C&C- Kekkaishi - "Her Treasure" [6/19]

Funkatron

Yeah, I didn't like this. I'm asked to sympathize with this girl because she cared about her monster and wanted to prove how great it was, but how did this require waltzing into the city and pulling some second-rate villainy on our two heroes? She's still not a good person--hey Tokine I may have lost, but I still hate your father! While we're told she'll be punished for her behavior, she got off easy since the episode cheated death at the end. She's chastened anyway by virtue of the "oh no what have I done" trope I suppose, but that's still a cheat.

This show is a long, long way off from getting beyond the ordinary feel that I got from the first episode. So far seeing this reminds me of my experience viewing The Law of Ueki for a review, except a half level above that since it's at least better made and not following a tournament-style narrative.

She wasn't being villainous just because. The Karasamori site automagically powers up any ayakashi or demon there, but she couldn't just waltz in there and let her demon get stronger. She had to subdue the watchers ie Tokine and Yoshimori in order to gain enough time for Yoki to get much stronger.

purplehairedwonder

No woman should suffer at the hands of men
Staff member
She wasn't being villainous just because. The Karasamori site automagically powers up any ayakashi or demon there, but she couldn't just waltz in there and let her demon get stronger. She had to subdue the watchers ie Tokine and Yoshimori in order to gain enough time for Yoki to get much stronger.
While the explanation makes sense, the fact that it's completely forgettable speaks to some weakness in the story, I'd say.

I have to say, I was very underwhelmed by that. The beginning of this two-parter reminded me a bit of the Jin-eh story line in Kenshin where we jump from happier, character introductory episodes to something much darker and more serious. Unfortunately, Kenshin did it much better. I just couldn't bring myself to be all that interested in what was going on. Yomi just didn't do anything for me; her motivations just weren't all that interesting. And her attitude after her defeat? Bleh. I was waiting for something, anything more to happen to make things more interesting but it never quite got there.

That's how I've felt for these first few episodes as a whole. I've really wanted to like this show (and I'll give it a few more episodes before dropping it) and I've tried to connect with the characters, but I've been constantly underwhelmed by the whole thing. The first part of this two-parter was pretty good. It just didn't follow through. And that's too bad.

The Man in Black

I have 5 of broats
-"But I'm really slow..and I'm not so smart too." :p
-Wind = like +15 to Intimidate, lol Also, Yoshimori looks a lot more badass with his hair covering half his face for some reason.
-"I am a Demon Tamer, so I don't have to speak to communicate with him." "NOBODY CARES!!" xD
-Okay, young Yomi is cute.
-"I don't need you anymore!" I honestly did not see that little twist coming.
- I was surprisingly moved and happy about pocket-sized Yoki.

This episode seemed rather good.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So in case some of you didn't realise yet, those of you that know me from YouTube probably saw that today is a very bad day for me.
Changed to the Hungarian-flagged avatar because of a national holiday.
Whenever I get my first LPS toys (hopefully soon), I am considering doing a little unboxing video in the style of LPStubers. It would be nothing professional, I just want to show off my stuff in a fun way.
I said it elsewhere but I will say it again.

Dont worry, Me TV Toons taking its time to air the Scrappy era is nothing too bad, this is what CN did back in the day, they felt the need that people "needed to get fully tired of the old episodes" before they brought in the new stuff with Scrappy. We will see it again.
Mejo wrote on Daffyrocks's profile.
Hey Mihai, just saw that your channel was terminated.

My condolences go to you. Really hope that your channel gets reinstated.

Featured Posts