Rugrats - Series Talkback

Flame Alchemist

Benjo wa doko desu ka
I'd give a kidney to get a hold of some Angry Beavers episodes. I didn't start taping anything until 2003, and Nick's schizophrenic lineup at the time left me in the dark way too often so I only ever got one full eppy.
If I'm not mistaken, there are some episodes of The Angry Beavers on TurboNick. Expect a PM soon because I found a website that you might want to check out, and I don't know TZ's policy on posting links like the one I have...

PC!

lolwut?
The more edgy Paul Germain episodes of Rugrats were fantastic. I mean, wow, looking back at some of those episodes...the show got pretty dark at times, a stark contrast to the revival in '97. My personal favorite is the episode "Mega Diaper Babies."

Flame Alchemist

Benjo wa doko desu ka

gtadbzman

900 Horses of Detroit Muscle
I remember The Angry Beavers as well. That was a great show. I remember once they stayed up all night and when they finally realized they had stayed up later than just one night, it was like a hundred years into the future.

It does come on at 6am or so on Nicktoons Network, but I think they should it air it around that time on the main Nick channel on weekdays so I can watch it in the morning before I go to school. I'd prefer watching one of my favorite cartoons than the rubbish that is The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. :shrug:
That's way to early for me to watch. I would still like to see it come back to weekdays on the regular Nickelodeon. One more thing. How do you not like the Fresh Prince? It's only the best sitcom ever. jk :p

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Those darker episodes were some fine stuff. I'm guessing Germain also produced the one where Angelica fantisises about her parents haveing a new baby that turns out to be horrible? (That one always gave me the creeps)
Yup, he did. For some reason I always liked the Edward G. Robinson-esque lips on the new baby. I also liked the start of Angelica's nightmare, when her parents didn't even recognize her at first.
You know, "Pickles vs Pickles" was fantastic when I first saw it as a kid. Then the older I got the more intensely disturbing that episode became.
One thing the Germain-produced era was great at was nightmare sequences. In Pickles vs. Pickles in particular, the mood lighting, fast-paced dialog (thus giving everything an urgent feel), and tense music by Denis Hannigan added up to a memorable episode.

sdp

miscrave
aw man, this thread has reminded me of a bunch of episodes I had forgotten that are also great. I need to watch this show again, I'll only wait so long so Nick better get out dvds by then.

I also remember liking the one were they become adults in a dream or something. The one where one of the babies gets "stuck" in the mirror world was funny too.

rainstorm46

I use to love watching the rugrats when I was younger. It had great plots, great characters, and was funny. Nick airs way too much spongebob and it would nice to see the rugrats back on nick someday even though doubtful.

gtadbzman

900 Horses of Detroit Muscle
I use to love watching the rugrats when I was younger. It had great plots, great characters, and was funny. Nick airs way too much spongebob and it would nice to see the rugrats back on nick someday even though doubtful.
Spongebob is reran way way way way way to much. Sometimes like 8 times a day. Why not show Rugrats or something to cut back on the reruns. Once a day Monday-Thursday would be great to air the Rugrats. The series is still pretty popular so why not? I would definetely watch. They should bring some of the good old Nick shows like Hey Arnold, Rugrats, CatDog, etc. to cut back on Spongebob reruns.

Spongebob is reran way way way way way to much. Sometimes like 8 times a day. Why not show Rugrats or something to cut back on the reruns. Once a day Monday-Thursday would be great to air the Rugrats. The series is still pretty popular so why not? I would definetely watch. They should bring some of the good old Nick shows like Hey Arnold, Rugrats, CatDog, etc. to cut back on Spongebob reruns.

Well one reason they play SpongeBob a lot is because well, it's there most popular show (I believe I MAY be wrong) and they get good ratings on it.
But yeh, they overdo it too much on spongebob nowadays..
________
volcano vaporizer review

Last edited by a moderator:

Flame Alchemist

Benjo wa doko desu ka
Well one reason they play SpongeBob a lot is because well, it's there most popular show (I believe I MAY be wrong) and they get good ratings on it.
But yeh, they overdo it too much on spongebob nowadays..
SpongeBob is Nick's popular show right now, and it does get very good ratings, especially since it's turning 10 next year. But the studio execs don't realize that people still like it, and not just the people who watched it as a kid years ago. My 5-year-old sister wants to watch Rugrats all the time.

Kids are easily entertained, and I know it's a big surprise: but kids can be entertained by other things besides a high-pitched talking kitchen sponge.

Bryan

News/Schedules
Staff member
Reporter
I would like to see Rugrats on again, even if it's just 2pm weekdays or 6:30am.

Nickelodeon brought it back from September 17 - 30, 2007 at 6:30am (each day). I recorded and watched each episode (most were older episodes). That has since been the last time it has been on Nick.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
People never seem to tire of complaining about never ending reruns of SpongeBob, but many tend to forget that Nickelodeon aired Rugrats ad nausea back when it was Nick's highest rated show. And when the next "it show" comes along, people will complain about that show being run into the ground and will be missing the days when Nick aired SpongeBob. Just wait for it.

Bryan

News/Schedules
Staff member
Reporter
People never seem to tire of complaining about never ending reruns of SpongeBob, but many tend to forget that Nickelodeon aired Rugrats ad nausea back when it was Nick's highest rated show. And when the next "it show" comes along, people will complain about that show being run into the ground and will be missing the days when Nick aired SpongeBob. Just wait for it.

That's very true. I remember people saying "too much Rugrats", "cut down Rugrats" etc.

But I never remember Nick airing Rugrats 8x or more a day. Maybe 4 at the most (on weekdays). Weekends did tend to have marathons of it, which I didn't mind.

But yes, Rugrats did well on Nick for over 10 years. SpongeBob will hit 10 next year. I'm sure in 5 years, SpongeBob will be down to random airings and some new animated hit will have taken over.

Baby Naruto

I miss Rugrats ALOT. They better bring out Season DVD Box Sets, like they are doing with Spongebob.

Also, it airing on the main Nick Channel again would be nice, since I don't get the Nicktoons channel :(.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I remember one time SNICK did a U-Pick call in where viewers could call in and select what Nicktoons would air that night. Nick ended up showing 4 back-to-back episodes of Rugrats. Rugrats was picked each and every time. Nick should have made it a rule that once a show was selected, it couldn't be chosen again. I remember thinking, "Come on, Nick, I know it's one of your most popular programs, but don't Rugrats us to death!" Of course, My opinion may be a tad biased because I was never that big a Rugrats fan.

Flame Alchemist

Benjo wa doko desu ka
They better bring out Season DVD Box Sets, like they are doing with Spongebob.
I never thought about that. Both SpongeBob and Rugrats are very popular shows, but SB is the only one getting season sets of the two. It's not like there aren't people who'd want to buy Rugrats season DVDs, a lot of people will. Heck, didn't Invader ZIM get a series boxset? That's definitely not one of Nick's popular shows (I still enjoy it though, it's different.)

It just seems like Rugrats is getting the short end of the stick since it only has a few DVD releases here and there. I just ordered my first Rugrats DVDs recently too, since my VHS tapes are going. Even when they die, I'll keep them just because. The orange-colored tapes are awesome. :D

zoombie

I liked the original show. All of the main characters were realistic type characters. In hind sight, maybe it would have been better to leave the show be after its original cancelation.

Is just me. or did Angelica become suttly more nicier or less mean as the show went on. Especially in season 1 and 2, like in "Barbeque Story" or "The Trial", she was Vicky like mean.

They also did some jokes for the adults that were over the heads of the kids, at the time I didn't get them, but looking back now I get them. Like when they cast Tom Bosley to voice Lou's rival, the joke being that people often confuse Tom Bosley and David Doyle for each other. Or the time when they took Tommy to see a shrink, and Stu ended up having a seccsion with him, a reference to Jack Riley's role as Mr. Carlin on the Bob Newhart show.

I don't know how you feel about this, but I would like to have seen the series conclude with the main characters all grown up with kids of their own, and just inform what type of jobs they had. I know that might not be popular, Digimon Adventures took a lot for flack for doing a similar ending, but it would have bring some closure for me. Or even just for a canon debate moment like the end of FOP Channel Chasers. It was a trip to see Timmy all grown up, I would feel the same way for Tommy and the gang.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baby Naruto

I never thought about that. Both SpongeBob and Rugrats are very popular shows, but SB is the only one getting season sets of the two. It's not like there aren't people who'd want to buy Rugrats season DVDs, a lot of people will. Heck, didn't Invader ZIM get a series boxset? That's definitely not one of Nick's popular shows (I still enjoy it though, it's different.)

It just seems like Rugrats is getting the short end of the stick since it only has a few DVD releases here and there. I just ordered my first Rugrats DVDs recently too, since my VHS tapes are going. Even when they die, I'll keep them just because. The orange-colored tapes are awesome. :D

Indeed, those orange colored tapes are WIN :D.

Flame Alchemist

Benjo wa doko desu ka
Indeed, those orange colored tapes are WIN :D.
They ruined it when they switched to regular, boring black tapes. I have a black "Rugrats Christmas" VHS. It must've been save costs after the "revival" following the cancellation.

Why did they cancel Rugrats in 1994 if it was their most popular show? It was only 3 years at that point... (and I wasn't even a year old!)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

It's such a shame that the anime with the long-pink-haired girls like Hinagiku Katsura and Bocchi are never officially dubbed into English. What do you think?
Vuxovich wrote on Yojimbo's profile.
Do you know why Bocchi the Rock! wasn't dubbed into English? Is this because of the strong Japanese setting or something else?
Notable fact about one of the new characters introduced in the second season of Star Trek: Prodigy is that she's named after franchise creator Gene Roddenberry's wife Majel Barrett.
I'm burned out from binge watching new stuff, hence I'm planning to watch three episodes per day for the final two seasons of The Dragon Prince starting with the upcoming sixth season Book Six: Stars later this month because Netflix really should've went the weekly episode format.
I did plan to post my thoughts on Tales of the Empire on the Tales of the Jedi talkback thread two months ago, but I decided to post it here, so I saw it and found Barriss' storyline to be the best of the two, hence given the ending, I hope she appears in Ahsoka season 2.

Featured Posts