Toonzone/Anime Superhero 2024 Battle of the Brackets- Best Animated Disney Feature

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Welcome to:

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" Tournament (2024 edition!):
Best Animated Disney Feature!!

Welcome to the 10th Annual (we don't talk about last year) Toonzone "Battle of the Brackets" event!
Done in the style of the NCAA basketball tournament, this event will pit 64 classic features against each other in a battle to the death! (or something like that).

As the 100th birthday of the Walt Disney Company is still active, we've decided to celebrate their history of animation for this year's bracket.

For the 1st year's main tournament thread, click here. (Theme: American Action Cartoons)
For the 1st year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Batman the Animated Series)
For the 2nd year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Sci-Fi/Fantasy Animated Movies)
For the 2nd year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Spirited Away)
For the 3rd year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Adult Swim 15th Year Anniversary)
For the 3rd year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Full Metal Alchemist / FMA: Brotherhood)
For the 4th year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Toonami 20th Year Anniversary)
For the 4th year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Dragon Ball Z)
For the 5th year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Best of the 90's Animated Shows)
For the 5th year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Hey Arnold!)
For the 6th year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Best of the 2000's Animated Shows)
For the 6th year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Justice League / Justice League Unlimited)
For the 7th year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Warner Bros. vs Disney)
For the 7th year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Batman Beyond)
For the 8th year's tournament thread, click here (Theme: Nickelodeon vs Cartoon Network)
For the 8th year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Ed, Edd n' Eddy)
For the 9th year's tournament thread, click here (Theme: Best of the 2010's Animated Shows)
For the 9th year's tournament results, click here (Winner: Craig of the Creek)

How it works:

There will be two threads a day, with battles (aka voting) lasting for 24 hours, one thread for the "Earssentials" conference, and one for the "Modern Mousterpieces" conference, aside for the weekends, where you have 48 hours to vote for two matches in each conference. I will update the threads each night, listing that day's contenders. Voting is done by posting in the thread which of the two shows you support. Just one vote per forum member please, per day.
For current tournament standings, click here.

"So what's eligible to appear in the tournament, and what's not?

First, let's focus on what we've decided not to qualify

• No features made from 2020 onwards- seems like a good cut-off point, especially with Disney+ releasing at the end of 2019.
  • No sequels- the original films should count for themselves, but if you want to qualify a franchise for one vote, that's up to you
  • No live-action hybrids, with one notable exception
  • No features based off a TV series, with one notable exception (that some may argue wouldn't count)
  • No package features with one arguable exception

With this in mind, we're qualifying features from Walt Disney Animation Studios- all time icons like Cinderella and The Lion King, underrated favorites like The Great Mouse Detective and Atlantis: The Lost Empire, recent faves like Frozen and Zootopia, and everything in between- Pixar's work from Toy Story to Coco, and a handful of beloved features from other Disney departments, like The Nightmare Before Christmas and A Goofy Movie. Third-party acquisitions like Blue Sky won't qualify.

These films will compete in two brackets- the Earssentials, which focuses on the studio's earlier films, and Modern Mousterpieces, which tackles their late 90's films up to the late 2010's. One match in both bracket per day.

And now for the actual tournament (voting) threads:

Round #1 of the "Earssentials" Conference!
Round #1 of the "Modern Mousterpieces" Conference!

Last edited:

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I called it the "Experimental era" in my post (thinking it was my own creation).

Then I saw Darklord call it that as well. So I did a search, and that IS what the era is typically called?!?

But that resulted in me finding this really cool article, and since we're discussing all things "Disney Films", here's an article ranking the different eras of Disney Films:

EDIT: Only thing I take issue with is saying the "Revival Era" is still going on now (and I always called it the "Neo-Renaissance"?). Whatever you call it, I think it's over. We're in a new era. Maybe "Frozen 2" was the end, maybe "Encanto". I'm still debating it. Both of those films were hits but they forgot how to have bad guys.

"Raya and the Last Dragon" and "Strange World" feel like we're in a "New Experimental" era.

Last edited:

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Yes, I've seen the Experimental Era used for a while now, and it does make sense, even with those last handful of hand-drawn features, they're cut from a different cloth than Beauty and the Beast or even Hercules. I do think Tarzan is more of a crossing point and could arguably fit just as much in Experimental than Renaissance, but I understand why it's considered the end of the latter than the start of the former.

And I definitely agree that the Revival Era has ended for a while (I lean towards Princess and the Frog codifying it, with Meet the Robinsons and Bolt pushing towards that period the same way Great Mouse Detective and Oliver & Company feel Renaissance-adjacent- I guess that makes Enchanted the era's Roger Rabbit?), but I can't pinpoint where it finished, exactly, or what to call this new period. I think John Lasseter's departure is one of the defining points and the next era had already been in motion post-COVID, but I can't decide if Ralph Breaks the Internet and Frozen II were the end of the Revival, or start of something new. I also don't think we've had a stone-cold classic from WDAS in ages, either, with Encanto being the closest. But that's neither here nor there.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I think the current era started with Ralph Breaks the Internet. That’s when movies started going downhill. I’ve been calling this time the “Post Revival Era”. Encanto is this generation’s Lilo & Stitch.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I think the current era started with Ralph Breaks the Internet. That’s when movies started going downhill. I’ve been calling this time the “Post Revival Era”. Encanto is this generation’s Lilo & Stitch.

Yep, that is the debate. People feel like "something changed" around "Ralph Breaks the Internet" or "Frozen 2", or "Raya and the Last Dragon"....or possibly Encanto, if you consider it the "last good one" before the change (like how some see "Tarzan" as the "last good one" of the Disney Renaissance, so that's where they ended it, but arguably "Fantasia 2000" could be a Renaissance film).

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Yeah, sorry, Bonus matches are playing catch up. But after this weekend, we'll see how the main tournament looks, as we get close to the end of the Round 2!

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
... I accidentally posted the wrong match for Modern Mousterpieces this weekend. Mulan and Hercules is meant to be later in the bracket, and we should have had Lilo & Stitch vs Frozen instead. I'll try to rectify this later.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
... I accidentally posted the wrong match for Modern Mousterpieces this weekend. Mulan and Hercules is meant to be later in the bracket, and we should have had Lilo & Stitch vs Frozen instead. I'll try to rectify this later.

Don't sweat it too much. As long as each match gets to occur, the order perhaps doesn't matter.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Hi everyone, I wasn’t feeling so hot last night and have another early day today, so I didn’t get around to starting the next macthes. I apologize, but we will leave these battles open if you need a chance to vote until later tonight.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts