"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 7 (Spoilers)

bigdaddy313

I was looking at many reviews of this show and a lot are saying how bad it is. But here is the funny thing I very much disagree, I don’t think it’s bad at all. The only thing I don’t about the show is it’s visual presentation and maybe it’s supporting cast sometimes but other than that I think the show was quite interesting.
What do you guys think?

Frontier

Staff member
I was looking at many reviews of this show and a lot are saying how bad it is. But here is the funny thing I very much disagree, I don’t think it’s bad at all. The only thing I don’t about the show is it’s visual presentation and maybe it’s supporting cast sometimes but other than that I think the show was quite interesting.
What do you guys think?
I think the show was okay and, at its best, fairly solid even if there was a lot of missed potential and story beats or elements that were not executed anywhere near as well as they could have been.

Couple that with the less than stellar production values, and it doesn't really work in the show's favor.

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
It's a very weird show to me because it has some ideas that could be good and tries to adapt some of the better stories from the last 10 years but then other times the writing can be so grating for some of the characters, and the presentation really holds it back. It's a shame because if you see the work a lot of the behind the scenes folks were putting in, the designs had some life and personality to them before they got through the grinder to finished product where it is just totally sterile and lifeless by the end. I think I read somewhere that some of them internally even felt the same way working on this show. I think that is one of the biggest things working against it.

Frontier

Staff member
It's a very weird show to me because it has some ideas that could be good and tries to adapt some of the better stories from the last 10 years but then other times the writing can be so grating for some of the characters, and the presentation really holds it back. It's a shame because if you see the work a lot of the behind the scenes folks were putting in, the designs had some life and personality to them before they got through the grinder to finished product where it is just totally sterile and lifeless by the end. I think I read somewhere that some of them internally even felt the same way working on this show. I think that is one of the biggest things working against it.
To a certain extent I feel like the show had some identity issues between needing to be a Spider-Man show, having to accommodate these other Spider-Characters they wanted to market, and to basically showcase these modern Spider-Man storylines that were released at the time the show was in production.

It never quite coalesced together all that well.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
To a certain extent I feel like the show had some identity issues between needing to be a Spider-Man show, having to accommodate these other Spider-Characters they wanted to market, and to basically showcase these modern Spider-Man storylines that were released at the time the show was in production.

It never quite coalesced together all that well.
You summed it up well. There was clearly some clear direction, at least at the beginning, to do something more coherent, but the need to promote modern Spider-Man material and other toy-friendly mandates took the show in an incoherent direction. Season 3 had this issue the worst, where it feels the creators really didn't want to do the Maximum Venom stuff and were interested in just continuing already-established characters and dynamics.

bigdaddy313

You all make very valid points 100%, I can sometimes see why Kevin Shinick very suddenly disappeared after season 1 only for wyett and co taking over season 2.
But d way people are saying it’s d worst Spider-Man, I just don’t agree with at all.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts