C&C- Kekkaishi - "Her Treasure" [6/19]

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Well, they introduced a new character that sounds like Sora. At first she seemed like a good guy, turned she was a villain, but then she had a sympathetic backstory but now she's gone.

Also, the background music for tonight's episode was well done, with a nice orchestral score to complement the episode.

Beat

Retired
Well, they introduced a new character that sounds like Sora. At first she seemed like a good guy, turned she was a villain, but then she had a sympathetic backstory but now she's gone.

I still give this show 6 episodes but this will probably be the highlight.

So the show is still generic as heck. Why am I not surprised?

Well then I'm off, praying AS picks up Chikara or something to replace this. I really don't care at this point what it is as long as it's better.

FFmax

Pangoro's Bizarre Adventure
So the show is still generic as heck. Why am I not surprised?

Well then I'm off, praying AS picks up Chikara or something to replace this. I really don't care at this point what it is as long as it's better.

You do know that this is only episode 3 right? And this episode was pretty good, but why am I wasting my time, as you seem to be against the show no matter what episode gives.:shrug:

HEATXZ

Duck Knght
Great episode :anime:
I like the action scenes and the scenes when Yoki regeneration

bleachj0j

Demon Slayer in training

I still give this show 6 episodes but this will probably be the highlight.

I don't think your really trying to like any of the characters.

Beat

Retired
I don't think your really trying to like any of the characters.

Do we have to try?

as you seem to be against the show no matter what episode gives.
shrug.gif

I admit I came into this show with low expectations, and you know what? They pretty much equaled said expectations. It's not like the show managed to surprise me or make me think "OK, perhaps my initial antagonism was missplaced." Nope, it just confirmed my doubts.

FFmax

Pangoro's Bizarre Adventure
I'll just ignore the haters and assume that the majority of the people liked this episode, and it seems a lot of people are watching it because it's in the top ratings in Adult Swin.

Beat

Retired
nah your just a pessimist and frankly I dont like pessimist ill be over here enjoying the Vic Power hour :D

No, a pessimist is someone who would be antagonistic about the block, future anime releases, etc.

I'm antagonistic towards this show, because there's about 20 better recent releases that aren't Toonami level. I'm seriously hoping the ratings crash and burn this week. If last week was everyone's introduction to the show (hence ratings) I'm hoping they were as turned off as I was.

Classic Speedy

Boogie oogie oogie
Staff member
Reporter
This isn't the place for ratings comments or complaining about the show being on Adult Swim. This is a talkback thread, designed to discuss the episode in question. I let it slide the first couple of weeks, as the show was brand new so such comments were inevitable, but now it's bordering on derailing. If you haven't seen this episode and can't comment on it, kindly leave the thread.

Dark Moridin

Lurker of all Relevant Posts
Territorial dispute?

Well, things got a bit more interesting, as we catch a glimpse of what might be a multi-way power struggle for this site. I mean, there are these guardians (Kekkaishi), the shadow organization, random monsters, and now random defectors???
I have to say, watching Yoki evolve kept my attention pretty well, especially the smarter he got. And we also get to see the main character DOES have a limit, as Yoki is too big at first. Something tells me that when things eventually hit the fan, him passing this limit will be considered a Crowning Moment Of Awesome
Well, we shall see what they throw at us next week.

RockmanDash

Retired
So after watching the first few episodes I have to say this series isn't that bad at all. Heck the manga is still going on with over 300 chapters if you guys must know =P so they did pick something popular.

I enjoy the main character and Vic is doing perfect so far. Not much complaints, I'm really tempted to just watch it all on Hulu but hey, it's been a while since I got to watch an actual new anime on tv and watch it's full run.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I'm serious, Yomi is the only character I give a crap about so far in this series. After all this backstory, she better be secondary female lead.

Damn, it was a thought.

Well, here's the thing. In the manga, Yomi appears more later on, but the anime finishes before that part comes.

But no, she never becomes a main character. She can barely even be called a secondary character, IMO. She just doesn't do much.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well, I've been watching this series since the second episode, or I guess the second part of the first episode. I wasn't too impressed with the second one, but the third and this episodes made me more interested in checking this series out a bit longer. Yomi definitely was a more interesting character to me than at least Tokine, who seems to be a bit too hard on Yoshimori. Despite his honest efforts to not kill Yoki, she still calls him an idoit. Yoshimori, while a more appealing character than Tokine, doesn't seem to stand out more than the regular shonenn male lead kind of character. Plus, Yomi does have more interesting/sympathetic backstory and seeing her bond with Yoki was cute too. Though, I did think that her whole "Grown-ups always lie. I'll never trust anyone again" line was a bit too much of stretch.

Yoki becoming more of a threat was interesting. I don't know if it was because I had just finished watching the recent Brotherhood episode or if it's because Vic is voicing Yoshimori, but I thought that he was about to say transmutation instead of transformation at one point. I felt really bad for Yomi. Even when Yoki abandoned her, she still wanted to help him. Then seeing Yoki die was also pretty sad. I was so glad that she did get Yoki back, even if he was extremely tiny. I thought that it was still kind of weird that she still hated Tokine's father after all that she went through, but I just went with it.

It was a pretty good episode. Too bad that we probably won't see Yomi again. So far, the series seems to be okay. I can understand why people see it as generic, especially since that was the feeling I got from the second episode. Still, it seems pretty good, but I hope that it isn't too long of a wait to where people say the series becomes really good.

JTurner954

Paradigm City, USA
Needs more cake

I admit there were some good moments between Yoki and Yomi, but the characters in Kekkaishi are still not very likeable. I would usually watch 5 episodes before judging a show overall but I get the feeling I've pretty much seen what I need to decide I'm going to stop watching from here on in.

Right now I'll stick with Soul Eater. Better luck next time, Adult Swim.

bleachj0j

Demon Slayer in training
I admit there were some good moments between Yoki and Yomi, but the characters in Kekkaishi are still not very likeable. I would usually watch 5 episodes before judging a show overall but I get the feeling I've pretty much seen what I need to decide I'm going to stop watching from here on in.

Right now I'll stick with Soul Eater. Better luck next time, Adult Swim.

The next episodes help you like the characters better so you should tune in.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Yeah, I didn't like this. I'm asked to sympathize with this girl because she cared about her monster and wanted to prove how great it was, but how did this require waltzing into the city and pulling some second-rate villainy on our two heroes? She's still not a good person--hey Tokine I may have lost, but I still hate your father! While we're told she'll be punished for her behavior, she got off easy since the episode cheated death at the end. She's chastened anyway by virtue of the "oh no what have I done" trope I suppose, but that's still a cheat.

This show is a long, long way off from getting beyond the ordinary feel that I got from the first episode. So far seeing this reminds me of my experience viewing The Law of Ueki for a review, except a half level above that since it's at least better made and not following a tournament-style narrative.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
I have a strong feeling that if this show was on toonami, the response here would be very different.

In general perhaps, although compared to Toonami shows I'd say it's moderate so far. Many of the series from that era got off to a stronger start, I think.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So in case some of you didn't realise yet, those of you that know me from YouTube probably saw that today is a very bad day for me.
Changed to the Hungarian-flagged avatar because of a national holiday.
Whenever I get my first LPS toys (hopefully soon), I am considering doing a little unboxing video in the style of LPStubers. It would be nothing professional, I just want to show off my stuff in a fun way.
I said it elsewhere but I will say it again.

Dont worry, Me TV Toons taking its time to air the Scrappy era is nothing too bad, this is what CN did back in the day, they felt the need that people "needed to get fully tired of the old episodes" before they brought in the new stuff with Scrappy. We will see it again.
Mejo wrote on Daffyrocks's profile.
Hey Mihai, just saw that your channel was terminated.

My condolences go to you. Really hope that your channel gets reinstated.

Featured Posts