"MeTV Toons" Network Launching on June 25th

ToonRo

So far, Thunderbirds is the only show on MeTV Toons to have a motion interpolation (aka soap opera) effect applied, like with many other (non-animated) 24FPS/Filmed HD shows that air across the Weigel networks.
The interpolation effect basically makes the shows shot on film appear as if they we're videotaped (30FPS, in this case).

Mini-rant: It's not a bad effect, but I'm really hoping that with the recent show acquisitions for MeTV Toons, that Weigel retires the interpolation effect entirely for future show acquisitions (animated or not). (It'd be even better if they retired it for the affected shows currently on the air as well.)
Because this should only be a feature that TV viewers can turn on themselves, and not forced on by TV networks.

Luckily though, they have retired the interpolation effect for The Flintstones, as on early airings of the first couple of HD-remastered Season 1 episodes on the original MeTV, while camera panning has appeared smoother, there we're some weird frames between some character movements (like disappearing outlines in the movement direction, iirc).

Moe

MeTV Toons on Frndly seems have tech issue and not running, so stuck at blank screen - started after 5 am central time zone. UPDATE: It is fixed and running normally now after 6 am.

3) I did try to look for MeTV Toons in my local area (Miami) that was listed on Rabbit Ears (Channel 33.7 WBFSTV7), and it wasn't even there. I did look up MeTV Toons' official website, and my local area wasn't listed yet either, which is odd. So I guess it won't be out until things get settled after its launch, who knows?
I noticed they said "soon" and don't know about low long would be.

4) I'm not interested in paying Friendly TV or Philo TV just watch one channel. Plus, both of those platforms never appeal to me anyway.
Understandable, if Weigel sell a standalone package that all of their channels, so it would be $2 per month and most of price hikes on Frndly is associated with A&E Networks and Hallmark that are expensive than Weigel because both still producing new contents. Outdoor Channel seems not cheap because they had to drop Sportsman Channel because they don't want to hike the price, also same company own Sportsman Channel and Outdoor Channel, own RSN channel - Altitude that is very expensive.

Hopefully you would able to access soon via free OTA.

And 5) I know this might sound like a bit of betrayal, but.....I've been on a Adult Swim kick lately. Hear me out. Ever since I've been loving Smiling Friends since late April of this year, I'd grew more fondly of Adult Swim as time went on. I've begin watching their old classic shows, loving the old black and white text bumpers, pool bumpers, old bumps music, and stuff like that. It was a trip. Sure, I was aggravated when AS taking over CN primetime hours and kids and family content being part of the adult label, but besides that though, I have zero problem with Adult Swim. I like Adult Swim a lot. So this is going to be my hyperfixation for a while lol
I have same feeling sometime in month when I watched Adult Swim and made me feel like optimistic.

There are many options for me to watch and can't follow all at once - I have strong interest in classic drama shows that I saw on H&I, MeTV, MeTV+ and Get, and some days, I watch modern drama shows like 9-1-1 and some NCIS series. I love it more than watch animated shows, but in some days, I watch animated shows all day.

My expression about MeTV Toons was great and it was nice to see old school cartoons that haven't seen for two decades, sometime 3 decades. Beetlejuice aired on Nickelodeon in 90s and moved to Cartoon Network in late 90s, and got removed from lineup in 2000. There is no record about Boomerang aired this show before. The Mask: Animated Series aired on Fox Family Channel in late 90s and Police Academy seems never aired on cable, so they probably on some syndication stations.

Despite about my disappointment at WBD, I want to thank them for help Weigel by supply old contents to air on MeTV Toons, and it wouldn't happen if it wasn't for WBD's help. I sees WBD as extremely friendly studio to license contents out when compared to Disney and Paramount. NBCUniversal (Comcast) supplied contents to Weigel too. I hopefully MGM-Amazon consider their strategy and supply contents to Weigel.

Not everyone have access to MeTV Toons, fortunately, WBD changed Boomerang and Discovery Family lineups to make a better, that is big plus. I do wish that WBD fix TBS and TNT to make more variety like CN and Boomerang do.

Last edited:

wiley207

Last night it was really stormy with lots of lightning and thunder, and a tornado warning near midnight forcing us to take shelter in the basement! And what did MeTV Toons show during their "Cartoon All-Stars" last night?
1719495760654.png

"Fiesta Fiasco!" (In addition to being the only Seven Arts cartoon with thunder and lightning, after the cloud zaps Daffy it turns into a tornado!) Better than Boomerang showing "The Vampire Strikes Back" or "Buccaneer Bunny" or "14 Carrot Rabbit" or "A Pest in the House", though! I think I'm actually going to REALLY like MeTV Toons!

Mejo

Jukebox Bird
Even though the intro for The Harveytoons Show doesn’t open the episode, it DOES later appear in it…after the 3rd short (Clown on the Farm if you’re wondering).
Just an addum to my post yesterday. Apparently, the second broadcast of Casper and Company contained the intro for The Harveytoons Show TWICE (before the airing of third short (Of Mice and Menace) and the airing of the last short (The Bored Billionaire) respectively)

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
Universal-owned shows on the network are mostly using off-the shelf SD video masters from the 90's and 2000's.

Universal supposedly has a restoration program in place for the animation they own, but will MeTV toons see the fruits of it? Time will tell.

ToonRo

Universal-owned shows on the network are mostly using off-the shelf SD video masters from the 90's and 2000's.

Universal supposedly has a restoration program in place for the animation they own, but will MeTV toons see the fruits of it? Time will tell.

I hope so. If MeTV Toons (re-)acquires He-Man (and possibly other Filmation shows), I hope that the remastered prints they acquire contain the NTSC audio pitch instead of the PAL prints they've been using for a while.

ATSFGuy

I'm down in SoCal. Cox is my cable provider. I looked at the list of stations and didn't see mine listed. Perhaps it will be added to the households in the southwest later on?

harry580

I wonder if metv toons can have a movie block that airs old animated movies, maybe if metv toons get someone like a willy wonka esque person to host it and play random sounds from cartoons & movies

Moe

I wonder if metv toons can have a movie block that airs old animated movies
They do have two movie specials on Sunday - it is mentioned on schedule.

I'm down in SoCal. Cox is my cable provider. I looked at the list of stations and didn't see mine listed. Perhaps it will be added to the households in the southwest later on?
If you are in Los Angeles, you can receive via over the air that is only reported by their website, however some people said Charter may carry it via retrans.

Outside of LA, nothing carry, exception of Frndly and Philo.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
It's June, I will predict they will air Hanna-Barbera Christmas specials like Boomerang used to do during uh well you know, that time of year. If I'm right remember this post uh number 692, if I was wrong this post doesn't exist.

Would also be nice if they could do Broadcast network airings of the Rankin-Bass specials that air on AMC and Little Drummer Boy (that airs on Freeform, the other 3 already air on Broadcast TV) still have them on AMC and stuff but why not have OTA too? Would be a nice little thing to work with Universal and Warner on.

Mandouga

Right now the only actual movie they're showing is “The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones”, and that’s only because The Flintstones are in it. It’s being shown as part of “The Flintstones Family Sunday”. Next Sunday, they’re going to show some of the prime time specials, and the week after that, they’re going to show episodes of “The New Fred and Barney Show”.

Personally, I’m sure they will show other movies at some point, but they’re just not doing it right now (and no, “The New Scooby-Doo Movies” doesn’t count).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aegisrawks

Right now the only actual movie they're showing is “The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones”, and that’s only because The Flintstones are in it. It’s being shown as part of “The Flintstones Family Sunday”. Next Sunday, they’re going to show some of the prime time specials, and the week after that, they’re going to show episodes of “The New Fred and Barney Show”.

Personally, I’m sure they will show other movies at some point, but they’re just not doing it right now (and no, “The New Scooby-Doo Movies” doesn’t count).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didnt say movies, I meant the half hour specials the soup alphabet main networks used to air. Getting the rights would be a game changer. It's the biggest hit they can get. And they are half hour specials

Tommypezmaster

While watching Casper and Company, I was pleasantly surprise to see an episode of the 90's revival of Richie Rich on there. Think they'll also ad the 90's revival of Baby Huey there as well?

ATSFGuy

They do have two movie specials on Sunday - it is mentioned on schedule.

If you are in Los Angeles, you can receive via over the air that is only reported by their website, however some people said Charter may carry it via retrans.

Outside of LA, nothing carry, exception of Frndly and Philo.
Look at my profile, under my avatar. It says where my location is.

Can I find it through a specific website?

Moe

Look at my profile, under my avatar. It says where my location is.
I can see now and you are in Los Angeles TV market area.

It looks like you are too far way to receive OTA channel (see note in last paragraph) and Cox carry MeTV via Must Carry (KAZA) but unlike Spectrum, they don't carry MeTV+. Question about whether Cox would carry MeTV Toons appears to be grim, but if Cox carry MeTV+, it does help to carry MeTV Toons more likely. It could be anytime after launch with no ETA.

You can try to contact Weigel and tell them about Cox in Los Angeles designated market area (DMA), and they could elect Must Carry to carry MeTV+ and it will help when Cox ask to carry MeTV Toons as well. That may take months to few years.

If you want access to MeTV Toons now, quickest option is Frndly - basic with DVR is $8 per month or standard with DVR is $10 per month. That is totally up to you. Some of us in here got it via Frndly.

Oh wait, it looks like KAZA station (from Mount Wilson) has mixed coverage in your area - buy outdoor antenna with amplifier and aim at northwest position that where Mount Wilson is located. Just don't mount permanently until you can get MeTV Toons and if not, you are in dead spot - return antenna to store. Large indoor antenna may be used if your TV is closer to end of house that is northwest, but beware of good and bad days.

Last edited:

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I just got through watching Beetlejuice. I made a post in the thread about the series coming to Apple TV about how my parents didn’t let me watch the show when I was little, despite my protesting that my friend watched it (my mom said my friend only watched that show because of her teenaged sisters). I wanted to see how “graphic” the show really was. The first 11-minute episode had him possessing a girl and turning into a big slime monster as well as a sight gag of his eyeballs popping out. That honestly might have been a bit much when I was like four. The second 11-minute episode was totally harmless and didnt have anything worse than what you would see on Animaniacs or Tiny Toons (to name shows my parents were okay with me watching at that age). Overall, it was a mixed bag but it was probably the most irreverent cartoon at the time (aside from Ren & Stimpy).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts