temper.

Okay, her classmates did make her play Romeo in Romeo and Juliet when she was little. But it's worth noting that Akane secretly wanted to be Juliet and does play Juliet as a teen.

I don't think she rejects traditional gender roles, at least not as Americans see them today, unless you consider meekness and demureness qualities that should still be considered necessary to be womanly.

Now Ukyo, however, basically lived as a boy for years and wore a boy's uniform to school and was mistaken for a boy.

Movie06

I know this is conventional wisdom but I don't think I really agree with this. Not in her heart and not during most of the series, although she might have been more tomboyish as a younger child.

For example, she did get really upset when her long hair was cut off, she almost always wears nice dresses when she isn't wearing her gi, she tries to do feminine things like learning to cook the way her older sister does even though she's bad at them, she likes cute things like P-Chan and she's clearly the most popular girl in the school with the boys. Even if she very violently rejects them she has good reasons for that having more to do with Kuno being a jerk than not liking boys, she did have a crush on Dr. Tofu. She's a little "uncute" but that's mostly because of her toughness, violentness, stubborness and temper.

Okay, her classmates did make her play Romeo in Romeo and Juliet when she was little. But it's worth noting that Akane secretly wanted to be Juliet and does play Juliet as a teen.

I don't think she rejects traditional gender roles, at least not as Americans see them today, unless you consider meekness and demureness qualities that should still be considered necessary to be womanly.

Now Ukyo, however, basically lived as a boy for years and wore a boy's uniform to school and was mistaken for a boy.

Good points. Ukyo is more of a tomboy anyway.

PeppeRaskell1

Peanutized!!!
Seems nobody's mentioned one of animation's first true tomboys, Little Audrey, from the "Harveytoons" of the 1950's. She did boy things like read comic books in class (particularly crime and detective stories), went fishing, and even made inventions to wash the dishes (in her dreams, she even invented weaponry to ward off an alien invasion of earth).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So, lemme get this straight. VA's have gone on strike protesting AI replicating their voices, and SAG-AFTRA signs a partnership deal with Narrativ? Apparently this is the second time SAG-AFTRA has done something like this.
Toonsylvania is a hidden gem from the late 90s, A real shame that the show hasn't been recognized since the early 2000s.
25 years ago today! Fox Kids introduced the United States to Digimon , the anime. Happy American 25th anniversary to it!
I think The Cramp Twins, the TV series, is set in the Southeastern USA. Not just because of the swamp, they also drink root beer floats too (not at A&W but at Western-themed places).

The irony is that us Europeans don't like root beer and root beer floats

Featured Posts