International Disney Networks Thread Part 10

Francisque

It has always been 24/7 in the UK, the only Disney channel to be so at that time

They wanted to compete with CN and Nicktoons in particular, although a bit failing at that; you could DEFINITELY tell with the 2001-2-3 continuities they were keen on producing a kind of hybrid Disney Cartoon Network, with popular shows being overplayed (especially Recess) and classic Disney toons being given less of an air space compared to its launch in 2000, plus loads of thematic blocks
But toon premieres were a rather very small part of the schedule anyway, and the biggest toon premieres would go to DC first; this meant that it was a repeat-heavy channel

So it didn't work out much for them, especially because of it being available only to premium subscribers; with the shift from the "premium" packages for DC and Playhouse, it made a lot of sense to turn the less popular DIsney channel into a more movie-oriented channel, so that DC could become a strong competitor to Nickelodeon

With its closure, it took a lot of time for DC UK to be 24/7, as Cinemagic was 6:00-0:00 (and it made sense, because of its content; not even Cinemagic France was 24/7, but 6:00-1:00)

Cinemagic UK still played a lot of Recess, before it and other non-movie content were slowly being relegated to minor or very minor time slots
As people expected Cinemagic to have movies, and not a lot of non-movie stuff, especially Recess

RegularCapital

Staff member
Was this around the time that Toon Disney 24/76 to compete with the new 24/7 Fox Kids and CN?

Toon Disney UK was always 24/7 since launch, it was Disney Channel and Playhouse Disney that weren't.

Fox Kids was already effectively owned by Disney and wasn't really 24/7 until Disney XD launched as Jetix had teleshopping (although Fox Kids went 24 hours in 2003), also Toon Disney was premium with no ads, so as long as people are subscribed to Disney Channel or Sky Movies (with Disney bonus), Disney didn't have to care what Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon was doing to gain audience share.

Francisque

I'm pretty much sure that Cinemagic would air these non movie shows during the evening hours of 19:00-00:00
Somehow wrong
19:00 was a pretty strong highlight for movies, actually

As 21:00 was, 17:00 were too

This in its initial phase; then, on weekends and festivities, movies would also be played at 9:00, 11:00, 13:00, 15:00, with non-movie stuff being played in-between

Later on , starting more in 2008-9 up until its death, movie would start take over other time slots too, leaving less time for shows like Recess and Kim Possible, mostly at the likes of 22:30-23:00
People probably started expecting more from a "movie" channel, and probably Recess was beginning to be well past its sell-by date (which was played quite a bit, being the Friends of the Disney channels)

Similar moves for other Disney Cinemagic's too

Cinemagic France would also air Honey, I shrunk the kids the TV show, which was a nice touch I believe, since it started off as a movie and screamed "classic Disney Channel"

BTW: in its earlier days, the movie selection on Cinemagic UK I believe was quite poor, with few great movies and a lot a lot of poorly rated sequels! (2006-7 in particular)
This started later to change, and I believe Sky Cinema Disney played an even better selection of movies

You could definitely tell they were not initially ready for a proper movie channel (hence the "mixed formula", since , before, they mostly had. played one movie only on weekdays and only slightly more on weekdays, on the Disney Channel

Going from a "basic" situation to like 5/6 movies a day, was dramatic and they didn't often know how to fill the schedule, as playing "great classics" everyday (not just sequels) costed quite a bit

Toon Disney UK was always 24/7 since launch, it was Disney Channel and Playhouse Disney that weren't.

Fox Kids was already effectively owned by Disney and wasn't 24/7 until Disney XD launched, also Toon Disney was premium with no ads, so as long as people are subscribed to Disney Channel or Sky Movies (with Disney bonus), Disney didn't have to care what Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon was doing to gain audience share.
Fox Kids was indeed owned by Disney, but the companies were separate, so there was a kind of competiton I believe

In a way or the other, you could definitely tell some of the moves of Toon Disney made were intended for competition against the likes of NickToons
They couldn't go very far, Disney Channel itself in its premium form was their main focus, and was struggling as it was

Last edited:

Review Metabee

Who gets stuck with all the bad luck?
Somehow wrong
19:00 was a pretty highlight for movies, actually

As 21:00 was, 17:00 were too

This in its initial phase; then, on weekends and festivities, movies would also be played at 9:00, 11:00, 13:00, 15:00, with non-movie stuff being played in-between

Later on , starting more in 2008-9 up until its death, movie would start take over other time slots too, leaving less time for shows like Recess and Kim Possible, mostly at the likes of 22:30-23:00
People probably started expecting more from a "movie" channel, and probably Recess was beginning to be well past its sell-by date (which was played quite a bit, being the Friends of the Disney channels)

Similar moves for other Disney Cinemagic's too

Cinemagic France would also air Honey, I shrunk the kids the TV show, which was a nice touch I believe, since it started off as a movie and screamed "classic Disney Channel"

BTW: in its earlier days, the movie selection on Cinemagic UK I believe was quite poor, with few great movies and a lot a lot of poorly rated sequels! (2006-7 in particular)
This started later to change, and I believe Sky Cinema Disney played a better selection of movies

You could definitely tell they were not initially ready for a proper movie channel (hence the "mixed formula", since , before, they mostly played one movie only on weekdays and only slightly more on Disney Channel

Going from a "basic" situation to like 5/6 movies a day, was dramatic and they didn't often know how to fill the schedule, as playing "great classics" everyday (not just sequels) costed quite a bit

Fox Kids was indeed owned by Disney, but the companies were separate, so there was a kind of competiton I believe

In a way or the other, you could definitely tell some of the moves of Toon Disney made were intended for competition against the likes of NickToons
They couldn't go very far, Disney Channel itself in its premium form was their main focus, and was struggling as it was
It's quite interesting that the disney channels loved Recess even well into the late 2000s, another show that Cinemagic loved till it shut down was Timon and Pumbaa. International feeds somewhat loved the show until early 2010s

Francisque

It's quite interesting that the disney channels loved Recess even well into the late 2000s, another show that Cinemagic loved till it shut down was Timon and Pumbaa. International feeds somewhat loved the show until early 2010s
That screams childhood for me

Recess was immensely popular especially on some feeds (e.g. the UK ones, Toon Disney was overfilled with it), but obviously in the late oughties it wasn't as popular as it used to be
Society was starting to change immensely because of an increase of Internet in everyday life and social media, as references for kids including school references at that time, so no surprise

Timon and Pumbaa was popular, but definitely not as popular: it was mainly something for the UK feed and some others to play at more minor time slots
It was mildly popular though in Italy, in the early 2000s

RegularCapital

Staff member

Which is why I used the word "effectively", Jetix Europe was almost 75% controlled by Disney, which meant they had the final say, and Disney also owned most of the programming and all the branding. Disney didn't change much to the structure of the company it inherited from Fox/Saban until Disney XD became a thing and some things still remain (especially regarding the Netherlands and Poland), as I mentioned before, Fox Kids Europe was only a separate public company so it could get shareholder investment from its IPO to fund its European expansion.

The Disney Channels and Jetix were different but were chasing a different audience, as Jetix was mostly for non-Disney programming, mainly action aimed at boys, it was ad supported which carried on during the days of Disney XD, even though Disney Channel remained ad-less.

JulianRO

Review Metabee

Which is why I used the word "effectively", Jetix Europe was almost 75% controlled by Disney, which meant they had the final say, and Disney also owned most of the programming and all the branding. Disney didn't change much to the structure of the company it inherited from Fox/Saban until Disney XD became a thing and some things still remain (especially regarding the Netherlands and Poland), as I mentioned before, Fox Kids Europe was only a separate public company so it could get shareholder investment from its IPO to fund its European expansion.

The Disney Channels and Jetix were different but were chasing a different audience, as Jetix was mostly for non-Disney programming, mainly action aimed at boys, it was ad supported which carried on during the days of Disney XD, even though Disney Channel remained ad-less.
Jetix/Fox Kids was also more 3rd party reliant (about most Fox Kids' schedule in 2002 was third party content) whereas the Disney Channels had little to no third party content.

JulianRO

Yes, I've also looked at both sites yesterday, this is a curious case indeed!
I honestly think it's 99% an error, no one announced that Disney XD is gonna come back in Greece.

I've seen some similar cases with other channels but I don't remember their names right now.

Review Metabee

Jetix/Fox Kids was also more 3rd party reliant (about most Fox Kids' schedule in 2002 was third party content) whereas the Disney Channels had little to no third party content.
The 3rd party schedule of Fox Kids made it a diverse network, whereas Toon Disney didn't really have a diverse amount of progamming because all of it's shows besides 1-2 were under Disney Television Animation.

JulianRO

Does anybody know which Disney Channel feed is in this video?
It seems not only Scandinavia aired Sweet Valley High on Disney Channel.

Saban changed its name to BVS when disney bought them

BVS stands for Buena Vista Studios and Saban International Paris shortened their name to SIP Animation

RegularCapital

Staff member
Disney Channel UK, they aired Sweet Valley High.

Here's a schedule, but that logo and new DOGs are a dead giveaway.

JulianRO

Damn, I didn't know that the UK feed also aired it!
I'm curious if other feeds did the same, besides UK and Nordic.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts