C&C - Rick & Morty - Season Six Talkback

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
1664124833651.jpeg

Season 6 Episode 4: Night Family.

Synopsis: The family discover Rick has been using some new technology that they want to try too. After obliging, classic Rick and Morty chaos ensues.​

Nobodyman

Umm...okay, that was an opening.

Counting sheep app. Clinically proven to pointlessly eat up your time.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Change your sleeping position, Jerry.

I'd prefer an app where you tap a button each time you see a sheep.

Gonna be the Meeseeks box all over again.

Nobodyman

Never a wasted moment.

Well, I can't see anything going wrong with this.

I feel like this wouldn't bode well for their sleep quality.

So they're basically enslaving themselves?

Isn't this essentially the plot of Severance?

The night peasants are revolting!

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
"FABsolutely ABulous."

I just get mine at Wal-Mart.

FOR THE LOVE OF YOU, RINSE YOUR DISHES!

I've seen 12 Monkeys.

Last edited:

Nobodyman

Rick's a stubborn old coot ain't he?

I guess this is our Halloween episode a month early.

Day Rick, fighter of the Night Rick.

"You dare question your Night Queen?!"

The night has become the day.

Last edited:

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Day Summer drifting away to, uh-oh, that Night Summer.

SOMNAMBULATE! SOMNAMBULATE!

No portal gun, and now no car. Thanks, Morty.

Nobodyman

No! Not Groundhog Day!

But thank you for burning Ferris Bueller (yeah, I said it, come at me).

Why are those kids playing on the swings at night?

Well, at least now they outnumber the night family 6 to 4.

Nobodyman

Rick is a man who sticks to his principles, even if it costs him his mind and his family.

Seize the day. Yes, I suppose that does have a new meaning now.

The Night Family just can't deal with this modern fast-paced world.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
"Night Family" - You know I have to say considering how season 6 has been having a huge heap of bangers dealing with major continuity reveals and revamps, incredibly interesting concepts and unique relationships that have a mix of funny and endearing, I figured we were due for a lesser episode this season. Honestly in it's first 3 episodes IMHO Season 6 has easily been the strongest season of Rick and Morty overall but yeah not every idea is going to hit the nail on the head a 100% and you'd get... well a lesser episode. And I'm talking thankfully not a totally lame dud that just didn't really work at all "Rickdepence Spray" thankfully but more a sort of middling episode like "Morticlipity." Which this reminded of as it's essentially the family against a variation of themselves though this time it's only one variation and... maybe it's just me but it feels like a fair amount of the speed and wit from these characters especially Rick is off. Like I can buy Rick being stubborn enough not to want to help clean the dishes expecting the night person to do it but one who would still be that stubborn even when the night people win or his only act of suberfuge being to make tech out of garbage and have Summer pretend to be her night person feels a bit mischaraciterized. Though more importantly felt like a lot of his one liners and jabs didn't have any weight to them whatsoever and no one was really picking up the slack. Like Rick and Morty usually fires off joke after joke with the characters because of how quickly they trash talk one another or the situation. But you don't get a lot of that here. Even a couple of episodes Summer going "Walkie talkie die hard mother f*****" felt way more like punchlines then a lot of the silence going on here and not like the situation is even that scary to be devoid of that. Feels like this was w=ritten by a first time writer who didn't quite know the voices of the characters who decided a lot of the time to not even try and thus the script comes off rather flat at points.

Again what makes this better then something like "Rickdepence Spray" though is that it is at least a lot more focused and not relying on just randomness or gross out to count as jokes and for the bits to actually play out well. And I admit it did have some good runners. I really like the idea of the Family going all Us tether side but just because the day family wouldn't properly rinse out their dishes, and I admit the idea of them spending all the family's money on vacations and not wanting to work the day jobs needed for power so giving back control was a good way to end all of this. Plus there were good jokes; Beth doing an actual positive trumpet play up (don't know if I have ever seen that joke in anything actually but it's well spaced here), if it wasn't ruined by the commericals referenceing the wub a dub lub catchphrase for the promo would have been funny and I appreciate that Rick went all the way to another planet to melt down super fancy unbreakable plates just to try and teach teh night people a lesson and his annoyance at Summer being their leader. And honestly the idea of having a chase from variations of yourself you can switch due to knocking them out while them knocking the person out was funny. Still a pretty middling weakest of the season so far. Granted okay is still godlyy compared to some shows but when the rest of the season has much higher standards this one does stand out.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Another very enjoyable episode. Yeah, this also made me think of Us except they share the same body. But definitely felt some John Carpenter in there. I don't know if I ever stopped laughing. From calling in the favor with the alien smithy just to make indestructible dishes, Summer easily fooling the Night people, Night Jerry being on their side, or the gasoline factory/dynamite museum/dry leaf storage gag, Jerry being turned on when Night Beth grabs his neck, the Adderall delivery truck, the exit sign saying "An Airport". But damn, now Rick lost his car and the family's broke. lol, the latter was how the Night people give up.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
I didn't care for all the town sight gags ("An Airport," "Dry Leaf Factory")...they felt hacky and out of place for this kind of show. Since when are Rick's surroundings as zany as he is? It really feels like "someone else" took charge of this one while Dan and Justin were busy with their own new projects.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm

Featured Posts