Which Decade was Better (For Animation): The 90's or the (20)10's?

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
90s, absolutely no contest. What has the 2010s brought us/ Adventure Time? Regular Show? No thanks. The 90s gave us some of the best cartoons of all time. It's not even comparable.
I really like the 2010s and I never watch Adventure Time or Regular Show. There's a lot more than that.

And @chipmunksfan, it looks like you're only interested in 80s and 90s cartoons and reboots from those same old cartoons. To me it seems like you just don't like originality. You can't expect everyone to be the same.

Last edited:

chipmunksfan

80 seriously every cartoon back then was just one huge commercial animated by a Japanese company

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
That's wildly incorrect. What about Alvin and The Chipmunks, Ducktales, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Garfield and Friends... Even Japanese cartoons were awesome like DragonBall and all the spin offs that followed. But the best thing about the 80s were the animated movies like The Little Mermaid, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, All Dogs Go to Heaven, and various others, not to mention the abundance of Japanese animated feature films at that time like My Neighbor Totoro, Akira and many others.

The 90s were the best overall IMO, but the 80 take a close second place. Not nearly as much iconic and revolutionary work has come out since the 2000s, comparatively. It's mostly generic flash animation and remakes of the 80s stuff, and whatever new stuff comes out happens to flop and get cancelled quickly for the most part. And that trend's largely set to continue, whether or not we like it.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
The 90s were the best overall IMO, but the 80 take a close second place. Not nearly as much iconic and revolutionary work has come out since the 2000s, comparatively. It's mostly generic flash animation and remakes of the 80s stuff, and whatever new stuff comes out happens to flop and get cancelled quickly for the most part. And that trend's largely set to continue, whether or not we like it.
What about Avatar The Legend of Aang, Ben 10, Kim Possible, Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls, Adventure Time and Regular Show, just to name a few? Those cartoons did not flop at all.

StorytellerMJ5

I believe people can like whatever decade they want to like, but I always find it a bit strange when people say stuff like everything from a certain decade is bad or terrible or whatever. I believe that if you like animation than it shouldn't be too difficult to find at least a few shows you can like from any decade. But, that's just me. Nostalgia can be good or bad, depending on how you view it, but it doesn't hurt to look at other things as well. As long as you want to. Sometimes it feels like people generalize a whole decade based on one or two shows they don't like.

I find the whole which decade is better discussion to be a difficult one for me, because I like stuff from all different decades, but mostly 90s to now are where most of my favorite shows come from.

Mr. Daniel

Back (but just occasionally)
As someone who enjoy both decades of Animation, I did not expect to see so much hate to the 2010's on this forum. My theory on this subject is that the mid to late 2000's, when cartoons weren't doing that well, 90's kid's developed a disease called "Superior-itis" and complained about how cartoons were not as good as their beloved Nostalgic shows. However, animators found a cure called "GCOT10" (Good Cartoons of the 2010's)" and made shows so awesome and unique that they matched the quality of the 90's cartoons. It cured some 90's kids (myself included), But unfortunately, most of them still live with the disease known as "Superior-itis"

chipmunksfan

That`s it, just destroy any and all opinions you disagree with. I did use "IMO," for all my opinions. Sad how young people today don`t have the mental capacity to see an opinion contrary to their own without throwing hissy fits.

StorytellerMJ5

That`s it, just destroy any and all opinions you disagree with. I did use "IMO," for all my opinions. Sad how young people today don`t have the mental capacity to see an opinion contrary to their own without throwing hissy fits.

Just wondering, but who exactly are you talking about? And why assume they're young?

chipmunksfan

Just wondering, but who exactly are you talking about? And why assume they're young?
That would at least be an excuse for their attitude, a poor one at that. Not that I`m old myself, being 27 I`m mostly criticizing my own generation, which I find to be mostly narrow-minded. At any rate, if you`re looking for ways to add to the criticism directed toward me, I`m afraid my view is further justified. Either certain people on this message board will learn to be tolerant of alternate viewpoints, or I`m gonna have to end up blocking the majority of posters and be reading mostly blank threads. Not a huge loss as far as anyone`s concerned, I`m sure. I expect those certain others to reward me with same treatment and that would honestly be an improvement to this status quo.

I`m talking about some of the posts above that are clearly directed toward me in a most unfavorable way. I don`t find them offensive for being about me, but rather I find them painful to read due to the high level of visceral bigotry and one-sidedness in them. I would appreciate reading others` views if they weren`t obviously written in a mean and spiteful way. What is this world coming to if you can`t chat about cartoons without provoking mild hysteria.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
That's wildly incorrect. What about Alvin and The Chipmunks, Ducktales, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Garfield and Friends... Even Japanese cartoons were awesome like DragonBall and all the spin offs that followed. But the best thing about the 80s were the animated movies like The Little Mermaid, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, All Dogs Go to Heaven, and various others, not to mention the abundance of Japanese animated feature films at that time like My Neighbor Totoro, Akira and many others.

TMNT and Power Rangers were the poster boys for the commercials and I said 80s a good chunk of the shows you mentioned are 90s

StorytellerMJ5

That would at least be an excuse for their attitude, a poor one at that. Not that I`m old myself, being 27 I`m mostly criticizing my own generation, which I find to be mostly narrow-minded. At any rate, if you`re looking for ways to add to the criticism directed toward me, I`m afraid my view is further justified. Either certain people on this message board will learn to be tolerant of alternate viewpoints, or I`m gonna have to end up blocking the majority of posters and be reading mostly blank threads. Not a huge loss as far as anyone`s concerned, I`m sure. I expect those certain others to reward me with same treatment and that would honestly be an improvement to this status quo.

I`m talking about some of the posts above that are clearly directed toward me in a most unfavorable way. I don`t find them offensive for being about me, but rather I find them painful to read due to the high level of visceral bigotry and one-sidedness in them. I would appreciate reading others` views if they weren`t obviously written in a mean and spiteful way. What is this world coming to if you can`t chat about cartoons without provoking mild hysteria.

I don't really see too many posts that could be considered rude, I know mine wasn't. People just seem to disagree with some of your opinions.

chipmunksfan

TMNT and Power Rangers were the poster boys for the commercials and I said 80s a good chunk of the shows you mentioned are 90s
Some of the shows I mentioned continued into the 90s, like TMNT, but all of them started in the 80s if I`m not mistaken.

I don't really see too many posts that could be considered rude, I know mine wasn't. People just seem to disagree with some of your opinions.

Awesome. Let`s disagree in a civilized manner. I`m not blaming you. Honestly, I`m not gonna let it get to me because there`s always the "ignore" option, but it`s just sad to see the state of the civilization when a petty subject like this becomes something resembling a war instead of being just lighthearted conversation about cartoons, for crying out loud.

PapaGreg

What about Avatar The Legend of Aang, Ben 10, Kim Possible, Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls, Adventure Time and Regular Show, just to name a few? Those cartoons did not flop at all.
I can name more
Teen Titans
Ben 10
TMNT 2k3
Invader Zim
Amazing World of Gumball
Steven Universe
Justice League
Brave and the Bold
Bojack Horseman
Archer
Rick and Morty
And ETC

@chipmunksfan
My Neighbor Totaro was made in the 90s

Last edited by a moderator:

dothesmartthing

Planet Yakko
I don't understand why the 2010s should be included in the debate. This is 2015; that's halfway through the 2010s decade, the one we're in now. It's certainly possible some future cartoons will earn an even bigger acclaim than the recent ones many of us love now.

But really, I think it's a bit early to consider the 2010s included in the "best decade for cartoons" debate.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
Awesome. Let`s disagree in a civilized manner. I`m not blaming you. Honestly, I`m not gonna let it get to me because there`s always the "ignore" option, but it`s just sad to see the state of the civilization when a petty subject like this becomes something resembling a war instead of being just lighthearted conversation about cartoons, for crying out loud.

I've looked over the thread and the atmosphere really isn't as bad as you think it is. Most people here have been respectful, even when they disagree with each other. Although, providing insulting generalizations doesn't help matters for either side.

Regardless, this is a warning for both sides of this debate. Please don't post anything rude or insulting when disagreeing with each other. If you feel like a person is being rude or insulting with their response, please report it instead of complaining about it within the thread. Any further rule violations will result in infractions. Please get back to a more productive discussion. Thank you.

PapaGreg

What is this about which decade has the best cartoons? This is 2015; that's halfway through the 2010s decade, the one we're in now. It's certainly possible some future cartoons will earn an even bigger acclaim than the recent ones many of us love now.

But really, I think it's a bit early to consider the 2010s included in the "best decade for cartoons" debate.
Its kinda hard to dicate best cartoon decade because lets face it animation wasn't really doing anything until the 90s and the 2010s are kinda in that akward phase of T.V and streaming

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
No one was ever trying to offend you, and I am sorry if you considered my posts offensive. Just be aware that we're on a forum. When you say something here, you shouldn't be surprised that not everyone will agree.

You might find me one-sided, but I don't think so. I grew up with 90s cartoons too, and I find a good chunk of those still entertaining. I don't hate the 90s at all. I like many cartoons from many different decades.

I've just made a list of 90s cartoons I like. I could find 21.
I also like 18 cartoons from 2010-2015. (and I try to give all Western cartoons a chance, including obscure ones)

You have to ask yourself: how many of those new cartoons did I actually give a chance? That's what one-sidedness is all about. You can't rate a decade based on a few cartoons.

Last edited:

chipmunksfan

^OK we won`t talk about that anymore.

What I don`t find appealing about 2010s cartoons is the character designs, of all things. That`s the thing that sticks out to me first and foremost. The characters are drawn too simply and don`t even look cute IMO. Whether we`re talking about Adventure Time, Regular Show, Pig Goat Banana whatever, Teen Titans Go! etc. none of them just offer the visual appeal for me to want to watch. I didn`t spend my childhood watching internet cartoons (much,) so perhaps those who did have a greater tolerance for that kind of, should I say `lazy` character design. It takes the visuals to get me sucked into something, and only then will I begin to notice any deeper than visual qualities, if there are any to speak of. That`s why I haven`t given most of these cartoons much of a chance. There are some old shows I watch, not for the visuals but for the stories, like Star Trek for example. But, when it comes to cartoons I have certain, different expectations.

The only 2010s cartoon where I like the character design is Alvinnn!!! and The Chipmunks. You can tell that a lot of effort went into that show (comparatively to most other contemporary cartoons.) But the main reason I like that show is because of the stories first and the music second.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Yeah, character designs have become less important because animators decided to focus more on the backgrounds. As a result the characters look quite ''simple'' and their world looks beautiful. I personally don't mind this.

There are some exceptions who do have great character designs, but most of those are action shows. Hubert and Takako and Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated are the only non-action cartoons I can think of right now that meet these criteria.

chipmunksfan

I`m sorry, what does Hubert and Takako have to do with Scooby Doo! Mystery Inc? I don`t get the correlation between the two. The prior has weird looking characters while the characters in the latter look quite decent IMO.

Lord Hater

Retired
The only 2010s cartoon where I like the character design is Alvinnn!!! and The Chipmunks. You can tell that a lot of effort went into that show (comparatively to most other contemporary cartoons.) But the main reason I like that show is because of the stories first and the music second.
Then you would like Phineas and Ferb. But you won't give it a chance at all just because it was made in the 2010s.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts