C&C - Sailor Moon (UNCUT) Talkback Thread [5/31-TBA]

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Well, this was a slightly darker tone than usual for early Sailor Moon. It's a shame DiC skipped it; I think kids would've LOVED this episode in the 90s.
I have a feeling that the reason that this was on the "cut to speed up
Sailor Mercury's debut"
list was this was one of those early episodes that didn't have anyone in Usagi's class as a target of Jadeite's latest plan.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
jah0u17.jpeg

Episode 7
rqP9213.jpeg

OPENING: Moonlight Densetsu by Dali
ENDING: Heart Moving by Misae Takamatsu

Usagi Learns Her Lesson: Becoming a Star is Hard Work
Friday 7/12 at 5.0 PM

Synopsis: Usagi and Naru both dream of becoming stars like Mikan Shiritori, a graduate from their school. When the girls hear that Mikan is holding a talent contest, they see their chance to achieve stardom.

This is the last of Usagi's solo adventures. She finally starts meeting the other Sailor Guardians starting next week!​

Bluebaron

So many bizarre DiC changes in this episode. It's crazy how the ronin warriors dub turned out compared to dic sailor moon. This is the episode where DiC digitally painted out the Japanese text off that mikan poster and then they more or less gave up on doing that with future text in other episodes. I guess it was just to hard for them to do. I also forget dic gave all their monsters much more menacing voices than Viz

Last edited:

animePWNS

1955-2024
Barenaked Ladies mentioned Sailor Moon in One Week, did that underwear joke in Pinch Me, and now we see that underwear joke here. I can't remember how the Japanese version went, but this kinda brings it full circle.

A censorship inconsistency from the past: In the DiC dub, Umino (called Melvin back then) getting hit by the streamer was cut in the show itself, but it was left in during the Serena Says segment.

And next week:
Mercury rises.

Last edited:

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Viz snuck in a reference to the 2000s meme that the internet is a series of tubes. This quote was taken from an Alaska Senator.
I have to imagine Dic cut the shower scene.

Grenzer

This is Kyokugen Karate... 2016 Style
I have to imagine Dic cut the shower scene.
From what I remember the DIC dub kept a good portion of it. Maybe there were a few cuts around the shots where Mikan/Saffron looked exposed but overall it was there.

This was the first episode I was able to catch on Rewind. Very odd to see it again after all these decades with the original music and Japanese references kept intact. It comes off a lot more straightforward and to the point. The old dub often kept the general plot but often added a lot of extra dialogue to the script; for example Usagi/Serena wailed for several more seconds in the bathroom and Luna had to say more to convince her to fight.

It's nice that a new generation of fans can watch this show as it was intended on TV, but I will say it is sad to see how faded the animation looks when compared to how it looked during its original broadcast in the 1990's. I hope Toei will do a restoration of the footage at some point before it gets worse.

Last edited:

Bluebaron

After the redub existed, it's weird for me to go back to the old dic dub. It's like a "kid friendly" adult swim edit of rearranged footage ala sea lab 2021. I went to watch the DiC dub version of this and wow the nostalgia feels and wow the cartoony overacting and sinister dramatic music these old kid show dubs added. hahaha.

Last edited:

zoombie

So first of all, who wants to be Cinderella? Locked up in a basement (where do you think she got the name Cinder?), being a servant in your own home, while being emotional abused by your family and in some versions included your own father, yeah that is a dream come true.

Anyway I do find this episode in that there is a big talent show event and
we don't see a certain Sailor Guardian, when she does appear I want to know where she was when this was going on?

I do feel this episode could have a been a whole different as done in different points in the series.

Usagi at first tries to team up with Naru, and than gets in a fight with her and they declare each other rivals, I could see that happening with Mina or this anime version of Rei.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
jah0u17.jpeg

Episodes 8 & 9
rqP9213.jpeg

OPENING: Moonlight Densetsu by Dali
ENDING: Heart Moving by Misae Takamatsu

The Girl Genius is a Monster: The Brainwashing Cram School of Horror
Friday 7/19 at 5.0 PM

Synopsis: Usagi befriends Ami Mizuno, the school's smartest girl, who has an IQ of over 300. But Luna, who senses an unknown energy coming from Ami, suspects her of being a youma.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Usagi’s Disaster: Beware of the Clock of Confusion
Friday 7/19 at 5.5 PM

Synopsis: Usagi and Ami go to the city to enjoy some shopping, where they find a clock store selling a clock that resembles Luna. Later that day, Usagi is happy to learn that her mother bought the exact same clock as a gift. But that night, the clocks from the store emit a strange light, making Usagi and the rest of Tokyo very impatient.​

animePWNS

1955-2024
Synopsis: Usagi befriends Ami Mizuno, the school's smartest girl, who has an IQ of over 300. But Luna, who senses an unknown energy coming from Ami, suspects her of being a youma.​
Over 300? She's smarter than Dr. Eggman!

Rukia's talking to Ichigo...

Umino references a meme from that other famous anime from back then.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So, lemme get this straight. VA's have gone on strike protesting AI replicating their voices, and SAG-AFTRA signs a partnership deal with Narrativ? Apparently this is the second time SAG-AFTRA has done something like this.
Toonsylvania is a hidden gem from the late 90s, A real shame that the show hasn't been recognized since the early 2000s.
25 years ago today! Fox Kids introduced the United States to Digimon , the anime. Happy American 25th anniversary to it!
I think The Cramp Twins, the TV series, is set in the Southeastern USA. Not just because of the swamp, they also drink root beer floats too (not at A&W but at Western-themed places).

The irony is that us Europeans don't like root beer and root beer floats

Featured Posts