4Kids Gets US Broadcasting Rights to "Kamen Rider Dragon Knight"

Pomegranate

I don't know Lord Galactus, 4Kids seems to be trying pretty hard with their current original properties. The new TMNT season will have a darker feel to it, which is what fans have requested, and now they're upping the quality of the Chaotic cartoon, by doing it in traditional 2D animation instead of Flash. And for the record, Viva Pinata is greatly underrated. Sure, 4Kids may not have that many original series compared to their acquisitions, but they're definitely putting some effort into them.

I do like they're trying hard with their TMNT license, as it was the only decent show of theirs I've enjoyed so far. I did hear that the new upcoming Chaotic eps. will be done in 2D animation, but that doesn't mean much if the quality feels just exactly the same as the Flash-animated series. I just want them to start experimenting with genuinely original concepts for a change.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
I don't know Lord Galactus, 4Kids seems to be trying pretty hard with their current original properties. The new TMNT season will have a darker feel to it, which is what fans have requested, and now they're upping the quality of the Chaotic cartoon, by doing it in traditional 2D animation instead of Flash. And for the record, Viva Pinata is greatly underrated. Sure, 4Kids may not have that many original series compared to their acquisitions, but they're definitely putting some effort into them.

Exactly. They may not have a lot of original programming, but at least they're trying.

Also, like Harlan Phoenix said, its not that easy making a Cartoonstitute like CN. 4Kids is a small company compared to CN, which is owned by Time Warner. They have more resources at their disposal, so that's why CN can make original series often(also, having your own animation studio helps too).

Keep in mind CN and Nickelodeon didn't start off with original programming when they first started. It took years for them to get started. Their lineup was made up of reruns and acquisitions. You know what was the top Nick show in the 80's? You Can't Do That On Television. A Canadian show, a.k.a. an acquisition.

Draft

'dem fightin' words you know that??

Kamen Rider is older than you are! Show some respect to your elder will ya?

Ya, not my best post. I apologize. I remember watchin the Fox version and hating it (Yes, I know it's not the same bla bla bla). But the concept no longer works in the U.S. (I know it works in Japan garfield15), as the other similar shows to PR died out, and PR had lost a lot of it's audience before it went to Jetix/Toon Disney and is no longer the marketing power it once was (I should know, as I was a slave to their advertising, buying everything they put on the market)

KRnut82

The Knight Rider nut.
Hmmm. Not happy it went to 4k!ds. Not happy at about that at all.

On the bright side since Adness finished production on Kamen Rider Dragon Knight already there isn't much 4k!ds can do to it other than make possible edits for time and/or content.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Children's/family broadcasters could just conjure up some original programming of their own instead, ya know:yawn: !

I agree that networks shouldn't rely on foreign programming, but that doesn't mean they need to do away with it entirely. Besides, other countries air our shows, so why don't you badmouth them?

Sketch

not like those other old guys

HAH!

Well I'm sure glad this isn't actually airing on CN. Yet anyway.

I look forward to watching it this Fall on TheCW4kids. It seems like it could knock Power Rangers out of the park. Especially since PR is rather hard to view without Toon Disney. The toys should sell very well.

I don't expect 4kids will edit it from the version they are sent. I mean it's already an adaptation and after Ultraman Tiga I'd figure they would understand that editing live-aciton productions doesn't work so well for them.

Even so, I am a bit concerned that they might edit it further. We'll just have to wait and see.

Old Guy

4Kids? God, no! I'd rather it air on either Jetix, Disney Channel, ABC Kids or even Nickelodeon.

Why? I have seen a few clips online and the show is different from Disney's Power Rangers. Based on the clips I've seen it seems like Kamen Rider is trying to be a bit "darker" than Power Rangers. So...I don't know if Disney would be interested in that since they usually prefer light-hearted stuff.

Also, consider this: Power Rangers exploded on Fox Kids, not on cable.

You know what? You're right. Power Rangers worked for Fox Kids so why not the same with Kamen Rider and 4Kids?

That was 1993. TV was different back then. People say that everyone doesn't have cable, which is true, but network kids line-ups aren't what they used to be. I wouldn't be surprised if Kamen Rider is ignored by most of its intended audience.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Don't be so sure. Skunk Fu! and Johnny Test were on the CWKids and now appear on Cartoon Network so don't be surprised to see it next year on CN.

That don't mean jack squat. Those shows went to CN when Kids' WB! was still around. The CW4Kids had nothing to do with putting those shows on the network.

Undrave

Forever Burning Heart!
Ya, not my best post. I apologize. I remember watchin the Fox version and hating it (Yes, I know it's not the same bla bla bla). But the concept no longer works in the U.S. (I know it works in Japan garfield15), as the other similar shows to PR died out, and PR had lost a lot of it's audience before it went to Jetix/Toon Disney and is no longer the marketing power it once was (I should know, as I was a slave to their advertising, buying everything they put on the market)

All those other shows, i.e. Beetleborg and VR Troopers were also by Saban.

Who halted production when they ran out of Japanese footage.

Only Masked Rider was a true failiure. Of EPIC proportion.

And Power Rangers only lost its top boys toy property spot last year to Transformers, movie helping, for the FIRST TIME since it got to the top. You, sir, greatly underestimate the allure of brightly colored suit and latex monsters.

Pomegranate

I agree that networks shouldn't rely on foreign programming, but that doesn't mean they need to do away with it entirely. Besides, other countries air our shows, so why don't you badmouth them?

