Underrated and Overrated cartoons

Frank

Overrated:
Simpsons(getting better lately though)
South Park(I don't know what people see in this show)
Rugrats(post '95 especially)
My Life as a Teenage Robot(any show that has UPA-style artwork especially at Nickelodeon is bound to be overrated)
Fairly Oddparents(same as above, funny though)
All anime in general

Underrated:
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Ed Edd n' Eddy(underrated in a way)
Mike Lu and Og(I know, but this is just my opinion)
As told by Ginger(hey, this show has it's fans and I'm one of them)
Wild Thornberrys(see above)
Futurama(compared to the Simpsons it is)
Family Guy(is usually funnier and better than South Park)

There's my two cents. Take it or leave it.

Fernus

Abraham Sapien
Just because they are overrated doesn't mean I don't like them. Same with underated.

Overrated:

Dragonball Z
Spongebob Squarepants
Teen Titans
Batman: The Animated Series
Simpsons
Dexter's Lab
Powerpuff Girls
Ed, Edd, n Eddy
Kim Possible
My Life as a Teenage Robot
South Park
Fairly Odd Parents

Underated:

Superman: The Animated Series
Family Guy
Futurama
Justice League: The Animated Series
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Gargoyles
Aah! Real Monsters
Ren and Stimpy
Angry Beavers
He-Man (both new and old)

Mynd Hed

Holy blue on a popo!
ClockStomper said:
Even within the context, Toonzone is just a drop on the bucket, it can't be made to represent the fandom overall, as most posters are doing here.
...at which point someone could say, "Well, that show is underrated among the folks at TZ." Or I could say, "King of the Hill is overrated among my circle of friends."

Over- and underration are highly context-sensitive concepts, which is why I hate it when people reply to these sorts of threads with long lists of shows without giving their reasoning behind why they believe the shows to be under- or overrated. A statement like "The Simpsons is overrated" is essentially meaningless because it doesn't say who it's being overrated by (the mainstream public, the critics, the animation fans, the Fox executives, the guys down at the bar, etc.), why they overrate it, in what way, etc.

Dr.Zar

Animation Otaku said:
Something about finding quality shows "too kiddy"
That's your reasoning?

Those shows had incredible writing and were even VERY serious, some of the shows TODAY "stink" with their tried and tired efforts at humour and writing.

Until you back up your statements with irresputibal evidence that ANY of those modern classics have anything that defines them as "crap", your views will remain in my eyes and others as "biased"

No offense, and I apologise for attacking you, It was uncalled for, and totally not appropriate

Last edited by a moderator:

Dee

What?
Note

Note to everyone: When posting in this, or any other thread here, do not use the word "sucks" at all, because I've had to edit many posts with it. A show can be talked about without using this word, so if I see it again from ANYONE, I'm not going to be happy.

Overrated:
Home Movies
Dragonball
Dragonball Z
Samuri Jack
Powerpuff girls

Underrated:
Road Rovers
Sealab 2021
Brak Show
The old Fox Spider man cartoon. That was awesome
Angry Beavers

Baltofan

Overrated & Underrated

Overrated:

Futurama
My Little Pony
Powerpuff Girls
Sailor Moon
Simpsons
Timon & Pumbaa - Hakuna Matata
Totally Spies

Underrated:

Animals Of Farthing Wood
Capitan Flame
Capitol Critters
Courage
Redwall
Sandybell
Silver Fang
Starla & The Jewel Riders
Watership Down

Dr.Zar

Baltofan said:
Overrated:
Powerpuff Girls
Simpsons
Timon & Pumbaa - Hakuna Matata

Underrated:

Animals Of Farthing Wood
Starla & The Jewel Riders
About damn time someone mentioned those classics, Starla was basically a She-Ra rip-off with great writing, still ruled though.

Kati

Chilango-Lurker
Please don't kill me :sweat:. Being overrated is not the same as being bad.

Overrated:

- The Simpsons: It WAS an excelent show. But even now that it's going downhill is still being awarded like if it was the 8th wonder of the World. I'd prefer some new concepts to be in the spotlight.

- Spongebog Squarepants: I don't get why this show is so popular. You can see him everywere, everybody says it's the best show in the Universe (have you wathced the clip where you can see how this guy has invaded London?) but I really don't find the show that funny or great.

- Rugrats: Yeah... I know they are bad now, but even in their "good times" the show was extremely overrated.

- Fairly Oddparents
- Power Puff Girls
- Dexter's Lab
- Invader Zim

Underrated.

- Futurama: I still can't believe it got cancelled and that "Jurassic Bark" lost to the Simpsons.
- Garfield and Friends
- Hey Arnold
- Angrey Beavers
- Ahh! Real Monsters

RAINMAN

Kikoutei Densetsu
Over

Today Simpsons

South park: Do people really think this is the greates toon ever?:sad:
Beast wars: I give my reasons in another topic
Teen Titans: is this gear toward toon or anime fans?
Family guy

Under

Beast Machine: Not a bad show, just not a good TF series. However,it was more mature in some ways then BW.

Fox Spiderman: If only people relize how good the supporting cast and plots were in this show.

Beavis&butthead: SP got nothing on this show.

Ultra Force: Good show that never had a chance to shine.

Knights of justice: Same as above

TFG1: Gets No respect.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
My two cents:

Overrated:
Transformers (I think because of nostalgia reasons people forget that it was garbage.)
Tiny Toon Adventures (one of the most well regarded cartoons of the early nineties, it just isn't funny and in my opinion ruins the Looney Tunes even more than today's "Baby" shows.)
Animaniacs ( It's hard to like a cartoon when only one segment, Pinky and the Brain, was good. Thankfully, it was spun off so I didn't have to deal with Buttons and Mindy, Rita and Runt, and the Hip Hippoes anymore.)
Family Guy (one of the funniest cartoons ever is overrated simply because it's storytelling is very uneven and it has a lack of characters to truly care about.)
Rugrats (Even the acclaimed early ones I find very slow and boring.)
Scooby Doo (Not the great cartoon the general public thinks it is. Did we really need a live action movie?)
The Flintstones (A Honeymooners rip-off that I don't find funny at all.)
Ren and Stimpy (On second thought, maybe it wasn't as great as we thought it was.)
The Powerpuff Girls (I don't see what the big deal is.)
Ed, Edd, and Eddy (One of the most annoying cartoons ever seems to be on 24 hours a day.)
G.I. Joe (Even growing up I never understood the appeal of this half-hour toy commercial.)

Underrated:
Bullwinkle and Rocky (It's odd that nobody on this board talks about it much.)
Dangermouse and Count Duckula (Ditto.)
Gargoyles (One of the greatest action cartoons ever, it never got the mainstream support it deserved.)
Justice League (I LOVE this cartoon. So there.)
Static Shock ( I will never understand it's bad reputation around here.)
Futurama ( If you ax me I was very sad that Fox axed it.)
Eek! The Cat (Funny stuff that never really caught on with the public.)
Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist (When I got a chance to see this cartoon I thought it was very funny.)
Garfield and Friends (Granted the comic strip isn't funny but the show sure was, at least after the first season.)
The Pirates of Dark Water (I will never understand why this only lasted one season.)
And the most underrated cartoon of all time: Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures (Weird, wacky and wild it was the launching ground for such up and comings cartoonists as John Krisfalusi, Bruce W. Timm, Kent Butterworth, Jim Reardon, Tom Minton and Eddie Fitzgerald, among others. I'm not sure any of the cool cartoons they did after that would have been as great without this starting point.)

