DC Comics Animation - Comic Book News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Possible Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostedone

Does JLU sell well? I seems like such a shame that the last remnant of the DCAU is ending so soon. It is just so hard to believe you know after 15 or so years it is suddenly over.

TT:GO! was another great comic and cartoon, now that is almost up.

I wish the bat embargo did not continue towards the JLU comic too. Flash/Nightwing team up would have been gold. So would a Mr. Freeze/Killer Frost team up. Also Batgirl/Supergirl would make another good team.

Harvey Two Face

Formerly Reiven
Man this is cruel, I mean Teen Titans is on it's last legs with the cancellation of Titans Go, there won't be anything until Judas Contract and that's like 2009. With the ending of JLU what are they going to put on show instead of re-runs? I think I'll go back to watching BB for now.

frostedone

I just sent an Email to DC-direct:

Please don't cancel the comic series Justice League Unlimited so soon. The JLU comic is the last bit of the cartoon universe fans have left. Batman The animated series/TNBA/Superman TAS/Justice League/JLU/and Batman beyond have all been part of a 15+ year old fan favorite series. Batman TAS got me started in DC comics and superheros in general, and not that the final remnant of the DC animated (Bruce Timm's) universe is ending, it seems like my childhood is dying a little. Please let one comic series from the animated universe continue, Batman's two or three series got canceled, so did Batman Beyond's comic, and now JL's. Please it is all us fans have left of that great series.

Thank you

Maybe if we all email them asking not to cancel it they might listen.

ShadowStar

I wish the bat embargo did not continue towards the JLU comic too. Flash/Nightwing team up would have been gold. So would a Mr. Freeze/Killer Frost team up. Also Batgirl/Supergirl would make another good team.

The Bat-embargo doesn't apply to the JLU comic, as far as I know. Clayface was in one issue, and a very recent one had the Joker and Harley Quinn... Why didn't they make use of the others while they had the chance?! :sad:

Also, I don't get why they're so adamant to kill Teen Titans Go! when it's consistently ranked as the top-selling Johnny DC title. :confused:

Cortez2301

Were we sit at the minute we are very lucky... about 16 years of cartoons (and comics based on them), action figures, video games, DTV's - not to mention the fact that we are lucky enough to now own them all on DVD!!
You would think that they could supply more of those video games action figures after such a good run.:)

Seriously they will be missed.Btw please lighten up the atmosphere around here.People are dying by the minute and you guys are depressed because of the end of the franchise.Be thankful we actually got to see it.I do need to do good in my midterms this week without you guys depressing me.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Terrible, terrible news... Teen Titans Go! is being scrapped in May, upon reaching issue #55. Subscribers to the comic have just been informed via letter. It seems that DC is trying to get those same subscribers to turn towards Tiny Titans. More info. can be found at www.titansgo.net. This is awful. I'm about to start typing an e-mail begging them to extend JLU and TTG!, even if they have to scrap The Batman Strikes! and Tiny Titans in the process. Everyone, retaliate! We have to act NOW!

Some of us actually LIKE The Batman Strikes!, so we wouldn't like it to be cancelled earlier than expected. I would rather cut down Tiny Titans and the Superfriends comic instead.

I do agree with all your other points, though. I was really starting to enjoy Tenn Titans Go!

JAG

While I'd like to see Teen Titans Go! continue indefinitely, if there is a legitimate reason to cancel it (they're out of ideas, for example), then it should be so. Better to end it on a high note than to drag it through the mud.:shrug:

adoptedBatpuppy

Confidence is the Key
This is sad, I kind of speculated about Teen Titans Go! to be ending but not JLU and Batman Strikes too. :crying: I wish the creators of these comics see what great stories they wrote, and continue with their effort to bring us these characters and stories to life!
I understand that people need to move on, but can't they switch teams around or something. Most of those stories were really good, and the series deserve to continue. (I understnand that the comic book series can't continue forever) but Tiny Titans and Super Friends comic book series look really childish! :(
Although there is another comic book title coming out: Titans, it's just not the same. I don't think there is anything that needs to be replaced. those books were the last connection to the animated series we had, and now even that is gone. :sad:

ShadowStar

This is sad, I kind of speculated about Teen Titans Go! to be ending but not JLU and Batman Strikes too. :crying: I wish the creators of these comics see what great stories they wrote, and continue with their effort to bring us these characters and stories to life!
I understand that people need to move on, but can't they switch teams around or something. Most of those stories were really good, and the series deserve to continue. (I understnand that the comic book series can't continue forever) but Tiny Titans and Super Friends comic book series look really childish! :(
Although there is another comic book title coming out: Titans, it's just not the same. I don't think there is anything that needs to be replaced. those books were the last connection to the animated series we had, and now even that is gone. :sad:

No-one said that The Batman Strikes! was finishing. JLU and TTG! are definitely cancelled though. :mad:

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
I'm not too surprised. Things in my life have really put something small - like the cancellation of a comic book - into perspective.

It's unfortunately JLA and JLU didn't ever really stand as tall as the previous Adventures titles, but hey...it's been fun reading them and looking forward to them.

If DC wants to go down a cutesy road and make comics for young-ins, that's what they're going to do. Maybe they'll come around again, but if they don't...it's still been good.

Would have preferred a bigger send-off though. DC sure made a lot of money thanks to The Batman Adventures, Superman Adventures, Gotham Adventures and all the other titles that sprung from that honey pot.

Dusty

Superman.
Wow, I can't believe how harsh people are to JL Adventures,
I thought JLA was just as good as Batman Adventures (the later one) and Batman Gotham Adventures, even better than most of Superman Adventures,

D.

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
How so? I feel like JLA and BA were oranges and apples...

Batman Adventures was written after the series it was based on had been off the air for several years, and managed to keep everyone in character, while taking their stories to their next logical extension, or heading off in intruguing, clever new directions. A consistant creative team kept the book on a steady course, and any continuity references to the DCAU shows were usually accurate.

Justice League Adventures, meanwhile, struggled in large part due to having no sole creative team working on the book. The characters on the series were far from fleshed out back in season one, and in the comic they were even less well-rounded. The stories often violated continuity, which, in JLA's defense, was still in the process of being developped on the series. Most of the comic book's better stories came back to the same gimmic of having the Leaguers fighting one another, and even after the JL series had begun establishing continuity, the comic would fly in the face of it (Felix Faust and Aresia popping up in stories despite being dead). The art wasn't interesting, nevermind consistant, and the color palette was noticeably washed out. Where Batman Adventures profited from being able to go in it's own direction, this book suffered from having to keep up with the show, and never really stood proud as a companion of equal entertainment value or quality.

When I think back on JLA, I immediately think of three things DC could have done to make the book memorable:

#1 - Get an experienced creative team on the book. So Ty and Dan and Rick were busy...what about Mark Millar, Bret Blevins, Aluir Amancio, Paul Storrie or Jason Hall? Some of those guys worked on one issue or maybe two, but sitting down with someone capable from the start would have at least given the series a clear direction.

#2 - If the comic book folks didn't know whether or not Hawkgirl used a mace or a staff (there was confusing regarding this in one issue), just avoid dealing with it until you do! The way I understand it, the comic was launched using unfinalized character outlines and details. Keeping more direct contact with the people behind the show, they could have avoided many potholes. Case in point, Wonder Woman's focal issue (#4) which really flew in the face of Paradise Lost, an early season one episode. Could have been avoided.

#3 - After the book had been running for a year, and DC could see what the show wasn't going to be focusing on much, why not step in and fill in the blanks? Case in point - Lex Luthor was a character who made (I believe) no more than TWO appearances in the JLA and JLU books! His first story was the last issue of JLA (and completely out of continuity, but at least a worthy effort), and the last was a CAMEO in ONE ISSUE of JLU. A little communication with the show people would have revealed that his time a super-criminal would be limited on the show. Why not go a bit more in-depth in the comic? There were story opportunities there, just as there were with all the other villains from the series (Copperhead, the Shade, etc).

As much as it may sound as if I'm griping in hindsight, I remember thinking these very things as the series was being printed, and I, hoping for improvement, came back every month only to be disappointed. The best part of the book was the discovery of Chris Jones, whose art has now made The Batman Strikes! an interesting read.

Honestly, I much prefered the completely un-canon but wonderfully liberated Adventures in the DC Universe, a series that boldly carved out a universe back when only Batman and Superman could lay claim to the Timm touch.

Dusty

Superman.
Fooey! thats your opinion (which is worthless, j/k DB... ;) )

Me? I personally loved the art, (I kinda wish they would have stuck with one artist) but when I think about it, it would be too hard for me to choose, cause they all looked great! and I am so glad Aluir Amancio didn't do much art for the series, as his DCAU art is beyond horrible, (all the women look sleezy, and the art is not even close to the actual designs) Superman Adventures was good, till he took over (i'm not sure why he started drawing them so strangely.) I never cared for the BTAS comic, or the BGA, until I started reading SA, then when JLA came out i was hooked, (well up until the last 2 issues at least) but during JLA is when I started reading BGA and BA, (it would have been great had they continued BA) I wish I could find some of the BGA, but my comic shop doesn't have much of anything,
BTW, no offense or anything DB, (sorry if it came off that way, i was just joking with ya.)
Anyways, Taht's just my opinion on the DCAU Adventures stuff.

:)

D.

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
A quote from Torres' blog about the cancellation of TTG!

Yes, it's true. Sorry, everyone. But please keep picking up the remaining issues and trades as they come out. I'm told there's a possibility of some kind of follow-up if there's enough of a demand...

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
I didn't catch where it said Final Issue of Teen Titans Go! but it clearly is...Nauck is doing his version of the cover to the 1st issue, and from the synop, Torres is also bookending that story with a revisitation of the Titans v.s. Hive brawl. Those two have done such a good job on the book. I didn't care for the show nearly as much as I do this book, and it's because of them.

The Batman Strikes seems to be going out (if it is their last issue) with a girl fight issue. Should be fun to check out.

Justice League Unlimited meanwhile, is seemingly going out with a dud. Grodd has to be least interesting villain in creation because it always comes back to the same thing with him - monkey jokes and mind control. Oy. On the plus side Mary Marvel and Booster Gold return. Although who knows if they'll seem like themselves. We're also getting the first appearance of a new artist. Does the name Scott Cohn mean anything to anyone?

:sad: And I thought the book would end with the Delaney/Templeton Mirror Master issue. Oh, nevermind, it's no big deal if he get one more random issue, right? So moving along...

Tiny Titans has finally put a smile on my face with their silly Nightwing cover.

hobbyfan

Hmmmm Here's the solicitations; and while it says "Final Issue" next to Teen Titans Go!, it says nothing to indicate Justice League Unlimited is ending. Has there been a reprieve or a mistake?

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/May08/solicitations.html

Chalk it up to gradual transition, I think. I don't think they want to cancel both books at the same time---though that's happened before---so they'll cut them separately. Once the inventory material on JLU is used up, then it's done, probably with #50.

ShadowStar

I didn't catch where it said Final Issue of Teen Titans Go! but it clearly is...Nauck is doing his version of the cover to the 1st issue, and from the synop, Torres is also bookending that story with a revisitation of the Titans v.s. Hive brawl. Those two have done such a good job on the book. I didn't care for the show nearly as much as I do this book, and it's because of them.

The Batman Strikes seems to be going out (if it is their last issue) with a girl fight issue. Should be fun to check out.

Justice League Unlimited meanwhile, is seemingly going out with a dud. Grodd has to be least interesting villain in creation because it always comes back to the same thing with him - monkey jokes and mind control. Oy. On the plus side Mary Marvel and Booster Gold return. Although who knows if they'll seem like themselves. We're also getting the first appearance of a new artist. Does the name Scott Cohn mean anything to anyone?

:sad: And I thought the book would end with the Delaney/Templeton Mirror Master issue. Oh, nevermind, it's no big deal if he get one more random issue, right? So moving along...

Tiny Titans has finally put a smile on my face with their silly Nightwing cover.

Where are all the rumours of The Batman Strikes! finishing coming from? That comic is NOT ending. (If killing The Batman Strikes! would mean saving Teen Titans Go! though, I would kill TBS!)

It's a shame that TTG! and JLU have been axed though. But I'm not surprised that JLU isn't over yet because when the initial word of its cancellation came through, it was said somewhere that the comic would only last for the first half of 2008. So I expect June's issue to be the last one.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
DC Comics released the solicitation information for their May shipping comics on Tuesday, including their DC animated titles (comics based on the cartoons we cover here at The World's Finest). Sadly, the Teen Titans Go! title will end in May, but the remaining animated titles are safe for the time-being, though Justice League Unlimited is schedule to end later this year. Here's what we can expect in May from our favorite animated titles, with the information provided by DC Comics:

JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED #45

Written by: Alex Gradet
Art by:Scott Cohn
Cover by: Zach Howard

Metropolis is under attack thanks to some serious monkey business! And somehow, the League is powerless to stop the threat. How will Mary Marvel and Booster Gold save the day? On sale May 7th.

THE BATMAN STRIKES! #45

Written by: Jai Nitz
Cover by: Andie Tong
Art by: Christopher Jones & Terry Beatty

Batman's left Batgirl to watch over Gotham on her own. Uh-oh. She's fought lunatics like the Joker and brutes like Killer Croc to a standstill, but she may not be able to compete with the craftiness of Catwoman! On sale May 14th.

THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES IN THE 31st CENTURY #14

Written by: J. Torres
Art and cover by: Alexander Serra

A distress call from a stranded United Planets' ship pits the Legion against a gang of rogue Thanagarian pirates - and they're not exactly carrying on Hawkman's heroic legacy! On sale May 14th.

TEEN TITANS GO! #55 (Final Issue)

Written by: J. Torres
Art by: Todd Nauck & Lary Stucker
Cover by: Todd Nauck

The team has expanded, there are Titans East, West, North and South with even more new recruits being trained…but when the Hive 5 resurfaces, only Robin, Starfire, Cyborg, Beast Boy and Raven can take them down! On sale May 28th. Final Issue.

Comments?

ShadowStar

Why cancel BOTH?! If anyone working on JLU or TTG! frequents these boards, would they please explain why BOTH have to go? It just makes no sense! I thought JLU was being axed by DC to get back at fans for saving TTG!, but TTG! is going anyway! I just have to wonder what DC's thinking...

The covers to TTG! #55 and TBS! #45 are gorgeous. It's interesting that LOSH #14 will deal with Hawkman, when the comic has been making ties to the DCAU lately and Hawkman was not a Thanagarian in the DCAU... That leads me to wonder if J. Torres is still trying to make it part of the DCAU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!

Featured Posts