What was the best Saturday morning block

THE 24 king

I ask this because I watched fox-kids, but no kidswb, i watch ABC One Saturday morning, so what was the best block an what shows did it have or still have on Thanks.

Jeff Harris

Creator/Webmaster, TXB
Even though I was reared on 80s cartoons, I have to tip my hat to Fox Kids as being the best Saturday morning block ever created.

Why?

Well, let's see. They pretty much dominated the culture of kids for most of the decade with a mixture of old shows and new, creating new brand names and reinvigorating classics. Before it became Saban's playground and devoid of Warner-produced fare, Fox Kids was very diverse with shows from just about every studio with the exception of, ironically, Disney. In the midst of the FCC/Congressional meddling, Fox Kids stood like a beacon in the light for much of the decade.

In the world of Saturday Morning television, Fox Kids ruled.

Old Guy

FOX Kids from 1993-95. Batman. Animaniacs. Power Rangers. X-Men. Spider-Man. Life with Louie. Eerie, Indiana. Goosebumps. Just to name a few.

The Huntsman

Friend of Toon Zone
Nostalgia aside, I’m going to go with Disney XD’s current block. I know that I’m going to take a lot of flak for saying this, but it actually has a lot of shows that I watch. A novel idea, I know, but I only watched one-or-two shows on the highly praised blocks of lore. Disney XD’s current block, on the other hand, has new episodes of “Phineas & Ferb”, “Jimmy Two-Shoes”, “Kid vs. Kat” and “Yin Yang Yo!”, all of which I thoroughly enjoy. I can also enjoy the new episodes of “Monster Buster Club” on occasions, even though my opinion of that series is fairly low. Unfortunately, new episodes for those animated programs are running out so I will gradually watch the block less and less, but I think this is currently the most I have ever watched a Saturday morning block.

Tobias

Who you gonna call?
It's hard to choose. NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, and Kid's WB all had great lineups at various points.

NBC gave us Smurfs, Alvin & The Chipmunks, ALF, Saved By the Bell, and a few others;

CBS had Muppet Babies, TMNT, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures, Pee-Wee's Playhouse;

ABC had Sonic SatAM, The Addams Family, Superfriends, Scooby Doo, Darkwing Duck, The Wild West C.O.W. Boys of Moo Mesa and Beetljuice among others.

Fox gave us Batman: TAS, Animaniacs, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Power Rangers, X-Men TAS, and the Tick;

And Kid's WB had Men In Black, Batman Beyond, Pokemon, Legion of Superheroes, X-Men Evolution, etc.

There's no way to choose, I loved all them. When they put their heart into it, all of them had superb lineups. But in the later years and the execs didn't care, the lineups sucked. Hard. But I still can't decide.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
Of non-cable channels, I say One Saturday Morning. Its the only line-up I was even remotely into.

THE 24 king

well mind would be Fox kids they had power rangers, Digimon Transformers,Beast Wars,X-men , spider man,NASCAR Racers just to name some of my favorite

CottonSwab

I enjoyed the ABC, CBS and NBC blocks in the 80's into the early 90's, but I also watched FoxKids and other cartoon blocks during Saturday mornings back in the day, it's hard for be to pick just one. I guess I would have to choose FoxKids for the 90's and ABC for the 80's, but that does not mean that the other blocks were not good, I guess I just had the best memories with those two.

ABrown

Saturday morning block? How about Saturday night block! Didn't Cartoon Network have Justice League, the 2002 He-Man, and Teen Titans all on their Saturday night block at one point.

PC!

lolwut?
Fox Kids all the way. I have so many great memories watching Digimon, Power Rangers, and the like every Saturday morning. Unlike probably most members here, I started watching Saturday morning cartoons in my mid-teens.

Anthonynotes

THe early 80s CBS lineup might be a good bet---given it was the home of "The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show".

Other choices:
- ABC's lineup in the late 80s/early 90s (Pup Named Scooby Doo, plus more Looney Tunes).

- Fox Kids' lineup in the 90s (pre-Saban-overkill)

- Kids WB's lineup in the 90s (pre-Pokemon-overkill)

-B.

SF4Ever

ABC's Saturday morning lineup from the 1977-78 season:

8:00 a.m. - The All-New Superfriends Hour

9:00 a.m. - Scooby's All-Star Laff-a-lympics

11:00 a.m. - Krofft Super Hour

12:00 p.m. - ABC Weekend Special

12:30 p.m. - Dick Clark's American Bandstand

Talk about retro Saturday morning, this had to be the network lineup, way back in the day, back when The Superfriends and Scooby-Doo ruled animation TV. At the same time, ABC also had its educational Schoolhouse Rock segments. Those were the golden days of Saturday morning television.

satam55

I loved a lot of the blocks from 90's, so it's going to be impossible for me to choose.

The poster who chose Disney XD's current block needs to slap themselves, unless you're comparing it to the current blocks of today in 2009.

cyde

ABC's Saturday morning lineup from the 1977-78 season:

8:00 a.m. - The All-New Superfriends Hour

9:00 a.m. - Scooby's All-Star Laff-a-lympics

11:00 a.m. - Krofft Super Hour

12:00 p.m. - ABC Weekend Special

12:30 p.m. - Dick Clark's American Bandstand

Talk about retro Saturday morning, this had to be the network lineup, way back in the day, back when The Superfriends and Scooby-Doo ruled animation TV. At the same time, ABC also had its educational Schoolhouse Rock segments. Those were the golden days of Saturday morning television.
Same with me, but only for the Superfriends and Laff A lympics. Krofft and AB didn't count for me as Saturday morning programming. For me, ONLY animated programming counts as real Saturday morning fare, not that live action junk.

Spotlight

Staff online

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts