4Kids Gets US Broadcasting Rights to "Kamen Rider Dragon Knight"

Burgundy Ranger

Follower of Power Rangers, especially TV listings
This move by 4Kids is strictly a distribution deal -- NOT a production deal. They have no direct influence on the content of the show.

They've got 10 slots of a CW block to fill and 8 more on Fox. They can't fill all those slots with in-house product without 80% of it being rehashes of Kirby, Sonic, orginial TMNT, etc. (But if that's what you pine for, be happy. The 4Kids TV lineup on Fox goes all repeats as of June 21, with NEW eps of YGO GX going over to CW4Kids)

They HAVE to go shopping at the Kids Shows 'R Us store and look for content from outside providers to fill these time slots. From what I can tell, they have eight shows (out of 10) lined up for the Fall CW schedule (thanks, dan11). Of those eight, four (Smeshariki, Spectacular Spider-Man, KRDK and Huntik) come from outside providers.

bigddan11

Justice must be served!
This move by 4Kids is strictly a distribution deal -- NOT a production deal. They have no direct influence on the content of the show.

They've got 10 slots of a CW block to fill and 8 more on Fox. They can't fill all those slots with in-house product without 80% of it being rehashes of Kirby, Sonic, orginial TMNT, etc. (But if that's what you pine for, be happy. The 4Kids TV lineup on Fox goes all repeats as of June 21, with NEW eps of YGO GX going over to CW4Kids)

They HAVE to go shopping at the Kids Shows 'R Us store and look for content from outside providers to fill these time slots. From what I can tell, they have eight shows (out of 10) lined up for the Fall CW schedule (thanks, dan11). Of those eight, four (Smeshariki, Spectacular Spider-Man, KRDK and Huntik) come from outside providers.
Actually there isn't a current dub for Smeshariki. It is a series that is going outside of Russia for the first time. That means 4Kids is probably dubbing it, so only 3 would be from outside sources on CW4Kids.

Pomegranate

Ahem, 20th anniversary E.T. cut, anyone:shrug: ?

Even w/o acquisitions, they wouldn't have any problem filling up those slots what so ever, if they started to develop more genuinely original concepts from the beginning, now would they?

Yes. That's what it is. This is not necessarily bad as long as it becomes its own story, and seeing as how the show uses more and more homegrown footage as it goes on, that's what it seems like it will be.

I detest localizations of foreign programming, because I think it's just another cheap, underhanded attempt at earning some quick cash.

Your logic is faulty: There was no market for it before fans discovered it online, and when they discovered it online they nabbed it for free, thus eliminating the market for it.

Okay:rolleyes: ! I can agree that there wasn't any market for official uncut releases of foreign programming before their online discovery by fans in the very past, but there's just no excuse for localizations in this very day and age.

No, you relax. I'm getting sick and tired of those exclamation points after every single sentence. I get the impression you're shouting at me constantly, and it's extremely rude. Stop it.

I don't see anything wrong with exclamation points after certain sentences and I wasn't shouting at ya. Look, if I were shouting at you, then I would've capitalized all the letters in those sentences of mine or just place an angry smilie after 'em, but you were picking fights with me just for my opinions, so maybe you do deserve to be shouted at.

Physically. But we have to see the show to claim if it is from a narrative perspective. Something you CAN'T vouch for.

I won't vouch for it, because it's just yet another localization of another foreign program:yawn: .

Harlan_Phoenix

Ahem, 20th anniversary E.T. cut, anyone:shrug: ?

Director's decision, right? Nothing corporate about that.

I detest localizations of foreign programming, because I think it's just another cheap, underhanded attempt at earning some quick cash.

"I'm not actually going to address your point, I'm just going to restate mine without backing up what I say!"

Okay:rolleyes: ! I can agree that there wasn't any market for official uncut releases of foreign programming before their online discovery by fans in the very past, but there's just no excuse for localizations in this very day and age.

"I agree with your point, but I'm still right!"

I don't see anything wrong with exclamation points after certain sentences and I wasn't shouting at ya. Look, if I were shouting at you, then I would've capitalized all the letters in those sentences of mine or just place an angry smilie after 'em, but you were picking fights with me just for my opinions, so maybe you do deserve to be shouted at.

I wasn't picking a fight. I was discussing. That's what you do on discussion forums. You discuss.

And they aren't certain sentences, they're 90% of them. But that's an issue for another time.

I won't vouch for it, because it's just yet another localization of another foreign program:yawn: .

You're vouching for it being a derivative of a show when you've never even seen it, especially when inside sources state the contrary.

Undrave

Forever Burning Heart!
Harlan, it would be easier if you were to just ignore LG like I do :p

In any case if they intent to air Smeshariki in the fall they must already be dubbing it.

I wonder when was the last time a RUSSIAN show got liscenced.

Racattack!Force

私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !
This is great. Since not only will it fare better on 4Kids, it will also...wait, did I just skip over an argument? :confused:

Pomegranate

Director's decision, right? Nothing corporate about that.

I was stating that fact as an implication of what 4Kids might do with KRDK content-wise.