Mynd Hed

Holy blue on a popo!
Fone Bone said:
Family Guy (one of the funniest cartoons ever is overrated simply because it's storytelling is very uneven and it has a lack of characters to truly care about.)
...but I've never seen anyone, including the most die-hard FG fans, claim that it had good storytelling or particularly likable characters (with the possible exception of Brian), so I'm not sure how valid it is to pronounce it overrated for that reason.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Mynd Hed said:
...but I've never seen anyone, including the most die-hard FG fans, claim that it had good storytelling or particularly likable characters (with the possible exception of Brian), so I'm not sure how valid it is to pronounce it overrated for that reason.

True, but I have heard people say it's better than the Simpsons which has a lot more character developement and better stories (even now.) Ironically Family Guy started to have really great stories late in the third season but it was cancelled prematurely. It will be interesting to see if they can build on that momentum when it returns next year or if people will complain about how it's lost it's edge or some such nonsense. Comparing Family Guy to the Simpsons is a little bit unfair because one has been on a lot longer than the other. I think Family Guy has the potential to be great, but as of now calling better than the Simpsons is premature. Let's see how long it's shelf life is first. Then I personally will think it has earned the acclaim it enjoy's now. Here's hoping.

Dr.Zar

Fone Bone said:
My two cents:

Overrated:
Transformers
First of all, I ain't arguing with someone who thinks gods like Dangermouse and Gargoyles are underated, but please, if you're going to diss one of the greatest series ever produced (AND several others that did'nt deserve the "overated" bashing, including G.I Joe and Animanaics), keep it more professional

It ain't "garbage", Three seasons of strong continunuity, characters, and storys ("More than Meets the Eye", "Ultimate Doom", "Megatron's Master Plan", "Heavy Metal War", "Desertion of the Dinobots", "Five Faces of Darkness" the movie tie-in plots of Season Three, BEAST WARS, need I say more?)

You could have said "it does'nt entertain me", saying it's "Garbage" is just being biased and deliberatly trying to tick off people who know better.

The Landstander

Thanks ants. Thants.
[post title]

Fone Bone said:
True, but I have heard people say it's better than the Simpsons which has a lot more character developement and better stories (even now.) Ironically Family Guy started to have really great stories late in the third season but it was cancelled prematurely.
Eh, don't mean to hijack, but it always bugs me when people use this argument. Saying Family Guy isn't good because it lacks strong characters is like saying Finding Nemo isn't good because of a lack of violence. It's just not supposed to be there. (I know you said FG isn't bad, just wanted to use an analogy =P ) Family Guy and the Simpsons 1 use a very different formula for making their shows work.

I think that's why so many people like FG. It's a unique idea in its simplicity; toss plot and characterization into second priority in favor of rapid jokes. Obviously this could easily fail, but Family Guy's great joke writing makes it work REALLY well.

Mynd Hed

Holy blue on a popo!
Fone Bone said:
True, but I have heard people say it's better than the Simpsons which has a lot more character developement and better stories (even now.) Ironically Family Guy started to have really great stories late in the third season but it was cancelled prematurely. It will be interesting to see if they can build on that momentum when it returns next year or if people will complain about how it's lost it's edge or some such nonsense. Comparing Family Guy to the Simpsons is a little bit unfair because one has been on a lot longer than the other. I think Family Guy has the potential to be great, but as of now calling better than the Simpsons is premature. Let's see how long it's shelf life is first. Then I personally will think it has earned the acclaim it enjoy's now. Here's hoping.
There are a lot of different things that "better than the Simpsons" could mean. It could mean "Family Guy as a whole is better than the Simpsons at its prime," which is a pretty difficult argument to make, since at its prime the Simpsons was just about as funny as Family Guy and had good characters and storytelling as well. It could mean, "Family Guy as a whole is better than the Simpsons as a whole," which is debatable because while the Simpsons was better at its peak, Family Guy was more consistent-- it didn't take them two or three seasons to find their stride, and they didn't last long enough to jump the shark. It could mean, "Family Guy is better than the Simpsons that were on the air at the same time Family Guy was on Fox," which is probably the easiest argument to make, but still debatable.
Just pointing out that it's a lot more complicated than just saying that anyone calling the Family Guy better than the Simpsons is automatically overrating it.
Personally, I think it's kind of a bad comparison in the first place-- apples and oranges.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Dr.Zar said:
First of all, I ain't arguing with someone who thinks gods like Dangermouse and Gargoyles are underated, but please, if you're going to diss one of the greatest series ever produced (AND several others that did'nt deserve the "overated" bashing, including G.I Joe and Animanaics), keep it more professional

It ain't "garbage", Three seasons of strong continunuity, characters, and storys ("More than Meets the Eye", "Ultimate Doom", "Megatron's Master Plan", "Heavy Metal War", "Desertion of the Dinobots", "Five Faces of Darkness" the movie tie-in plots of Season Three, BEAST WARS, need I say more?)

You could have said "it does'nt entertain me", saying it's "Garbage" is just being biased and deliberatly trying to tick off people who know better.
I apologize for my wording. I used to love Transformers growing up and when I saw some old episodes I felt as if I had been misled as to how great the series was. The fact that it was mainly a tool to get us kids to buy the toys really irked me. I also didn't like the fact that the civil war on Cybertron had been going on for millions of years with so few deaths. Then there's Tranformers: The Movie. I really resented that they played heavy metal type music during the big death scene at the beginning. It seemed as if they were saying "Hey, kids we're killing off your favorite characters, isn't that cool?!" I am a person who believes most of the cartoons from the eighties are overrated. I didn't list them all because frankly the less I think about them the better.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Mynd Hed said:
There are a lot of different things that "better than the Simpsons" could mean. It could mean "Family Guy as a whole is better than the Simpsons at its prime," which is a pretty difficult argument to make, since at its prime the Simpsons was just about as funny as Family Guy and had good characters and storytelling as well. It could mean, "Family Guy as a whole is better than the Simpsons as a whole," which is debatable because while the Simpsons was better at its peak, Family Guy was more consistent-- it didn't take them two or three seasons to find their stride, and they didn't last long enough to jump the shark. It could mean, "Family Guy is better than the Simpsons that were on the air at the same time Family Guy was on Fox," which is probably the easiest argument to make, but still debatable.
Just pointing out that it's a lot more complicated than just saying that anyone calling the Family Guy better than the Simpsons is automatically overrating it.
Personally, I think it's kind of a bad comparison in the first place-- apples and oranges.
Yeah it is subjective, isn't it? A lot of Simpsons fans will say that Family Guy is a rip-off of the Simpsons which is ludicrous. Like you said: Apples and Oranges. Still people do compare them and that leads me to think that Family Guy is overrated. That doesn't make it so. I'm just expressing my personal opinion. And like someone said just because you think something is overrated doesn't mean you don't like it or in this case love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.Zar

Fone Bone said:
I apologize for my wording. I used to love Transformers growing up and when I saw some old episodes I felt as if I had been misled as to how great the series .
Might I ask which episodes they were?

Because even though I'm a Transformer fan, I know SOME, SOME episodes were pretty bad.

You'd be wrong regarding most of those cartoons, but that's your opinion, stick to it, just pay a little bit more respect to those that appreciate how godly those cartoons were

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Dr.Zar said:
Might I ask which episodes they were?

Because even though I'm a Transformer fan, I know SOME, SOME episodes were pretty bad.

You'd be wrong regarding most of those cartoons, but that's your opinion, stick to it, just pay a little bit more respect to those that appreciate how godly those cartoons were
I honestly don't remember the names of the episodes. The Rhino video tape boxed sets seemed to choose the episodes at random. If you say Transformers had a good story arc I'll trust you. And I would never claim my opinions were the end-all to everyone else's but I am not sure how to put how I dislike those cartoons any other way. I will watch myself in the future but I would appreciate if I step out of line again, for one of you to let me know. I have trouble with that stuff.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts