Which Decade was Better (For Animation): The 90's or the (20)10's?

TFormersMarvel

The "Anime is the best, other animation origin and styles are inferior" is exactly the type of mindset/opinion that I'm really starting to despise the most. It especially hurts when some talented art creates legitimately good anime version of a western cartoon (like Mike Intel's work on Gumball and Adventure Time), only for the reaction to come off mostly as "Wow, I'll totally watch this cartoon if it was an anime all the time! " Not because of the characters, the plot, the writing style, the staff or twists on concepts for instance. No, just because "it doesn't look pretty enough" and that could literally be just that.

Seriously, Crayon Shin-chan is a long running popular anime franchise with THAT art-style and animation. Does it look like deranged and not like the "typical" art found in Attack On Titan and One Punch Man? Of course, because even anime is not restricted to one visual style. People watch it regardless mainly for the humor, not because how its drawn.

Relating to the topic, as others have stated, this decade is not even done yet (halfway there), and we're comparing it to a full 10 years of the 90s?

Last edited:

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
The "Anime is the best, other animation origin and styles are inferior" is exactly the type of mindset/opinion that I'm really starting to despise the most. It especially hurts when some talented art creates legitimately good anime version of a western cartoon (like Mike Intel's work on Gumball and Adventure Time), only for the reaction to come off mostly as "Wow, I'll totally watch this cartoon if it was an anime all the time! " Not because of the characters, the plot, the writing style, the staff or twists on concepts for instance. No, just because "it doesn't look pretty enough" and that could literally be just that.

Seriously, Crayon Shin-chan is a long running popular anime franchise with THAT art-style and animation. Does it look like deranged and not like the "typical" art found in Attack On Titan and One Punch Man? Of course not, because even anime is not restricted to one visual style. People watch it regardless mainly for the humor, not because how its drawn.

Relating to the topic, as others have stated, this decade is not even done yet (halfway there), and we're comparing it to a full 10 years of the 90s?
Also most of the time anime isn't One Punch Man or AOT but more like this
Meanwhile simplier designs give you this

Like one is a bunch of pictures trying to represent action while the other one is actual animation, do you notice how spidy keeps moving, hell there was more animation in those 2 minutes then that 14 minute scene from Fairy Tail

Last edited:

Mikurotoro92

Banned

Seriously, Crayon Shin-chan is a long running popular anime franchise with THAT art-style and animation. Does it look like deranged and not like the "typical" art found in Attack On Titan and One Punch Man? Of course not, because even anime is not restricted to one visual style. People watch it regardless mainly for the humor, not because how its drawn.

this! iam SO freaking sick & tired of people dismissing anything that isn't an anime or from japan! they are known as "japanophiles" & they really get on my nerves! i like both anime & cartoons but i watched cartoons long before i was introduced to anime! people absolutely need to remember WE WOULDN'T HAVE ANIME WITHOUT CARTOONS!

EDIT:not to mention some cartoons have more thought put into them & are better than some anime! at least most cartoons aren't made just to sell toys! how do you like THAT you japanophiles? the truth hurts doesn't it?

Last edited:

Doguineta

but you're acting like japan is the be-all-end-all of countries that produce animated shows which is simply not the case! there's probably tons of anime, tv shows, music, video games,etc from japan that are considered total crap while the same would hold true for US & canadian-produced stuff especially tv shows (two words:reality tv) & music! (bieber, swift, other tween singers) look i love japan but even i know not everything from there is pure gold plus i also like stuff from the US & UK!

btw of course japan likes disney they like really cute characters plus disney is what gave us anime in the first place!

EDIT:im not into steven u but i see absolutely nothing wrong with the graphics they are very good quality! i think some of the modern CG cartoons have crap graphics(i tend to prefer 2-d hand-drawn graphics & one thing anime has over cartoons is they mainly use 2-d hand-drawn graphics style) except nick's revival of TMNT, mickey mouse clubhouse, & some of the preschool cartoons produced by brown bag studios because they all know how to utilize CG properly!

EDIT 2: most if not all my fav cartoons (rugrats, SBSP,house of mouse, etc) have a 2-d hand-drawn graphics style!
Yo I was with you until you said Taylor's "crap". It's all fine and dandy if you don't like her music but you don't get THAT popular being crap. I don't get the mentality that to defend something you have to diss something else in the process.

Zen Man

Maybe I'm a little biased ( grew up in the 90's) but for me the 90's have the edge over 10's. A lot of 90's shows had the perfect blend of comedy/drama while not being too melodramatic/too topical. A lot of the 10's cartoons seem like carbon copies of each other.

ReblelRockets

Honestly, I think both decades were amazing turning points for animation, so it would be hard to choose. But probably the 90s since without ground breaking shows like Ren and Stimpy, tiny toons, batman TAS, ect, we wouldnt have the great shows of today like wander over yonder or gravity falls.

NewYorkEagle

The 90s was when animation was good. Especially when Nickelodeon still had good crap like Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life and Hey Arnold. I may be a 2000s kid, but I gotta say that the 90s were better for them, than the 2010s.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts