Toonzone/Anime Superhero "Battle of the Brackets" Bonus Round thread (2024 edition)!

Shiloh Otter

Anxiety in the house
Balto, even though the story of Balto isn't entirely accurate as it's presented.

(In reality, there were other dogs in the team that shared time being the lead dog, with a couple in particular having just as much time being the lead dog as Balto did.)

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I’ll go with Balto, but I have a soft spot for Fern Gulley. I don’t know why, but I really want to say it’s one of the first movies I ever saw.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I adore Balto, so I'm definitely voting for it. I love the music, the visuals and the characters. It's a movie that has always really clicked with me. I think it would be my favorite non-Disney and Studio Ghibli animated movie, or at least pretty high up there. I love it that much.

FernGully was pretty good though. It had some good songs and fun characters, but it never stuck with me nearly as much as Balto has.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Continuing with our theme of "90's animated films that think they're in the Disney Renaissance - but they're not Disney films!"

EXTRA Bonus Match #10:

Once Upon a Forest!

Versus:

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I guess Once Upon a Forest. I liked it as a kid, but I haven’t seen it since. I never saw Quest for Camelot as a kid, but when I watched it a few years ago it was one of the most dreadful animated movies I’ve seen.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'll go with Once Upon a Forest. I remember renting quite often at Blockbuster back in the day. I don't know if it has aged well, but I remember liking it quite a bit.

I've also never seen Quest for Camelot, so Once Upon a Forest wins by default for me.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Eh, one last "90s animated films that were "Disney Renaissance-ish"".

EXTRA Bonus Match #11:

Thumbelina!

Versus:

Last edited:

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I'll pick Anastasia, it will always be odd that someone thought using a real historical figure and rumor they were still out there and thought yes that's my family film.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I'll pick Anastasia, it will always be odd that someone thought using a real historical figure and rumor they were still out there and thought yes that's my family film.
I think the animated Anastasia was based on an earlier live action movie. I heard a rumor that Don Bluth was given the choice of doing an adaptation of that movie or My Fair Lady.

Anyways, Thumbelina. Even though I think Anastasia is probably the stronger movie, I only saw it once. Thumbelina was the first movie I saw in theaters and seriously my mom, my grandma, and I were the only three there.

Spotlight

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm

Featured Posts