"Young Justice" News & Discussion Thread, Part 36 (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member
No-one was in immediate danger so it wasn't a cliffhanger. Obviously we don't know whether Kara and/or Mary will be saved from Darkseid, but one can easily just say that yes, they will probably be turned to the side of good at some point. Or maybe they won't. In any case, that little post-credits scene certainly made for a dramatic tease, but it wasn't a cliffhanger.

In any case, while I'm not fond of the Black Mary twist, I like the fact that Mary Bromfield/Sergeant Marvel may have more screen time if there is a fifth season. And I see nothing wrong with the Supergirl twist -- Earth-16 is a parallel universe, so I'm fine with her debuting as a villain.
I hope their storylines don't turn into the next "Jason Todd as Red Hood." Young Justice is honestly starting to turn me off on slow burns :sweat:.

Apparently Kara is one of Greg Weisman's favorite characters so he'll probably do right by her. I don't have as much confidence in their interpretation of Mary, but at least it'll probably mean Furies we can take seriously again compared to in "Terminus."

Parker-Shepherd

Someone mentioned that there might be an announcement if there's another DC Fandome event later this year.

From what I've heard, things are still being sorted out since Discovery channel and WB merged.

If I'm not mistaken, this has happened before such as when Disney acquired Fox Studios.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
(I hope nerdy discussions are allowed?)

Do we have any inscriptions of Atlantean in Young Justice or the comics other than Kαλδυρ'αμ? I wonder how some English sounds are spelled in Atlantean, namely:

ay (day) = ει
ie (die) = αι
ou (mouth) = αυ
o (more) = ο or ω?
o (go) = ο, ω, ου or ωυ?
sh (sheep) = σι
ch (cheap) = τσι
j (just) = ζι

I also wonder how b and v are distinguished in Atlantean. μπ and β like in Modern Greek?

Frontier

Staff member

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Weisman says a few more things about Mary:
I wouldn't call Sergeant Marvel evil.

But things did get problematic, and she was beginning to spend less and less time in her Mary Bromfield form. And even as an eleven year old, she was starting to do things more appropriate to Sergeant's 18-year-old body. The feeling among her friends and family was that it had to stop. This didn't happen over night. She promised to cut back - and meant it - but kept backsliding. Eventually, she was convinced to give up being Sergeant cold turkey.

Mary is the one who was adopted right away, as a baby by the Bromfields. It's Billy who was in the orphanage for years before becoming Captain Marvel (now Shazam) and finally being fostered by Uncle Dudley (who is not his actual uncle).

Frontier

Staff member
"And even as an eleven year old, she was starting to do things more appropriate to Sergeant's 18-year-old body" - Uh...Kind of wondering about the implications of that. Like, clubbing? Relationships :confused:?

I guess it's kind of ironic that the sibling who was adopted right away ended up having more issues than the one who was raised in foster care and by a fake uncle. Sounds like that was deliberate :(.

(I didn't think the Marvel Family needed an addiction story, let alone with Mary, but here we are...)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
"And even as an eleven year old, she was starting to do things more appropriate to Sergeant's 18-year-old body" - Uh...Kind of wondering about the implications of that. Like, clubbing? Relationships :confused:?
Ammo for the fanfic writers...

I guess it's kind of ironic that the sibling who was adopted right away ended up having more issues than the one who was raised in foster care and by a fake uncle. Sounds like that was deliberate :(.

(I didn't think the Marvel Family needed an addiction story, let alone with Mary, but here we are...)
The more Weisman says, the more I'm perplexed. We really need a tie-in comic or something to focus on the Shazam Family's history.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'm sorry, these ideas are outright gross. Am I allowed to say that? Seriously skeeved out by that.

Holy crap. What the actual hell?
Yes, the lack of context/implications in the reply are awful. But let's not let our worst fears overwrite what we think he could be talking about.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Yes, the lack of context/implications in the reply are awful. But let's not let our worst fears overwrite what we think he could be talking about.
I think he specifically was ambiguous because he knew how awful it would sound out of context. Let me ease his worries there. There is NO context that idea could exist that isn't awful. What could be an interesting thought experiment on game night playing Scruples in an actual story featuring characters we care about? Indefensible. Seriously creeped out right now.

Edit:

I have noticed something very alarming about talented male writers who work in genre, especially popular ones. They will do a scene or idea as harmful as this one without ever registering how harmful it is. As a writer of two strong female characters this notion haunts me. I don't necessarily think Weisman is an actual creep. But I think he's been listening to his own hype from his fans for so long that he isn't detached enough to see how this would come across to women and people who care about them.

And this is common. It happens to almost all male creators. I can think of many examples not just from questionable creators like Joss Whedon, George R.R. Martin, or Russell T Davies, but creators I actually respect like Bruce Timm, and Ira-Steven Behr, and even Dwayne McDuffie have messed up in this specific way at some point. Do I think less of Weisman for it? Yeah, but it's not exactly uncommon. It doesn't really surprise me, which is kind of sad.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.

Featured Posts