Marvel Animation at the D23 Expo 2019

GM_Comand

I can understand why not many wouldn't have much to say about the animation panel, this might be an unpopular opinion but Marvel animation hasnt' been very good. Even the Marvel Rising series the only really improvement I"ve seen is the show is better animated than Avengers Assemble but that about it.

TheLemsterPju

Print screen'd this before they took it down.

lowell

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Was wondering what happened to that Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur cartoon. We heard that was something Titmouse was working on ages ago. Strange they have a poster prepared and then more radio silence.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I do find it kind of odd they were teasing some big announcements, possibly with some newly (re)acquired Fox characters earlier this year. Who knows, maybe it's still too early to talk about those yet. I doubt this CGI pre-school Spidey series was Marvel's only big announcement here. We'll see if anything else comes up - D23 lasts all weekend after all. The Marvel Animation panels might have ended but news could still come out. I think we were discussing similar stuff over on DC Animation how big announcements don't necessarily have to come from cons and events like this, they could just as easily be posted online on official outlets. Personally I don't care much how new shows are announced as long as we can be sure they are coming. :p

Also nice to see there is some progress on Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur, I presume more will be officially revealed soon.

Frontier

Staff member
I do find it kind of odd they were teasing some big announcements, possibly with some newly (re)acquired Fox characters earlier this year. Who knows, maybe it's still too early to talk about those yet. I doubt this CGI pre-school Spidey series was Marvel's only big announcement here. We'll see if anything else comes up - D23 lasts all weekend after all. The Marvel Animation panels might have ended but news could still come out. I think we were discussing similar stuff over on DC Animation how big announcements don't necessarily have to come from cons and events like this, they could just as easily be posted online on official outlets. Personally I don't care much how new shows are announced as long as we can be sure they are coming. :p
I dunno. They had their own panel, you'd think it would be the high time to announce all their new shows in the works or at least showcase some titles or logos about what they have coming up :confused:.

I mean, Lane and the panel description were hyping up some big announcements but we only got the Disney Jr. Spidey show. Maybe there's more but it still feels like false advertising :(.

Unless new, upcoming, Marvel cartoons aren't being handled by Marvel Animation anymore, but by Disney in-house.
Marvel Animation really does the bare minimal when it comes to making announcements :p
Feels like Marvel Animation does the bare minimum in general at this point :sweat:.

Frontier

Staff member
It definitely sounds more involved then the Twitter reports did, even if it is pretty much all Marvel's Spider-Man centric :sweat:.

That recording for Superior Spider-Man sounds a lot of fun :p.

I guess it's interesting jumping from a full season of 26 episodes to movies. Makes me wonder how the pacing or plot development will translate. And of course there's the tie-in to Guardians :).

I said this in the main thread, but I do hope these specials get Marvel Rising-level production values. Hopefully Marvel's Spider-Man can close out on a strong note ;).

bigdaddy313

You know Spider-Man might be fine in it's story but, the show sounds just ok to me. I am not really that invested in it to be honest I didn't even miss it.

Aside from that, Marvel Rising and SAHAF, everything else coming out is done by someone else,

Adult shows = Hulu

Moongirl and Devil Dinosaur = DTA with Gypsy studios

What IF? = Marvel Movie Studios

It's like Disney is absolving everything Marvel Animated into it's productions which to me is a great thing.

Even the SAHAF seams to be animated by Disney, even if I checked the Supervising animation directors LinkedIn page, says he is working for Marvel.

And sort of related (maybe), is that today I received an email from Marvel about my account which I totally forgot I had, telling me I can't use my user name to sign in, but only with my password and email. And I can use the same account on everything Disney related website and apps which includes Lucast Arts and so on.

This makes me to sort of believe that Disney is taking more of control of there properties, at least financially.

Frontier

Staff member
You know Spider-Man might be fine in it's story but, the show sounds just ok to me. I am not really that invested in it to be honest I didn't even miss it.

Aside from that, Marvel Rising and SAHAF, everything else coming out is done by someone else,

Adult shows = Hulu

Moongirl and Devil Dinosaur = DTA with Gypsy studios

What IF? = Marvel Movie Studios

It's like Disney is absolving everything Marvel Animated into it's productions which to me is a great thing.

