Disney bought 21st Century Fox for $71.3 billion in stock

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Oh, I read it, all right. The reason I didn't bring it up is because I'm against the merger, as I said, and even if the merger were happen, my previous point still stands, FXX or not.

I'm not a fan of the merger either but it's something I might have to accept.

As detailed in some of my more recent posts, several TV shows might change which production studio they are under based on what network they are on, and what studio Disney would release a movie under would also depend on its rating. It would really be interesting if new Alvin and the Chipmunks movies would end up being made under the Walt Disney Pictures banner, given Disney used to release the 1980s cartoon on VHS from 1992-96.

ToonJay723

Staff member
I really don't like the idea of PG-13 movies under the Disney name, except POTC which is based on a Disney parks attraction. Most of the PG-13 movies under WDP have underperformed in the box office. So the ability to transfer most PG-13 releases to Fox would help Disney in the long run. Possibly the MCU and Lucasfilm movies can be co-branded with Fox too, essentially returning Star Wars to its original home studio.
Most PG-13 and R rated Disney films aren't under the Disney name. They're usually on Touchstone, Miramax, Marvel, or Lucasfilm.

PF9

Disney sold Miramax a few years back if I recall. And they don't really use Touchstone anymore, not since DreamWorks (live-action) left Disney for Universal.

Light Lucario

Staff member
This is exactly what I said in an earlier post in this thread.

I actually proposed Disney launch an adult animation block ala AS on Disney XD prior to the news that Disney was in discussion to buy most of Fox's assets. My working title for the block was "The Bar" a reference to drinking establishments which prohibit underage patrons from drinking certain products and in certain cases even entering the establishment.

Now they'll have (likely) FXX for that purpose.

Even if they do end up buying Fox, I have a hard time seeing Disney make an adult animation block, let alone putting it on Disney XD. Disney is widely associated as being family friendly. They are involved with non-family friendly movies, but they release them under different companies instead of under the Disney brand. An adult animation block would be widely out of place on Disney XD. I don't know if they'd really need to make their own version of Adult Swim on any of their channels either. A good number of their shows and most of their movies appeal to older fans to where they probably wouldn't really need to make a block dedicated specifically towards adults.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Disney sold Miramax a few years back if I recall. And they don't really use Touchstone anymore, not since DreamWorks (live-action) left Disney for Universal.
The next Touchstone release is slated for 2019. The brand is rarely used these days.

jaylop97

Staff member
The next Touchstone release is slated for 2019. The brand is rarely used these days.
Usually it is used to produce more mature movies, but given the lack of movies Disney makes it definitely isn't doing much these days.

the greenman

Usually it is used to produce more mature movies, but given the lack of movies Disney makes it definitely isn't doing much these days.
Lack of Disney movies? They have Disney animation, Live Action remakes of older animated films, MCU, Pirates, Disney Sports films.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

jaylop97

Staff member
Lack of Disney movies? They have Disney animation, Live Action remakes of older animated films, MCU, Pirates, Disney Sports films.

Messed up the idea there, I meant Disney is more involved in making movies these days, and Touchstone isn't because of that, given how Disney is busy in making the material you listed.

Dudley

Staff member
I remember hearing a long time ago, that Disney has greatly reduced the amount of movies they release in a year, in an attempt to save money and focus on tentpole films. Which is why the Touchstone brand became so underused, and was just a label meant for the live-action Dreamworks deal.
Disney’s goal is to acquire Fox’s film and TV library. it’s not known if they want to be a more serious, dominant force when it comes to releasing theatrical films. This deal could lead to less movies getting released (which considering this year’s box office performance, isn’t the worst move), but that means a lot of movies planned for release by Fox over the next three years could be scrapped.
However this would allow mini-majors like Lionsgate to get a stronger foothold in film distribution, and pick up Disney-Fox’s scraps.

Going back to the adult animation block, I think Disney will make a block of adult animated cartoons. Just not on anything Disney branded. They’ll definitely try to compete with Adult Swim, and start a similar block on FX, FXX, or even a more female geared one on Freeform.
The huge downside is that Adult Swim makes a lot of money airing those Fox shows, and Disney could turn down deals to renew the right to broadcast it (or raise the broadcast rights price significantly), Causing Disney’s expanded line of channels to be the exclusive home to these shows.

For good or bad, the film and television industry’s landscape is going to go through some major changes. I’m really excited to see it all happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Simpson's World is going to be super awkward in Universal now. They should totally open a Bob's Burgers in Disney World though.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Can’t they team up with the film rights holder, like Marvel did with Sony for Spider-Man?
Maybe, but I can't recall off the top of my head if they have any bad blood with Constantin like they do with Universal.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
Hopefully, whatever deal happens will lead to the best outcome.

After that last movie's profits, I'd think they would at least want to work with Marvel at this point.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
If Constantin films could sell back the rights they probably would by now since they've had a lot of financial troubles, it's likely they couldn't without Fox's permission.

PF9

Speaking of F4, WB owns the rights to a couple of cartoon series they have been reluctant to show since Disney bought Marvel. Namely the Hanna-Barbera adaptation of the Fantastic 4 and the Thing solo series from 1979. They also own through New Line a trilogy of Blade movies and spinoff TV series.

Disney would own the rights to the 1960s Batman TV show and movie by buying TCF. Which Disney could find awkward.

So Disney and WB could work out a trade. Disney would give WB the rights to the 1960s live-action Batman franchise, and in return, WB would hand over H-B's Marvel cartoons and New Line's Blade franchise to Disney.

That sounds like a good deal.

PF9

I feel like WB already surrendered the Blade rights to Marvel Disney. Remember they released that anime.

WB still owns the films and TV shows New Line made I think

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts