"Avengers: Endgame" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this movie

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 4 30.8%

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 2 15.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

reflection01

I have a feeling there will come a time Feige calls out all tv MCU as non-canon.

Why? It doesn’t matter one way or the other. Except that time travel rules worked differently in AOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
^I guess the rules depends on the method. On a related note, I want to rewatch Doctor Strange and see if what they said about time travel gels with Endgame.

More comments on Cap's ending - lived in a branch reality, somehow made it back to the main reality, told Sam goodbye.

VintageToonFan

I saw the flick on Thursday with my girlfriend.

A lot of good things in this flick that outweigh the bad. The emotional moments were all perfect and left an impact, Thor was funny as hell, Scott Lang was really amusing and that final battle with all the characters returning to life was just brilliant.

One thing that disappointed me, though, was not seeing that much of Brie Larson's Carol. The scenes in which she appeared were great and seeing her leading the "girl power" charge was just awesome. But I feel that she should have been more prominent (especially with the way they teased her for this flick in the post-credits scene of her standalone movie) instead of using her as a Deus-Ex Machina.

However, she really is rocking the short hair look, and I think that I may have her getting a haircut sometime in the RP.

The lack of Tom Holland's Spidey also was a bit of a letdown, since along with Brie, he is one of my favorite MCU casting choices, but it was understandable since he went poof in the last one.

And although I might whine and complain about the use of CGI, I really felt it worked quite well for de-aging Stan Lee during his cameo appearance and de-aging Michael Douglas when he shows up as young Hank Pym. I honestly didn't even notice that it was CGI.

One of the big problems I have with Thanos is casting. Josh Brolin is a good actor (Cable in Deadpool 2 is proof of that) but I still think he was miscast as Thanos. I would have personally used someone like Max Von Sydow or Stellan Skarsgård (who played Selvig in previous MCU flicks), 'cause even though Brolin does have an imposing voice, I feel he lacks the kind of insanity that Thanos should have.

Surprised at the amount of cameo appearances in this one, though. Quite a few characters that only appeared on one scene without any speaking roles like Aunt May, Nick Fury, Peter's classmate Ned, Jan Pym and I think I saw Agent Maria Hill at Tony's funeral.

So yeah, there were more good things than bad. This was a good flick, but I still think Captain Marvel is my top favorite of the MCU flicks.

Action!

I watched the movie this morning and I have to say, that movie may be the greatest movie on the planet. I really loved the visuals and the time traveling scene. I cried when Iron Man died. A great end to a great phrase.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Avengers: Endgame

I think the first thing I need to state before I go any further is that I think this is the best superhero film of all time. We'll get into the good and bad in a bit, but that isn't the kind of thing I say every review. To be blunt, the previous best superhero film of all time for me was Captain America: The Winter Soldier. And generally speaking just that, The Dark Knight, and Spider-Man 2 elicited those kinds of thoughts from me. It seems every time Marvel comes out with a movie it's the best superhero film of all time for some fans. I cannot tell you how frustrating it was to hear that said about Infinity War, a film I found completely underwhelming and unsatisfactory. But yeah, the last superhero film I saw that was better than any other was Winter Soldier.

All things considered, perhaps Winter Soldier's excellence compared to this film being better is something to say that Winter Soldier's accomplishments are even more impressive in hindsight. Because the truth is, this movie did not occur in a vacuum. It was a loving valentine and pay-off to movies that often didn't even have an Avengers connection before this (like Ant-Man). The reason Winter Soldier was great was because it upended the entire Marvel Universe with so few characters being present. That makes it cool and relevant. But everybody is here. Even Natalie Portman! Are they kidding me? I never thought I'd see her again.

And the reason this is the best film isn't because the fights are more epic, and the stakes are higher. That doesn't matter so much to me. It's that it was actually fun. I went in expecting the worst, and a total bloodbath, but besides Black Widow's sucky death, the body count of the heroes was super low. I was P.O.ed at Black Widow's death, because if it WAS down to her and Hawkeye, I'd rather Young Popeye bites it, because Widow is my favorite hero in these movies.

Do you know why this movie worked for me? Because they framed it as a "Time Heist". It's no longer a tragic story involving genocide. Now it's fun. Scott Lang gives me permission to enjoy myself again.

But Tony's death was absolutely awesome. He saved the day completely. After all these films, it's right it went down to him. And because he sacrificed himself after being so selfish throughout the film, that actually made me enjoy the hurt I was feeling. It was a great, EARNED death. Those shouldn't be as hard and uncommon as pop culture makes them.

The other awesome thing is they didn't do as rumored for Captain America and kill him off. I thought that was the dumbest idea ever. You do not have to kill a character off to retire them. Instead they give him a happy ending and everything he and the audience ever wanted. There is a regrettable tendency in fiction to believe finality and a definitive endings involves death and loss. It doesn't have to. That's what the whole notion of "Happily Ever After" is all about. And I like that the franchise gives the audience what it wants, instead of punishing them for wanting it. We are not the bad guys. We don't deserve to be repeatedly hurt and made to feel terrible because we care about these characters. Current drama seems to think differently. God bless these movies for knowing what's what.

I love that Jarvis from the Agent Carter TV series is the same guy here. Hiring him was the least they could do after Steve wiped his entire TV show out of the canon. Or did he? It might hold up if you accept the idea he went back in the 1970's. Which he probably did.

Man, this movie had Robert Redford, Michael Douglas, Michelle Pfieffer, Rene Russo, Angela Bassett, Marisa Tomei, Tilda Swinton, and Natalie Portman. Normally, a superhero film gets one or two big names to lend it credibility. Because of the premise here, they all get to be in the same movie.

Yvette Nicole Brown is another MCU Community alum. It pays to be friends with the Russo Brothers.

I love that Captain Marvel makes Peter Parker tongue-tied. Oh, Peter. I know exactly how you feel.

Chris Hemsworth pretty much stole the movie. It's not just Fat Thor which is why he was funny. There was genuine pathos and instability in his character. I felt for him very much, perhaps more than any other character. He was great.

I love the moment of all of the female heroes charging to protect Captain Marvel and the Infinity Gauntlet. I'm not a woman, but I still found it empowering.

Bummed they didn't retcon Gamora's death, even with the time travel premise. Guardians 3 is going to be much more morbid than it should be. Even if Thor's in it.

I like the notion that the snap picks up five years in the future, because that means Tony's daughter is still a thing, as is Nebula's reformation, and Smart Hulk. The good things we lost are allowed to return, while the good things we gained are not retconned due to the time travel. I love Smart Hulk, and I love that Bruce is happy with him. I'm glad he found that specific kind of peace.

And the movie isn't three hours long because it needs that much time for the action and mythology. It's because it needs a good half hour to forty-five minutes for wrap-up with the characters. Which is one of the reasons the movie is so great. The characters matter more than the actual climax. Which is how it should be.

This movie is everything I ever wanted in a superhero movie. It was mostly fun, and it hurt in places, but mostly it was a good hurt. I'm still annoyed about Nat but that is the only thing in the movie I didn't like, which is pretty rare for me. Yes, the was the best superhero movie ever made, and the culmination of everything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Very rarely does something live up to the hype. Basically it's Ellen's "The Puppy Episode" and now this. That's what a rare and special gift this movie was. I loved this. With all my heart. 5 stars. *****.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I love that Jarvis from the Agent Carter TV series is the same guy here. Hiring him was the least they could do after Steve wiped his entire TV show out of the canon. Or did he? It might hold up if you accept the idea he went back in the 1970's. Which he probably did.
No, the TV show is safe. Steve went back to about 1948 to live his life with Peggy. It was mentioned in an interview from Fandago last week. So he went back at least 6 months after end of Agent Carter season 2. The only questions are was he Carter's husband all along, did Carter make up the story in the 1953 interview, how did no one recognize Steve, etc.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
No, the TV show is safe. Steve went back to about 1948 to live his life with Peggy. It was mentioned in an interview from Fandago last week.
It doesn't actually matter to me because even if it wasn't the TV show still counts as occurring during the original timeline. But whether any of the TV shows are even canon is up for debate. Although Jarvis helps.

Freddy

No, the TV show is safe. Steve went back to about 1948 to live his life with Peggy. It was mentioned in an interview from Fandago last week. So he went back at least 6 months after end of Agent Carter season 2. The only questions are was he Carter's husband all along, did Carter make up the story in the 1953 interview, how did no one recognize Steve, etc.

Remember, the time travel in this movie doesn't work with Back to the Future - rules, but with multiverse - theory. Like I have said few times already, by this movie's rules, you can't change the past only create new timelines. Prime-Peggy still married someone else, while Prime-Steve married Alternative-Peggy.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Which is still pretty messed up since he deprived whoever married Peggy of his wife.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Remember, the time travel in this movie doesn't work with Back to the Future - rules, but with multiverse - theory. Like I have said few times already, by this movie's rules, you can't change the past only create new timelines. Prime-Peggy still married someone else, while Prime-Steve married Alternative-Peggy.
Perhaps but the directors and the writers seem to have differing opinions on the matter.

Last edited:

Freddy

Which is still pretty messed up since he deprived whoever married Peggy of his wife.

Is it though? In The Winter Soldier, I always read from Atwell's performance that her marriage wasn't completely fullfilling and/or she never got over Steve. If Steve was rescued from ice earlier and had to directly compete with Peggy's husband, I doubt that the outcome would be any different.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It's not permanently broken, it's permanently damaged. He can still use it.
I like that last bit where they leave the door open for it to be healed/replaced/etc. at some point. EDIT: Now that I think out it, I wonder if someone like Janet can heal it with quantum energy.

Last edited:

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
You can't permanently damage Hulk's arm. That's...dumb. He has a healing factor on par with Wolverine. Maybe they mean he has a damaged arm for as long as he's "Professor Hulk".

I suspect he's going to have a split in the future, where he reverts to Banner, and then reverts to angry Hulk, the transformation should regenerate the dead cells.

I saw the movie last Friday. Loved it. Can't find time to give all of my thoughts on it. Still trying to wrap my head around the time travel.

How does Captain America returning the stones to when they were stolen undo the fact that Thanos is dead in 2014, and can no longer be the "behind the scenes" villain in the 1st Guardians of the Galaxy? "Hooray, Captain America returned the stone, Peter Quill wakes up and still retrieves the stone, but....Thanos is no longer around to order Ronan around?!?"

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
How does Captain America returning the stones to when they were stolen undo the fact that Thanos is dead in 2014, and can no longer be the "behind the scenes" villain in the 1st Guardians of the Galaxy? "Hooray, Captain America returned the stone, Peter Quill wakes up and still retrieves the stone, but....Thanos is no longer around to order Ronan around?!?"
I think that goes with the point they made with the 'why don't you kill him when he's a baby' argument. He vanished from that point in 2014, but he still exists in the rest of 2014 and on.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these proposals:

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.

Featured Posts