You're vouching for it being a derivative of a show when you've never even seen it, especially when inside sources state the contrary.

It's still essentially a remake of a foreign program, nonetheless.

Burgundy Ranger

Follower of Power Rangers, especially TV listings
I stand corrected. Three out of eight.

I enjoy watching people take the challenge of localization. Not too many pull it off well, I'll give you that.

Without localization, every entity (if it were to be simply dubbed according to the original dialogue) that would be put on U.S. Saturday morning TV is a lead-pipe lock to fail. American kids won't watch when the mouths don't match the sounds.

Pomegranate

I stand corrected. Three out of eight.

I enjoy watching people take the challenge of localization. Not too many pull it off well, I'll give you that.

Without localization, every entity (if it were to be simply dubbed according to the original dialogue) that would be put on U.S. Saturday morning TV is a lead-pipe lock to fail. American kids won't watch when the mouths don't match the sounds.

Children's/family broadcasters could just conjure up some original programming of their own instead, ya know:yawn: !

Harlan_Phoenix

I was stating that fact as an implication of what 4Kids might do with KRDK content-wise.

A director and a company with broadcasting rights are two totally different types of entities. The comparison doesn't fly.

It's still essentially a remake of a foreign program, nonetheless.

Right, but we still don't know whether or not it's different enough from the source material to warrant the title of "Dragon Knight" rather than "Ryuki." And considering the usage of original footage increasing over time...differentiation seems a tad likely.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
Children's/family broadcasters could just conjure up some original programming of their own instead, ya know:yawn: !

Yes, but I'd rather watch a culturally diverse lineup. 4Kids will be bringing series from all over the world...Canada, Japan, Russia, Italy...as well as their original series and other domestic series. I think it's a pretty cool blend of shows and seems a lot more diverse than what Kids' WB has done in recent years.

Besides, as Mugen pointed out, 4Kids couldn't handle making that many original series. They're a company of 250 people, so of course they'll have to resort to licensing some shows.

Movie06

Yes, but I'd rather watch a culturally diverse lineup. 4Kids will be bringing series from all over the world...Canada, Japan, Russia, Italy...as well as their original series and other domestic series. I think it's a pretty cool blend of shows and seems a lot more diverse than what Kids' WB has done in recent years.

Same here. At least that's one fo the only good things 4Kids is doing, making their lineups culturally diverse.

Pomegranate

I'd like to watch a culturally diverse lineup as well, which is why I'd prefer the shows to stay as faithful as possible to their respective original versions, meaning no episode skips/mergers, no added corny dialog or any of that crap what so ever, but the thing is, 4Kids is guilty of overlocalizing most of their foreign acquisitions:( .

Besides, as Mugen pointed out, 4Kids couldn't handle making that many original series. They're a company of 250 people, so of course they'll have to resort to licensing some shows.

I can see that genuinely original intellectual properties are far more expensive than acquisitions, but if companies just experiment with them and put their hearts and souls into them, then they might just be successful with them. Even a mix of acquisitions and original IPs is far more preferable than a mostly or all-acquisitions lineup, but 4Kids just depends too much on acquisitions as it is:shrug: .

A director and a company with broadcasting rights are two totally different types of entities. The comparison doesn't fly.

4Kids has 2 venues to broadcast their own shows on, so they can decide what sorts of content can be shown on those venues they own, ya know.

Racattack!Force

私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !
I can see that genuinely original intellectual properties are far more expensive than acquisitions, but if companies just experiment with them and put their hearts and souls into them, then they might just be successful with them. Even a mix of acquisitions and original IPs is far more preferable than a mostly or all-acquisitions lineup, but 4Kids just depends too much on acquisitions as it is:shrug:
Um, you can't really make many original series if you have under 300 people. :sweat:

Pomegranate

Um, you can't really make many original series if you have under 300 people. :sweat:

Then, maybe 4Kids should hire more talented minds to craft some original programming, kinda like what CN is doing now with the Cartoonstitute. Besides, isn't that how many big media entities started up business in the olden days:sweat: ?

Racattack!Force

私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !
Then, maybe 4Kids should hire more talented minds to craft some original programming, kinda like what CN is doing now with the Cartoonstitute. Besides, isn't that how many big media entities started up business in the olden days:sweat: ?

Yes, and that's still how any business gets bigger. And with the Cartoonstitute, sure, I guess a few people had to be hired so they got successfully do all that work, but a few of shorts themselves are made by former CN creators and more. :shrug:

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
I don't know Lord Galactus, 4Kids seems to be trying pretty hard with their current original properties. The new TMNT season will have a darker feel to it, which is what fans have requested, and now they're upping the quality of the Chaotic cartoon, by doing it in traditional 2D animation instead of Flash. And for the record, Viva Pinata is greatly underrated. Sure, 4Kids may not have that many original series compared to their acquisitions, but they're definitely putting some effort into them.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.
Somebody please give me a show that I won't ever regret watching.
Samurai Champloo, $5 on Apple TV. I know the series is 20 years old which is, like, 100 years in anime world, but definitely worth the buy!
I now genuinely want to see Steve Blum voice Kermit in something official. He is spot on.

Featured Posts