It's probably because those channels treat them far better than 4Kids ever did with their acquisitions:yawn: .

Why? I have seen a few clips online and the show is different from Disney's Power Rangers. Based on the clips I've seen it seems like Kamen Rider is trying to be a bit "darker" than Power Rangers. So...I don't know if Disney would be interested in that since they usually prefer light-hearted stuff.

I never implied I wanted KRDK to show up on a Disney-owned network. I was just implying that any network is far better than 4Kids. Anyways, I don't think Disney actually minds showing or distributing any programming with much edgier or darker content(e.g. BTAS, Digimon Data Squad and Harry Potter movies):sweat: .

Burgundy Ranger

Follower of Power Rangers, especially TV listings
What we also need to notice is that, outside of Saban (and the PR continuation to Disney), this the just the second company to take on the adaptation of a toku-esque property for an English-speaking audience. The only other attempt was DiC (Gridman - to - Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad).

Adness, even though being new in the game, has a fresh approach to the heretofore PR-exclusive genre. 4Kids would be wise to run with it as is. I think this comment:

Sketch said:
It seems like it could knock Power Rangers out of the park. Especially since PR is rather hard to view without Toon Disney.
is spot on in identifying PR as the only target left in the non-E/I world of kids Saturday broadcast TV. As long as ABC puts it in the "go ahead, we don't mind if you pre-empt it" time slots of 12:00 and 12:30, it can't be that much of a player.

So, maybe they're not going straight up against PR as much as they might be appealing to the fans who are:

1) frustrated because they can't see PR on ABC simply because of where they live (like me!)

2) fed up with the constant pre-emptions and inconsistent airing of 'new' episodes

3) fed up with the look/feel/direction PR has taken in the past few years

in order to draw those fans to CW in order to go up against ABC's mighty ratings tandem of Hannah & Suite Life.

I can see CW coming up with a two-hour action block of Spidey / TMNT / YuGiOh / KRDK to run from, say, 9:30 to 11:30 to go up against the core of ABC's lineup.

But I definitely see a scenario in which KRDK draws a higher number at 10:30 than PR does at 12:00 or 12:30.

Harlan_Phoenix

I never implied I wanted KRDK to show up on a Disney-owned network. I was just implying that any network is far better than 4Kids. Anyways, I don't think Disney actually minds showing or distributing any programming with much edgier or darker content(e.g. BTAS, Digimon Data Squad and Harry Potter movies):sweat: .

There are many, many, many worse places a show could go than a Saturday morning 4Kids block.

Harlan_Phoenix

Any examples of them?:shrug:

It could've gone to Cartoon Network and further pushed it away from actually having animation. I don't know what other channels were shopped besides CN, but I'm wondering about them, honestly.

CW4Kids MAY be owned by 4Kids, but it's still probably the best venue for the show's success, especially since it probably won't get any content edits.

Pomegranate

It could've gone to Cartoon Network and further pushed it away from actually having animation. I don't know what other channels were shopped besides CN, but I'm wondering about them, honestly.

CW4Kids MAY be owned by 4Kids, but it's still probably the best venue for the show's success, especially since it probably won't get any content edits.

I'd rather it go to Nickelodeon instead, as most people in the USA do have that channel, it's a children's network and they're probably more lenient with their shows' content compared to 4Kids; however, it'd probably be underpromoted and also get permanently axed from the lineup completely for horrid ratings, but why do I care if this thing bombs? I hate all localizations of foreign programming:shrug: .

Last edited by a moderator:

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
I'd rather it go to Nickelodeon instead, as most people in the USA do have the channel, it's a children's network and they're probably more lenient with their shows' content compared to 4Kids; however, it'd probably be underpromoted and also get permanently axed from the lineup completely for horrid ratings, but why do I care if this thing bombs? I hate all localizations of foreign programming:shrug: .

Nick has no use for the show. They don't need it, they're doing fine as it is. Also since its a third-party show, Nick is bad with those.

Also, why do you continue to post in this thread if you hate all localizations of foreign programming? I guess you have the same attitude for American shows being dubbed in other countries?

NinjaJack

Good show

This gets on CTN before fall next year as a summer series I will bet.

And this will rock your socks naysayers. Just you wait:cool:

Pomegranate

Nick has no use for the show. They don't need it, they're doing fine as it is. Also since its a third-party show, Nick is bad with those.

I can agree with that!

Also, why do you continue to post in this thread if you hate all localizations of foreign programming? I guess you have the same attitude for American shows being dubbed in other countries?

I was mainly expressing my concern as to what 4Kids might do with a show of the Kamen Rider franchise, as they've already purchased the airing rights to one of those shows. Whatever 4Kids does with Ryuki, as Dragon Knight, could decide the fate of tokusatsu in the USA and I've seen what they've done to Ultraman Tiga and their animated foreign acquisitions.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
I can agree with that!

I was mainly expressing my concern as to what 4Kids might do with a show of the Kamen Rider franchise, as they've already purchased the airing rights to one of those shows. Whatever 4Kids does with Ryuki, as Dragon Knight, could decide the fate of tokusatsu in the USA and I've seen what they've done to Ultraman Tiga and their animated foreign acquisitions.

But Ultraman Tiga was one of the few 4Kids shows that was released on DVD with the original Japanese version. So, that's not a good example.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts