"Marvel's Spider-Man: Homecoming" News & Discussion Thread Part 2 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg91

Reporter
Either she's trying to keep it a secret or she legitimately isn't playing MJ which is interesting. Could MJ appear in a sequel and would Marvel/Sony cast a white actress or not? Anyway, I'm not surprised if she's telling the truth. Her character certainly doesn't sound like MJ.

Frontier

Staff member
Much as I would like to take her at face-value, the way these things work it's equally likely she's just trying to cover for the leak as to who she's playing :sweat:.

And when we have examples of Marion Cotillard denying being Talia, and Benedict Cumberbatch denying being Khan, it's not that much of a stretch :rolleyes2:.

the greenman

Much as I would like to take her at face-value, the way these things work it's equally likely she's just trying to cover for the leak as to who she's playing :sweat:.

And when we have examples of Marion Cotillard denying being Talia, and Benedict Cumberbatch denying being Khan, it's not that much of a stretch :rolleyes2:.
Yeah, I'm kinda tired of the rumor one way or the other. Personally, I don't think they should give Peter MJ this soon. Let him play the field, he's young. It would be a big mistake if Marvel allows SONY to intro her this quickly, at least without the classic teasing. They could tease her for years in hype. Though, I think Harrier playing Liz is perfect. Even though I had her pegged as MJ cause of her height and look. Honestly, I'm really starting to regret not getting Grant Gustin as Peter and Bella Thorne as MJ. I mean, with glasses, he looks exactly like Ditko's version and yeah the red hair on BT. Alas. . .

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

11/22: True. Something to keep in mind but none of those examples are Marvel Studios. ;) But yeah, it's possible she is. But Michelle for now. Maybe we'll hear cast news mid-December to early January.

11/29: Jon Watts posted a BTS video of a performance capture session with Holland.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Description of the footage shown at Brazil's CCXP convention.

"Marvel's Ryan Penagos was at the panel, and offered up a brief description of the very brief footage on his personal twitter account."

'"The Spider-Man: Homecoming footage was short but AWESOME," Penagos wrote. "Starts from Spidey's POV [Point of View], talking with Happy Hogan (Jon Favreau). There's a case from Tony Stark with an "upgrade" for Spidey. Then we see Spidey leap off a building, open his arms, web wings!"'

"Yes, Spidey's new costume upgrade from Tony Stark will include the ability to fly, or at least glide. Penagos said, "there were a few more flashes of shots," but he couldn't remember them well enough for a full description. He noted that the "web wings" were "the classic underarm webbing," more akin to what Steve Ditko used to draw than any huge full-featured wings."

Greg91

Reporter
Description of the footage shown at Brazil's CCXP convention.

"Marvel's Ryan Penagos was at the panel, and offered up a brief description of the very brief footage on his personal twitter account."

'"The Spider-Man: Homecoming footage was short but AWESOME," Penagos wrote. "Starts from Spidey's POV [Point of View], talking with Happy Hogan (Jon Favreau). There's a case from Tony Stark with an "upgrade" for Spidey. Then we see Spidey leap off a building, open his arms, web wings!"'

"Yes, Spidey's new costume upgrade from Tony Stark will include the ability to fly, or at least glide. Penagos said, "there were a few more flashes of shots," but he couldn't remember them well enough for a full description. He noted that the "web wings" were "the classic underarm webbing," more akin to what Steve Ditko used to draw than any huge full-featured wings."
It's nice to hear Happy Hogan is officially in Homecoming since Marvel Studios didn't directly reveal his role in the movie. It almost sounds like Tony is Lucius Fox to Peter's Bruce Wayne, supplying him with cool gear. It's cool that the classic underarm webs will be utilized in live-action for the first time. It will be nice to see how they are used.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It's nice to hear Happy Hogan is officially in Homecoming since Marvel Studios didn't directly reveal his role in the movie. It almost sounds like Tony is Lucius Fox to Peter's Bruce Wayne, supplying him with cool gear. It's cool that the classic underarm webs will be utilized in live-action for the first time. It will be nice to see how they are used.
Hmm, probably to fight the Vulture more effectively in the air since Tony's too busy apparently to suit up. :p

Frontier

Staff member
I hope Tony Stark handing Peter teched out Spider-suits doesn't become a thing with the new Spider-Man franchise.

This is Spider-Man, not Iron Man 2.0 :sweat:.

Though it'll be awesome to see the undearm webbing finally make it into a movie :D.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Actually Frontier this could actually be quite beneficial to the character dvelopment.

Ever since we heard that Spider Man was going to be in the MCU and that one character from it would be in Homecoming I was hoping it would be Tony Stark/Iron Man. As I wanted them to address head on why a Spider Man is so important in a movie franchise with people like Iron Man in it, so why not do it directly? Like what if one character arc Peter has is that he gets a bit overly reliant and cokcy just using Tony's stuff and that backfires and we see him have to bust out his own personal ingeunity and brain and show why that's so important? Remember Spider Man is suppose to be one of the smarter and more clever Marvel characters so I would want that on display in this movie and show again why it's needed in a world with people like Stark, Strange Pym and others.

Frontier

Staff member
Actually Frontier this could actually be quite beneficial to the character dvelopment.

Ever since we heard that Spider Man was going to be in the MCU and that one character from it would be in Homecoming I was hoping it would be Tony Stark/Iron Man. As I wanted them to address head on why a Spider Man is so important in a movie franchise with people like Iron Man in it, so why not do it directly? Like what if one character arc Peter has is that he gets a bit overly reliant and cokcy just using Tony's stuff and that backfires and we see him have to bust out his own personal ingeunity and brain and show why that's so important? Remember Spider Man is suppose to be one of the smarter and more clever Marvel characters so I would want that on display in this movie and show again why it's needed in a world with people like Stark, Strange Pym and others.
That would be an interesting way for things to play out, one I certainly wouldn't mind :).

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Hmm, probably to fight the Vulture more effectively in the air since Tony's too busy apparently to suit up. :p
Gotta be honest, I never liked the underarm web and was relieved that Civil War didn't include them. I hope they don't have fly too much, it kind of defeats the purpose of Spider-Man. Why web-swing when you can fly?

the greenman

That would be an interesting way for things to play out, one I certainly wouldn't mind :).
I actually get what both of you two are coming from, but we have to see just how geeky Peter is in this universe. So far, I think Spider-Man 2 & 3 and both Amazing films showcased him as smarter than the average bear. They just need to balance him being an awkward nerd with being Spidey. So far, we know the Raimi Spidey wasn't funny at all, and Amazing Peter could easily be a suspect for Spidey. The thing I don't want is every MCU hero being jokey jokey. I didn't like Dr. Strange cracking jokes, though I didn't mind it much since no one knows the character. However, I hope they just be careful. Its one of the reasons DC deliberately wanted to go completely dark and dire besides having Nolan Bats leading the way there.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
Favreau talks about his role as Happy in Homecoming.

In a recent interview with CinemaBlend, Favreau took a moment to address today’s footage and whether he’d be a major player in the film. The actor kept quiet, but he did say this about his role: I'm like... I'm looking after him [Peter]. He needs someone to help him out.”

I actually get what both of you two are coming from, but we have to see just how geeky Peter is in this universe. So far, I think Spider-Man 2 & 3 and both Amazing films showcased him as smarter than the average bear. They just need to balance him being an awkward nerd with being Spidey. So far, we know the Raimi Spidey wasn't funny at all, and Amazing Peter could easily be a suspect for Spidey. The thing I don't want is every MCU hero being jokey jokey. I didn't like Dr. Strange cracking jokes, though I didn't mind it much since no one knows the character. However, I hope they just be careful. Its one of the reasons DC deliberately wanted to go completely dark and dire besides having Nolan Bats leading the way there.

I hope he has more of the classic Spider-Man attitude and quips in this movie. I think that was one of the major things lacking from Holland's portrayal in Civil War, in my opinion.

Spideyzilla

Staff member

The way I view Spider-Man is that putting on the mask allows him to be the sarcastic wise guy he wanted to be in real life, but I guess couldn't be because of who he was as a nerd. No one expects the nerd in the class to be the class clown, and Peter was always seen as being pretty serious. I think putting the mask on allows him a bit of a release to explore other aspects of his personality that he couldn't show as Peter Parker, hence the wisecracks. That's how I see it, anyway. I also wouldn't say every MCU hero is always telling jokes. Cap is fairly serious, and most of the humour that comes out of him is fish out of water jokes, which have kind of disappeared. Black Widow also doesn't tell many jokes. Of course, they all have a few funny scenes here and there, but not all of them are played for laughs. Marvel seems to have found the perfect balance on when to give a funny scene to an otherwise serious character in order to keep them from being depressing. That's why they've succeeded where DC has failed, or at least for me. When you think about it, Civil War is a pretty dark movie, especially the last half hour. There's good balance in the MCU, and that's the key.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Actually Frontier this could actually be quite beneficial to the character development.

Ever since we heard that Spider Man was going to be in the MCU and that one character from it would be in Homecoming I was hoping it would be Tony Stark/Iron Man. As I wanted them to address head on why a Spider Man is so important in a movie franchise with people like Iron Man in it, so why not do it directly? Like what if one character arc Peter has is that he gets a bit overly reliant and cocky just using Tony's stuff and that backfires and we see him have to bust out his own personal ingenuity and brain and show why that's so important? Remember Spider Man is suppose to be one of the smarter and more clever Marvel characters so I would want that on display in this movie and show again why it's needed in a world with people like Stark, Strange Pym and others.
Yes, especially if a certain villain knows Stark Tech very well and figures out a way to neutralize Spidey's mid-fight and whups him.

Greg91

Reporter
The thing I don't want is every MCU hero being jokey jokey. I didn't like Dr. Strange cracking jokes, though I didn't mind it much since no one knows the character. However, I hope they just be careful. Its one of the reasons DC deliberately wanted to go completely dark and dire besides having Nolan Bats leading the way there.

Thank-you. Doctor Strange (the movie) was too jokey for me. It was still good, but I was hoping for a Captain America: The Winter Soldier tone based on what the trailers showed. Strange himself was cracking a few too many jokes. Hopefully his next appearances will show him mature a bit in his magical training. I like that characters like Banner, Thor and Black Widow aren't making jokes all the time. Iron Man does that. Ant-Man does that. Hawkeye does that. Spider-Man should definitely do that, but not all the heroes. At the very least, it seems like Black Panther will be a more serious movie. :D
Favreau talks about his role as Happy in Homecoming.

I hope he has more of the classic Spider-Man attitude and quips in this movie. I think that was one of the major things lacking from Holland's portrayal in Civil War, in my opinion.
For real? I'm surprised. I thought Holland was totally jokey and quippy. Some people said he was too jokey. When wasn't he acting like classic Spider-Man (humor wise) to you?
This makes sense. Well, the more effective fighting part. I think Tony's not going to fight Peter's battles. Unless there's a major threat in this movie, I don't think we'll be seeing the Iron Man armor which is good.

Frontier

Staff member
For real? I'm surprised. I thought Holland was totally jokey and quippy. Some people said he was too jokey. When wasn't he acting like classic Spider-Man (humor wise) to you?
For most of the airport fight. He was more babbling and geeking out then he was actually cracking wise, in my opinion, and his comment about Cap's shield defying the laws of physics was the only actual quip I can recall him saying.

This makes sense. Well, the more effective fighting part. I think Tony's not going to fight Peter's battles. Unless there's a major threat in this movie, I don't think we'll be seeing the Iron Man armor which is good.
Unless one looks at the Spider-Man suit as a lower grade Iron Man armor :sweat:.

the greenman

I think we have to give Marvel a pass on CW as he clearly was just a special guest star. The writers needed to focus on the main story beats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts