"History of Comics on Film" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rick Hodge

I just remembered something that may be of interest to your series. When I saw that you did the last Archie/Sabrina series, I was reminded of a very rare pilot that was made during the late 70's. I actually think it was 2 pilots. Here are 2 Internet Movie Database web pages discussing them:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1291664/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0768855/

Mark Evanier also discussed it on his blog in his old archives from Sept 27, 2003 & here's that page:
http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2003_09_27.html

All I can say is they were very obscure & I barely remember them myself

Derekwc

Let's Go wreck it!
I just remembered something that may be of interest to your series. When I saw that you did the last Archie/Sabrina series, I was reminded of a very rare pilot that was made during the late 70's. I actually think it was 2 pilots. Here are 2 Internet Movie Database web pages discussing them:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1291664/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0768855/

Mark Evanier also discussed it on his blog in his old archives from Sept 27, 2003 & here's that page:
http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2003_09_27.html

All I can say is they were very obscure & I barely remember them myself

Thanks Rick. I've actually completed a video for the 2nd of the two pilots, which will be released very shortly. However, I have never been able to procure a copy of the first pilot, but attempt to fill folks in in the upcoming video.

If anyone out there has some nice copies of either, (even the one I do have a copy of is pretty poor) it would be very much appreciated.

EDIT:
Here's the latest Video -
History Of Comics On Film Part 51(Archie and Sabrina Surprise Package)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick Hodge

There's something of interest I just noticed from the It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman! episode, David Wayne played Dr. Abner Sedgwick, best known as the Mad Hatter from the Adam West Batman.

Derekwc

Let's Go wreck it!

Rick Hodge

At the risk of making a pest of myself, I am curious about what you criteria is for series. I know that you've made a limit to just comic books (not including comic strip or pulp characters). Was there any consideration for the old Harvey Comics characters. Of course, I've never been quite sure if they started in the comics or the cartoons, or if you'll only consider Casper or Richie Rich when their turns come up. If they do count, I want to let you know of a 1957 Jerry Lewis movie called "The Sad Sack" based on the comic character (as I said, not sure if it's strip or book) but was curious if you considered & did research on them?

regards,
Rick Hodge

Derekwc

Let's Go wreck it!
At the risk of making a pest of myself, I am curious about what you criteria is for series. I know that you've made a limit to just comic books (not including comic strip or pulp characters). Was there any consideration for the old Harvey Comics characters. Of course, I've never been quite sure if they started in the comics or the cartoons, or if you'll only consider Casper or Richie Rich when their turns come up. If they do count, I want to let you know of a 1957 Jerry Lewis movie called "The Sad Sack" based on the comic character (as I said, not sure if it's strip or book) but was curious if you considered & did research on them?

regards,
Rick Hodge

Don't worry, dude. You're not a pest at all.

I've made exception to the rules with Isis, but usually my criteria is Comic Book First, generally American comic books (I will certainly cover Judge Dredd and other 2000AD type stuff though).

So by my silly personal criteria Sad Sack was first published as a comic strip. It'd be why in my head I probably wouldn't do G.I. Joe, Conan or Transformers. They all had comic books, yet they were first in pulps or toys or what have you.

If I did ever research to make a video about Sad Sack, I would probably treat it like my Green Hornet videos. Done in a similar style, but separate from the "official" History of Comics on Film.

I just never liked writing that down, because now maybe when I don't stick to my own criteria, (like with Isis a tv series first) you guys can all yell at me. :)

I plan to cover Richie Rich, but not Casper.

Though I suppose I should have covered Baby Huey, so you've got me there.

Derekwc

Let's Go wreck it!
History Of Comics On Film Part 54(Supaidaman)

Part fifty-four of an ongoing series about the History of Comic Books that have been adapted for movies and television. This particular segment covers the Toei produced television series from
Japan called Supaidaman, that aired from 1978 to 1979 !

FYI Run time is about 41 minutes.

Blip TV Direct Link

History Of Comics On Film Part 55 (Doctor Strange)

My Top Ten Favorite Spider-Man Stories

New Top Ten Blogs are Coming Soon!

Thoom and Derek's 5th Podcast (Amazing Spider-Man 2012)

My Top Ten Favorite Batman Stories

My Top Ten Favorite Bane Stories

Toddman

Hulk not good with words.
These are always awesome, Derek. The level of research you put into these (or is it all stuff you already have committed to memory?) never fails to astound me. By far one of my favorite things on the internet!

Toddman

Derekwc

Let's Go wreck it!
Thanks Toddman. I'd say it's equal parts memory and research. Or possibly skewed greater in the favor of research as I sometimes need to research my memory. :)

Derekwc

Let's Go wreck it!

Toddman

Hulk not good with words.
History Of Comics On Film Part 57 (Challenge of the Super Friends)

I'm gonna wait a little bit before I post this one below on the blog, but it's all up and ready for watching should anybody here not want to wait.

History Of Comics On Film Part 58 (Super Friends 1978)

Pretty much this is the same show, but the two half hours had enough different material I felt justified into making it into two separate videos like those Filmation ones from earlier.

Feedback and thoughts are appreciated.

Top-notch work as always, Derek. Given how often the format changed between each season, it's great you've treated each Superfriends show as its own series. Definitely one of my all-time favorites.

And speaking of my all-time favs, I'm eager to catch your take on the first Superman movie in the next installment.

And speaking of all-time favs (again), I started to look forward to how long it will take until you're able to spotlight Batman: The Animated Series. I then realized there's somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 more comic-to-film properties that were produced between 1978 and 1992....

So I'll just have to cool my heels on that one. Hopefully you'll still be inspired enough to last all the way through "Fred and Barney Meet the Thing", "Sable" and "Fish Police" to make it to BTAS (and beyond):).

Toddman

Derekwc

Let's Go wreck it!
Top-notch work as always, Derek. Given how often the format changed between each season, it's great you've treated each Superfriends show as its own series. Definitely one of my all-time favorites.

And speaking of my all-time favs, I'm eager to catch your take on the first Superman movie in the next installment.

And speaking of all-time favs (again), I started to look forward to how long it will take until you're able to spotlight Batman: The Animated Series. I then realized there's somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 more comic-to-film properties that were produced between 1978 and 1992....

So I'll just have to cool my heels on that one. Hopefully you'll still be inspired enough to last all the way through "Fred and Barney Meet the Thing", "Sable" and "Fish Police" to make it to BTAS (and beyond):).

Toddman

Thanks for watching and all the feedback Toddman! The Thing ring will do its thing soon enough. :)

Derekwc

Let's Go wreck it!
Was the Lone Ranger originally a comic book character? I thought he started life as a radio serial?

He did start out as a Radio program. So did the Green Hornet. That's why these aren't part of History of Comics on Film "proper" and separate videos, albeit done in similar style. Hence the "associated with" tag in the infro.

dth1971

Will Conan the Barbarian be part of the History of Comics on Film since the first Conan movie came out in 1982?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts