"Young Justice: Outsiders (2019 One-Shot)" Issue #1 Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this comic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

• **1/2

Votes: 1 100.0%

• *1/2

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Chapter One of a one-shot DC Universe digital comic! Based on the upcoming DC Universe animated series from Warner Bros. Animation!

YOUNG JUSTICE: OUTSIDERS #1 (of 2)

Written by: Greg Weisman
Art by: Christopher Jones

Torch Songs, Part 1
As Superboy and Miss Martian prepare for a new mission, the tension in their relationship affects the team. But with Psimon on the loose, they MUST pull it together!
Release Date: January 2, 2019

Comments?

Related Link:

-Young Justice comics at DC Universe
-Young Justice Outsiders comics at DC Universe

ShadowStar

Intriguing start to the story - I'm interested to see where they go with this. The Q&A scene struck me as very strange, which leads me to wonder whether Superboy and Beast Boy were not actually saying/thinking those things but if those comments were made by Psimon instead (in order to influence M'gann). Was a little surprised by the designation slip-up regarding Superboy - hope that won't happen on the show. Delighted that Batgirl is very involved in this story. Overall, a promising start and I'm excited to read the resolution!

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
It's nice to see M'Gann's hair longer again, since I feel like that fits her better, especially as she tries to distance herself from her season 2 self :).

I wonder what happened to Conner and M'Gann on Mars. It seems like something happened that distanced them again and made them go back to a "just teammates" relationship. I guess they're still back to the "Will They or Won't They" members of the team :shrug:.

Man, Jonathan Lord is a player. Cheats on his first wife with Sandra Stanyon, then he cheats on Sandra after they get married. Feels a little...Harrison Ford-ish, I think? With Sandra as Carrie Fisher (although she and Ford never married). The love lives of celebrities :p.

I don't think they would have been able to talk about Lord and Sandra having sex on their TV show's living room couch in the old comic :sweat:.

Beast Boy can't talk in his animal form? I feel like that's consistent with how the show handled it, but it's a bit of a departure from how they usually handle his transformations. I wonder if that's just because he's still growing into them...

I wonder if getting stuck in the world of Hello Megan! is M'Gann's worst nightmare or her greatest dream :rolleyes2:?
Intriguing start to the story - I'm interested to see where they go with this. The Q&A scene struck me as very strange, which leads me to wonder whether Superboy and Beast Boy were not actually saying/thinking those things but if those comments were made by Psimon instead (in order to influence M'gann). Was a little surprised by the designation slip-up regarding Superboy - hope that won't happen on the show. Delighted that Batgirl is very involved in this story. Overall, a promising start and I'm excited to read the resolution!
Yeah, that part where Superboy showed up to push M'Gann on to ask questions felt really abrupt and out-of-nowhere, and I'm not sure if Beast Boy would have broken his cover so quickly like that :confused:.

Last edited:

ShadowStar

I don't think they would have been able to talk about Lord and Sandra having sex on their TV show's living room couch in the old comic :sweat:.

Superboy showed up to push M'Gann on to ask questions felt really abrupt and out-of-nowhere, and I'm not sure if Beast Boy would have broken his cover so quickly like that :confused:.

Yeah, it was kind of weird that Sandra was talking so frankly about her (possible) sex life in front of a large audience but perhaps I’m a bit naive to find that unusual! And great point about Beast Boy - I wonder whether that was Psimon’s doing or whether Garfield is just that attention-seeking... I mean, he did hint that he wanted his own reality series back in “Bloodlines”...

I wonder if Psimon’s scheme will have major repercussions for season 3 - interested to see what rejecting the Hello Megan illusion will do to M’gann... And why is Superboy still mad at her? Was she the type to brain-blast others before they first met? That’s the kind of information that he could have gleaned from their visit to Mars...

Frontier

Staff member
Yeah, it was kind of weird that Sandra was talking so frankly about her (possible) sex life in front of a large audience but perhaps I’m a bit naive to find that unusual! And great point about Beast Boy - I wonder whether that was Psimon’s doing or whether Garfield is just that attention-seeking... I mean, he did hint that he wanted his own reality series back in “Bloodlines”...
It helps to imagine her as a Carrie Fisher stand-in ;).
I wonder if Psimon’s scheme will have major repercussions for season 3 - interested to see what rejecting the Hello Megan illusion will do to M’gann... And why is Superboy still mad at her? Was she the type to brain-blast others before they first met? That’s the kind of information that he could have gleaned from their visit to Mars...
Y'know, it would be kind of interesting to know what M'Gann's life on Mars was like since it seemed like she was really desperate or determined to go to Earth to get away from it.

Dorko

I enjoyed it, but it feels like it was adapted from a story set earlier in the show's timeline. There are distinctly post-Invasion elements in it, but the main thrust could easily be from mid-Invasion.

TheLemsterPju

In my opinion, I'm ready for Psimon to be offed. Always found the guy to be a nuisance, and you can only brain blast him so many times and he always comes back from it.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Ha, just a month and change after the season finale of Invasion.

Hmm, if they're stuck in Miss Martian's head, I wonder if Chapter 2 will delve into the Mars mission.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Chapter Two of the DC Universe exclusive one-shot digital comic! Based on the upcoming DC Universe animated series from Warner Bros. Animation!

YOUNG JUSTICE: OUTSIDERS #2

Written by: Greg Weisman
Art by: Christopher Jones

Torch Songs, Part 2
When her teammates get trapped in Psimon's psychic loop, will Batgirl be able to free them? Or will Miss Martian have to break the spell on her own?
Release Date: January 3, 2019

Comments?

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Not bad, not mind blowing. Just a nice small scale story to get the fan gears in our minds rolling some more. And Psimon just being petty I guess.

EDIT: The moderator in Chapter 1 is Tod Donner from Captain Atom #3.

Last edited:

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
So I like to support various Weisman shows when they hit DVD, even binging them through legal streams like today with Disney Plus (or that time when Disney had legit Gargoyles vids free on YouTube) and HBO Max.

Including comics and when possible double dipping with trades. Missed the boat on DC Universe stream and such and even the first YJ trades, but the series did start another reprint session in 2019 with Young Justice Book One Early Missions which I got this year in January and pre-ordered Book Two Growing Up.

First book has 0-13, plus the FCBD story from 2011, but when I pre-ordered Book Two? Obviously mentions that it reprints #14-25, but a post I came across on Twitter made by Christopher Jones mentioned it including Torch Song.

Yep this is no longer exclusively digital, and Amazon recently did mention the fact. I would have announced it where suitable, but I waited for the trade so that I didn't mention it without being sure (I mean why else did other ads not?).

But yeah nice story with a bit of humor, drama and romance. Plus DC's Carrie Fisher not understanding the whole TMI thing:-D.

Well this poster seems to not be active for now, but good point I'll bring up in another thread later:

I enjoyed it, but it feels like it was adapted from a story set earlier in the show's timeline. There are distinctly post-Invasion elements in it, but the main thrust could easily be from mid-Invasion.

Further back actually.

After #19 there were suppose to be several more Season One era comics with the book moving towards Invasion later.

And a story going into a Hello Megan episode was planned as a story. But yeah the creative team had to change format sooner.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
As I recall, it's also an adaptation (and canonization) of one of the Radio Plays that Greg Weisman wrote for a convention. With no crossover characters and plot from his other shows, of course. ;)

ShadowStar

Looking forward to reading this story in print! I've ordered my copy of the trade paperback.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
As I recall, it's also an adaptation (and canonization) of one of the Radio Plays that Greg Weisman wrote for a convention. With no crossover characters and plot from his other shows, of course. ;)

Oh yes, plus some good forth wall humor like:
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
1. Recruits had The Team offering 16 year old Peter Parker membership, but Aunt May would have to be told and yeah no go.

Musicology 101 which is the play you're talking of isn't that far from the time of Recruits, but there's a meta scene where Peter is established as being 18 cause his show is celebrating it's 10 year anniversary.

Also when Professor X shows up to subdue Psimon Weisman justifies to Pete that if he was permitted to use other Marvel characters, TSSM would have had a guest appearance by Xavier, Cyclops and Beast.

Peter complains that he has enough characters between the 3 shows and Weisman threatens to leave him out if they do another crossover.

2. When it gets to the panel for asking Sandra questions, she is interrupted due to a fan named Spitfire asking if Wally West will appear in Young Justice Season 3 and what's the point of the Season if not.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
First book has 0-13, plus the FCBD story from 2011, but when I pre-ordered Book Two? Obviously mentions that it reprints #14-25, but a post I came across on Twitter made by Christopher Jones mentioned it including Torch Song.

Yep this is no longer exclusively digital, and Amazon recently did mention the fact. I would have announced it where suitable, but I waited for the trade so that I didn't mention it without being sure (I mean why else did other ads not?).
Yeah, the only other time Torch Song was printed was a convention exclusive comic book which probably is being sold at a high rate worthy of grumbles. It's nice to have it more accessible even if it means double dipping.
Further back actually.

After #19 there were suppose to be several more Season One era comics with the book moving towards Invasion later.

And a story going into a Hello Megan episode was planned as a story. But yeah the creative team had to change format sooner.
Correct, he had an idea for a story centered on an episode of Hello, Megan! during the original comic run before DC made him skip to the Invasion time frame. This was talked about on the Nerdy Show podcast Episode 160 (Nov. 18, 2013) at the 45:29 mark.
I actually had an idea for an issue of the comics. Basically do a whole issue with a little framing device that was otherwise an episode of Hello Megan! but we didn't because the comic didn't last long enough to do that.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts