"Jellystone!" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this Series!

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 4 16.0%

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • **1/2

Votes: 1 4.0%

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • *1/2

• 1/2

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
The first episode of the new season ripped off La Brea.

• Informative
Reactions: Moe

prpis

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs
Overall, this was enjoyable for me. I have a feeling that this is probably the last season of Jellystone, but 3 seasons is a good run.
i believe there will be one more drop some time in the future, this was just the first batch. 40 episodes were ordered for this batch and we've only seen the first half. rumor has it there might be a CN xover episode in the next batch.

Silverstar

Kooky Spooky
^^The CN crossover isn't a rumor; Greg Eagles (the voice of Grim) confirmed on Twitter that it's happening. It's said to be a half-hour special. This crop of episodes is season 3A; that ep will likely be in season 3B.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Jellystone’s covered bases previously left untapped for quite some time. Giving even the slightest acknowledgement of inspiration, and how they truly got here - makes this the most significant ep of the series to date.

And that’s something I won’t back down from.
Seriously, even if it's just clips of the episode, this is one episode that C2C fans need to see, be it, Andy and George reprising their roles,
reference to Cartoon Planet and the Brak Show, and an ending that would fit perfectly in an episode of C2C.

Goldstar!

All right-y!
So, I just found out that Dick Dastardly here was voiced by Dwight Schultz, the voice of Mung Dahl on Chowder and the actor who played Captain "Howlin' Mad" Murdock on The A-Team. I don't even recognize his voice. Once again, Dwight Schultz does a voice on one of C.H. Greenblatt's shows. Nice.

Also, any "hardcore" anime would be heavily edited on Disney Channel, even more so than on Cartoon Network, so it hardly seems worth it.

Last edited:

Mejo

Ada-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-beddy-ya!
I heard you guys raving about Jellystone lately, but can I ask you a question: should I give Jellystone a fair chance?

I remember watching the first 10 episodes back when it first came out, and I was very disappointed with it. I mean, I wanted to like it. I wanted to like so badly, but it just didn’t click with me.

I’m not sure if the show is gotten better or not since I never seen the rest of show after the first 10 episodes I watched back in 2021, but let me know. Should I give Jellystone a fair chance? What episodes should I recommend?

I've heard C.H. Greenblatt first pitched this show to Warner Bros as basically Looney Tunes Cartoons but with Hanna Barbera characters. I really wish we gotten that version instead of the show we have now. Don't get me wrong, while there are some episodes I really like, the show ain't my cup of tea. I do like a lot of the cameos though.

(Also, if you really interested, here's a blog post from old Hanna Barbera cartoons blog Yowp, who gives his thoughts of the announcement of the show back in 2021)

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Hey everyone. It's been a while since the last time I talk about Jellystone, but a lot of people have been talking about Season 3 so far, so I want to give my two cents on this show.

Let me get this out of the way. It's no secret that I'm not the biggest fan of Jellystone all that much. I was very excited when it was first announced. CH Greenblatt created a show that stars the Hanna Barbara characters, in the style of Cartoon Network City, as a TV show, has got me sold.

Then, I watch the first season on Max when it first came out in 2021, and......(sigh)...I was very disappointed. While there are some decent things I like about it, but everything else, did not left a good impression on me at all.

I already talked the series in my review a couple of years ago, so here's a refresher.

I remember watching the first episode of Season 1 left a bad taste in my mouth mostly because of how annoying it is, and kinda stupid to me. I mean, come on? Yogi Bear having a nuclear stomach? It's ridiculous. And don't even get me started on Augie Doggie's Fruit Salad song. I know some people love that song, and that's fine, but I'm sorry, Augie Doggie's Fruit Salad song give me Kids Next Door Rainbow Monkeys PTSD that was just makes me cringe to listen to. I was like, "NO!! NOOOO!!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!!" I absolutely hated that song. It was so annoying to me.

Another thing I didn't like about the show was the writing and its characters, for the most part. The writing for the first season was mid. It is supposed a wacky slice-of-life comedy that featured the Hanna Barbara characters doing wacky, fun stuff. I'm a massive sucker for light-hearted comedies and Jellystone is the prefect show that fits for the premise. The problem is the writing felt very bland and safe. It didn't pushed the envelope. I was left bored to tears watching most of the episodes. I was waiting for any kind of jokes to make me laugh, but none of them even land for me. As for the characters, they were very hit and miss with me. Cindy Bear was cool, really love Doggie Daddy, everyone else was a mixed bag. Yogi, Boo Boo, and to some extent Loopy de Loop were fine, the rest I'm not too crazy about. They're either not interesting or just kinda annoying.

Lastly, the biggest problem I had with Jellystone was its humor. Coming from someone who grew up watching Chowder and Hanna Barbara cartoons on Cartoon Network and Boomerang, I expected Jellystone to have wacky, idiosyncratic, charming, and quirky humor that make me laugh. Except,....it doesn't. The jokes are not funny. I did not laugh once. I find the hip and trendy social media references to be very unnecessary. I absolutely hate the toilet humor. To me, the humor was the main thing that made me quit Jellystone. If the show didn't impressed me so far, then there's no point for me sticking around.

Keep in mind, that was back during Season 1. Now, years later with Season 2 and 3, I was actually giving the show a fair chance because a lot of people online going crazy over more Hanna Barbara characters making cameos in certain episodes. Then, I watch Season 2 and Season 3 just about a week ago, and I just have to say....Season 2 is FANTASTIC!!! It's a massive improvement over the first season. When I first saw Quick Draw McGraw doing his good ol' El Kabong heroine, I was surprised and very happy about it, because the crew of Jellystone not only respect the source material, but making it funny and charming. It wasn't just another generic 6-11 kiddie show that happened to had Hanna Barbara characters in it. It was a Hanna Barbara cartoon, that stars the Hanna Barbara characters, that looks and feels like a Hanna Barbara cartoon for a new generation, you know what I mean?

The humor has gotten so much better. I laugh a lot more than Season 1. The plots were kind of fun and charming. I started to like the characters a lot more. Jabberjaw and Loopey de Loop are amazing BFFs. I love them. I actually started to like Auggie Doggie, Shag Bear, and Yakky Doodle Ducky. They're so adorable. The voice acting has gotten better, the animation has gotten better, and I'm so happy that Jellystone has gotten better with its second season. With cameos, The Jetsons and surprisingly Scooby Doo were the main highlights for me. Though, I'm still kinda miffed on not bringing Secret Squirrel and The Flintstones in S2 (Yes, they had Marackel Mole, but still). Even though the hip and trendy social media references are still present in S2, but they're no where near as bad as Season 1.

As for Season 3, it was....good. Not great, but it was okay to me. I felt the jokes were not as funny compared to Season 2 and it did comes off as very repetitive for my tastes, but sometimes it did give me a chuckle. While everything else was fine, but it could've done better. The main hightlight of Season 3 was, of course, the cameos. The best cameos for me (and a lot other people) was the Space Ghost cameo. Bringing back the cast from Space Ghost Coast to Coast was a massive treat to see. When I heard George Lowe's voiced Space Ghost again, I was marked out because we haven't from him for a long time. Andy Meril did fantastic as Brak as always. Even though C. Martin Croker is no longer with us since 2016, Jim Conroy did a good job voicing Zorak. Same with Bernardo DePaula voicing Moltar. Personally, I don't know how CH Greenblatt managed to get away with by bringing in the Coast to Coast cast onto Jellystone, but apparently he did.

Besides that, Season 3 was alright. Although, I heard the second half of Season 3 is going to have another crossover episode featuring classic Cartoon Network characters. So, this is gonna be quite interesting. So, we'll see how it turns out.

So yeah, I actually do like Jellystone. CH Greenblatt is back to his A-game again. Watching Jellystone really does remind me of how charming the Hanna Barbara cartoons were, and garner much more appreciation for them. Even though it started out extremely rough, it has gotten so much better that it feels like a love letter to Hanna Barbara in general. You can bad-mouth about Hanna Barbara all you want, but let's not forget that they did left a massive impact on the animation industry and help change a lot of people lives and started great careers. If it wasn't for Hanna Barbara, we wouldn't have Cartoon Network and Boomerang in the first place.

Jellystone is definitely a great tribute series. Even though it's not perfect, but it definitely do deserve much more attention. I'm looking forward to the second half of Season 3, and hopefully they stuck the landing.

That's my two cents.

Last edited:

Silverstar

Kooky Spooky
Even though C. Martin Croker is no longer with us since 2016, Jim Conroy did a good job voicing Zorak and Moltar. Personally, I don't know how CH Greenblatt managed to get away with by bringing in the Coast to Coast cast onto Jellystone, but apparently he did.

Slight correction: Jim Conroy only voiced Zorak; Moltar was voiced by Bernardo DePaula, who voices El Kabong among others. But I agree they both did a great job; Mr. DePaula knocked it out of the park; his Moltar was almost a dead ringer for Clay.

Apparently, Andy Merrill has been trying to bring the Space Ghost: Coast to Coast/Cartoon Planet characters back on TV for years now; glad to see his machinations finally paid off. I'd like to see a new Cartoon Planet show starring these guys (including SG) but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it.

But I'm glad you decided to give Jellystone! another chance; the above is pretty much how I feel about it. I grew up watching Hanna-Barbera stuff so I admit I have kind of a soft spot for this show. I agree it's not for everybody and not every joke or story lands, but when it's on the mark it can be very entertaining.

Side note: The episodes focusing on Top Cat and his alley cat gang are always consistently good; I have yet to see a bad one. WB should really consider making a Top Cat spinoff show starring just them; I'd watch that.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Slight correction: Jim Conroy only voiced Zorak; Moltar was voiced by Bernardo DePaula, who voices El Kabong among others. But I agree they both did a great job; Mr. DePaula knocked it out of the park; his Moltar was almost a dead ringer for Clay.
Oh okay. I never knew that. Thank you.
Apparently, Andy Merrill has been trying to bring the Space Ghost: Coast to Coast/Cartoon Planet characters back on TV for years now; glad to see his machinations finally paid off. I'd like to see a new Cartoon Planet show starring these guys (including SG) but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it.
Yeah, that's great. Who knows? Maybe Cartoon Planet can come back as a reboot/ another revival in the future? We'll see.
But I'm glad you decided to give Jellystone! another chance; the above is pretty much how I feel about it. I grew up watching Hanna-Barbera stuff so I admit I have kind of a soft spot for this show. I agree it's not for everybody and not every joke or story lands, but when it's on the mark it can be very entertaining.
Thanks, dude. :)

Classic Speedy

Be vewy twippy
Staff member
Reporter
Man, I feel bad for George Lowe. Time has not been kind to his voice--he sounded really phlegmy. This may sound blasphemous, but do you think a replacement would have been better? The poor guy sounded like he was struggling to get his lines out. Was it fair to drag him out of retirement for this?
I wouldn't be surprised if they recorded it remotely at his home, I doubt they dragged him into a recording studio just to do lines for one episode.

At any rate, it's bittersweet that we get to hear him again, even if he definitely sounded older than his time on SGC2C and this MIGHT be the last time we hear him voice Space Ghost.

Goldstar!

All right-y!
This is connected to Jellystone, so I thought I'd share this.

I thought that the moment in the 2011 movie The Muppets in which the kid from Modern Family thought that Kermit the Frog was one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was cringy, then I experienced a similar moment in real life.

I was watching a clip of Jellystone on YouTube and for some reason, I scrolled down to the comments section and saw that some (obvious) kid said that they thought Jellystone! was a ripoff of Sonic the Hedgehog, and I was like "Say what???"

First, Jellystone is nothing like Sonic the Hedgehog. The characters, their original shows and Hanna-Barbera studios all existed before there was a Sonic the Hedgehog. If anything, Sonic ripped them off.

Second, Sega didn't create talking animals or the talking animal society. They don't own that concept. Cartoonists like Walt Kelly (Pogo), Richard Scary and Stanley and Janice Berenstain were doing that long before Sonic the Hedgehog was a thing. Seriously, get educated!

If anything, perhaps after seeing Jellystone, some kids might be curious to find out where these characters originated, so it could be a learning experience as well as an entertaining one.

Pooky

Staff member
I thought that the moment in the 2011 movie The Muppets in which the kid from Modern Family thought that Kermit the Frog was one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was cringy, then I experienced a similar moment in real life.

Tangent, but I always thought this joke was weird; in 2011 the Turtles weren't particularly trendy (they were actually on one of their hiatuses) and in pop culture terms they weren't much newer than the Muppets. But then that film seems to pretend the Muppets had languished in obscurity since 1979 or something.

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!
Tangent, but I always thought this joke was weird; in 2011 the Turtles weren't particularly trendy (they were actually on one of their hiatuses) and in pop culture terms they weren't much newer than the Muppets. But then that film seems to pretend the Muppets had languished in obscurity since 1979 or something.
I thought that joke was an allusion to Henson's Creature Shop working on the 1990s TMNT movies.

Last edited:

ToonDude03

“Heavens to Murgatroyd!”
Looks like Jellystone S3 will begin premiering on Cartoon Network on Saturday, August 3rd at 10am!

Attachments

• IMG_0944.jpeg
    IMG_0944.jpeg
    649.5 KB · Views: 40

TheGreatOne2

I am hoping Tara Strong, EG Daly and Cathy Cavadini back as the Powerpuff Girls and not the 2016 recast which was a stupid move on CN Part.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So, lemme get this straight. VA's have gone on strike protesting AI replicating their voices, and SAG-AFTRA signs a partnership deal with Narrativ? Apparently this is the second time SAG-AFTRA has done something like this.
Toonsylvania is a hidden gem from the late 90s, A real shame that the show hasn't been recognized since the early 2000s.
25 years ago today! Fox Kids introduced the United States to Digimon , the anime. Happy American 25th anniversary to it!
I think The Cramp Twins, the TV series, is set in the Southeastern USA. Not just because of the swamp, they also drink root beer floats too (not at A&W but at Western-themed places).

The irony is that us Europeans don't like root beer and root beer floats

Featured Posts