"Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's" Toonzai Talkback: Road to Destiny Arc (Episodes 65+)

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm not counting the Pyramid of Light movie as any sort of canon at all. It was entirely out of character for Yami to want to use the God Cards against any ordinary duelist at all, let alone three at once. It also placed too much focus on the God Cards at all and just made it seem like "the god cards are unbeatable" with it only being Obelisk's ability, but to someone with no background knowledge it was just seem like "oh look, these are the ultimate cards". The way they did it, it is understandable why the movie got such horrible reviews (and as much as I like the series and liked the movie when I first saw it, I can't say I like it anymore). That somewhat dilutes the surprise when he summons all the God Cards during his ceremonial duel with Yugi, and it made more sense there - Marik even mentioned something like "If he uses Ra's ability, he can increase its power to almost 15000!" His goal wasn't to win at any cost, but to test Yugi, which is why he didn't use that ability, or even attempt Obelisk's and just win the duel there and then like he did in the movie.

It's been awhile since I've seen the movie, but I'm pretty sure that Atem didn't want to summon all three God Cards against Kaiba. I think that Kaiba played a card that forced him to summon monsters that had the same level as Slifer did in order to play that Pyramid of Light trap card to remove the God Cards from the game. I also think that the movie had more problems that were far worse than just the way they used the God Cards that contributed to its poor reviews. Though, I agree that it did make sense for Atem to use all three cards against Yugi due to the point of the duel was testing Yugi to see if they were ready to separate, instead of just winning the duel.

DonkeyKongSong

It's been awhile since I've seen the movie, but I'm pretty sure that Atem didn't want to summon all three God Cards against Kaiba. I think that Kaiba played a card that forced him to summon monsters that had the same level as Slifer did in order to play that Pyramid of Light trap card to remove the God Cards from the game. I also think that the movie had more problems that were far worse than just the way they used the God Cards that contributed to its poor reviews. Though, I agree that it did make sense for Atem to use all three cards against Yugi due to the point of the duel was testing Yugi to see if they were ready to separate, instead of just winning the duel.

That is true, and I know he did in the beginning of the movie too, but that was just a simulation. And it wasn't the same level, "Obligatory Summon" (not a real card) forces the opponent to summon all monsters of the same type. But it just doesn't make sense for Atem to even want to use Slifer against Kaiba. Sure, he wasn't happy with Kaiba's behavior at that point, but as shown by his reluctance to use it against Bakura, as well as how he didn't want to use it against Marik-controlled Joey, he wouldn't want to do so. But the grin on his face when he drew Slifer just seemed out of character to me.

I know there's more that contributed to the poor reviews, and even it had been in character and the God Card thing, then it would have still gotten bad reviews just b/c it's really for fans only, but I'm sure they may not have been as bad. Another thing is there was so much emphasis on the God Cards in general, making it seem like Atem/Yugi was a wimp without them and they were the way he became King of Games, when in reality he became King of Games by defeating Pegasus (you know, since he kinda created the game) before the God Cards were even heard of.

I don't wish to go too far off topic. If there's any problems, we'll take it to PMs, make a new thread, or bump the old one.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I thought that this week's episode was pretty good. It was interesting to see Yusei face off against all three Nordic God Cards. I thought that he had a pretty good plan with preventing all monsters from attacking, but I didn't expect Thor to have an ability to prevent cards from affecting Nordic Gods. I kind of liked a brief look into Halldor's backstory with how he traveled the world in order to better understand it and gain his God Card. It kind of looks silly on paper, but this is a Yu-Gi-Oh! series and I just went with it. Besides, at least these flashbacks actually make me kind of like Team Ragnarock, unlike with Team Unicorn.

I thought it was a bit weird that Yusei said that he was born on the day when Zero Reverse happened when he was about a year old and he was confirmed to be eighteen, not seventeen, at the start of the series. I also was kind of confused about Yusei talking about this dream where his father talked to him. I'd imagine that it happened during one of the skipped episodes, but since they already made it seem like Jack just created Red Nova Dragon out of nowhere, it's kind of confusing to see them acknowledging something that happened that they didn't dub. It's not like talking about where Jack got that card would make the kids any less confused about this dream Yusei's talking about and considering that they're skipping the last arc to go into Zexal, it's not like it will matter in the long run of the dub. Saying that the building in the sky was his father's shadow was kind of weird, but it was nice to hear Yusei wanting to protect the city's future by going after the three emperors.

While some people might find it cheap, and in some cases I do agree with that, I liked Yusei summoning Majestic Star Dragon. I liked seeing how the combined marks of all of his friends allows for Yusei, and at times Jack, to summon these upgraded versions of their main monsters. It shows off their connection and I like that. Plus, the fact that Yusei's plan didn't go like he thought it was after Halldor saw it makes the use of Majestic Star Dragon much less cheap and anticlimactic than it would have been if it had all worked out. I wasn't expecting a trap that could only be used once its in the graveyard though.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty good episode. The duel was fairly interesting and the motivation between both Halldor and Yusei was nice to see. Although, I'm glad that next week is the last episode. Not because of the quality of the match as it feels pretty much fine to me, but I am getting tired of these Dragons vs. Gods promos both on Toonzai and on their On Demand section.

Golfkid

It seemed like an okay episode this week, but some problems were there.

I agree the dream sequence was off and I don't remember what skipped episode that was honestly. It did feel weird how he mentioned that and he was being born on the day of Zero Reverse. I don't think that makes sense, because he would just be born and in a hospital. Some new writer or something must have put that in. :sweat:

I also don't like how we kept stalling on the duel. While I want other characters to get screen time, the first 10 minutes, the flashbacks, and what Yusei was planning to do felt rather annoying. The first 10 were just "How's Yusei gonna win?" with everyone just saying it differently and Bruno running his mouth off. We then had to see flashbacks to things we already knew (Yusei's flashback barring the undubbed scene), his opponent's, and finally we saw a turn that wasn't going to happen (and not to mention they made it all dramatic and it was obviously not going to work). Seriously, just duel!

I also found it odd how they added dramatic effects to Yusei getting everyone's marks. It would have been nice to do it with Jack as well.

Okay episode, but just...duel!

EDIT: 1,000 posts! Yay!

Chaos Yoshi Mage

The Lonely Raven
finally we saw a turn that wasn't going to happen (and not to mention they made it all dramatic and it was obviously not going to work). Seriously, just duel!

You think that's bad? In Season 4 of GX,
We go through about half a duel that didn't actually happen. Turns out the bad guy could reverse time to win or something. Yeah, it was that confusing...

Yeah, the timeline doesn't really line up, that seems to happen quite a bit in Yu-Gi-Oh!. I liked the backstory we got here which, as Light Lucario said, makes Team Ragnarok far more likable than Team Unicorn. I didn't mind seeing Majestic Star Dragon, we hadn't seen it in awhile either, nice to know it's still there.

So, I guess I'm the only one who's going to miss the wonderfully cheesy DRAGONS VS. GODS! commercials...

Light Lucario

Staff member
So, I guess I'm the only one who's going to miss the wonderfully cheesy DRAGONS VS. GODS! commercials...

Well, I liked them at first, if only for the energy and how it basically felt like they were saying "Please watch this! It will be awesome because we're being so loud!" but it lost its charm on me with playing it over and over again on the block and during the episodes on their On Demand section. Though, I can see how you'd see them as wonderfully cheesy.

Chaos Yoshi Mage

The Lonely Raven
Well, I liked them at first, if only for the energy and how it basically felt like they were saying "Please watch this! It will be awesome because we're being so loud!" but it lost its charm on me with playing it over and over again on the block and during the episodes on their On Demand section. Though, I can see how you'd see them as wonderfully cheesy.

Lol, yeah, I'm sure they get incredibly annoying having to deal with them over and over again. I see them maybe twice each, after 5D's and before the Duel Monsters repeat on before 5D's.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I thought that this was a pretty good episode and a nice way to finish the Team Ragnarok. Though, I still find the Nordic Gods' abilities and support cards seriously broken, especially when how they're resummoned from the graveyard at the end of every turn. I did like how Yusei was able to get Stardust out on the field and have it stay on the field through all of the attacks. While it was cool to see Yusei Accel Synchro summon Shooting Star Dragon, I thought that the way they used the "Let's Rev It Up" catchphrase felt kind of forced. Despite not seeing this episode subbed, I didn't think that the emotion from Yusei's English voice really matched with the way he looked during the summoning.

Still, I was happy to see all three Nordic Gods to be destroyed again. These duels have really made me dislike these monsters and the way they showed those three attacks was really cool. I didn't think that Yusei would make the attacks points of the three Gods zero to avoid the damage. I thought that was pretty cool. Although, I thought that one of Haldor's monsters prevented the Nordic Gods to be affected by spells, traps and special abilities. Though, I probably just missed some detail or it make more sense in the Japanese version.

Overall, I thought that episode was pretty good. The duel was pretty fun and it was nice to see the match between Team Ragnarok and Team 5D's to end. It wasn't nearly as long as the Team Unicorn match, as it was fairly enjoyable, but I thought it was a good spot to end the match. Since I haven't seen the skipped episode subbed yet, I guess that this would be my favorite match out of the dub at this point. Maybe it's just the fact that they're skipping so many episodes to get to Zexal and there's only a handful of episodes left, but I'm just not as excited for the dub that much anymore. Still, I don't want to stop watching it since I tend to finish shows that I do like. Maybe watching some more episodes subbed later on in the week, as I do have more freetime now, will make me feel a bit more excited about watching the dub.

Chaos Yoshi Mage

The Lonely Raven
I thought that this was a pretty good episode and a nice way to finish the Team Ragnarok. Though, I still find the Nordic Gods' abilities and support cards seriously broken, especially when how they're resummoned from the graveyard at the end of every turn. I did like how Yusei was able to get Stardust out on the field and have it stay on the field through all of the attacks. While it was cool to see Yusei Accel Synchro summon Shooting Star Dragon, I thought that the way they used the "Let's Rev It Up" catchphrase felt kind of forced. Despite not seeing this episode subbed, I didn't think that the emotion from Yusei's English voice really matched with the way he looked during the summoning.

Still, I was happy to see all three Nordic Gods to be destroyed again. These duels have really made me dislike these monsters and the way they showed those three attacks was really cool. I didn't think that Yusei would make the attacks points of the three Gods zero to avoid the damage. I thought that was pretty cool. Although, I thought that one of Haldor's monsters prevented the Nordic Gods to be affected by spells, traps and special abilities. Though, I probably just missed some detail or it make more sense in the Japanese version.

Overall, I thought that episode was pretty good. The duel was pretty fun and it was nice to see the match between Team Ragnarok and Team 5D's to end. It wasn't nearly as long as the Team Unicorn match, as it was fairly enjoyable, but I thought it was a good spot to end the match. Since I haven't seen the skipped episode subbed yet, I guess that this would be my favorite match out of the dub at this point. Maybe it's just the fact that they're skipping so many episodes to get to Zexal and there's only a handful of episodes left, but I'm just not as excited for the dub that much anymore. Still, I don't want to stop watching it since I tend to finish shows that I do like. Maybe watching some more episodes subbed later on in the week, as I do have more freetime now, will make me feel a bit more excited about watching the dub.

Yeah, Yusei's "Rev it up!" line felt really corny and forced. I feel that the dub has trouble with having the character's emote most of the time. Every now and then you get a good performance, so you know the VA's are capable, but most of the time the dub actors aren't acting, especially Yusei.

I think that effect was negated, I'm not sure. I can barely follow what's happening half the time due to 4kids' explanations, so I just went with it.

Have you seen the Team Taiyou episodes? I've seen the first two and it's a really fun duel. Anyway, next week, Team 5D's versus Team World? Did 4kids change Team New World's name?

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yeah, Yusei's "Rev it up!" line felt really corny and forced. I feel that the dub has trouble with having the character's emote most of the time. Every now and then you get a good performance, so you know the VA's are capable, but most of the time the dub actors aren't acting, especially Yusei.

I think that effect was negated, I'm not sure. I can barely follow what's happening half the time due to 4kids' explanations, so I just went with it.

I think that Yusei's VA can do a pretty good job at times, depending on the situation and all, but I just thought he was terrible in that moment. It sounded more like he was just shouting instead of acting or providing emotions for his voice to match with how Yusei looked during that scene. Even Yusei's first Accel Synchro in the dub sounded a bit better than that. At least it felt like he was putting more energy into Yusei calling forth Shooting Star Dragon, instead of shouting like he was. The use of "Rev it up" just made it kind of worse than it would have been if he had just shouted out Accel Synchro. Sometimes 4Kids does kind of make it hard to follow the card explanations due to some of the dialogue changes. There were moves in the Fortune Cup that I didn't understand how it worked until I watched the subbed version, such as how Yusei defeated Boomer. It probably was negated by some effect.

Chaos Yoshi Mage said:
Have you seen the Team Taiyou episodes? I've seen the first two and it's a really fun duel. Anyway, next week, Team 5D's versus Team World? Did 4kids change Team New World's name?

Not yet, but I have really good things about the duel and Team Taiyou themselves. I'll try to have a marathon of 5D's subbed episodes later tonight or tomorrow to catch up on the skipped episodes. I noticed that change in Team New World's name for the promo too. It seems kind of weird when they've already referred to the three Emperors as Team New World a few times already, but maybe that was just a mistake on the promo's part and they'll still be called Team New World when the episode airs.

Golfkid

After seeing the episode that aired on Saturday, I don't know. It felt rather odd.

I mean, you knew Yusei was going to win and the Nordic Gods were so broken that it felt rather weird how Yusei won. The Nordic Gods weren't affected by spells, traps, and monster effects. Yet, didn't Yusei use a monster effect to win?

As for the whole "Lets Rev it up!" scene, Yusei yelled Accel Synchro once or twice after that. I mean, how often do I wanna hear Yusei repeat himself? Plus, chances are if he yelled Accel Synchro the first time (instead of his catchphrase), he might have yelled his catchphrase the next time (when he said Accel Synchro).

As for Greg's voice, maybe he was sick the day he recorded. You never know and Darren's a good enough voice director. Maybe Darren was sick that day too.

As for Team Tayio (spelling I know), I'll just leave it at, "They're the best WRGP team, but that still doesn't mean that it's good."

Where dub!Yusei shouted "Let's...rev it...up!," JP!Yusei shouted, "Clear Mind!!", mentioning that state of mind he needs to have to Accel Synchro. Gotta love how there's no mention of it while he's Accel Synchro-ing in the dub. But that moment was really the only bad thing I found about the episode; everything else was mostly accurate, and Shooting Star and Formula Synchron get a chant. Other than that, Yusei's "Go, Accel Synchro!" sounded off to me, almost like he was whining a bit. But that's probably just me, lol.

And about the duel's ending, there were a few misplays going on the entire time. Basically, towards the end, Harald/Haldor was going to use Odin's Eye and sacrifice Tyr so any Magic, Trap, or Monster Effects targeting his Gods would be negated, so he'd use Odin's Eye without his Gods being negatively impacted. But Yusei's Trick Mirror copied Odin's Eye, so he activates its effect as if it was his own, and since he's not sacrificing Tyr, their effects stay negated. Then, Odin attacks but Yusei removes Shooting Star to negate it, and uses Zero Force (since a monster left his field) to make the ATK of more-powerful monsters zero. Cue Gjallarhorn activating, removing them from play (and they can't come back since their returning effect got negated) to hit Yusei with their non-existent ATK. Shooting Star comes back, and he wins with a direct attack. It's all pretty legit, except for Yusei not using Odin's Eye's effect.

And hey, Taiyou's still the most enjoyable series of episodes to come out of the WRGP. :p IMO, of course. Unicorn'd probably be second-best in my book.

Frontier

Staff member
I didn't think Yuseis "Let's... Rev it...up!" was that bad. Might just be me though, or just my joy in seeing him summoning Shooting Star Dragon along with some great animation. The budget went all out this episode didn't it? Still could use some Clear Mind but that's neither here nor there.

I really enjoyed the Team Ragnarok duel. I was kept on the edge of my seat and it was overall quite entertaining. Haldors breakdown after having all three gods destroyed was nice to see, and I liked that Yusei beat him by using his own strategy against him. Yugi would most definetly be proud.

I think the the whole Team World thing was just a promotional mistake, so I wouldn't really look to much into it since they've been called New World for the past five or so episodes.

So the "final" duel of 5D's is upon us... I'm really going to miss this series, and I'm dissapointed that we're not going to see the actual last battle. Still, I'm sure I'll enjoy watching it so it's not a total loss. It's been a real joy watching it and I hope to enjoy Zexal just as much.

Light Lucario

Staff member
And about the duel's ending, there were a few misplays going on the entire time. Basically, towards the end, Harald/Haldor was going to use Odin's Eye and sacrifice Tyr so any Magic, Trap, or Monster Effects targeting his Gods would be negated, so he'd use Odin's Eye without his Gods being negatively impacted. But Yusei's Trick Mirror copied Odin's Eye, so he activates its effect as if it was his own, and since he's not sacrificing Tyr, their effects stay negated. Then, Odin attacks but Yusei removes Shooting Star to negate it, and uses Zero Force (since a monster left his field) to make the ATK of more-powerful monsters zero. Cue Gjallarhorn activating, removing them from play (and they can't come back since their returning effect got negated) to hit Yusei with their non-existent ATK. Shooting Star comes back, and he wins with a direct attack. It's all pretty legit, except for Yusei not using Odin's Eye's effect.

Ah, I was confused about the effect of Yusei's Trick Mirror Trap Card since it wasn't a card that I'm familiar with and I might have missed the explanation that Yusei gave for it when he activated it. That does make his victory make more sense to me. Thank you for the clarification.

sabrewolf said:
So the "final" duel of 5D's is upon us... I'm really going to miss this series, and I'm dissapointed that we're not going to see the actual last battle. Still, I'm sure I'll enjoy watching it so it's not a total loss. It's been a real joy watching it and I hope to enjoy Zexal just as much.

I'm still quite disappointed that they're skipping the last arc of 5D's, especially since I seriously doubt that they'll be able to start Zexal after it finishes. I could easily see them just have another airing of DM repeats during 5D's timeslot until they lose the license or their dub for Zexal is ready, whichever comes first. I'm hoping that they'll have some nice voices for the Zexal cast, although I still can't imagine a lot of the regular voice actors who work at 4Kids fit with the characters in that series.

I finally saw the skipped episodes that have been uploaded on Hulu thus far. I kind of liked seeing Crow duel against Lazar again. Although, I find it quite creepy how his wife looks like him too. I did get a good laugh with both his and Jack's obsession with ramen though. Seeing them try to get the information about who contacted the three emperors through those duel puzzles was pretty fun too, especially Jack's reaction to defeating it.

It was pretty cool to see Yusei, Sherry and Bruno sneak in to that Moment building to get information. Though, I thought it was unintentionally funny how Yusei summoned Stardust Dragon in that concentration duel, or whatever the term was for it, when he was supposed to be undercover, especially when it was just the finger prints and scans that revealed his identity. Considering that Stardust is a one of a kind card and he's probably fairly well known for using it, if not for being the winner of the Fortune Cup, it's kind of weird that he'd use it in a situation like that. It wasn't the best move for them to go into that shuttle. I was still kind of confused about how that whole wormhole thing worked. Technology in the Yu-Gi-Oh! universe is just weird.

It was too bad that they lost Sherry. She seemed like a pretty cool character and I was kind of hoping to see some of her duels in the WRGP. Yusei's father appearing was kind of random, but that was obviously setting up future events with that island in the sky. The three emperors being able to alter time kind of made sense given some other events in earlier episodes, especially since only the Signers and Leo were able to remember events. Though, I kind of wonder why they didn't enter the WRGP from the start. They weren't doing much as the Directors and being in the tournament from the start might have made them look like/feel more like villains that posed a serious threat.

I've seen the Team Taiyou episodes uploaded so far and they're pretty darn awesome. These actually feel like characters I should be rooting for instead of hoping that Team 5D's will overcome them to the next round, even though they do need to face Team New World to save the future an all and I still like them as well. All three of them seem like likable characters, actually feel like good friends given what we've seen on-screen and in flashbacks and feel like sympathetic characters for being the underdogs struggling to make it in this tournament. I also kind of find them using Normal monsters for the most part to be refreshing after years of seeing characters using monsters with effects, even though when I first saw their deck I wondered how they could make it to final part of the tournament. Plus, their attitude about using weaker monsters kind of reminds me of Yusei's attitude in the earlier episodes of the series.

I thought that their strategy was kind of refreshing too, even though stall decks can be seriously annoying to deal with. I've had to face strategies like that in some of the Yu-Gi-Oh! video games and it can be kind of tricky to deal with. Still, it was nice to see something different after all of the other major duels in this tournament either over powered cards and/or ones with annoying effects. It's such a shame that they're obviously going to lose, but I'm still enjoying them and I can see why people saying that the Team Taiyou episodes are the most enjoyable ones in the WRGP arc.

Chaos Yoshi Mage

The Lonely Raven
Sorry that I haven't been very active in this thread lately, I have had a really crappy couple of weeks. I'll try to keep up more (Same with the ZeXal thread, I'll catch up next week).

I've seen all the episodes 4kids has released so far unless they uploaded either of the two skipped episodes online today. I've enjoyed the Team Taiyou stuff, I love that they're cards are so old they use the old Japanese formatting, that's a little touch that would have been lost in the dub. Although, I doubt that their apperently super common but uber hard to play boss monster rivals the God Cards as the show seems to say. Also, why is a powerful monster common just because it's nigh impossible to play? That hasn't stopped other difficult cards from being impossible to get.

And how come everyone in the crowd is surprised by Team Taiyou tactics, haven't they seen them duel before?

As for Team New World, surprised Luciano/Lester was just a suicide duel, and Placido/Primo looks a little weird now, did he get a hair cut? Oh, and looking back, I'm kind of dissapointed how predictable the duels have got. Every time Jack duels all he does is play Red Demon's Dragon/Red Dragon Archfiend and Red Nova Dragon. He used to have other monsters...

So new episode tomorrow at 11: 30 on The CW4kids on Toonzai (Ceck your local listings),

Episode 132 - Dawn of the Machines

Primo duels Jack. It's Meklord Emperor Skiel vs. Red Nova Dragon!

The description is extra bad this week since I wrote it, got the dub episode name off of Wikipedia, so I have no clue if it's legit. I got some incorrect names from there in the past.

Golfkid

I didn't get to see last week's episode, because this literally is what happened:

I sat down and turned to the TV to the CW. The original Yu-Gi-Oh! had just ended.

Announcer: It's man vs. machine!

(Zzzpt)

The screen goes black and "No Signal" appears on the screen.

Me: I guess the machines won.

So, yeah, I didn't get to see it and Toonzai/zaki didn't put the episode up.

Also, unless Light Lucario or another mod says not to, I really want to go on a rant after the last episode airs. Not a series overview one, but just on how everything has played out. I've held my anger in for so long!

Philmister978

Alvight, you vin
I didn't get to see last week's episode, because this literally is what happened:

I sat down and turned to the TV to the CW. The original Yu-Gi-Oh! had just ended.

Announcer: It's man vs. machine!

(Zzzpt)

The screen goes black and "No Signal" appears on the screen.

Me: I guess the machines won.

The channel did come back on afterwards right? If not, then something's wrong with your provider.

Golfkid

The channel did come back on afterwards right? If not, then something's wrong with your provider.

It didn't come on until after 1:30, but I know it came back on before 6 o'clock or so. I've had this problem before and I e-mailed my affiliate after the last time.

They said that it was for maintenance or something like that (don't remember exactly, since I don't have the e-mail). It was the only time they could do it safely (for the workers) and that they were sorry for the inconvenience. I sent them a e-mail back, thanking them for the quick response and I was sorry if I caused any trouble.

The thing that stinks is that I believe (at least today they do) have paid ads after the block. So, I'm confused as to why they couldn't wait a half hour? Losing a paid ad isn't going to wreck your station and neither is missing the start of a movie (they normally have one on Saturday afternoons).

I think it also means one or two things:

A. They just don't care about viewers like me.

B. No one watches 5D's in my area (but they must get something to make sure the end of the original gets done).

At least it's not as bad as another time, but it happened when they were 4Kids TV and aired on My Network TV.

As for today's episode (granted, I can't find last week's episode and I missed the first part of the preview) it was all right.

Primo suddenly changing plans and going from his to the original felt off. All Jacob did was say, "Stick to the plan." Primo folded so fast that you almost missed it and it felt rather weak with almost no black lash.

Yusei has to get the award for dumbest line in the episode. "They're machines?" :eek:

It took you 60 episodes to figure this out? Were you even watching your Primo duel and Lester's duel with the twins? Yeah Yusei, it's so normal for a human's legs to stick into their runner. Seriously, he's either got a short memory, is blind, or is terrible at noticing things.

I also thought that Primo calling Jack a "little worm" was weak too. Yusei's 5'8". Jack's about a head taller, making him about 6'8". Jack's no "little worm", unless they're referring to Jack (and the three leads for that matter) being long and lanky.

I also don't get how Primo kept making a move, when his life points were at 0? It's not like Akiza in round one, where she took damage for a effect.

Now, with Jacob having his super monster out, you can read it from a mile away that we're setting up for "Yusei in a corner! How will he escape?"

I changed my work schedule, so now I work Saturday mornings (If I knew Toonzaki wasn't going to put up new episodes, I would have left it). Although, next week's is pretty obvious what's going to happen or at least come close to happening.

Crow losing

Overall, good episode, but some moments that were eye roll worthy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Light Lucario

Staff member
Sorry that I haven't been very active in this thread lately, I have had a really crappy couple of weeks. I'll try to keep up more (Same with the ZeXal thread, I'll catch up next week).

I'm sorry that you've had a rough couple of weeks. The last few weeks haven't been kind to me either. I hope that things are getting better for you.

Chaos Yoshi Mage said:
I've seen all the episodes 4kids has released so far unless they uploaded either of the two skipped episodes online today. I've enjoyed the Team Taiyou stuff, I love that they're cards are so old they use the old Japanese formatting, that's a little touch that would have been lost in the dub. Although, I doubt that their apperently super common but uber hard to play boss monster rivals the God Cards as the show seems to say. Also, why is a powerful monster common just because it's nigh impossible to play? That hasn't stopped other difficult cards from being impossible to get.

And how come everyone in the crowd is surprised by Team Taiyou tactics, haven't they seen them duel before?

I finished watching the Team Taiyou duel last night and I thought it was awesome. I really liked that they were using mostly old cards and weak monsters. It felt so wonderfully refreshing after seeing all of the other teams use brand new monsters with annoying/broken effects. Though, I was kind of surprised that their strongest monster was said to rival the Egyptian God Cards. It's definitely strong, but I'm not sure if it was that strong. I thought it was kind of weird that everyone seemed to have this card and it was never summoned in an official duel. I could think of a couple of combos that could keep a level one monster on the field for that long for at least a standing duel. I also kept wondering why they got upset with each member of Team Taiyou using the same tactics. They already made in through the preliminaries, so they must have been familiar with their strategy by that point.

One other reason why I loved watching the Team Taiyou match was because the three characters seemed so likable. I kept on wondering why I should root for Team 5D's to defeat them. While they do have to face the three emperors to stop their plan, I just couldn't really hope for Team Taiyou's defeat. They were really likable, good friends with each other, completely examples of great underdog characters as they had to struggle just to get a deck and a Duel Runner, as well as deal with the crowd's insults and wanting to get out of their town just to test their potential felt like something I think a lot of people could relate to. Plus, it reminded me of how Yusei and his friends were back in the first few arcs of the series and even Yusei realized this. I knew that they were going to lose, so I was kind of sad for them. At least the crowd still cheered for them and even Team 5D's recognized their victory over them in a sense. So, that was kind of better than if the crowd cheered for Team 5D's after that match.

Chaos Yoshi Mage said:
As for Team New World, surprised Luciano/Lester was just a suicide duel, and Placido/Primo looks a little weird now, did he get a hair cut? Oh, and looking back, I'm kind of dissapointed how predictable the duels have got. Every time Jack duels all he does is play Red Demon's Dragon/Red Dragon Archfiend and Red Nova Dragon. He used to have other monsters...

I think Primo got a slightly different look after he was restored. I think it's mainly just some red marks around his face. I kind of liked seeing Jack's other monsters, especially Exploder Dragonwing, but I guess that they want to focus on his ace monster for these major duels.

Golfkid said:

I'm sorry that happened and that you missed the episode. Hopefully, it will be up on Hulu/Toonzaki later on in the week. Sometimes, it takes awhile for them to put up some episodes.

Golfkid said:
Also, unless Light Lucario or another mod says not to, I really want to go on a rant after the last episode airs. Not a series overview one, but just on how everything has played out. I've held my anger in for so long!

Well, I'm only a mod for the Cartoon Network and General Animation board, so this board would be out of my jurisdiction. Though, as long as your rant isn't flamebait and you explain your point of view in a calm/respectful way, then I don't think it would be much of a problem.

Golfkid said:
Yusei has to get the award for dumbest line in the episode. "They're machines?" :eek:

It took you 60 episodes to figure this out? Were you even watching your Primo duel and Lester's duel with the twins? Yeah Yusei, it's so normal for a human's legs to stick into their runner. Seriously, he's either got a short memory, is blind, or is terrible at noticing things.

Yeah, I didn't understand that reaction either. I could kind of understand Yusei not realize that Lester is a robot since I don't think he saw the full duel between Lester and the twins, but he knew Primo was a robot after their duel, so it would have been a safe bet to come to the conclusion that all three emperors are robots.

Golfkid said:
I also thought that Primo calling Jack a "little worm" was weak too. Yusei's 5'8". Jack's about a head taller, making him about 6'8". Jack's no "little worm", unless they're referring to Jack (and the three leads for that matter) being long and lanky.

I think Primo was calling Jack a worm because he looks down on humans in general. He had similar insults for Yusei during their duel and even in the World Championship 2011 game he calls the main character a worm or insect before and after dueling him/her.

Golfkid said:
I also don't get how Primo kept making a move, when his life points were at 0? It's not like Akiza in round one, where she took damage for a effect.

Yeah, I thought it was kind of weird that Primo could activate cards even after his life points went to zero. I just kind of wrote it off as being effects from the structure of the WRGP duels, although it still feels kind of cheap.

Anyway, I thought that the last two episodes were pretty good. It was nice to see everyone, even Carly, become aware of the Divine Temple. Though, I do think its a tad odd that anyone can see if it they're touching a Signer, but I just went with it. Jack did have a relatively easy time with Lester, which was kind of disappointing since I find him the most annoying out of the three and wanted him to have a more painful defeat, but it was still pretty cool to see Jack win.

Primo obviously isn't much of a team player, so it wasn't surprising that he was using his own strategy, especially when he has a grudge against Yusei after their last duel. Jack was able to hold his own and seeing Red Nova Dragon use its special ability looked really cool. I didn't expect that Primo would listen to Jacob that easily, especially when he's never been one to follow his orders completely, but I guess that they wanted to build up Jacob more as a threat with having Primo lose. It was still kind of nice to see Jack win, even if they were planned defeats.

I was kind of surprised with not only Yusei's reaction to Jacob merging with his Duel Runner, but the crowd seemed to have a relatively calm reaction. Thanks to events that were explained in the skipped episodes, Team New World is seen as one of the best Turbo Dueling teams in the world and thus each member is famous. So, I thought that seeing a famous duelist turn out to be a robot would cause more intense/dramatic reactions from the crowd. I kept on thinking of how glad I was that the real Meklord Emperor cards aren't as over powered as the ones in the show. I believe that they're summoned by having a monster destroyed by an effect, but they're not made of different parts, which does prevent some of the more unfair effects that I think they get in the anime. They definitely want to make Jacob look like a huge threat with his own Meklord Emperor. While it did take out Jack's Red Nova Dragon and was still able to absorb its attack points, I still don't really see Jacob as much of a villain. I think it's still because he and Lester haven't really done much to advance their goals for a long time, mostly just sitting back and watching the circut be activated, and neither one of them feel actually threatening or intimdating.

Still, it was an interesting episode to watch. The duel was pretty fun and Jack winning is always nice to see. Even though the outcome for next week's episode is pretty obvious, I hope that it will be fun to watch too.

Frontier

Staff member
I took Yusei's "They're Machines!" More as him just confirming to his team that all of Team New World were robots, not just Primo. He wasn't necesarilly surprised, just confirming his suspicions.

I like that all Primo cares about is getting back at Yusei, though I guess he's learned that going against orders doesn't necesarrilly end well as per his last duel with him. Primo also shows that if Team New World was going all out, it would be a much harder duel.

The announcer at least seemed surprised at what happened to Jacob, and I think all the other crowd shots seemed stunned at the very least.

I've always thought of Jacob and Lester as credible threats. On his own, Lester beat Leo and Luna together even when they summoned their aces. When Jacob first come out into the open he trounces Sherry in an actual fight and his Meklord Emperor, the "Ra" of the trio, now has more attack points than anything else ever summoned in 5D's. It's going to be a real battle to beat him and save the day, especially when Shooting Star Dragon doesn't have any attack adding effects like Red-Nova Dragon des.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts