What if Cartoon Network Fridays came back for a new generation?

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
With Cartoon Network announced their new 'Redraw Your World' branding, Cartoonito is coming to America for the first time, having a upcoming girls block, and a weekend family movie block that was similar to Flicks, it looks like Cartoon Network are doing a massive shake-up for their network in order to keep up with the competition. Now with HBO Max came to the table, it will helped them in the long run.

However, if there's one things that I would love to see Cartoon Network would do is to bring back Cartoon Network Fridays block.

Now, I know that's never going to happen considering that the block was dead decades ago and people already moved on from it, but hear me out.

I'm aware that a Friday night premiere block wouldn't necessary work on kids television these days, unless a show pulls in huge ratings, but honestly, it's been a long while for Cartoon Network having a Friday night block. The last time Cartoon Network had a Friday night block after CN Fridays ended in 2007 was Fried Dynamite, You Are Here 2nd Pulse, and NEW NEW NEW NEW 2017. Cartoon Planet 2012 doesn't count because it's mostly just reruns of old Cartoon Network shows.

While You Are Here was pretty successful with their of action cartoons, but something like Fried Dynamite and NEW NEW NEW NEW has been dead on arrival right from the getgo. Fried Dynamite was an obnoxious piece of garbage in it's presentation, Out of Jimmy's Head was a massive insult to our intelligence, and a show that is worth watching like Chowder had move to Thursdays months later. Not to mention, it didn't help that Fried Dynamite came out around the time when Cartoon Network shows like Gym Partner, Camp Lazlo, Ed Edd n Eddy, Squirrel Boy, Kids Next Door, Class of 3000, and Bill and Mandy slowly ending their run. Even if they tried with their new and exclusive premiered on Fried Dynamite, they were either hated (Out of Jimmy's Head) or completely forgotten (Goosebumps, George of the Jungle, and Chop Socky Chucks). I doubt that even kids who watched the block when it first came out wouldn't even remember those shows. The only show that was a successful for the block was Chowder, but like I said before, it got moved to Thursdays a couple of months after when it came out. Fried Dynamite barely had any legs to stand on. It's mostly reruns of premieres from previous nights and movies that you can see on Flicks. Which is why it ended it's run around 2008.

As for NEW NEW NEW NEW? While it's not as bad as Fried Dynamite, and I can appreciate their efforts, but in my opinion, it came out a very bad time when cable TV was dying off rapidly. No one's watching TV anymore. Not even shows like TTG, We Bare Bares, Unikitty, Gumball, and OK KO couldn't manage to get 1 or 2 million viewers after when it premiered. Hell, not even Steven Universe. People gravitated towards streaming services like Netflix and online like YouTube for new content for their entertainment. If NEW NEW NEW NEW would've came out like 2012 or 2013 when cable was in decline, but not as bad as it is now, then I think it would've been successful. But unfortunately, it was too little too late.

Now with that said, Cartoon Network didn't have a Friday night block anymore, so with new management came and announcing blocks for Cartoon Network, do you think that Cartoon Network Fridays can make a comeback in this day in age?

Personally, for me, I would say yes, as long as they do it right. However, there's gotta be some major changes. The New Cartoon Network Fridays has to appeal to the new generation of kids, whatever we have to accept it or not. If your gonna kept the same format from back in the day with no changes to it, then I don't see any point of coming back in the first place if you're gonna use it for nostalgia bait.

So here how I do it:

1. New hosts. As much as I love Tommy and Tara, I think it's about time to have new hosts for the block. Bring in young kids or teenagers to be the host of the block who had charisma, talent, casual, upbeat, cleverness, and having fun. But don't make them too obnoxious like Fried Dynamite. Just let kids be kids who has a passion of loving cartoons.

2. New format. We all love CCF due to the character interaction. We all know Tommy and Tara from Fridays who did a lot of skits in between segments. Now, I would love to see a hybrid between the two. Having the kids doing little fun skits and also having the cartoon characters joining along as well. That would be cool.

3. New and current shows. Let's have the current shows like TTG, Mao Mao, Victor and Valentino, and Craig of the Creek join along on Fridays with new episodes. Also, bring in new shows like Unicorn Worlds Eternal and Tiny Toon Looniversity on Fridays. That would be really nice.

4. New timeslot. I know that Cartoon Network would to premiered their shows or movies at 5pm or 6pm mostly because of Adult Swim took over the 8pm slot, but if CN can permanently take back those hours like 8-9pm, Fridays can have a massive leeway just like they used to. It would be great if they started premiering their lineup every Friday nights at 7pm. Not saying it for nostalgic reasons (ok, maybe it was), I'm saying it's something it can work today.

5. New experience. Have CN Fridays being premiered new episodes on TV, as well as put new episodes on HBO Max on the same day when it premiered. That way, it'll be the best of both worlds for cable and streaming. Also, you gotta advertise them as much as possible, both on cable and social media. So that way, viewers can catch up when it's on TV and on HBO Max. I know that's wishful thinking. but I would love to see HBO Max have ALL of the old Fridays segments on HBO Max because it can help bring in new generation of viewers to experience on what the old Fridays was like and it can able to appreciate the new one. That's what I would like to see.

So there ya have it. I know it's not gonna happen, but hey, that's just my pipe dream.

I want to know you guys think? Agree or disagree? Let me know.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I will kill for something like this. In my perfect universe, they will have animated hosts like the original CCF. I understand that is a pipe dream, but live action hosts interacting with animating characters like a Tommy and Nzinga did.

harry580

I wanna see Fridays on Cartoon Network returns, its was og although im still a kid when Fridays was discontinued

whoisretro

With Cartoon Network announced their new 'Redraw Your World' branding, Cartoonito is coming to America for the first time, having a upcoming girls block, and a weekend family movie block that was similar to Flicks, it looks like Cartoon Network are doing a massive shake-up for their network in order to keep up with the competition. Now with HBO Max came to the table, it will helped them in the long run.

However, if there's one things that I would love to see Cartoon Network would do is to bring back Cartoon Network Fridays block.

Now, I know that's never going to happen considering that the block was dead decades ago and people already moved on from it, but hear me out.

I'm aware that a Friday night premiere block wouldn't necessary work on kids television these days, unless a show pulls in huge ratings, but honestly, it's been a long while for Cartoon Network having a Friday night block. The last time Cartoon Network had a Friday night block after CN Fridays ended in 2007 was Fried Dynamite, You Are Here 2nd Pulse, and NEW NEW NEW NEW 2017. Cartoon Planet 2012 doesn't count because it's mostly just reruns of old Cartoon Network shows.

While You Are Here was pretty successful with their of action cartoons, but something like Fried Dynamite and NEW NEW NEW NEW has been dead on arrival right from the getgo. Fried Dynamite was an obnoxious piece of garbage in it's presentation, Out of Jimmy's Head was a massive insult to our intelligence, and a show that is worth watching like Chowder had move to Thursdays months later. Not to mention, it didn't help that Fried Dynamite came out around the time when Cartoon Network shows like Gym Partner, Camp Lazlo, Ed Edd n Eddy, Squirrel Boy, Kids Next Door, Class of 3000, and Bill and Mandy slowly ending their run. Even if they tried with their new and exclusive premiered on Fried Dynamite, they were either hated (Out of Jimmy's Head) or completely forgotten (Goosebumps, George of the Jungle, and Chop Socky Chucks). I doubt that even kids who watched the block when it first came out wouldn't even remember those shows. The only show that was a successful for the block was Chowder, but like I said before, it got moved to Thursdays a couple of months after when it came out. Fried Dynamite barely had any legs to stand on. It's mostly reruns of premieres from previous nights and movies that you can see on Flicks. Which is why it ended it's run around 2008.

As for NEW NEW NEW NEW? While it's not as bad as Fried Dynamite, and I can appreciate their efforts, but in my opinion, it came out a very bad time when cable TV was dying off rapidly. No one's watching TV anymore. Not even shows like TTG, We Bare Bares, Unikitty, Gumball, and OK KO couldn't manage to get 1 or 2 million viewers after when it premiered. Hell, not even Steven Universe. People gravitated towards streaming services like Netflix and online like YouTube for new content for their entertainment. If NEW NEW NEW NEW would've came out like 2012 or 2013 when cable was in decline, but not as bad as it is now, then I think it would've been successful. But unfortunately, it was too little too late.

Now with that said, Cartoon Network didn't have a Friday night block anymore, so with new management came and announcing blocks for Cartoon Network, do you think that Cartoon Network Fridays can make a comeback in this day in age?

Personally, for me, I would say yes, as long as they do it right. However, there's gotta be some major changes. The New Cartoon Network Fridays has to appeal to the new generation of kids, whatever we have to accept it or not. If your gonna kept the same format from back in the day with no changes to it, then I don't see any point of coming back in the first place if you're gonna use it for nostalgia bait.

So here how I do it:

1. New hosts. As much as I love Tommy and Tara, I think it's about time to have new hosts for the block. Bring in young kids or teenagers to be the host of the block who had charisma, talent, casual, upbeat, cleverness, and having fun. But don't make them too obnoxious like Fried Dynamite. Just let kids be kids who has a passion of loving cartoons.

2. New format. We all love CCF due to the character interaction. We all know Tommy and Tara from Fridays who did a lot of skits in between segments. Now, I would love to see a hybrid between the two. Having the kids doing little fun skits and also having the cartoon characters joining along as well. That would be cool.

3. New and current shows. Let's have the current shows like TTG, Mao Mao, Victor and Valentino, and Craig of the Creek join along on Fridays with new episodes. Also, bring in new shows like Unicorn Worlds Eternal and Tiny Toon Looniversity on Fridays. That would be really nice.

4. New timeslot. I know that Cartoon Network would to premiered their shows or movies at 5pm or 6pm mostly because of Adult Swim took over the 8pm slot, but if CN can permanently take back those hours like 8-9pm, Fridays can have a massive leeway just like they used to. It would be great if they started premiering their lineup every Friday nights at 7pm. Not saying it for nostalgic reasons (ok, maybe it was), I'm saying it's something it can work today.

5. New experience. Have CN Fridays being premiered new episodes on TV, as well as put new episodes on HBO Max on the same day when it premiered. That way, it'll be the best of both worlds for cable and streaming. Also, you gotta advertise them as much as possible, both on cable and social media. So that way, viewers can catch up when it's on TV and on HBO Max. I know that's wishful thinking. but I would love to see HBO Max have ALL of the old Fridays segments on HBO Max because it can help bring in new generation of viewers to experience on what the old Fridays was like and it can able to appreciate the new one. That's what I would like to see.

So there ya have it. I know it's not gonna happen, but hey, that's just my pipe dream.

I want to know you guys think? Agree or disagree? Let me know.

I disagree, CN honestly should never do Friday premieres outside of special events now. Saturday mornings are way the go for them and all their shows should stay in rotation there.

Bigawesome2000

I think Friday night would work better as some kind of action block, for shows like Mao Mao, The Night Begins to Shine, Unicorn: Warriors Eternal, and others. I think they should keep more comedy-oriented shows, like Total DramaRama, Victor and Valentino, Craig of the Creek, Teen Titans Go!, and Apple & Onion on Saturday mornings.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I disagree, CN honestly should never do Friday premieres outside of special events now. Saturday mornings are way the go for them and all their shows should stay in rotation there.
Fair enough.

I will kill for something like this. In my perfect universe, they will have animated hosts like the original CCF. I understand that is a pipe dream, but live action hosts interacting with animating characters like a Tommy and Nzinga did.
I wanna see Fridays on Cartoon Network returns, its was og although im still a kid when Fridays was discontinued
That would be awesome! :D

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I think Friday night would work better as some kind of action block, for shows like Mao Mao, The Night Begins to Shine, Unicorn: Warriors Eternal, and others. I think they should keep more comedy-oriented shows, like Total DramaRama, Victor and Valentino, Craig of the Creek, Teen Titans Go!, and Apple & Onion on Saturday mornings.
Yeah, that's fair.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
I'd personally love to see something like this. Here's how I'd do it:

The weekend would have 2 premiere blocks, one on Friday nights and the other on Saturday nights. Each would run from, say, 8PM to 10PM. Said blocks could be distinguishable by content (like the Friday block could be premiere comedies and the Saturday one could be actions shows, or Friday could be devoted to animation and Saturday could be for live-action, something like that). You could have original host segments, bumpers, fun stuff like that.

I'd also throw in some weekend blocks that could run during the day.

Just like how Anime Superhero Forum has a forum for Golden Age cartoons and another for the Saturday morning era, I'd have 2 weekend blocks: one a retro SatAM nostalgia block and one a Boomerang block for Golden Age classics; the former would run on Saturday mornings and the latter on Sunday mornings.

Sadly, it looks like premiere blocks seem to have gone the way of the dodo now; I blame the internet and streaming services.

Last edited:

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I'd love for Fridays to come back, actually! These kids need to have what we had.
Yeah, that would be awesome!

I'd personally love to see something like this. Here's how I'd do it:

The weekend would have 2 premiere blocks, one on Friday nights and the other on Saturday nights. Each would run from, say, 8PM to 10PM. Said blocks could be distinguishable by content (like the Friday block could be premiere comedies and the Saturday one could be actions shows, or Friday could be devoted to animation and Saturday could be for live-action, something like that). You could have original host segments, bumpers, fun stuff like that.

I'd also throw in some weekend blocks that could run during the day.

Just like how Anime Superhero Forum has a forum for Golden Age cartoons and another for the Saturday morning era, I'd have 2 weekend blocks: one a retro SatAM nostalgia block and one a Boomerang block for Golden Age classics; the former would run on Saturday mornings and the latter on Sunday mornings.
That's an awesome idea! I like it. ;)

Sadly, it looks like premiere blocks seem to have gone the way of the dodo now; I blame the internet and streaming services.
Yeah, it sucks.:(

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
It's best to revive this thread after Cartoonito and ACME Night came out.

I still would've love to see CN Fridays come back, but I'm not gonna be holding my breath if they're not coming back since new episodes of their current kids programs are on Saturdays now. Then again, Nick and Disney premiered their content on Fridays (and Saturday mornings for Disney), so CN might get crushed by competition if they moved their premieres on Fridays. (I know ratings don't really matter for Warner, but still) So, I guess in hindsight, it's kinda good thing CN didn't do it.

IDK, what do you guys still think of this topic?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts