Disney bought 21st Century Fox for $71.3 billion in stock

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
You misunderstand. Lionsgate could not AFFORD to buy Fox News. It is priceless as far as Murdoch is concerned. He'll never sell it and doesn't want to. That's why it is not a part of this deal. Disney and Lionsgate are never getting it. Either of them.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
What I'm saying is that the Fox network needs a new program supplier. Somehow. Murdoch can have his pick of the litter.

PF9

Do you have any ideas?

What I was trying to say was Murdoch's company could buy Lionsgate. TWC is basically a no-go for reasons you all know.

Lionsgate just released a cult hit in the My Little Pony Movie. TV wise, they already produce Kicking and Screaming for the Fox network, and their other hits include Nashville, OITNB, and Graves. Murdoch would certainly love to have his hands on Starz too.

wiley207

"Uh-oh, Simpsons predicted it! Simpsons predicted it!"
The-Simpsons.png

PF9

"Uh-oh, Simpsons predicted it! Simpsons predicted it!"
The-Simpsons.png

This is exactly what I said in an earlier post in this thread.

I actually proposed Disney launch an adult animation block ala AS on Disney XD prior to the news that Disney was in discussion to buy most of Fox's assets. My working title for the block was "The Bar" a reference to drinking establishments which prohibit underage patrons from drinking certain products and in certain cases even entering the establishment.

Now they'll have (likely) FXX for that purpose.

ShadowBeast

I actually proposed Disney launch an adult animation block ala AS on Disney XD prior to the news that Disney was in discussion to buy most of Fox's assets. My working title for the block was "The Bar" a reference to drinking establishments which prohibit underage patrons from drinking certain products and in certain cases even entering the establishment.
I think that would be a terrible idea. Just because CN did it, shouldn't mean Disney should as well. Disney XD is doing fine without a adult animation block.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
What I was trying to say was Murdoch's company could buy Lionsgate. TWC is basically a no-go for reasons you all know.

Lionsgate just released a cult hit in the My Little Pony Movie. TV wise, they already produce Kicking and Screaming for the Fox network, and their other hits include Nashville, OITNB, and Graves. Murdoch would certainly love to have his hands on Starz too.
That sounds like a decent idea, it should be some breath of fresh air for the network.

PF9

That sounds like a decent idea, it should be some breath of fresh air for the network.

Reservoir Dogs: Live? anyone? JK, first it would need to be made into a musical, second it would have to be very sanitized for network TV. Most QT fans wouldn't accept that.

There are other IPs a Murdoch-owned Lionsgate could tap into for the Fox network. Blair Witch comes to mind. John Wick as well. And maybe a Hunger Games prequel TV series.

Mandouga

I actually proposed Disney launch an adult animation block ala AS on Disney XD...

NO WAY, JOSÉ!!

Even if the Disney name isn't used (which I know it wouldn't be, so don't), it would still be counterproductive (as Nick Jr. found out the hard way with their NickMom block), especially where Disney is concerned. The last thing people need is another family network that's only a family network part of the time, and please spare me the "but the younger viewers should be in bed anyway" explanation, because it's ultimately irrelevant. Families all have their own way of handling bedtime and late TV. They don't need a cable network to be arbitrarily telling them these things. Also spare me the "but it's popular", or "but the Cartoon Network has been doing it for years" explanations. Just because something is "popular" (which can include something that's long running) doesn't mean it should be the standard for everyone else to follow. Other than that, "popular" is one of those words that may not mean what some people think it means.

Either way, I still hope this buyout doesn't happen (as of this writing, there has yet to be anything to confirm that it has).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
What I'm saying is that the Fox network needs a new program supplier. Somehow. Murdoch can have his pick of the litter.
The new program supplier would be Disney. That is what they are buying.

Fox won't buy Lionsgate because they aren't looking to stay in the entertainment business.

PF9

NO WAY, JOSÉ!!

Even if the Disney name isn't used (which I know it wouldn't be, so don't), it would still be counterproductive (as Nick Jr. found out the hard way with their NickMom block), especially where Disney is concerned. The last thing people need is another family network that's only a family network part of the time, and please spare me the "but the younger viewers should be in bed anyway" explanation, because it's ultimately irrelevant. Families all have their own way of handling bedtime and late TV. They don't need a cable network to be arbitrarily telling them these things. Also spare me the "but it's popular", or "but the Cartoon Network has been doing it for years" explanations. Just because something is "popular" (which can include something that's long running) doesn't mean it should be the standard for everyone else to follow. Other than that, "popular" is one of those words that may not mean what some people think it means.

Either way, I still hope this buyout doesn't happen (as of this writing, there has yet to be anything to confirm that it has).

An adult animation block on Disney XD would trigger mass controversy.

Apparently you didn't read that FXX would be the network to air the adult animation block if the deal goes through.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
This is the argument you were making. This is the argument people were responding to.
Apparently you didn't read that FXX would be the network to air the adult animation block if the deal goes through.
I think the only one with reading comprehension problems here is you.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-10_13-4-15.gif
    upload_2017-12-10_13-4-15.gif
    35 bytes · Views: 42

PF9

Nevertheless, I think this deal could change the entertainment industry as we know it.

Could Disney possibly fold TCF TV into ABC Studios to cut costs (which would put shows like Modern Family under the ABC brand)? It's possible. Between 2004-2006, Viacom (and then CBS Corporation) folded Viacom Productions, Paramount Television, Spelling Television, and (essentially) Big Ticket Television into CBS Productions (which became CBS Paramount Television and now CBS Television Studios) for the same reason.

Anything is possible. Disney may keep also TCF TV and use it for non-ABC shows the combined company produces (like Criminal Minds and Code Black), using the ABC Studios name for ABC shows only (which would, again, put shows like Modern Family under the ABC Studios name).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I would like to publicly apologize to PF9. I have been far ruder to him in this thread than was warranted. I also apologized via PM but I would also like to let the rest of the board know I was out of line. I am sorry, PF9.

PF9

The merger could also lead to a realignment of films between labels. Future family-friendly films planned for the 20th Century Fox name could be shifted to Walt Disney Pictures and WDP could move its future PG-13 productions (except POTC) to Fox.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
The merger could also lead to a realignment of films between labels. Future family-friendly films planned for the 20th Century Fox name could be shifted to Walt Disney Pictures and WDP could move its future PG-13 productions (except POTC) to Fox.
While not oficially confirmed in the deal, it might be a possibility.

PF9

I really don't like the idea of PG-13 movies under the Disney name, except POTC which is based on a Disney parks attraction. Most of the PG-13 movies under WDP have underperformed in the box office. So the ability to transfer most PG-13 releases to Fox would help Disney in the long run. Possibly the MCU and Lucasfilm movies can be co-branded with Fox too, essentially returning Star Wars to its original home studio.

Last edited:

Mandouga

Oh, I read it, all right. The reason I didn't bring it up is because I'm against the merger, as I said, and even if the merger were happen, my previous point still stands, FXX or not.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts