DC Comics Animation - Comic Book News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Possible Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowStar

THANK YOU! The issue looks action-packed. Though I thought the story was called "The Secret Origin of Terra"? Does that mean it's a 2 in 1?

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
From the way those first three pages are paced (slow and steady), this is Geoforce's story, and in it, he tells the Titans who his sister is. So flashback to Terra's origins, and not two shorter tales.

But we won't know until tomorrow for sure.

ichormosquito

Just thought I'd point out that Bruce Timm is penciling the cover to April's Spirit #16:

spirit_cv16_r1_solicit.jpg

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
DC Comics released the solicitation information for their April shipping comics on Tuesday, including their DC animated titles (comics based on the cartoons we cover here at The World's Finest). Once again, we're dipping into the past with Justice League Unlimited, going back to the Justice League Adventures-era days. Here's what we can expect in April from our favorite animated titles, with the information provided by DC Comics:

JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED #44

Written by: Ken Pontac
Art by: John Delaney & Ty Templeton
Cover by: Dario Brizuela

Untold tales of the Justice League! Mirror Master’s son knows his dad’s a real hero, while the League knows Mirror Master is a real villain. You won’t believe who’s right! On sale April 2nd.

THE BATMAN STRIKES! #44

Written by: Josh Elder
Art and cover by: Christopher Jones & Terry Beatty

Batman heads to Metropolis on the trail of a Gotham City supervillain! But to bring the baddie down, he’s going to have to deal with the one, the only…Superman! On sale April 16th.

THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES IN THE 31st CENTURY #13

Written by: J. Torres
Art and cover by: Alexander Serra

A distress call from a stranded United Planets ship pits the Legion against a gang of rogue Thanagarian pirates! They’re gonna have to call in the big guns, but their best hope is 1,000 years away. And a teammate’s actions during battle will have consequences that he never could have predicted. On sale April 9th.

TEEN TITANS GO! #54

Written by: J. Torres
Art by: Ethen Beavers
Cover by: Todd Nauck

The Teen Titans visit Paradise Island for some fun and games, but someone who wants to take down Wonder Girl is about to put a wrinkle in their plans! Meanwhile, the villiainous Trident has plans of his own for the Amazons and their friends! On sale April 30th.

Comments?

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
And...I'm a happy puppy!

Another JL Adventures story? That has Wonder Woman?! With art by Templeton and Delaney!?! That's a combo we've never seen before...and they're two of my faves! Very, very happy.

And now that we've got the solicit on TTG #54, I'm pretty darn happy about that issue too! A trip to Paradise Island means something by ways of an explanation surrounding Wonder Girl's existance...and that's all I wanted :)

Great, great stuff.

Although, now I'm wishing DC would have JLU run until issue #50, and then get a new team on it to revitalize it into the series it should have been since day one.

Legion seems to be continuing to involve JL/JLU history as a means of drawing readers in. It worked for me on the Wonder Woman-related issue. I flipped through it in stores...but it always boils down to the fact that this is a different series about a bunch of characters I don't care for. So Torres can bring in Martian Manhunter, Shayera and the Thanagarians and the Amazons all he wants...but I don't know if it will accomplish what this comic ultimately needs to do - create interest in the Legionnaires.

Oh wait...that's the show's responsibility. Okay then. Let me comic do what it wants :) At least Torres is clearly trying to please everyone :)

EDIT: What's up with Spirit's knuckles in that Timm picture? Is it part of the character's design consistantly...or just a strange thing in the image?

adoptedBatpuppy

Confidence is the Key
And...I'm a happy puppy!

Another JL Adventures story? That has Wonder Woman?! With art by Templeton and Delaney!?! That's a combo we've never seen before...and they're two of my faves! Very, very happy.

And now that we've got the solicit on TTG #54, I'm pretty darn happy about that issue too! A trip to Paradise Island means something by ways of an explanation surrounding Wonder Girl's existance...and that's all I wanted :)

Great, great stuff.

Although, now I'm wishing DC would have JLU run until issue #50, and then get a new team on it to revitalize it into the series it should have been since day one.

Legion seems to be continuing to involve JL/JLU history as a means of drawing readers in. It worked for me on the Wonder Woman-related issue. I flipped through it in stores...but it always boils down to the fact that this is a different series about a bunch of characters I don't care for. So Torres can bring in Martian Manhunter, Shayera and the Thanagarians and the Amazons all he wants...but I don't know if it will accomplish what this comic ultimately needs to do - create interest in the Legionnaires.

Oh wait...that's the show's responsibility. Okay then. Let me comic do what it wants :) At least Torres is clearly trying to please everyone :)

EDIT: What's up with Spirit's knuckles in that Timm picture? Is it part of the character's design consistantly...or just a strange thing in the image?

Me too! ;) Is JLU going to stop before issue # 50? :crying: I feel like TT GO! is going to end soon too, because there are too many Teen Titans comic books on the market. (Tiny Titans, Titans, Teen Titans: Year One, etc)
P.S. James Harvey, That's the wrong cover for Legion of Superheroes in the 31'st Century # 13. That cover is from the March's issue.
April's issue is missing a cover.
I hope Batman Strikes # 44 will not be like the Batman meets Superman story episodes on WB. :eek:

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
I'm sure The Batman Strike will be an original story.

And while the Legion cover is the old one, that's all DC showed, so until DC updates their web info, that's all we got.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The World's Finest caught up with John Delaney for a quick look about his upcoming work in the April-shipping Justice League Unlimited #44. Click here, or on the image below, to check it out.

More comic book-themed interviews are scheduled in the near future, so keep checking back! We'll have the talkback threads posted up as soon as these new interviews go live. Stay tuned!

frostedone

April 2008 RIP DCAU...

April will be a hard moth for fans of the DCAU. The last issue of Justice Luague Unlimited will be released. :( Will this be the end of the Timmiverse? :harley:I hope not, but is is the last new thing that we will see of it, unless Mr. Timm and co decide to make another DCAU project.

Also the last issues of Teen Titans Go! :robin::raven:and The Batman will be released so even the different animated (non Timmiverse) universes will come to an end.

April will be one sad month...

ShadowStar

Where was it explicitly said that JLU is ending in April? I thought it was ending around the time of June. It had better NOT be April, 'cause I don't want the DCAU to die on the month of my 18th birthday. :(

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I think what's so upsetting is that 'Justice League Unlimited' is almost like the final strand of the DCAU - essentially the thing that gave me so many hours of entertainment and action figures as a child.

All good things come to an end... However if Bruce Timm and all the actors and crew can move on then it shouldn't be too hard for us to do the same.

Were we sit at the minute we are very lucky... about 16 years of cartoons (and comics based on them), action figures, video games, DTV's - not to mention the fact that we are lucky enough to now own them all on DVD!!

Pretty good deal.

Lastly... i don't think 'The Batman Strikes' is coming to an end at all and 'Teen Titans Go!' has been extended.

ShadowStar

Terrible, terrible news... Teen Titans Go! is being scrapped in May, upon reaching issue #55. Subscribers to the comic have just been informed via letter. It seems that DC is trying to get those same subscribers to turn towards Tiny Titans. More info. can be found at www.titansgo.net. This is awful. I'm about to start typing an e-mail begging them to extend JLU and TTG!, even if they have to scrap The Batman Strikes! and Tiny Titans in the process. Everyone, retaliate! We have to act NOW!

batsy2

The Batman Strikes is still going on i heard there will be 2008-2009 releases so its still going on and isaw pencils for #46 so thats safe and more team-up issues i still feel said for the DC ANIMATED UNIVERSE the greatest cartoons and comics i've seen in ever and will be missed but The batman Strikes will be the second best show in my life​

ShadowStar

Terrible, terrible news... Teen Titans Go! is being scrapped in May, upon reaching issue #55. Subscribers to the comic have just been informed via letter. It seems that DC is trying to get those same subscribers to turn towards Tiny Titans. More info. can be found at www.titansgo.net. This is awful. I'm about to start typing an e-mail begging them to extend JLU and TTG!, even if they have to scrap The Batman Strikes! and Tiny Titans in the process. Everyone, retaliate! We have to act NOW!

Tobias

Who you gonna call?
You'd think DC would let at least ONE animate title continue long after it's t.v. counterpart ended. Look at how far Sonic the Hedgehog's gone, and the show that was based on was canceled almost 15 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.

Featured Posts