Cartoon characters you feel sorry for.....

Sharklady

> Besides, despite the comic book, Rainbow *did* get paroled - his positive appearance in the Girls' 'Birthday Bash' ("Are you kidding? That was the greatest birthday party ever!") *followed* the tragedy of 'Mime For A Change.' <

I like to believe, the Powerpuffs invited Rainbow to their party because something akin to 'Clowning Glory's events actually *did* happen, and the Girls were trying to make up for the way they mistreated the poor fellow.

It is possible that's what Craig McCracken had in mind- he's stated that he doesn't care for the ending if 'Mime', either. Apparently there was some kind of network decision involved...

Lonestarr

Stop eating my sesame cake!
Staff member
Originally posted by don Jaime
Cats almost invariably get beat up for being, well, cats. I couldn't stand Tom and Jerry or Sylvester cartoons growing up, they were too vicious. And you've not seen a cat take needless abuse until you've seen the sadism that is Herman and Katnip. Even today, I tend to avoid anything with the stereotypical loser cat in it. Dogs usually don't get this treatment, but Pluto was the exception.

Then you would do well to avoid CatDog. I detest the show for this very reason.

Speaking of cats, I feel sorry for Sylvester, as well. Not Freleng's-obsessed-with-catching-and-eating-Tweety Sylvester, but Jones'-unlucky, stalked-and-victimized-by-the-supernatural Sylvester. It's not at all hard to see where John R. Dilworth got the idea for Courage the Cowardly Dog.

Donna lady

Samurai Jack attack!
Lucky and Zorba

Going off topic briefly--that's one reason I like the animated Italian kids' movie Lucky and Zorba so well. A dying seagull entrusts her egg to Zorba the cat. The hatchling is raised by Zorba and his buddies. The cats are definitely the heroes of this one.
Besides that, it's very well written (based on a poet's novel) and the characters are nicely done. Not Disneyfied.
The movie came out on video several years ago. You can still find it online, I think. Plus they show it on Toon Disney occasionally.
Well worth checking out for cat lovers and their kids.

Peace ~ Donna

Conan-san

Shinji Ikari: resions stated

I have alwasy felt sorry for Akito Tenquawa (Nadesico). I meen he was the only surviver in a attack that killed inosent people (inclusing children). When he trys to kick the jovians back end in what ever episode they
were revieled to be Human
(The one before "a reunion that came to late") he gets blown off by Megumi (and good redence IMHO, it's odd enough with a love square relationship when a person called "Reioko" is involved...)
and is rater unfarly labed a savage.

Manhunter

Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy
Rainbow the Clown, for reasons stated.

Mojo Jojo, at least in the episode where he had to babysit the Girls. There was no more justifiable reason why they had to keep beating him after he surrendered to the police.

Toad from X-Men:Evolution. I know the guy has personal hygiene issues, but yeesh! Just about everyone in the show treats him like crap.

robert

The City of Brotherly Love{need I say more?}
Cat and Dexter definatly for having to deal with such idiots like Dog and Dee Dee, although sometimes they ask for it, though I would love to remember one CatDog episode where Cat doesn't get throttled, and that "Great Parent Mystery" movie was the greatest offender of all in his case. And Brain as well- he goes too far sometimes, but he has the best of intentions of ruling the world though he also does it a bit for his own ego. Dib of course has to be mentioned for all his mishaps for mearly trying to save the world from a evil, power mad[though pretty stupid]alien. And here's one that I don't think has been mentioned- South Park's own Butters. He tries to fit in, be one of the gang no matter what crazy situation they force him to do, and do what his parents tell him for fear of being grounded, but it never works and he gets shunned enough to create his incompetant supervillain alter ego "Professer Chaos"[though that situation was pretty funny] and that ending to the "Jared gets Aides" episode[the one where they made Butters get fat and then liposuctioned]where we heard him getting beat up by his parents for smart remarks over the phone that Cartman actually made was a bit too cruel.

Nadine

Procrastinatrix
Hmm...

Here's my list, in random order:
Wile E. Coyote
Brain
Dib
Bushroot
Gromit
Buttons
Daffy
Plankton
Helga
Dr. Scratchansniff (sp?)
Pleakley
Penelope
Ickis
Schmendrick
Mojo Jojo

I think half of what makes me sorry for a character is the attitude. For example, Pepe's track record isn't much better than Wile E's, but he's completely oblivious and sees himself as a success. Since his 'failures' don't seem to register or make him unhappy, I don't really pity him in the same way.

Lonestarr

Stop eating my sesame cake!
Staff member
Another pick (and I'm almost as ashamed at myself as the rest of you that no one has mentioned him):

Furrball (Tiny Toon Adventures) - Granted, the theme song states that "Furrball's unlucky", but perhaps he's been too unlucky: he's homeless most of the time and when he does find a home, it's usually Elmyra's (or a near-sighted couple who mistake him for a dog); he's ridden with a family of fleas; he can't catch Sweetie or Sneezer; he's been pursued by Fifi, who mistook him for a skunk...OK, so it hasn't been all bad, but that is one poor kitty.

J.C.

Citizen of Cobra-La
Originally posted by Lonestarr
he's been pursued by Fifi, who mistook him for a skunk...OK, so it hasn't been all bad, but that is one poor kitty.

Lucky cat got more action then I did in my early teen years. :p

Actually, I was thinking of adding Furrball to the list, but didn't since he falls in with my earlier pick of all the furry TTA characters who were chased by Elmyra. But he definatly had the worse luck out of all the Tiny Toon characters, especially towards the end of the series when he was almost never shown as an actual student of ACME Loon and it was rare to see him onscreen without Elmyra crushing him in her arms. And while he actually likes the family of fleas that live on him, that still can't be a comfortable way to live.

Animated cats really do get the short end of the stick most of the time.

keds1017

1# Slap Boxing Champion
Charlie Brown ....The poor guy got rocks when he went Trick or Treating with his friends :( Poor guy :( :( :(

Conan-san

your not gonna like me for this one.

Herro Yui (during Gundam wing: Endless Waltz): I meen after seeing why he acts like a souless soldier you can't but fell sorry for him...

Mackenzie Rainelle

Anime Psychoanalyst
Speaking of anime characters, I think Dilandau Albatou from Escaflowne got the short end of the stick. I mean, he loses everyone he ever thought of a an ally or a friend, and it turns out he's not even real, just the product of a science experiment done on a girl who then seals him into the deepest, darkest part of her subconcious.

Eric B

A lot of people mentioned Tom, but at least Tom won sometimes, even with the dog.
But Sylvester takes too much junk from those dogs, and some others such as the rooster in the one on the farm. Then He lets the dog paint him yellow and "sings" to take the missing Tweety's place save the dog's hide from Granny. Sylvester himself gets in trouble because of tweety, so now why is he going to help his other nemesis who has been beating him up get out of trouble. Why not just run away? (The same for both Pappy's Puppy, and Tom on "That's My Pup", where they now have to help teach this new dog (the pup) to chase cats!)
And on Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries, it's nothing but the dog beating him up and other things falling on him, etc. I practically can't watch it because of that.
Hapless characters like this are precisely why I liked Scrappy in the 2nd and 3rd seasons (Scary Scooby Funnies) so much. They need some nephew like that to splat or at least challenge these bulldogs. (Sylvester Jr. is similar to Scrappy in urging his father to action, but is not confrontational. Cross him with Henery Hawk though, and then you wouild have it)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dub

BOB-OMB!
OMG - I've beenw atching Excel Saga now and I have to say that Pedro and Menchi are just getting ALL my sad factors right now. XD

Everytime Menchi finds happiness - Excel DRAGS HIM AWAY all over again. And how can you NOT like him with that cute face.

And Pedro... ;__;

As weird as this is to say, within this entire thread: Who knew that human suffering could be so funny? XD XD XD

Mackenzie Rainelle

Anime Psychoanalyst
Originally posted by Eric B
Hapless characters like this are precisely why I liked Scrappy in the 2nd and 3rd seasons (Scary Scooby Funnies) so much. They need some nephew like that to splat or at least challenge these bulldogs. (Sylvester Jr. is similar to Scrappy in urging his father to action, but is not confrontational)

You're kidding, right? I HATED Sylvester's kid! I mean, how can you like a character who's even NAMED "Spoiled Brat"? And all the crap poor Sylvester went through because the annoying little creep kept saying he was ashamed of his father...

Jack

Rabbit of Tomorrow!
Originally posted by Mackenzie Rainelle
You're kidding, right? I HATED Sylvester's kid! I mean, how can you like a character who's even NAMED "Spoiled Brat"? And all the crap poor Sylvester went through because the annoying little creep kept saying he was ashamed of his father...
His name was Sylvester Junior. Sylvester just referred to him as a spoiled brat in one cartoon ("Goldimouse and the Three Cats").

I like Sylvester Jr., though. The cartoons were good, especially the early ones with Hippety Hopper.

Jack :D

Dub

BOB-OMB!
I always found Sylvester Jr. inconsistent between directors. Almost like Chuck Jones "Greedy Daffy" vs Bob Clampett's "Wacky Daffy"

Under Robert McKimson, Junior was a good and smart kid, if not often emabarrased by his father and/or shaming him into doing something.

Under Friz Freleng, he was shown as a spoiled rotten brat. :p

Wasnt McKimson the one who created him?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts