4Kids Gets US Broadcasting Rights to "Kamen Rider Dragon Knight"

Undrave

Forever Burning Heart!
We probably won't have a chance to get ahold of a legal uncut R1 release of any Kamen Rider series with the original Japanese actors, footage, settings and music present, if Dragon Knight were to succeed on CW4Kids and it probably shouldn't, because kids usually prefer Nicktoons and kidcoms(e.g. Hannah Montana) on TV over some tokusatsu franchise America has forgotten about in a very long time ever since Saban's Masked Rider was pulled from the Fox Kids lineup due to Ishinomori's hatred of the Kamen Rider Black RX adaption:sweat: .

I love the fantasy world you live in Galactus...in it there's a market for R1 uncut Toku >.>

With subs only.

NinjaJack

We probably won't have a chance to get ahold of a legal uncut R1 release of any Kamen Rider series with the original Japanese actors, footage, settings and music present, if Dragon Knight were to succeed on CW4Kids and it probably shouldn't, because kids usually prefer Nicktoons and kidcoms(e.g. Hannah Montana) on TV over some tokusatsu franchise America has forgotten about in a very long time ever since Saban's Masked Rider was pulled from the Fox Kids lineup due to Ishinomori's hatred of the Kamen Rider Black RX adaption:sweat: .

HUH?

Masked Rider was cancelled because Kamen Rider ended. Ishimori hated it none the less but it was ended because of that.
There was the other issue of running out of footage and splicing other'
Rider shows together.

Further more Masked Rider moved to syndication

-America doesnt hate Toku sense Spider-Man does so well and is accepted in Japan as America's answer to a Toku hero.

-Power Rangers has had many good seasons but the airdates and finding the stations have not been grand. PRNS and PRDT when they were on ABC Family had some pretty good ratings.

-A toku show that's given good exposure will work if it's a good show. This is a good show it will work.

-4Kids can't touch it not because they won't be because the show has already been filmed.

-Remember Digital is coming to revamp television and guess what will probably be labeled one of the first new shows of the new era

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Lord Galactus said:
You're definitely correct in the fact that Nick gets excellent ratings with their original programming and doesn't need tokusatsu for that reason alone, but a tokusatsu series would help diversify their lineup some more and I don't exactly trust 4Kids with acquisitions:shrug: .

Perhaps, but it's a moot point, as representatives from Nickelodeon has said on more than 1 occasion that they have no interest in airing any tokusatsu series, or anime either, for that matter, and don't anyone mention Avatar, Kappa Mikey or Speed Racer: the Next Generation, because they aren't imported from Japan, and thus are not true anime. I imagine that a toku series would have to score monster sized ratings on another network before Nick would re-think it's stance on toku.

And for those who are still fretting about 4Kids' acquiring Kamen Rider and are worried over what 4Kids will do to the series, allow me to once more point out that 4Kids can't touch it; they only have the rights to air the series, not mess with it's content. At the most, you may see 1 or more badly edited promos for the series or spots depicting characters for KR interacting with other 4Kids characters, but that just comes with the territory. We got plenty of that on Kids WB also.

Harlan_Phoenix

I love the fantasy world you live in Galactus...in it there's a market for R1 uncut Toku >.>

With subs only.

There is a small underground market for it, as my Ultraman, Iron King, and Kamen Rider The First R1 DVDs attest to.

But I seriously doubt Dragon Knight would affect the current toku market in any way, shape, or form, especially negative.

NinjaJack

Hey and I should also note Dragon Knight is not the only series in the works.

There are at least three more on being looked at whose American scriptlets have been out to the hearty seeker for a short time now.

-Eraxion
-Gransazers
-Ryukendo

All three from three diffrent companies outside of toku and one is Korean.
And I would not be shocked to see them pull out Tomica Rescue Force sometime soon too.

Asia is experincing a new era in Toku populariy, Even India is going nuts over just the Power Ranger stuff. So stay tuned this is about to get interesting.

All your networks are belong to...nah

Undrave

Forever Burning Heart!
Ultraman got nostalgia appeal, Kamen Rider the First and Zebraman are movies. Kamen Rider Ryuki? I don't think it would work.

Hey and I should also note Dragon Knight is not the only series in the works.

There are at least three more on being looked at whose American scriptlets have been out to the hearty seeker for a short time now.

-Eraxion
-Gransazers
-Ryukendo

And I would not be shocked to see them pull out Tomica Rescue Force sometime soon too.

Asia is experincing a new era in Toku populariy, Even India is going nuts over just the Power Ranger stuff. So stay tuned this is about to get interesting.

All your networks are belong to...nah

I'd actually expect other country to jump in... not everything should be on the shoulders of US producers.

Pomegranate

Perhaps, but it's a moot point, as representatives from Nickelodeon has said on more than 1 occasion that they have no interest in airing any tokusatsu series, or anime either, for that matter, and don't anyone mention Avatar, Kappa Mikey or Speed Racer: the Next Generation, because they aren't imported from Japan, and thus are not true anime. I imagine that a toku series would have to score monster sized ratings on another network before Nick would re-think it's stance on toku.

See! Their refusal to diversify their lineup is one of the main reasons why I hate Nick so much:sad: ; however, they can always surprise and impress me with more acquisitions on their spinoff networks.

And for those who are still fretting about 4Kids' acquiring Kamen Rider and are worried over what 4Kids will do to the series, allow me to once more point out that 4Kids can't touch it; they only have the rights to air the series, not mess with it's content. At the most, you may see 1 or more badly edited promos for the series or spots depicting characters for KR interacting with other 4Kids characters, but that just comes with the territory. We got plenty of that on Kids WB also.

The 20th anniversary edit of E.T. and the Miramax/Weinstein edits of several Asian films are pretty good examples of how live-action productions can be edited.:yawn:

Masked Rider was cancelled because Kamen Rider ended. Ishimori hated it none the less but it was ended because of that.
There was the other issue of running out of footage and splicing other'
Rider shows together.

You mean the Kamen Rider TV series was on hiatus during the 90s, right?:sweat:

Further more Masked Rider moved to syndication

Man, I forgot hearing about that:eek: . Before I ever heard about its syndicated run, I thought the creator of KR wanted to permanently ban Masked Rider from ever being shown to the public again.

bigddan11

Justice must be served!
Man, I forgot hearing about that:eek: . Before I ever heard about its syndicated run, I thought the creator of KR wanted to permanently ban Masked Rider from ever being shown to the public again.
Before it moved to syndication, Masked Rider actually moved to UPN Kids (from Fox Kids), so most locations actually could have seen it on three different networks within a three year span.

All I can say is while people will complain, the only thing 4Kids could ask for in terms of edits are time constraints. I believe the Wang Brothers have already made it where most of the items that could be questioned have been addressed, and 4Kids wouldn't have acquired the series to air if they thought it would have t have additional edits since they have no control over it.

Racattack!Force

私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !
The 20th anniversary edit of E.T. and the Miramax/Weinstein edits of several Asian films are pretty good examples of how live-action productions can be edited.:yawn:

Those were edits by the directors, not by the broadcasters. If Kamen Rider is edited, it would be by Andess, not 4Kids.

Pomegranate

What's that gotta do with 4Kids?!?

I was just pointing out some examples of how finished live-action productions can receive additional edits and the same thing could happen to KRDK.

Before it moved to syndication, Masked Rider actually moved to UPN Kids (from Fox Kids), so most locations actually could have seen it on three different networks within a three year span.

Funny, I don't ever recall seeing Masked Rider on UPN Kids at all.:sweat:

All I can say is while people will complain, the only thing 4Kids could ask for in terms of edits are time constraints. I believe the Wang Brothers have already made it where most of the items that could be questioned have been addressed, and 4Kids wouldn't have acquired the series to air if they thought it would have t have additional edits since they have no control over it.

Yes, I can understand that Adness are suppossed to have lots of love for Kamen Rider, but they're no Ghibli when it comes to defending their properties from edits, so 4Kids would probably be allowed to make whatever changes they desire on CW4Kids, since they own the SatAM block, and I think there's just too much optimism around here nowadays pertaining to what 4Kids does with their acquired properties, esp. anime and tokusatsu:shrug: .

Those were edits by the directors, not by the broadcasters.

Miramax isn't a very good example of a director, because those foreign films they've edited were merely acquisitions instead of original productions.

If Kamen Rider is edited, it would be by Andess, not 4Kids.

Let's just wait until we hear more news on this matter, shall we?

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well, I did see the trailer and it looks like people would like it, especially if they like Power Rangers. It did seem pretty interesting to me. I did like the graphics for the dragons and the motorcycles. I just may watch it for the heck of it this fall. It looks like it could be one of those shows where its just fun to watch when its on and all.

D Dubbs said:
4Kids only has the broadcast rights, not the production rights. There's a big difference between the two.

How many times does that need to be said in this thread?

Apparently a lot since some people will still not listen to reason when their fear of 4Kids touching anything takes over. Just because 4Kids has the broadcasting rights doesn't mean that they can edit the series. They're only able to air it, but not touch it. I'm still kind of surprised that this would have to be said so often, but that's just how some discussions go.

Rolling Cloud

...too early....
tries to get back to a topic

-Eraxion
-Gransazers
-Ryukendo

I hope this does well, 'cause I'd hate to see those go to waste.

Goodfellow

Does it really matter where it's shown as long as toku fans will get to see it? Kamen Rider might actually do better on CW4Kids than it would have on Cartoon Network, as not every household has cable and not a lot of toku fans watch Cartoon Network. I'm personally glad to hear this news; that's 1 less live action show on CARTOON Network. Now CN can concentrate more on animated programming.

Uh yeah. If 4Kids is showing it it means it must be really lackluster in the violence department and is a pretty poor show. I wasn't expecting much from it before, but now that it is going to be on 4Kids, I do not know if I am even going to watch it.

Good, it should NOT succeed because we will still NOT get the originals on DVD. If it did succeed, they would only release it on DVD in its english crap form, and say people don't want the Jp version. If it fails, they will still say people don't want the Jp version.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
Uh yeah. If 4Kids is showing it it means it must be really lackluster in the violence department and is a pretty poor show. I wasn't expecting much from it before, but now that it is going to be on 4Kids, I do not know if I am even going to watch it.

Just because 4Kids picked it up doesn't mean there'll be a lack of violence. 4Kids TV has shown some pretty nasty things in the past, like characters dying on screen in TMNT, or even in One Piece where Shanks loses his arm or when Buggy stabs Zolo in the back (sure, the blood was edited out, but the general idea was still there). Shaman King had some pretty intense scenes, too.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
Goodfellow said:
If 4Kids is showing it it means it must be really lackluster in the violence department and is a pretty poor show. I wasn't expecting much from it before, but now that it is going to be on 4Kids, I do not know if I am even going to watch it.

Let's not pre-judge the show before we've even seen it, m'kay? Keep in mind that this is going to be the same version of Kamen Rider that was previously going to be on Cartoon Network. It's silly to think that the same show which was celebrated to be great and groundbreaking on CN is now suddenly going to be piss-poor just because it'll now be on 4Kids.

Besides, as has been reported here already, 4Kids is only airing the show; they have no hand in its' production. The production of Kamen Rider (writing, dubbing, editing, etc.) is already done. 4Kids can't and aren't going to make the show any better or worse than it was when it looked like it was going to call CN home.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Goodfellow said:

OK, seriously, how many times does it need to be said that 4Kids only has the broadcasting rights to Kamen Rider, not the production rights? Meaning that 4Kids won't be handling the editing or the dubbing for the series. Adness will be editing the series, not 4Kids. 4Kids just be airing the series. Nothing more.

I'm sorry, but it amazes me how many people still either don't read that fact or choose to ignore it, despite the fact that it's been stated at least 5 times on this thread so far.

I'm also amazed by how some people actually think that Kamen Rider would have been a better fit for CARTOON Network, despite the fact that it's not a cartoon and would stick out on CN's schedule like a sore thumb. Now the same people who were in love with the idea of a live action tokusatsu series airing on a cable channel that's 90% animation now aren't even going to bother with it because it will be airing on 4KidsTV, which is not cable/satellite and would probably reach a wider audience than it would have on CN, even though it's the same version of Kamen Rider that was going to air on CN and that 4Kids isn't handling the dub at all. It's kind of funny, actually. It's the same show, just on a different network, so what's the big deal?

You naysayers are entitled to your negativity, but those toku fans who wanted to see Kamen Rider in the 1st place should at least wait until they've seen it before passing judgment on it. Most of you have already decided that this dub will be terrible before you've even seen it just because 4Kids will be getting it now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pomegranate

Good, it should NOT succeed because we will still NOT get the originals on DVD. If it did succeed, they would only release it on DVD in its english crap form, and say people don't want the Jp version. If it fails, they will still say people don't want the Jp version.

That's only because unfortunately, the companies that holds the license or copyrights to these shows believe uncut releases of foreign programming won't sell very well:shrug: ; however, if other companies like FUNi gets the license, then it'll more likely to get an uncut release than if it were to go to the likes of 4Kids or Disney.

You naysayers are entitled to your negativity, but those toku fans who wanted to see Kamen Rider in the 1st place should at least wait until they've seen it before passing judgment on it. Most of you have already decided that this dub will be terrible before you've even seen it just because 4Kids will be getting it now.

Actually, there isn't that much ill-will towards 4Kids around here nowadays as much as there used to be, but I think there's just too much optimism concerning 4Kids' business practices nowadays.

I'm also amazed by how some people actually think that Kamen Rider would have been a better fit for CARTOON Network, despite the fact that it's not a cartoon and would stick out on CN's schedule like a sore thumb. Now the same people who were in love with the idea of a live action tokusatsu series airing on a cable channel that's 90% animation now aren't even going to bother with it because it will be airing on 4KidsTV, which is not cable/satellite and would probably reach a wider audience than it would have on CN, even though it's the same version of Kamen Rider that was going to air on CN and that 4Kids isn't handling the dub at all. It's kind of funny, actually. It's the same show, just on a different network, so what's the big deal?

I think it has something to do with the fact that CN is usually far more lax with the content of their programming than 4Kids is.

Burgundy Ranger

Follower of Power Rangers, especially TV listings
4Kids can't and aren't going to make the show any better or worse than it was when it looked like it was going to call CN home.
When you look at this deal from both vantage points, you can come away with no opinion other than it's going to get on the air just as it sits right now "in the can."

1) If you're Adness, you want to make a big impression with your first foray -- to establish the work of your company and set yourselves up for future business with any number of programmers. If 4Kids tells you "we like the show, but we're gonna do X, Y and Z to it before it gets on the air," then you're walking away from the table.

2) If you're 4Kids, you can't jeopardize bad word of mouth spreading through all the production companies just as you embark on a big deal to program the CW's morning block. You need partners to fill 10 time slots.

Shiloh Otter

Anxiety in the house
Miramax isn't a very good example of a director, because those foreign films they've edited were merely acquisitions instead of original productions.
Well, seeing as how Miramax is a distributor that has no control over those edits whatsoever, and that Spielberg directed E.T., well...

Spotlight

Staff online

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm

Featured Posts