Underrated and Overrated cartoons

Jolly Bengali

Comments:

South Park - Underrated on this board. Hilarious show with so much character for paper cutouts.

Family Guy - Overrated in general. I don't necessarily dislike it, but the show's shtick of long-running gags, plenty of fart jokes, and cutaway scenes wears thin very quickly, and with the characters ranging from caricatures (Brian and Stewie) to downright unlikable (Meg), there's not much else.

The Simpsons - The old episodes are universally appreciated, and have set a standard that no other adult animation (Futurama, Family Guy) has quite achieved. Last 3 seasons are overrated by the general public, who still sees The Simpsons as good as ever, but underrated by this board. Seasons 10-12, however, were plain appalling.

Futurama - Underrated by the general public (though it's been getting more popular lately) and especially by FOX. No explanation needed.

Critic - Massively underrated by FOX. The show was getting high ratings and the only reason it was cancelled because the FOX executive decided he didn't like it.

King of the Hill - Dry, subtle, character comedy like King of the Hill is VERY underrated on this board.

Yash

dr. yashouzeke "loser" asakura
Gah, major bumpage!!!

Anyway, guess I'll post my thoughts.

OVERRATED:

Family Guy - it's not a bad show at all, but it's gotten too much publicity nowadays.
The Simpsons (Seasons 9-end) - After a decent eight seasons, The Simpsons takes a turn for the worst and becomes utter crap. And yet, people still like it.
InuYasha - You can't deny it.
Rugrats (Seasons 4+) - A pile of crap that shouldn't be worth mentioning.
Ren & Stimpy Show - Yes, the show was funny, I'll give you that, but the show's gotten more appreciation than it should have.
Duel Masters - See above.

UNDERRATED:

Yu-Gi-Oh! - A great show with great characters, but ruined by a piss-poor dub and bad marketing.
Pretty much every Anime made - Simply because everyone likes to frown upon it.
Spongebob Squarepants - Another great show, but it's received too much media exposure that gets you tired of it, and the whole "Spongebob is gay" thing that seems to be going down... a lot of people don't seem to get this show's humor, so that has something to do with it.

DarkGojira

What are you staring at?
Overrated (Losers):

Rugrats (with Dil and Kimi): I used to like them in 1991-1993, and even in 1996-97, but now with Dil and Kimi, I just lost touch with it.

SpongeBob SquarePants: I still like it a little, but I agree what everyone says.

The Weekenders: Most of the people do like it, but I'm finding it rather boring and pointless...

The Thirteenth Ghost of Scooby Doo: Don't get me wrong, I like Scooby Doo, and I like the series (except Scrappy Doo episodes), but I think this one was just really weak! The worst Scooby Doo series, PERIOD!

Underrated (Winners):

Garfield and Friends: This is not your typical Garfield! This is the Garfield with a great personality and a great series!

Xiaolin Shodown: I LOVE THIS CARTOON! My favorite cartoon thus far! Combined with comedy and great action, I think this cartoon is a winner in my book! Also, the music's pure magic!

Darkwing Duck: I think I can think of this wonderful series in just three words! "Let's get dangerous!"

That's all I can think of!

Dudley

Staff member
Overated:
  • Codname: Kids Next Door
  • Rugrats
  • All Growed Up
  • Beyblade
  • Sailor Moon
  • Invader Zim
Underated:
  • Digimon (it's always overshadowed by Pokemon)
  • Ed, Edd, n' Eddy
  • Reboot
  • Shadow Raiders
  • Anime films

nwm2112

Two underrated cartoons:

King of the Hill: More realistic than any other show on TV, live-action or animated. More realistic than The Sopranos or any "reality" show.

The Woody Woodpecker Show (1999 version): Why the hate? This is one of my favorites. Get it on DVD soon, Universal!

Mandarker

Moving along with the list:

Overrated:
Powerpuff Girls (too much merchandise and air time. Cartoon Network focused too much into this cartoon.)
Scooby Doo (another overload of merchandise and air time with CN)
Rugrats (Nickelodeon ran this show into the ground with....merchandise and air time. Not saying any of these programs are bad, they just get too much attention.)
Spongebob Squarepants (again with the merchandise and the air time. Don't you see a trend starting here?)
Ed Edd n' Eddy (not really overrated unless you consider the amount of air time this show gets.)
Fairly Oddparents (I LOVE this show, but again, see above.)
The Simpsons (see FAIRLY ODDPARENTS for reference. :D )

Underrated:
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Pinky and the Brain
Eek! The cat
Undergrads
The Critic (I have NO idea why this show didn't reach the status of the Simpsons.)
Futurama (another good cartoon overlooked.)
Rocko's Modern Life
Aaaaah! Real Monsters
almost any cartoon on CN besides Scooby and the PPG
My Life as a Teenage Robot
Dexter's Lab (yes,you heard right. Seasons 1 and 2 just didn't get the attention of a huge cartoon show like the PPG and R&S. With so little merchandise and air time, not to mention meeting other people who thought the same of this cartoon, yes, this show is very underrated.Now it is gaining attention little by little, and ANY cartoon that has to go up against the PPG is underrated.) (Problem: seasons 3 and 4 are the ones gaining attention, and that's not good.) :eek:
Darkwing Duck
Angry Beavers
Mission Hill

I know that there's a LOT of underrated cartoons out there, but I can't think of them at this moment.

Gloria Harp

I really, REALLY want to list a few animes in both underrated and overrated, but I know I shouldn't even though lots of others did, because the post says no animes...so I won't. After all, two wrongs don't make a right...*sigh*...damn, I hate having a conscience...:sad:

Anyways, here's my list:

Underrated:

Reboot-I think this is mostly by the Toonami fanbase; most people don't think it's bad or anything like that, but people don't - or didn't, I should say - pay attention to it as much as some of the anime that was on Toonami when Reboot was airing. Also, Season 4 of Reboot only got one run on Toonami, which I think was unfair, and, after the fourth season aired for the first and only time, they simply tossed the show aside and never bothered to air any of it ever again.

Clone High-It never really got a chance and, in my opinion, it was a funny show, and most people I know who actually saw an episode or two of it thought it was funny as well. People just didn't bother to watch it, I guess, and MTV gave up on it too soon.

The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest-There are many people who seem to dislike this show greatly for some reason and I never saw what was so horrible about it that people harbored such a hatred for it. Actually, I thought it was a pretty good show; nothing stellar, but it didn't deserve to be so despised.

Overrated:

Justice League Unlimited-I think the show's all right, but I do think it's a little bit too early to be praising it as being so absolutely wonderful yet. Also, I think there are many fans of the comics that really want to like this show and are looking over its flaws because of it.

Spongebob Squarepants-Yeah, the show is cute and all, but I don't see the need for such excessive praise. I think Nick has come up with better cartoons in the past that didn't receive as much praise, nor needed to receive anymore praise, so I don't see why this has so much. After all, it's funny, but it's nothing breathtakingly spectacular; it's just a silly cartoon for kids (and I don't mean that in a bad way).

The Rugrats-Suffers from the same problem as Spongebob, really; a fine show that Nick has just put too much praise towards. When it originally came out, it wasn't anything that great; I mean, it was cute, but I don't think it was anything super-wonderful. It was just what it was intended to be - a simple kids' show, nothing more, nothing less. Why it's lasted so long and why Nick (and the fans) has made it so popular, I can't understand, because the episodes have been declining as the seasons progressed, and the show was never anything THAT wonderful to begin with. Again, it was just a cute kids' show; not the greatest cartoon ever.

There are probably lots more, but I'll put those up for now. Since some people were upset with the "just listing" thing, I kind of felt bad and thought I should elaborate on why I picked those shows, hence why I didn't mention that many shows (because then it would have taken forever!). However, these are still really just my opinions; nothing set in stone or anything like that.

On a final note, I didn't overtly dislike any of the shows I put as "overrated" (or dislike at all, really), and the shows I listed as "underrated" aren't necessarily my favorite cartoons ever (okay, I'll admit Reboot is, but I gave good reasoning, in my opinion, anyway). I think, though, that most underrated shows are either great shows that people think are just all-right or all-right shows that people too quickly dub the "worst show ever," whereas most overrated shows are good or all right shows - even sometimes great shows - that are just given too much praise or seen to be something amazingly spectacular when they're, simply put, just cartoon shows.

Samurai Karasu

Over-rated: Futurama (Loved it, really I did. But I found the ending to be just fine really. It really got me just as well with the Holophoners beautiful little piece at the end just as Fry was playing the last couple of notes to his opera)

Under-rated: Garfield and Friends (Im quite contented it got a DVD release =)

Lonestarr

Stop eating my sesame cake!
Staff member
Underrated:

Clone High
Undergrads
Action League Now!
Downtown
Baby Blues
Dave the Barbarian
Pelswick
Toonsylvania
Ned's Newt
Sam and Max

Overrated:

Aqua Teen Hunger Force (random humor can be good, but this show has too much of the 'random' and not enough of the 'humor')
Courage the Cowardly Dog (too one-note for my liking)
The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy (this cartoon was tolerable when it was paired with "Evil Con Carne", but on its own, the blatant unlikablity of the kids just leaps out at you)

Ian

¡Mierda santa! ¡Ninjas!
Overrated

Gargoyles: Yes, the first season and a half were good, but the Avalon World Tour? What made Weisman think that having ten episodes starring two of that universe's least interesting characters and Eliza, with very little of the supporting cast, a good idea? And who in Disney approved it? The series got kinda back on track after their Return to New York, but it was still a shadow of it's former self (although The Gathering and Hunter's Moon did kick a decent amount of ass, I'll admit).

X-Men:TAS: I get that it was like seeing the comic book, as envitioned by Claremont and Lee, on the silver screen. Thing is, those comics weren't very good, either. Also, the animation or writing aren't anything to write home about, so points off there.

Underrated

Teen Titans: So what if it's not like the comics? I love that the writers feel that they can cut lose and just have fun with it all. Plus, it has charm, and lots of it.

Dee

What?
Theres a lot of overrated shows out there--

Overrated:

Codename KND: I honestly can't get past the look of the show. The the character voices and characters are annoying and well, it's lost on me.