Even the SAHAF seams to be animated by Disney, even if I checked the Supervising animation directors LinkedIn page, says he is working for Marvel.

And sort of related (maybe), is that today I received an email from Marvel about my account which I totally forgot I had, telling me I can't use my user name to sign in, but only with my password and email. And I can use the same account on everything Disney related website and apps which includes Lucast Arts and so on.

This makes me to sort of believe that Disney is taking more of control of there properties, at least financially.
With all the layoffs that apparently happened at Marvel Animation, I would not be surprised to see Disney taking more creative control or absorbing all Marvel animated works into them.

Which I guess begs the question of where they go from here. I mean, Moon Girl is one thing, we've got a preschool Spider-Man cartoon, but what about the other tentpole Marvel brands? Will Disney Television Animation have their own takes in the works for them?

And that's not even getting into what Cort Lane teased about the Fox properties that we still haven't seen announced yet. If it even exists...

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I wish there was some kind of news about something X-Men or FF related but I'm glad that we got some news about What If? and Moon Girl. We still have more Marvel Rising and Spider-Man on the way.

I'm very interested in seeing where things go during this transition period. It's good to see Disney really getting into the mix.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
There's still the New York Comic-Con in early October, if they plan on making any big announcements this year at a con, I guess. But I presume it will only cover the 2nd half of Spider-Man season 2 and more Marvel Rising, probably.

(I'll start a new thread for NYCC speculation and discussion next week).

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I wish there was some kind of news about something X-Men or FF related but I'm glad that we got some news about What If? and Moon Girl. We still have more Marvel Rising and Spider-Man on the way.
I wonder how long they'll keep Marvel Rising. It feels like what they're putting their main effort towards, but I have to wonder how long they'll keep it going indefinitely with the specials :confused:.
I'm very interested in seeing where things go during this transition period. It's good to see Disney really getting into the mix.
It will be interesting to see if this is truly a transition period, particularly so if Disney is taking over basically running or producing the Marvel cartoons. It kind of feels like it but it's hard to know for sure :sweat:.
There's still the New York Comic-Con in early October, if they plan on making any big announcements this year at a con, I guess. But I presume it will only cover the 2nd half of Spider-Man season 2 and more Marvel rising, probably.

(I'll start a new thread for NYCC speculation and discussion next week).
Maybe it's best to go into any Marvel Animation panel expecting little so you hopefully get a surprise when they announce big stuff :p.

I think Marvel's Spider-Man was first announced at NYCC, come to think of it.

RoryWilliams

It sounds like they've parceled out the new animation projects to various other parties, not unlike when they finally allowed other studios to begin making licensed Marvel games again after Disney's game division folded.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I wonder how long they'll keep Marvel Rising. It feels like what they're putting their main effort towards, but I have to wonder how long they'll keep it going indefinitely with the specials :confused:.

Right now, I'm not really expecting anything past the three specials we are currently getting but I've felt this way twice before and I have been surprised. I don't hear anything at all about the toy and merch line, or the comics. I hope they get to a satisfactory conclusion with the animation, if it must conclude any time soon, but I'd be open to seeing them do more and more with the brand.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
It sounds like they've parceled out the new animation projects to various other parties, not unlike when they finally allowed other studios to begin making licensed Marvel games again after Disney's game division folded.
Or like how Marvel used to handle their cartoons.
Right now, I'm not really expecting anything past the three specials we are currently getting but I've felt this way twice before and I have been surprised. I don't hear anything at all about the toy and merch line, or the comics. I hope they get to a satisfactory conclusion with the animation, if it must conclude any time soon, but I'd be open to seeing them do more and more with the brand.
It just seems like it's in a weird spot in that it's not an ongoing cartoon series but has these sporadically released specials :confused:.

I think that's partially why the animation is visually much stronger then for the other Marvel cartoons, but I'm not sure how long they would keep something like that going, though I would definitely be down for more Marvel Rising :).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Please help find lost media of English dubs like DiC knights of the zodiac, 4kids Funky Cops, Gogoriki, Hasbro Idaten Jump
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Hi, Light Lucario. I just want to mention that today is my birthday. I'll be having a nice family barbecue tomorrow to celebrate. Hope to hear from you soon.
Wonder why Nickelodeon still shows We Make Fun version 1 promo even though version 2 has been updated this year?
Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.

Featured Posts