[adult swim] Promotion Sparked Bomb Scare in Boston

2dalchemist

boston-athf.jpg

man they look very serious about this.....or someone just farted

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
You just nailed the problem with #2. It isn't that Turner put these ads up but that they got put up and no one in Boston knew about them. It's hard for me to believe that they could have been put up without someone knowing and/or getting permission to put them up. However, if that is what happened (at least in Boston's case - seems the other cities involved seem to know it was going on), then Turner just showed a huge breach in security in Boston. However, that's BOSTON's problem! If their city bureaucracy is so messed up as to have to call out Homeland Security instead of knowing, or at least double checking to find out if, something like this was going on then they need to get their act together.

Now, if Turners third party group who put these out didn't get permission to put them out then Turner should be in trouble. Still, it shows a major problem with homeland security because this ad campaign is said to have been going on for two weeks and no one in any city involved noticed? Uh yeah :eek:. Still, my guess is that other than in Boston (which isn't clear at the moment what happened) the cities did know it was going on and permission most likely was given, so the real issue here is Boston vs Turner.

One other thing, this wasn't a Hoax - a hoax is defined as "something intended to deceive or defraud." Glowing signs of a moonight flipping people off doesn't equal terrorism. The signs weren't put out to deceive anyone but as a promotion. So the only "hoaxer" would be the person who called it in, if they actually knew what they were looking at (not Turner - they never claimed they were bombs to anyone that I know of).

PS: I'm sorry but when all is said and done it was pretty darn funny seeing those signs on the news - they look like someone went nuts with a lite&brite :sweat:

Amen to that. If Turner did get permission, shouldn't someone at city hall have told them it was just an ad campaign?

Humble

Paranoid Member
Now the question is will Boston ramp up security based on the fact that the signs had been around for a while and they didn't notice.

Can someone remind me how the Mario Power-up box bomb scare turned out?

-Humble

v1cious

Haters gonna hate
The first device was found at an MBTA subway and bus station located under Interstate 93 on Wednesday morning. The device was detonated and determined to be harmless, but as a precaution the station and Interstate 93 out of the city shut down temporarily.

manheadache.jpg

you just can't make this stuff up folks.

i love America.

FireStarterLE

You don't want to see us mad
Now appearing on eBay for $275 and climbing:

1f05_1.JPG

So did the cops miss some, this is a cop selling one, or what? I'd think all of those in the Boston area would be in the hands of the PD (or bomb squad, Homeland Security, or all destroyed when they were blown up thought to have been actual bombs).

EroSennin

The Frog Hermit
I love how they call it a hoax instead of what it really was. Over baring Stupidity. See they dont want the story to be how the whole city of boston over reacted to a light brite sign.

BTW my local Fox News just said "An arrest now in a suspected terrorist threat of suspicios devices that prompted a city wide response and its connection to a cartoon series."

Moto Pete

We Bare-ly Pete's
I love how they call it a hoax instead of what it really was. Over baring Stupidity. See they dont want the story to be how the whole city of boston over reacted to a light brite sign.

BTW my local Fox News just said "An arrest now in a suspected terrorist threat of suspicios devices that prompted a city wide response and its connection to a cartoon series."

is the guy arrested connected to AS/Turner

FireStarterLE

You don't want to see us mad
you know when i first saw an image of said mysterious thing, the first thing that came to my mind was "hey, it's a Lite-Brite!"

MeggieMay

Amen to that. If Turner did get permission, shouldn't someone at city hall have told them it was just an ad campaign?
You would have thought so, wouldn't you? However, one of the inherent problems with bureaucracies are that they are made up small groups who often don't communicate with each other. So it is very likely whoever put the advertising out for Turner did ask for permisssion and probably received it. However, if that part of the city bureacracy didn't relay it on or if they weren't really the people who should have been giving out the permission to begin with, you run into situations like this (and IMO the mayor, being a elected official, is going to blame Turner over his own bureaucracy seeing the bureaucracy is made up of people who vote for him and Turner is a company based in another city and state).

Moto Pete

We Bare-ly Pete's
The network added it has placed similar devices in 10 other cities: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Ore.; and Austin, Texas. The devices, which it called "billboards," have been in place for up to three weeks, it said.
"Parent company Turner Broadcasting is in contact with local and federal law enforcement on the exact locations of the billboards," wrote Turner Broadcasting executive Shirley Powell, in her e-mail. Cartoon Network is a unit of Turner Broadcasting.

NYC LA and PHILLY are bigger Cities and they had NO Problems Just Proves Boston is stupid

Zach Logan

We are Maji!
I'm going to blame the media and the local government.
FOX News especially, put a spin on this story that made it seem as if Boston may explode.

Spotlight

Staff online

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm
It's such a shame that the anime with the long-pink-haired girls like Hinagiku Katsura and Bocchi are never officially dubbed into English. What do you think?

Featured Posts