Invader Zim: It was funny the first time but I'm not going to devote my soul to a show like this.

Spongebob Squarepants: Don't get me started.

Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh and all those battle game shows: I am so sick and tired of these. You canh only take a premise so far. Now it's just marketing toys.

Totally Spies: Ooo yay, an unrealistic image for girls-- and downright annoying voice acting.

Power Puff Girls: used to be a decent show but now it's just the usual stuff. Over and over again. It's run it's course and is unwelcome.

Reboot: I get to school and everyone asks me how much I liked reboot and I tell them I hated it. I just hated the overall look, the characters, and so much more. They give me the cold shoulder/evil glare of death--- and It makes me hate the fanbase as well as the show.

Hmm... theres a lot more but thats all I can think of right now.

Underrated: The Oblongs. They started playing that late at night and I hadnt laughed so hard in a long time. It was so bizarre but I loved it.

magicjac

Re

Here's my list...

Overatted
Fairly Oddparents: I do enjoy this show, but Nick plays the HELL out of it!

Invader Zim: This show just didn't click for me. I realize that this show was very underatted during it's short run, but it's like evryone loves it except me. I honestly hate the damn show.

Spongebob Squarepants: I LOVE this show, but it is very overatted, by Nick and just about everyone else.

Codename KND: Cartoon Network hypes this show too much. Honestly I hate it.

Pokemon: When will this damn show die already?!?

Yu-Gi-Oh!: This show is nothing but another anime fad by young children. This is another show that needs to die already.

Scooby Doo, Where Are You?: I LOVE this show also, but it can be a little too overatted at times.

Family Guy: During this show's run, it was very underatted, but now it is getting a little too overatted. I've seen every episode way too many times also.

Futurama: See "Family Guy".

ATHF: This show is so overatted by AS it isn't even funny. I still love it tho'.

Underatted
Baby Blues: This show seems so hated at times. I don't understand it, cuz I love this damn show.

Mission Hill: This show gets no credit whatsoever. People don't know what they're missing. It's Hilarious!

Oblongs: Another underatted AS show. This show is so bizarre, which makes it so frickin' hilarious.

Home Movies: Possibly the most underatted AS show ever. It gets no more love. I love this show. It's so sad.

A Pup Named Scooby Doo: I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show!!! So many people hate it, but I love it. Definitely nowhere near as overatted as SDWAY? was.

Flintstone Kids: People just don't seem to enjoy famous Hanna-Barbera characters turned into kids as I do. Love This Show Also.

Tom And Jerry Kids: See "Flintstone Kids" and "A Pup Named Scooby Doo".

Ickis

Classic Directors Cut Edition
Under-rated:
Rocko
EEK!
Earthworm Jim
What a cartoon show!
2 stupid dogs
Angry beavers

The list goes on.

Over-rated:
All Anime
Simpsons (new)
all Nicks new shows

kamladolly

Let’s go see the town
Some newer cartoons I think are underrated are King of the Hill and Home Movies. An older underrated cartoon, and the main reason I'm poting in this thread, is The Point.

Delthayre

Retired
Mm-mmmm, dander!

Oh, how I hate the term, "overrated," it has airs that make it seem as if it should have some sort of consistent standard and integrity, but it's just a veiled way of stating otherwise honest opinions with an added air of condescension. Considering something overrated makes little genuine assessment of quality, it only judges the sympathies of the public. It's better to say merely, "that I don't like this show that much," or that, "the general public are a bunch of blithering idiots!"

Steve Carras

SUGAR RUSH!!!!
Overrated Rugrats,even Ren and Stiimpy,and just about ANY other toon made after the 1970s.

Underrrated
(included made for tv toons)
Most 1960s ones,esp.the "children's ones" like
Underdog, Linus the Lionhearted, the, and the original 1960s verisons of Beany and Cecil and Alvin that were from "lesser" studios,plus TOP CAT,YOGI,and HOPPITY HOOPER.I lalso liked the 1950sd verison of GUMBY (with the original audio tracks, not that 1980s synth-others can tell more about it-was used to repalce the origjnal canned music due to money reaons) and of FELIX THE CAT (I had a certain soft spot for some of the characters).

Behonkiss

Just put an X here and here...
Overrated:
Futurama
Kim Possible
Kids Next Door
Totally Spies
Code Lyoko
Inuyasha
SD Gundam

Underrated:
Mission Hill
Kikaider
Sealab 2021
Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast
Sitting Ducks
Rayman (Art design, mainly)
Gundam 0080

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!
Underrated:

Cartoon Cartoons (by the general public)
Klasky-Csupo
SpongeBob and OddParents (by certain people)
Futurama (by stupid people i.e. the general public)
Ren and Stimpy
Rocko's Modern Life
The Angry Beavers
Jimmy Neutron
Disney
Classic Cartoons

Overrated:

Scooby-Doo
Cartoon Cartoons (by animation fans i.e. the people who posted at Spumco.com's message board)
Codename: Kids Next Door (Man,I hate that show)
Simpsons
Aqua Teen Hunger Force (still good, though)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!

Featured Posts