What if Discovery Family legit takes CN reruns and puts themn 24 7

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
It's not a bad idea, they own three channels they can cross pollinate, it's not not done with other channels, including ones owned by this very company. The funny thing is on a Comcast system you need a higher tier to get both CN and DF. If it were up to me, I'd merge Boomerang into Discovery Family so Comcast people can get Boomerang and everyone else if they don't already can get Boom in HD. But I don't the run the company so there's no TCM 2 either.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
If I were the one sitting in the big chair, I would merge Discovery Family and Boomerang into a single channel and name the merged channel Boomerang, since that name has greater brand recognition, and DF serves no real purpose anyway.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
If I were the one sitting in the big chair, I would merge Discovery Family and Boomerang into a single channel and name the merged channel Boomerang, since that name has greater brand recognition, and DF serves no real purpose anyway.

More realistic idea: Make a Boomerang block on DF, likely after all Hasbro programming finally leaves the network.

Stumpos

I think if there is a way to try to distinguish Discovery Family and Boomerang once Hasbro leaves in March of next year, maybe Discovery Family could be the hub for older Cartoon Network originals that ended and Boomerang could focus more on the classic Hanna Barbara and Warner Bros side of things.

Sure we have Checkered Past on Adult Swim, but that's just cycling the same 5 shows so far (in comparison, the Cartoon Planet block from 2012-14 had way more shows rerunning). And with Max removing stuff, Discovery Family rerunning ended Cartoon Network originals that aren't on Checkered Past such as The Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Codename Kids Next Door, Foster's Home, Ben 10, and more isn't a bad idea (especially if they're rerunning Summer Camp Island now).

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I think if there is a way to try to distinguish Discovery Family and Boomerang once Hasbro leaves in March of next year, maybe Discovery Family could be the hub for older Cartoon Network originals that ended and Boomerang could focus more on the classic Hanna Barbara and Warner Bros side of things.

Sure we have Checkered Past on Adult Swim, but that's just cycling the same 5 shows so far (in comparison, the Cartoon Planet block from 2012-14 had way more shows rerunning). And with Max removing stuff, Discovery Family rerunning ended Cartoon Network originals that aren't on Checkered Past such as The Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Codename Kids Next Door, Foster's Home, Ben 10, and more isn't a bad idea (especially if they're rerunning Summer Camp Island now).
That's not an inherently bad idea, but Warner Discovery doesn't need 2 retro Cartoon Network channels. The Cartoon-Cartoon reruns haven't done very well on Boomerang for whatever reason. I like @Daikun's idea of making Boomerang a program block on DF. The only problem with that is that DF is in even fewer homes that Boomerang is, so moving the Boom shows from 1 digital extra channel that many people don't get to another would be a lateral move at best.

Last edited:

Stumpos

That's not an inherently bad idea, but Warner Discovery doesn't need 2 retro Cartoon Network channels.
Then by that logic, does this mean MeTV Toons is redundant too given that's basically doing Boomerang's job of showing classic cartoons?

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
That's not an inherently bad idea, but Warner Discovery doesn't need 2 retro Cartoon Network channels. The Cartoon-Cartoon reruns haven't done very well on Boomerang for whatever reason. I like @Daikun's idea of making Boomerang a program block on DF. The only problem with that is that DF is in even fewer homes that Boomerang is, so moving the Boom shows from 1 digital extra channel that many people don't get to another would be a lateral move at best.
I understand what you’re coming from, but putting old Cartoon Cartoons (that is not on Checkered Past) on Discovery Family is better than nothing.

If Discovery Family is not the option, then where else is there?

I don’t know. I just don’t want the old Cartoon Cartoons to be buried under the WBD vault forever. Sure, there’s digital and physical media, and that’s fine, but not everyone can afford them.

God, HBO Max just pisses me off even more…
Then by that logic, does this mean MeTV Toons is redundant too given that's basically doing Boomerang's job of showing classic cartoons?
To be fair, WBD wasn’t hugely involved in MeTV Toons. They just handed out the majority of their content to Weigel Broadcasting. Same thing with other studios.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Discovery Family is in more slightly than Boomerang, Comcast, the largest cable company, doesn't have it non former TWC markets they are 28,000,000 boom is 26,000,000. My idea was just replace DF with Boomerang so Comcast and other could have it, and have an HD feed for those markets that have Boom without the HD feed but have HD feed too.

Also, Discovery isn't against redundant channels or channels doing redundant things that's their bread and butter. Magnolia Network, HGTV, Destination America air the same type of stuff. Magnolia's predecessor DIY's programming is still there and also airs on DA times. DIY also used to air alot of HGTV stuff. Magnolia, Food Network, Cooking Channel, Destination America, Food Network, Primetime hours of Discovery Family air the same type of programming at times. TLC and Discovery Life. OWN airs stuff from ID, HGTV. the dead HLN airs stuff from ID and ID airs stuff from HLN. Discovery family also airs old TLC stuff, old Animal Planet stuff.

Really only Science Channel, AHC, TCM, TRVL Channel, Adult Swim, and CNN seem to be the least spread around stuff of their channels.

harry580

in order for discovery family to be cartoon network, its has to be rebranded as cartoon network while adult swim takes over the current cartoon network, but then again, moe is going to complain that cable companies are too greedy which is why the hub network failed

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
MeTV Toons is owned by Weigel Broadcasting, not Warner Discovery. Also, Boomerang doesn't air classic cartoons from other studios like Paramount, Harvey, Universal, Jay Ward Productions, etc. Plus, MeTV Toons is a broadcast network, not cable.
I understand what you’re coming from, but putting old Cartoon Cartoons (that is not on Checkered Past) on Discovery Family is better than nothing.
Yeah, that's true.

If Discovery Family is not the option, then where else is there?
Max, perhaps?

Last edited:

Stumpos

Max, perhaps?
Not with how Zaslav's removing lots of shows from Max. The removal of CN originals from Max is why I proposed retooling Discovery Family post-Hasbro split into a rerun zone for Cartoon Network originals that ended production

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Max, perhaps?
Maybe. At least with Max is a lot more unified and more broad and doesn’t have to stick with the kids or adults label.

(sigh) I don’t know. If Dapper Zanzo weren’t being such a Mr. Greedy McPenny-McPincherpants, and kept ALL the CN originals on Max rather than just removing them, then I would not be complaining all that much.

I’m sorry. This whole Max situation frustrates me to this day because WB did with HBO Max back then was brilliant and I wish they kept the momentum going. Man, they dropped the ball so hard…

Perla Magica

Digital Love
in order for discovery family to be cartoon network, its has to be rebranded as cartoon network while adult swim takes over the current cartoon network, but then again, moe is going to complain that cable companies are too greedy which is why the hub network failed
That solution would not make sense. Discovery Family can keep its' name and add reruns of few old CN shows without rebranding.

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony's TV channels
Staff member
Discovery Family is in more slightly than Boomerang, Comcast, the largest cable company, doesn't have it non former TWC markets they are 28,000,000 boom is 26,000,000. My idea was just replace DF with Boomerang so Comcast and other could have it, and have an HD feed for those markets that have Boom without the HD feed but have HD feed too.

Also, Discovery isn't against redundant channels or channels doing redundant things that's their bread and butter. Magnolia Network, HGTV, Destination America air the same type of stuff. Magnolia's predecessor DIY's programming is still there and also airs on DA times. DIY also used to air alot of HGTV stuff. Magnolia, Food Network, Cooking Channel, Destination America, Food Network, Primetime hours of Discovery Family air the same type of programming at times. TLC and Discovery Life. OWN airs stuff from ID, HGTV. the dead HLN airs stuff from ID and ID airs stuff from HLN. Discovery family also airs old TLC stuff, old Animal Planet stuff.

Really only Science Channel, AHC, TCM, TRVL Channel, Adult Swim, and CNN seem to be the least spread around stuff of their channels.
Add Motor Trend to that bottom list, since I don't think other WBD channels air Velocity/MT content. (At least, the Italian one does that, auto stuff used to be on DMAX, until Motor Trend came, and now it all sits in MT.)

For the thread question, if Discovery Family becomes the one channel that airs old CN content, now that would be real cool. DF suffered always from that "why it does exist" outside MLP, in my opinion.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I still don't think that Warner Discovery needs to have 3 cartoon channels. WBD could easily merge Discovery Family and Boomerang into a single channel. Keeping both channels is redundant, but as @LinusFan303 already stated, Discovery is known for having redundant channels. When I had DirecTV, I used to watch the Science Channel, but now, I see that some of the Science Channel shows are also airing on Discovery Channel. Why does Discovery have both Food Network and Cooking Channel? They just do.

aegisrawks

I still don't think that Warner Discovery needs to have 3 cartoon channels. WBD could easily merge Discovery Family and Boomerang into a single channel. Keeping both channels is redundant, but as @LinusFan303 already stated, Discovery is known for having redundant channels. When I had DirecTV, I used to watch the Science Channel, but now, I see that some of the Science Channel shows are also airing on Discovery Channel. Why does Discovery have both Food Network and Cooking Channel? They just do.
This gives me an idea, why not MULTIPLE kids channels aimed at animation from a single company? The ratings ARE SO in the toilet that any one of them can easily be the highest rated with ABSOLUTELY zero effort.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these proposals:

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.

Featured Posts