"History of Comics on Film" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rick Hodge

I just wanted to add my name to the people who've enjoyed this series. I did have a specific question concerning the episode about "Marvel Superheroes". One of the series starred Thor & adapted the story of hIs first encounter with Hercules. I was curious if you were aware of a different version that was done on an episode (or 2? I forget,actually) of "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys"? Or is it something you're going to cover at a later date?

Derekwc

Let's Go wreck it!
I just wanted to add my name to the people who've enjoyed this series. I did have a specific question concerning the episode about "Marvel Superheroes". One of the series starred Thor & adapted the story of hIs first encounter with Hercules. I was curious if you were aware of a different version that was done on an episode (or 2? I forget,actually) of "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys"? Or is it something you're going to cover at a later date?

Thanks for the kind words Rick!

I see the Thor and Hercules encounter in Hercules: The Legendary Journeys takes place in Season 5 of the Kevin Sorbo series.

I wasn't ever a regular watcher of the show, but since you've brought it to my attention, I may give it a look in the future,

Thanks again for watching!

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Embarassed to say that I only watched one episode in 2009, but I've been going through the episodes today and just got done with the Aquaman one.

Now I'd have to say that it's not necessarily his powers that made him ineffective on Superfriends, but that he didn't have a BSP approved way of apprehending the bad guy. In other shows he could get into a fist fight and display super strength, whereas fisticuffs was a no-no on even the more action oriented episodes.

So in short, Aquaman's problem was the lack of a non violent means of catching the bad guy out of the water.

Derekwc

Let's Go wreck it!
Embarassed to say that I only watched one episode in 2009, but I've been going through the episodes today and just got done with the Aquaman one.

Now I'd have to say that it's not necessarily his powers that made him ineffective on Superfriends, but that he didn't have a BSP approved way of apprehending the bad guy. In other shows he could get into a fist fight and display super strength, whereas fisticuffs was a no-no on even the more action oriented episodes.

So in short, Aquaman's problem was the lack of a non violent means of catching the bad guy out of the water.

I've always liked the way that Aquaman was portrayed by Marv Wolfman when fighting Deathstroke. They acknowledge his strength given that he can withstand the pressures of the Ocean floors.

I just wanted to reflect that BSP really gives the lasting unfortunate impression to the general non-comic audience in SF that Aquaman is ineffective. To tie that into the comedic clips that I would eventually show.

Rick Hodge

I can also tell of an incident I saw at a comic book store a few months ago in which a parent showed his kid a picture of Aquaman and the kid said, "It's Mermaid Man!" That's right, the character from "Spongebob". Of course, I've seen those cartoons and they parody the Aquaman cartoons pretty faithfully (and takes a few shots at Batman and other Comics also.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
I just wanted to reflect that BSP really gives the lasting unfortunate impression to the general non-comic audience in SF that Aquaman is ineffective. To tie that into the comedic clips that I would eventually show.

Understood.

BTW, any chance of:

1. A video on the Plastic Man cartoon (Plus the pilot pitch that was on Disc 2 of the Series Set)?
2. A video detailing the Scooby Doo/Josie and the Pussycats crossover on The New Scooby Movie?

Derekwc

Let's Go wreck it!
Understood.

BTW, any chance of:

1. A video on the Plastic Man cartoon (Plus the pilot pitch that was on Disc 2 of the Series Set)?
2. A video detailing the Scooby Doo/Josie and the Pussycats crossover on The New Scooby Movie?

1. For sure. For both.
2. Not likely. I feel since I mentioned it in the first Josie video that's probably enough.

Thanks for watching Antiyonder !

My Top Ten Favorite Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) Stories

My Top Ten Favorite Transformers Stories

Moriarty

The Napoleon of Crime
do not trust Derekwc, for he has been replaced by a Skrull! :p

Zorak Masaki

While we're at it, are you going to cover "Superman's 50th Anniversary"? Its a bizzare, campy special from 1988 hosted by Dana Carvey that operates under the pretense that superman actually exists (we even visit "metropolis").

Derekwc

Let's Go wreck it!
While we're at it, are you going to cover "Superman's 50th Anniversary"? Its a bizzare, campy special from 1988 hosted by Dana Carvey that operates under the pretense that superman actually exists (we even visit "metropolis").

I will admit having not considered this special, but it'd be easy enough to include I suppose.

do not trust Derekwc, for he has been replaced by a Skrull! :p

Who's gonna trust anything the Winter Soldier has to say?!?!?:p

Derekwc

Let's Go wreck it!

History Of Comics On Film Part 47 (The New Original Wonder Woman)

History Of Comics On Film Part 48 (The New Adventures of Batman)

Also please enter to win an Iron Man Extremis Motion Comic DVD all throughout the month of September!

All you have to do to enter is place a comment under your favorite episode
on the blogspot! Or follow me on Twitter and Tweet me which episode is your favorite episode and why!

Listen here for the story behind Blue Cupcakes!

Here's something on current events!

Derek Unplugged On DC's New 52

History Of Comics On Film Part 49 (The Incredible Hulk)

History Of Comics On Film Part 50 (The Amazing Spider-Man)

History Of Comics On Film Part 45.5(It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Fone to this day vouches for this place and I’ll never understand why. I didn’t ask for him to speak on my behalf, but he did, and that was the true nail in the coffin for his account here.

He stuck his neck out for practically everyone here and the boards want you to pretend he never existed.
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.
Somebody please give me a show that I won't ever regret watching.
Samurai Champloo, $5 on Apple TV. I know the series is 20 years old which is, like, 100 years in anime world, but definitely worth the buy!

Featured Posts