"Young Justice" News & Discussion Thread, Part 35 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Man, Jason really didn't get to do that much in-universe :sweat:.

Huh. It's weird that she's younger than Billy's adult self, even though she looks older than 18 and older than the actual Mary who is around that age. I guess it's still kind of like Billy where the you can see more similarities compared to the kid forms :confused:.

(Their handling of Mary in general is still going to be one of my sore spots for this season).
Yeah. Hope they shed light on that sad tale.

I think the best way to think of it is the Shazam form is when they're in their prime/best. For whatever reason, Mary's prime was 18 and Billy's was 24, the latter will surprise that in 5 years as well.

Agreed. But how Zee's arc ended, it'll get worse.

Frontier

Staff member
Yeah. Hope they shed light on that sad tale.

I think the best way to think of it is the Shazam form is when they're in their prime/best. For whatever reason, Mary's prime was 18 and Billy's was 24, the latter will surprise that in 5 years as well.

Agreed. But how Zee's arc ended, it'll get worse.
This makes me wonder about Freddy because his form always came off younger than Billy and Mary (hence the whole "Captain Marvel Jr. thing). Actually I think he was the only one who never changed ages much when he transformed.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
In an interview with Kari Wahlgren, she mentions that there were bigger plans for Carol Ferris before the show's cancellation and the revival changing that direction.
Yep, she said that, too, to the same site in April 2019 but hasn't divulged much more. Safe to say it was Carol becoming Star Sapphire.

Frontier

Staff member
In an interview with Kari Wahlgren, she mentions that there were bigger plans for Carol Ferris before the show's cancellation and the revival changing that direction.
Yep, she said that, too, to the same site in April 2019 but hasn't divulged much more. Safe to say it was Carol becoming Star Sapphire.
I wonder if that would've featured Hal too because it feels weird to think she'd turn into Star Sapphire and not have him involved in it :confused:.

Then again now I guess we can just retroactively assume it potentially played out like GL:TAS and she just has her ring...maybe she'll become a reserve member :p?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I wonder if that would've featured Hal too because it feels weird to think she'd turn into Star Sapphire and not have him involved in it :confused:.

Then again now I guess we can just retroactively assume it potentially played out like GL:TAS and she just has her ring...maybe she'll become a reserve member :p?
This was back in season 2 so they clearly had a plan for Carol before Vietti got the idea for Razer's appearance this season so I would say don't assume anything. But it's possible. I guess it depends on how much in control Carol is when she becomes Star Sapphire for the JL to consider her a reserve member OR conclude it's best that she never have to use her ring. There were 2 or 3 squares blocked by Black Lightning and Superman in the meeting.

Frontier

Staff member
This was back in season 2 so they clearly had a plan for Carol before Vietti got the idea for Razer's appearance this season so I would say don't assume anything. But it's possible. I guess it depends on how much in control Carol is when she becomes Star Sapphire for the JL to consider her a reserve member OR conclude it's best that she never have to use her ring. There were 2 or 3 squares blocked by Black Lightning and Superman in the meeting.
Well, yeah, I definitely don't think they were planning on incorporating GL:TAS continuity in the show at the time, although now they've basically opened the floodgates :p.

I guess it's also a matter of whether Carol even wants to be an active Superhero...

ShadowStar

Huh. It's weird that she's younger than Billy's adult self, even though she looks older than 18 and older than the actual Mary who is around that age. I guess it's still kind of like Billy where the you can see more similarities compared to the kid forms :confused:.
There are a few of things in play here. Sergeant was portrayed as incredibly angry in the Nabu trial, to the point where there were lines around her eyes that suggested that she was older than 20-year old Mary... but that may have just been the anger and angst making her look older in those particular moments. Whereas if you watch her during the "Stop dabbling in half-measures!" moment, and when she's flying above Mary immediately after that, she arguably looks like a girl in her late teens. The way that the episode was directed made it easy to miss these clues (no offense to the talented crew who worked on this great episode)!

Another thing that's misleading in that scene is that Sergeant is only shown alongside present day Mary and teen Billy, both of whom are not very tall. She towers above them so she looks like she's biologically much older than them here, even though that clearly isn't the case.

Finally, it's true that Sergeant looks older than Mary here, on the basis of height alone, but the fact that Sergeant is the younger one biologically emphasises the fact that they are not the same -- Sergeant is like an idealised, super soldier version of Mary. Therefore a biologically 18 year old Sgt. could absolutely look like a very tough and imposing lady, even though 18 year old Mary might have looked smaller and more slight. It makes sense that Mary could look younger than Sgt., even when she has surpassed Sgt.'s biological age.

I'm glad that the show has finally started to address these issues with the Shazam powers/forms. For years, the fans had absolutely no idea what was going on with Lt. and Sgt. Marvel, and how they differed from Captain Marvel (if at all). Now we're finally starting to get a sense of them. Of course, if they had been in season 2 then some of this confusion might have been avoided.

Frontier

Staff member
There are a few of things in play here. Sergeant was portrayed as incredibly angry in the Nabu trial, to the point where there were lines around her eyes that suggested that she was older than 20-year old Mary... but that may have just been the anger and angst making her look older in those particular moments. Whereas if you watch her during the "Stop dabbling in half-measures!" moment, and when she's flying above Mary immediately after that, she arguably looks like a girl in her late teens. The way that the episode was directed made it easy to miss these clues (no offense to the talented crew who worked on this great episode)!

Another thing that's misleading in that scene is that Sergeant is only shown alongside present day Mary and teen Billy, both of whom are not very tall. She towers above them so she looks like she's biologically much older than them here, even though that clearly isn't the case.

Finally, it's true that Sergeant looks older than Mary here, on the basis of height alone, but the fact that Sergeant is the younger one biologically emphasises the fact that they are not the same -- Sergeant is like an idealised, super soldier version of Mary. Therefore a biologically 18 year old Sgt. could absolutely look like a very tough and imposing lady, even though 18 year old Mary might have looked smaller and more slight. It makes sense that Mary could look younger than Sgt., even when she has surpassed Sgt.'s biological age.

I'm glad that the show has finally started to address these issues with the Shazam powers/forms. For years, the fans had absolutely no idea what was going on with Lt. and Sgt. Marvel, and how they differed from Captain Marvel (if at all). Now we're finally starting to get a sense of them. Of course, if they had been in season 2 then some of this confusion might have been avoided.
That's definitely a good explanation for it, but one way or another I ultimately just did not care for their depiction of Mary, her characterization, and her adult form, all the moreso because this is the first time we've ever seen her on the show.

Frontier

Staff member
I know Bourassa's not the main designer any more, but I wonder if Star Sapphire would look like she did in JL: Doom....maybe minus the exposed belly button :p.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Weisman clarified Mary's 1/3, "She doesn't drain anything from either of them. And certainly gets nothing from (or owes anything to) Freddy. That power is hers now. Given freely and impossible to return."

He also mentioned the numbers this season on HBO Max are "stunningly good" and today, he saw numbers that indicated YJ has more views this year than any other animated super-hero series on any streaming service and even beat out a couple of prestige live-action super-hero series.

Frontier

Staff member
Weisman clarified Mary's 1/3, "She doesn't drain anything from either of them. And certainly gets nothing from (or owes anything to) Freddy. That power is hers now. Given freely and impossible to return."
I remember people speculating that was why she didn't transform anymore...which to be honest I might have preferred because it would've been a more heroic reason, but whatever :shrug:.

That was a pretty ominous ending statement though :sweat:.
He also mentioned the numbers this season on HBO Max are "stunningly good" and today, he saw numbers that indicated YJ has more views this year than any other animated super-hero series on any streaming service and even beat out a couple of prestige live-action super-hero series.
That's great to hear :).

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I hope that bodes well for another season, or at least a spin-off like the Harley Quinn series is getting. And that's saying something considering I've become more and more cynical over shows I like making it to another season.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Fingers crossed for season five renewal.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I hope that bodes well for another season, or at least a spin-off like the Harley Quinn series is getting. And that's saying something considering I've become more and more cynical over shows I like making it to another season.
I don't know if we'll ever get a proper spinoff (do they even have the resources for that?) but at the very least I feel more comfortable about a new season now than I've ever been :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm
It's such a shame that the anime with the long-pink-haired girls like Hinagiku Katsura and Bocchi are never officially dubbed into English. What do you think?

Featured Posts