4Kids Gets US Broadcasting Rights to "Kamen Rider Dragon Knight"

Pomegranate

But Ultraman Tiga was one of the few 4Kids shows that was released on DVD with the original Japanese version. So, that's not a good example.

Good point! I forgot about the uncut Ultraman Tiga releases from 4Kids and I'll give 'em credit for that, but they don't treat most of their acquisitions with that much respect or dignity:shrug: .

Nightwing

WF Old Man
As a general reminder, please be civil to the thread topic and your fellow posters. Topics and opinions change. That never should.

I'm not technically a Toku dude but, as a fan of good and inspirational stories about heroes, I don't see how this is bad news just yet. I think a comfortable place can be made on the CW4Kids Saturday Morning. In fact, this might be a better place than CN. Cartoon Network has too much going on. A show like this should be on a nice basic channel and spot, and if it delivers as well as the impression I get from what I've seen and read, then this will be a great area for it to explode like The Power Rangers did.

Further, I don't buy the argument that toku stuff doesn't fly in America. It's just relatively new to the American Television and Viewer scope. There are no dillusions about how campy and corny Power Rangers was, but it inspired an entire generation (or two), and these days most of its fans are said people.

If nothing else you could simply ask me to watch it and, since I'm head first into The Spectacular Spider-man anyway, I'll gladly stop by and check it out.

If the show is good enough, I think it'll be able to leap off of a sinking ship, if that's what CW4Kids is to the naysayers of this topic, and land on its feet.

It should also be noted that licensing, broadcasting, and suit stuff is exceedingly complicated, so gut decisions, especially from the fan perspective, can't always be used as quickly and directly as they come.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Lord Galactus said:
I'd rather it go to Nickelodeon instead, as most people in the USA do have the channel, it's a children's network and they're probably more lenient with their shows' content compared to 4Kids; however, it'd probably be underpromoted and also get permanently axed from the lineup completely for horrid ratings, but why do I care if this thing bombs? I hate all localizations of foreign programming:shrug: .

To reiterate what I said earlier, Nick doesn't want toku. They don't need toku. They're doing just fine without toku. They'd have no use for Kamen Rider. It's better that KR air on a channel that would actually make use of the show.

Burgundy Ranger

Follower of Power Rangers, especially TV listings
I was mainly expressing my concern as to what 4Kids might do with a show of the Kamen Rider franchise
From all inclinations (and I know the actual process is now a bit more advanced than this), they're going to do nothing more than put the tape in the machine and hit 'PLAY' .

Movie06

I'm not technically a Toku dude but, as a fan of good and inspirational stories about heroes, I don't see how this is bad news just yet. I think a comfortable place can be made on the CW4Kids Saturday Morning. In fact, this might be a better place than CN. Cartoon Network has too much going on. A show like this should be on a nice basic channel and spot, and if it delivers as well as the impression I get from what I've seen and read, then this will be a great area for it to explode like The Power Rangers did.

You do have a good point. You know what? Maybe it's for the best that Kamen Rider went to The CW. I mean, CN has too much going on anyway. But if anyone wants to know, the thing is the reason why I was hoping CN would get Kamen Rider is because I was hoping that CN would make a better show than Out of Jimmy's Head.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
You do have a good point. You know what? Maybe it's for the best that Kamen Rider went to The CW. I mean, CN has too much going on anyway. But if anyone wants to know, the thing is the reason why I was hoping CN would get Kamen Rider is because I was hoping that CN would make a better show than Out of Jimmy's Head.

Even if Kamen Rider had gone to CN, production on the show would have already been done; CN would have only aired it. Anyway, I'm glad that Cartoon Network won't be getting Kamen Rider, because IMHO, Cartoon Network should be concentrating its attention more on, well...cartoons. CN can make better shows than OOJH, as long as their animated shows.;)

Movie06

Even if Kamen Rider had gone to CN, they wouldn't have been producing the series, only airing it. Anyway, I'm glad that Cartoon Network won't be getting Kamen Rider, because IMHO, Cartoon Network should be concentrating its attention more on, well...cartoons.;)

True. But I still wonder what would happen if CN got Kamen Rider after all actually. ;)

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
It's a moot point, as the CW4Kids is a done deal. Why does it matter where you see Kamen Rider as long as you get to see it? Just be happy that you're getting KR at all, and that it's the actual Kamen Rider and not Masked Rider.

Also, no offense meant, but what does Kamen Rider have to do with Out of Jimmy's Head? The former is a toku action series while the latter is a kids' sitcom. If you don't like OOJH, just don't watch it.

Movie06

It's a moot point, as the CW4Kids is a done deal. Why does it matter where you see Kamen Rider as long as you get to see it? Just be happy that you're getting KR at all, and that it's the actual Kamen Rider and not Masked Rider.

I'm happy getting to see it. I know, airing the show on The CW4Kids is a done deal.

Also, no offense meant, but what does Kamen Rider have to do with Out of Jimmy's Head? The former is a toku action series while the latter is a kids' sitcom. If you don't like OOJH, just don't watch it.

That's why I put this. ;) As a joke. Ok, I still hate Out of Jimmy's Head but you get the idea.

Undrave

Forever Burning Heart!
And Tiga wasn't an adaptation, it was a dub. American's can't dub live action even if their lives depended on it!

Do you have the proof to prove that statement. I bet you that they can treat our programming just as bad as we can treat theirs. :shrug:

Oh trust me... I've seen what horrible things lazy French dubbers can do >< augh!

And remember the whole story a few years back when Muslim countries got the Simpsons and they editted out the bacon and the beer? I found it really funny because people were raising a stink over what all TV anime dubbers had been doing for year: excising culture from a show XD

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
And Tiga wasn't an adaptation, it was a dub. American's can't dub live action even if their lives depended on it!

I would say that applies to almost anyone dubbing live-action, not just Americans. When I was in Germany, practically the only thing on TV was a dubbed version of some primetime American drama or sitcom. It was horrible...

Undrave

Forever Burning Heart!
I would say that applies to almost anyone dubbing live-action, not just Americans. When I was in Germany, practically the only thing on TV was a dubbed version of some primetime American drama or sitcom. It was horrible...

Its a big chunk of programming here too.

American TV is EVERYWHERE.

Frankly the French are much much much better at dubbing live action and we are better at dubbing movies than them (smaller talent pool though...gets annoying)...that's why I say Americans just suck at it. I blame the lack of experience.

NewcomerDC

This is a shame since Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie is coming to Cartoon Network this week while Kamen Rider, a show that looked a bit better than the Ranger shows Disney had been producing is going to the HellMouth.

Well even if 4Kids gets the show, that doesn't mean that they can't add any other material to the show in hopes that the kids will love the same crappy jokes while still hoping for longtime fans of the franchise to stay attached to whatever's left of a butchered Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight.

The good thing about it is that it doesn't get those stupid bottom of the screen advertisements from CN about Ben 10: Alien Force and the push-up ads from Toon Disney.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
Well even if 4Kids gets the show, that doesn't mean that they can't add any other material to the show in hopes that the kids will love the same crappy jokes while still hoping for longtime fans of the franchise to stay attached to whatever's left of a butchered Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight.

4Kids only has the broadcast rights, not the production rights. There's a big difference between the two.

How many times does that need to be said in this thread?

Burgundy Ranger

Follower of Power Rangers, especially TV listings
4Kids only has the broadcast rights, not the production rights. There's a big difference between the two.

How many times does that need to be said in this thread?
You ask an unanswerable question. Those with advanced cases of 4Kidsaphobia will never be convinced.

Pomegranate

To reiterate what I said earlier, Nick doesn't want toku. They don't need toku. They're doing just fine without toku. They'd have no use for Kamen Rider. It's better that KR air on a channel that would actually make use of the show.

You're definitely correct in the fact that Nick gets excellent ratings with their original programming and doesn't need tokusatsu for that reason alone, but a tokusatsu series would help diversify their lineup some more and I don't exactly trust 4Kids with acquisitions:shrug: .

Its a big chunk of programming here too.

American TV is EVERYWHERE.

Frankly the French are much much much better at dubbing live action and we are better at dubbing movies than them (smaller talent pool though...gets annoying)...that's why I say Americans just suck at it. I blame the lack of experience.

I agree with what D Dubbs has said about live-action dubs. Live-action dubs look cheesy, regardless of who does the dubbing.

You ask an unanswerable question. Those with advanced cases of 4Kidsaphobia will never be convinced.

Maybe, it's because some of us don't trust 4Kids with acquisitions!:shrug:

Sketch

not like those other old guys
It'll be fine. And if not... what's lost? If Adness believes Kamen Rider can succeed then they'll get it a home on cable if it flops on Saturday mornings. And CN will probably be no less desperate by then so it could still end up on CN in 2009 but for now I'm glad it isn't airing there and has potential to be a hit on Saturday mornings where PR once dominated.

Pomegranate

It'll be fine. And if not... what's lost? If Adness believes Kamen Rider can succeed then they'll get it a home on cable if it flops on Saturday mornings. And CN will probably be no less desperate by then so it could still end up on CN in 2009 but for now I'm glad it isn't airing there and has potential to be a hit on Saturday mornings where PR once dominated.

We probably won't have a chance to get ahold of a legal uncut R1 release of any Kamen Rider series with the original Japanese actors, footage, settings and music present, if Dragon Knight were to succeed on CW4Kids and it probably shouldn't, because kids usually prefer Nicktoons and kidcoms(e.g. Hannah Montana) on TV over some tokusatsu franchise America has forgotten about in a very long time ever since Saban's Masked Rider was pulled from the Fox Kids lineup due to Ishinomori's hatred of the Kamen Rider Black RX adaption:sweat: .

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts