Disney bought 21st Century Fox for $71.3 billion in stock

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Saw this earlier today, and my reaction was like "Oh crap, this is for real?!? Disney's really going to own everything?!?"

MegasMilo379

Finally.
I didn't think it could or would happen, but then again Ted Turner bought MGM in April '86 just to own their movies released up until that year; not to mention CBS bought the Australian Network Ten last month.
So this isn't all the way absurd or shocking in general.

I am honestly teething in curiousness and excitement to see where this deal goes from here.

Mandouga

No offense, Wonderfly, but let's not exaggerate. I mean, one company "owning everything" would be against law, wouldn't it?...

(sigh) Look, everyone, this just seems like another short-sighted thing to me. I mean, it seems like the only reason they were able to get Lucasfilm was so they could release the season of The Muppet Show that features the Star Wars episode (either the fourth or fifth season). Here, it seems like they're only doing this, just so the Marvel movies can all be set in the same universe.

In other words, there's just no other way to put this: I'm kind of hoping this doesn't happen, to be completely honest.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Of all of the crazy Disney purchases of the last decade, this would certainly be the most surreal.
Obviously I have to agree. Ironically fifteen years ago, this was when they sold FOX Kids to Disney alongside the Saban catalog, now most of FOX (not all of it) is jumping ship.

the greenman

If you think about FOX tv and films, I might actually get the new streaming service. I mean some of that television stuff is classic, MASH, The Practice, Ally McBeal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, American Horror Story, Lost in Space, 21 Jump Street, In Living Color, The X-Files, 24, Bernie Mac Show, all Irwin Allen television shows, even little stuff that are slightly obscure to some like Mr. Belvedere, Small Wonder, WKRP in Cincinnati, and Alien Nation series.

A channel featuring all that plus the possibility of old school Disney Afternoon stuff for me is a massive GET.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Erased Paper

Well... I guess that Disney won't want the first two PR movies...

I'm against this deal happening, for a number of reasons. One being that a whole lot of things would go out of print now.

ToonJay723

Staff member
If Fox MUST sell their assets I'd rather they sell different things to different companies. Like only sell their Marvel stuff and A New Hope to Disney, only sell most of their TV stuff to Comcast, and only sell their other films to Viacom.

Disney does not need to own six animation studios, or two sports networks.

Dudley

Staff member
If Fox MUST sell their assets I'd rather they sell different things to different companies. Like only sell their Marvel stuff and A New Hope to Disney, only sell most of their TV stuff to Comcast, and only sell their other films to Viacom.

Disney does not need to own six animation studios, or two sports networks.

I assume you mean Fox’s terrestrial sports networks, as Fox Sports 1 will not be part of the deal.

As for the animation studios, Disney would own SEVEN: WDAS, Pixar, DTVA, Marvel Animation, Lucasfilm Animation (including its Singapore studio), Blue Sky Studios, and Fox Television Animation.

They’ll also own a distribution deal with Locksmith Animation in the UK, unless they drop out.

Speaking of Fox TV Animation, now I may be optimistic, but due to how successful Fox’s adult cartoons are, alongside Archer, and seeing how popular Adult Swim is, I honestly believe Disney will pursue the production of more adult cartoons, might even have Fox make more Simpsons movies, or a Family Guy Movie.
So long as these IPs make money, Disney will keep them around.
They might make them reduce the seasons to just 13 episodes to save money, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
(sigh) Look, everyone, this just seems like another short-sighted thing to me. I mean, it seems like the only reason they were able to get Lucasfilm was so they could release the season of The Muppet Show that features the Star Wars episode (either the fourth or fifth season). Here, it seems like they're only doing this, just so the Marvel movies can all be set in the same universe.
Um... No. Normally somebody on the internet has no idea what they are talking about and I let it slide. But the Muppet nerd in me cannot let this slide. No, Disney did NOT just freaking spend millions of dollars to buy the entire Star Wars franchise so they could release the fourth season of The Muppet Show on a bare-bones release DVD. Usually when somebody says something this dumb, I roll my eyes and move on. But Disney still has NOT released the fourth friggin' season of The Muppet Show on DVD! At all! Even WITH the rights to Star Wars! At this point, your ignorance is actually rubbing salt in that particular wound.

Ouch, man. :p

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
If you think about FOX tv and films, I might actually get the new streaming service. I mean some of that television stuff is classic, MASH, The Practice, Ally McBeal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, American Horror Story, Lost in Space, 21 Jump Street, In Living Color, The X-Files, 24, Bernie Mac Show, all Irwin Allen television shows, even little stuff that are slightly obscure to some like Mr. Belvedere, Small Wonder, WKRP in Cincinnati, and Alien Nation series.

A channel featuring all that plus the possibility of old school Disney Afternoon stuff for me is a massive GET.

Isn't most of that stuff on Hulu? (and FOX owns MASH and Buffy?)

SpaceCowboy

If Disney buys 21st Cen. Fox, hopefully they'll allow them to still make movies for adult audiences like they did with Miramax. If it's under that kind of arrangement, Deadpool 2 should be fine.

Last edited:

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I'd prefer Disney buy out AMC Networks.

1. What major media company wouldn't want to own The Walking Dead?
2. IFC Films would serve as a suitable replacement for Miramax (this would also mean IFC Films ends its relationship with Paramount, like Miramax and Marvel Studios before them).

Makes you wonder why the government is fighting AT&T-Time Warner but not this

Last edited:

PF9

So as I am saying earlier, why wouldn't the government fight this but they would fight AT&T-Time Warner?

the greenman

So as I am saying earlier, why wouldn't the government fight this but they would fight AT&T-Time Warner?
I believe it's too controlling. If you OWN the cable company and 50% of the media content therein, you can essentially control how people think. Disney and FOX (only the entertainment media facet of FOX) is safer. So DISNEY is not controlling through the News as well.

PF9

Of course if the deal goes through Disney would own the rights to The Orville, a homage to Star Trek, a rival franchise to Disney's Star Wars, which could be a conflict of interest.

Would Disney sell the rights to The Orville to CBS (owners of the Star Trek brand) to alleviate this COI?

the greenman

Of course if the deal goes through Disney would own the rights to The Orville, a homage to Star Trek, a rival franchise to Disney's Star Wars, which could be a conflict of interest.

Would Disney sell the rights to The Orville to CBS (owners of the Star Trek brand) to alleviate this COI?
No. If Disney bought Paramount, that would be their rival. Or even Time Warner by owning both Marvel and DC.

Still wondering about the Batman '66 series by FOX, but clearly a WB IP. Also what about the Fantastic Four and The Thing Hanna Barbera stuff.

EDIT: For those unfamiliar. Hanna-Barbera owned both Fantastic Four and a seperate The Thing (yes Ben Grimm) animated series.
e24bc5215d8f7d7e2b2e31ac2a21f14b.jpg
4682245b555b1a7d151ef2d66d5a6bfa.jpg

Last edited:

PF9

Also if the deal goes through, TCF would in less than a year go from being DreamWorks Animation's distribution partner to being owned by DWA's mortal enemies.

As well, the deal would likely end the friendly relationship between the staffs of The Simpsons and South Park, as the latter show and its creators have been very critical of Disney at times, a notable example being "The Ring" (mind you this episode aired while DWA's movies were distributed by Paramount, like Comedy Central, the home of South Park, a subsidiary of Viacom; this episode actually aired over two weeks before Paramount released Monsters VS. Aliens). And I think the Simpsons staff knows this. I think they will do whatever it takes to keep the deal from going through in order to stay on good terms with South Park.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.

Featured Posts