"Justice League vs. The Fatal Five" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Discuss "Justice League vs. The Fatal Five" and leave a rating!

• Total voters

Batboy84

I'm not worried about kids emulating the violence. What I'm worried about is whether or not a child is emotionally prepared to handle seeing people be executed, people get impaled, dead bodies with blood covering them and glass sticking out, people lying in a pool of blood, and faces getting burned off and people disintegrating. Even Bruce Timm himself said that he wouldn't let his own daughter watch Batman Beyond because he felt she couldn't handle it at her age (correct me if I'm wrong there but I think I got the gist of it). As for the profanity, I don't want my kids learning that crap, plain and simple.

Spider-Man

What I'm worried about is whether or not a child is emotionally prepared to handle seeing people be executed, people get impaled, dead bodies with blood covering them and glass sticking out, people lying in a pool of blood, and faces getting burned off and people disintegrating. As for the profanity, I don't want my kids learning that crap, plain and simple.
These movies are rated PG-13. Children and kids under that age shouldn't be watching them anyways. Simple as that.

#TeamMike

These movies are rated PG-13. Children and kids under that age shouldn't be watching them anyways. Simple as that.

I feel like if you're using the DCAU designs, you should be making a product for all ages.

Even Return of the Joker, which is the darkest the DCAU ever went, can still technically be watched by kids. Yes, there are some sequences that may be a little intense for young kids (like the flashback scene with Tim), but generally it's exactly the same as the show. There's no PG-13 language or hardly any blood, and that goes for both the censored version and the uncut version.

Heck, I remember Return of the Joker first airing on Cartoon Network so the target audience was still all ages.

Last edited:

animagic1

I'm not for censorship.

As long as the content is labeled, so that you know what you're getting into, I'm fine with that. Go in whatever direction you want.

Just let a specific universe exist as is,

iammattie

Even Bruce Timm himself said that he wouldn't let his own daughter watch Batman Beyond because he felt she couldn't handle it at her age (correct me if I'm wrong there but I think I got the gist of it).

I'm not sure this point really helps with the opinion of the new movies not being kid friendly but that the shows were. I do think that it lends more credence to the "it's all up to personal preference in parenting" side of things.

I think I've said earlier in this thread that I dont care much either way if the swearing was there or not. It doesnt really register with me at all. I totally get other people being iffy about it, but I just dont see it as that big of a deal.

#TeamMike

I'm not sure this point really helps with the opinion of the new movies not being kid friendly but that the shows were. I do think that it lends more credence to the "it's all up to personal preference in parenting" side of things.

I think I've said earlier in this thread that I dont care much either way if the swearing was there or not. It doesnt really register with me at all. I totally get other people being iffy about it, but I just dont see it as that big of a deal.

The DCAU liked pushing the envelope, but it was still intended for kids and all ages.

Again, if you use those designs, of course it's going to be jarring if characters are swearing. It's completely inconsistent with what came before.

It also comes off as juvenile, and not just the profanity. The old DCAU had a fair amount of sexual innuendos, but they were funny and sometimes genuinely clever.

One example is from the episode "Mad Love" with Harley trying to seduce Joker. It's funny and clever

I fear if this episode was made today, with b.t. having unlimited freedom, we would get something like this between Joker and Harley
Which is just cringe worthy, nowhere near as effective, clever and funny as the previous scene.

Last edited:

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
I'm not worried about kids emulating the violence. What I'm worried about is whether or not a child is emotionally prepared to handle seeing people be executed, people get impaled, dead bodies with blood covering them and glass sticking out, people lying in a pool of blood, and faces getting burned off and people disintegrating. Even Bruce Timm himself said that he wouldn't let his own daughter watch Batman Beyond because he felt she couldn't handle it at her age (correct me if I'm wrong there but I think I got the gist of it). As for the profanity, I don't want my kids learning that crap, plain and simple.
Eh, if Japanese kids can handle stuff like Jojo, My Hero Yu Yu Hakusho and early Naruto then something like the Fatal Five should't be a problem for American kids

Funny that you say that when the bulk of MCU movies are PG-13 and almost every kid watched them.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Maybe there's a different standard between PG-13 theatrical movies and PG-13 TV/DVD movies. It's like how many PG rated theatrical movies of today would get G's in the 1990s.

Batboy84

Eh, if Japanese kids can handle stuff like Jojo, My Hero Yu Yu Hakusho and early Naruto then something like the Fatal Five should't be a problem for American kids
I'm actually of the opinion that Japan is too liberal with what they're willing to show for children. Should it be censored? No. But I don't think it should be shown to kids. Also, keep in mind that just because they do it doesn't mean we should. As the cliche goes, if everyone were jumping off a cliff, would you?
I was just pointing out how some parents would take issue with what was being shown. But yeah, end of the day, it's all up to personal preference.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I'm not for censorship.

As long as the content is labeled, so that you know what you're getting into, I'm fine with that. Go in whatever direction you want.

Just let a specific universe exist as is,
Making a movie from an appropriate age group is not censorship. That is an outrageous statement.

To be clear. Nobody is calling for these movies to be censored. We are requesting FUTURE movies take a child audience into account. That is a totally different thing. I find your idea that I'm advocating censorship quite offensive.

animagic1

Fone Bone,

My statement was not in regards to you or anyone else.
I am making the distinction between labeling (which I am for) and censorship (which I am against)

animagic1

All and all , I think we are all on the same page.

The artistic style, whether it's Bruce Timm's (my favorite) or any other style, I would want them to label it appropriately, as they have been doing, but keep specific worlds/universes intact with it's established tone.

Maybe have an additional label, along with the rating, that states something such as "Elseworld" "Alternate-Universe" or something to that effect.

I concur and that's how I approach online discussion too. I am glad there are no hard feelings.
Not at all! Good conversation is good conversation!

Mod Note: Double Post Merged. Use Edit or Multi-Quote instead of posting twice or more in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
I'm actually of the opinion that Japan is too liberal with what they're willing to show for children. Should it be censored? No. But I don't think it should be shown to kids. Also, keep in mind that just because they do it doesn't mean we should. As the cliche goes, if everyone were jumping off a cliff, would you?

Why not, when it comes to movies we don't pull punches and you know a lot of kids watch those so why should make sure animation is "safe" . Heck the movie Shazam is about a kid who can transform into a superhero and that movie is more hardcore than Fatal Five.

Batboy84

Why not, when it comes to movies we don't pull punches and you know a lot of kids watch those so why should make sure animation is "safe" . Heck the movie Shazam is about a kid who can transform into a superhero and that movie is more hardcore than Fatal Five.
Because in THIS INSTANCE it's an entry in a franchise that was always appropriate for all ages until now. And just because kids elsewhere watch those movies anyway in no way means MY kids will watch them at such a young age, regardless of what the rest of the world thinks of me. By having this movie appeal only to adults, they put me in a position where I can't let my kids watch it until they're older, when I do end up having children anyway. And from the looks of things, I'm not the only one here with that mindset. And for the record, I wouldn't let my kids watch any MCU type movies until they're like 10, at least.

ABrown

I finally got around to watching this movie for a second time. It was ok. I guess maybe I had my expectations set a little too high with it being in the JLU style. I mean I did enjoy it, but I guess not quite as much as I was expecting that I would.

jtstrecker

Watchtower Database
Firstly I just wanna say how proud I am to be part of this community. Like animagic mentioned earlier, I'm glad everyone is so passionate about this stuff, and that that passion has not really died down since, well, the '90s when the board was started, haha.

As far as the profanity/adult themes in recent DCAU movies go, I understand where people are coming from on both sides. In my "Will It Canon?" video on JLvsF5, I made a point to comically toss out exaggerated nitpicks of the movie I felt were silly to consider as "this means it's not DCAU canon" points, one of which being "There's blood! And cuss words! This isn't MY JLU!"

And to those in that corner, you're right. It isn't. I consider the whole "we grew up, so did the DCAU" point as pretty valid. But I also get the "my kids can't watch it" argument.

Growing up, my parents had "Star Trek" (in various forms) on in the background 24/7. I wouldn't consider myself a full-on Trekkie (or Trekker, whatever it is these days, haha--my last name suits it), but I definitely enjoy a good TNG episode every now and then. I plan to have a kid within the next year or two, and I 100% plan to have Batman cartoons on...all the time.

I'm barely nearing 30 years old, so even if I wanted to, I couldn't sound like an old man going "Back in my day!" But...back in my day...I watched Captain Picard tear a couple Borg to shreds with a tommy gun on the holodeck in "First Contact" (the "Star Trek" movies have always been way more violent than the shows). I watched 2 T-rexes rip a dude in half with their mouths in "The Lost World." I heard "the s word" for the first time in "Mimic" as I hid behind every couch cushion available.

Yes, parenting techniques vary, but I don't plan to hide my kids from these kinds of movies/scenes. Nudity? Sure. But if my kid wants to watch Superman get his ass handed to him by Tharok, leading to semi-excessive blood, I will cry tears of joy knowing I've done my job. Jessica Cruz saying "bleep" or Harley Quinn bending over in her underwear...maybe I'll do one o' the ol' "cover the ears/eyes" for a few seconds. But I'm not gonna keep them from watching the movies. It's flippin' Justice League.

Last edited by a moderator:

EmaHalJordan

I read many parents who keep their children in a cristal box!
I did not see very strong scenes!
On whether or not it is the usual JLU ..... I know each dialogue and every sound of the DCAU by heart and if THIS IS THE JLU!
There are more interesting topics to debate like what Hal Jordan does there or why Kyle Rayner has his classic suit or if we should have seen a post credits scene with Shayera!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm

Featured Posts